NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 01-22-2019, 08:16 PM
sfh24

Default Condition Expectations

I recently purchased a 1972 Topps partial set 755/787 that was advertised as "NM" for $728. The description indicated that the set was EX-NRMT with 10% lesser.

The set arrived today and as I was going through the cards I noticed water damage on several cards (including nearly every star). After noticing the damage I started going through the cards very closely and found well over 100 with clear water damage and a solid 100 more with discoloration from likely similar exposure.

***water damage is significantly more offensive to me than normal wear.

I am generally reasonable and expect to find cards that will need to be replaced when I purchase a set/lot. I do not get upset because a few cards slip through below grade.

In this case, I opened a return to send the set back. I felt that if I kept the set I would likely be finding more damages for the next year and ultimately end up having to replace many more as I looked at the set more closely over time.

Where do others draw the line on this type of purchase?

Last edited by sfh24; 01-22-2019 at 08:18 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:20 PM
Sean McGinty

I usually give a bit of leeway on condition descriptions for big lots or partial sets and figure that so long as they haven't exaggerated it too much I'll let it pass. But getting water damage on star cards on a set with a description like that would be crossing the line with me. Its the sort of thing that absolutely should be disclosed and something the seller must have known about and withheld. Return away I say!
Old 01-22-2019, 08:55 PM
Ben North

WOW, that is way past the line. For me it is a monetary value. If the price was low I will just chalk it up as a learning lesson to never deal with that person again.

I made a trade a few months ago and told the other person that his cards didn't have to have equal value. My only request was the cards I received did not have major damage. One card looked like it was folded in half with a major crease going through the players face. The other one had 6 pieces of tape on it. Guess we all have different standards. Did add another person to my never deal with again list.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:04 PM
sfh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
WOW, that is way past the line. For me it is a monetary value. If the price was low I will just chalk it up as a learning lesson to never deal with that person again.

I made a trade a few months ago and told the other person that his cards didn't have to have equal value. My only request was the cards I received did not have major damage. One card looked like it was folded in half with a major crease going through the players face. The other one had 6 pieces of tape on it. Guess we all have different standards. Did add another person to my never deal with again list.
Even more frustrating in this case is that I went ahead and purchased the remaining 32 cards over the weekend. Now I have the 32 cards (which include Yaz, Aaron, Clemente, Ryan, Rose, Fisk, Cey, Baylor) without the set.

Damaged stars included Mays, Killebrew IA, F Robinson, Gibson, Powell, Palmer, McCovey, Aaron IA, Carlton, Bench, Jackson IA, Stargell, Seaver, B Robinson, Niekro, Carlton traded, Morgan traded.

Last edited by sfh24; 01-22-2019 at 09:05 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:50 AM
Adam Yastrzemski

You got the set for a nice price. It’s all about the hi numbers. If the were damaged cards are hi you definitely don’t want it. If the his are nice it’s definitely worth keeping for the price paid.
Old 01-23-2019, 05:50 AM
sfh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yastrzemski Sports View Post
You got the set for a nice price. It’s all about the hi numbers. If the were damaged cards are hi you definitely don’t want it. If the his are nice it’s definitely worth keeping for the price paid.
There was water damage in the high #s as well. I went through initially and found a little over a hundred cards with blatant water damage. As I began to sort through the set more carefully I began to realize that the damage was more extensive. I got to the eventual point where I would think I found all the damages and then discovered some more. Some cards I assumed were just faded due normal wear but eventually realized they were subjected to water as well. The set would have been very nice as all corners were sharp.

Last edited by sfh24; 01-23-2019 at 05:54 AM.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:00 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Theres nothing wrong with expecting the condition of a lot to match what the seller states, 1 or 2 cards off condition ok but not 100.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:23 AM
Mel Quatt.lebaum

You have every right to be upset with the condition of the cards received. If the description states 10% less than the advertised listing of exmt then I would expect some as low as vg or vgex but few if any damaged/fillers. A few years ago I purchased a set of 60T BB from one of the biggest eBay dealers that was listed as average ex+ condition. Upon inspection about half were as advertised but 30% were vg at best and 20% were p-f/fillers, I retured them quickly as I would suggest you should do.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:48 AM
octavio ranzola

return it
Old 01-23-2019, 11:49 AM
Adam Yastrzemski

I think I found your purchase and I had a problem with that seller also. I purchased a 1969 Basketball set described as ex/mt. The Alcindor has major creasing and the checklist was heavily checked. They sell a lot and I had always thought they were a good seller. I won’t buy anything else there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfh24 View Post
There was water damage in the high #s as well. I went through initially and found a little over a hundred cards with blatant water damage. As I began to sort through the set more carefully I began to realize that the damage was more extensive. I got to the eventual point where I would think I found all the damages and then discovered some more. Some cards I assumed were just faded due normal wear but eventually realized they were subjected to water as well. The set would have been very nice as all corners were sharp.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:56 AM

Many years ago, I had the exact same experience...bought a 1972 Set advertised just like yours and most of the high number runs had corner water damage. This was purchased via mail the old fashioned way (back in the old days from a long time dealer). I contacted him and he told me I could return the entire set for refund or he could send me another one (he had multiples in his inventory) or to send back the damaged ones and he will replace them. I took the last option as the non damaged ones were as advertised. I agree that water damage is definitely out of the realm of the condition as described. Hopefully you can get a full refund.

Ricky Y
Old 01-23-2019, 03:08 PM
J0hn Collin$

Not saying you did anything wrong, but how did you not notice this before completing the purchase? Were there not pics of the damaged cards? I don't buy sets but if I did for vintage, I think I would go for one of those deals where the key cards, stars, HOFer's and high numbers etc. were graded. That way you have no doubt. And I could deal with commons being damaged more easily a lot quicker than the stars.

Either way you should be able to get a refund, good luck.

Last edited by jchcollins; 01-23-2019 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:42 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfh24 View Post
Even more frustrating in this case is that I went ahead and purchased the remaining 32 cards over the weekend. Now I have the 32 cards (which include Yaz, Aaron, Clemente, Ryan, Rose, Fisk, Cey, Baylor) without the set.

Damaged stars included Mays, Killebrew IA, F Robinson, Gibson, Powell, Palmer, McCovey, Aaron IA, Carlton, Bench, Jackson IA, Stargell, Seaver, B Robinson, Niekro, Carlton traded, Morgan traded.
To look at the positive you either have a good start at putting a set together with your 32 cards. If you buy another set to upgrade just the few bad cards that are really in it you have some good trade bait to start out with.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:04 PM
sfh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
Not saying you did anything wrong, but how did you not notice this before completing the purchase? Were there not pics of the damaged cards? I don't buy sets but if I did for vintage, I think I would go for one of those deals where the key cards, stars, HOFer's and high numbers etc. were graded. That way you have no doubt. And I could deal with commons being damaged more easily a lot quicker than the stars.

Either way you should be able to get a refund, good luck.
There were pictures and they did not reveal the damage. I have had good luck with this vendor in the past.
Old 01-27-2019, 11:16 AM
Chuck Tapia

And let me guess, the seller had the lot listed with "NO RETURNS" and you had to deal with E-bay Philippines to get your money back in a 3 week escapade?

I think the seller is a jerk off PERIOD.