NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 08-25-2010, 04:11 PM

Default the "Who's greater" debate

Cy Young, Mathewson & Johnson have somany Wins, and their win/loss percentage is so high, they must be greater than, say, Nolan Ryan.

Hmmm. Not so fast.

Physiologically, Young, Matty & Johnson DID NOT have superior arms vs. Ryan (or Seaver, or Carlton, or Randy Johnson, etc).

So how did Cy Young amass over 500 wins? Simple - he was able to "save" his arm by not having to use his best stuff to get out a lot of hitters. If Cy Young pitched today, he ABSOLUTELY needs to be hurling his best stuff to all hitters, at all times. He would be crushed if he "laid off" like he was able to do around 1900.

The overall talent level in modern times is so very much closer than ever before.

Conclusion: Stats can start to tell a tale of greatness. But stats can only go so far. Be careful to not read too much into stats. Use Bill James cautiously - as a general guide. How many no-hitters would Nolan Ryan had if he played in the dead ball era? Wow, boggles the mind!
Old 08-25-2010, 04:24 PM
Jim D

I agree, you cannot compare stats from different eras. Baseball fundamentally is the same, but the game is so much more technical today. it is different in that aspect, and it goes for any sport. Changes in equipment, science, player preparation, etc is all different.

Back in the day, guys would drink and smoke in the dugout!

We can all sit back and wonder .. What if?? but we will never truly know.

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 08-25-2010, 07:25 PM
Jason

Default actually, the game is fundamentally very different

than it was during the constructive years...
gloves weren't used, a ball could bounce through the strike zone, and the number of balls and strikes moved around over the years. Heck, if I recall correctly what I've read, there was a time where it took nine balls to walk a batter, and a hitter could be called out if a foul ball was caught after one bounce!

I don't think you can even begin to compare the stats of players from different eras...it's nonsensical logic if the eras are far enough apart.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:55 PM
Jim D

when i figure out what Jason said, i will probably agree! lol

Im not too up on the history so i was unaware the balls, strikes and bounces rules.

I do remember the sucky kids used to get 5 strikes in gym class! Does that count?

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 08-27-2010, 06:54 AM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUBAR View Post
I do remember the sucky kids used to get 5 strikes in gym class! Does that count?

LOL! Maybe that was just the US/Canadian exchange rate back then?????

Last edited by Jim VB; 08-27-2010 at 06:54 AM.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:49 AM
Jason Albregts

I used to play "rounders" when I did Civil War reenacting. Yeah, in the 1860's you could catch a hit ball on the first bounce and it was still considered an out. You could also "soak" someone; throw the ball at your opponent and hit them for the out. Does anyone know when these two things disappeared from the rules?
Old 08-28-2010, 11:26 PM

"Soaking" was not included among the permissable methods of putting out a baserunner or batter when the National League rule book was written in 1876, so the practise was abolished in 1876 or earlier.
Foul balls caught on one bounce were ruled no longer outs in the revisions of 1883 -- fouls had to be caught on the fly. Oddly, we can't find the revision for fair balls caught on the bound, but presumably it would have been within a year or two of the foul-bounce rule.
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/baseballgames/

Successful transactions with: bocabirdman, GrayGhost, jimivintage,
Oneofthree67, orioles93, quinnsryche, thecatspajamas, ValKehl
Old 08-29-2010, 03:17 PM
Johnny S

I don't think we can just discount the common players back in the day as garbage and that they were so much worse than todays cream puffs. If anything many were probably much stronger, and definately tougher. I think if they came up today they would call many of the major leaguers a bunch of cry baby pussy cats. We think these guys today are so great but many are actually second rate GARBAGE !! I would like to see them sit on a train, stay in roach infested motels and not get the all star treatment they take for granted and unfortunately get, not to mention a pitcher going longer than 6 or seven innings. Nolan Ryan, David Wells, and other notables would've fit right in 100+ years ago but most others would've been run outta town.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:32 PM
Jim D

I think "Boomer" and the Babe would have been best friends..... drinking buddies!

Didn't he do a Babe impression that was priceless??

I do know Boomer has a lot of respect for the classic game and is a collector.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:05 PM
Johnny S

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUBAR View Post
I think "Boomer" and the Babe would have been best friends..... drinking buddies!

Didn't he do a Babe impression that was priceless??

I do know Boomer has a lot of respect for the classic game and is a collector.
Boomer was wearing a game used Babe Ruth hat for awhile and then baseball made him take it off because like everything else these days is LAME !!!
Old 09-28-2010, 05:51 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Four balls became the rule in 1889. Interesting to see all the rule changes over the years:

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/rulechng.shtml

Tabe
Old 10-01-2010, 11:11 AM
David Str@@te

Mathewson got tuberculosis from the war.

Modern players go on strike if they can't afford that third Rolls Royce.

I'm inclined to believe that if born in the modern era, the classic guys could have been great.

If Walter Johnson scared the ___ out of Ty Cobb, I don't see him bowing down to Joe Mauer.

They would have had to go to Florida Future Stars Camp starting at 5 years old, but so does everybody these days.