NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-31-2016, 10:24 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
With everything these guys have to lose you'd think they put the hard drugs far far away. Drink and drink, use a driver the team would be thrilled to provide.

I know it's not a great thought, but now I look at all the videos of Fernandez going manic in the dugout differently. Was he going back to the bathroom and having a few toots on days he wasn't starting? I have no idea. But certainly makes you wonder.

RIP. None of this makes him a terrible person. Just someone who made some terrible choices.
Who knows. As a rich young single very popular athlete in a city with lots of rich young partyers, maybe he fell in with the wrong crowd. Or maybe it was just an unfortunate one-time thing.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:31 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Who knows. As a rich young single very popular athlete in a city with lots of rich young partyers, maybe he fell in with the wrong crowd. Or maybe it was just an unfortunate one-time thing.
Perhaps,but people like to argue things are a one time thing versus perhaps someone got away with doing certain behavior without incident until now..

so many reality cop shows are sting operations the perpetrator says 'its my first time' Like 95% of the time, it appears they are arresting people who said its their first time

one of the guys on the boat didnt have cocaine in his system as well so there seemed to be a choice involved..

Theres an issue of who was driving which really does impact a potential settlement. I believe you are only liable up to 600k per person in florida for just being the owner of a boat which was being driven by someone that caused an accident. If you are active driver though, the sky is the limit

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 10-31-2016 at 10:32 AM.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:37 AM

I noticed that Topps set all his cards to "Sold Out" in Bunt. That would mean that you can't get them in packs anymore.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:41 AM
Peter Spaeth

I have no idea about Fernandez, but for some people coke can be a terrible drug, I had a very close friend in law school who really struggled with it and he was anything but a terrible person.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:48 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I have no idea about Fernandez, but for some people coke can be a terrible drug, I had a very close friend in law school who really struggled with it and he was anything but a terrible person.
That can be true and to boot he probably not responsible in some part for the deaths of two people.

Terrible people make terrible choices, unless you can point to someone we can all agree is a terrible person and see if that person did not make terrible choices.

I contend that all terrible people make terrible choices but not all people that make terrible choices are terrible people..

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 10-31-2016 at 11:50 AM.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:33 PM
Al Richter

Default Terrible

I am sending this one to Jack Handey with a note saying "top this one"

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 10-31-2016 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:38 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

I remember hearing an interview years ago, from a former MLB player.

He said that starting pitchers were more susceptible to substance or alcohol abuse. They pitch once a week, twice at best. That leaves A LOT of downtime, something that most position players, since they will play everyday, do not have.

As mentioned previously, life is all about choices though.
Old 10-31-2016, 01:03 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
That can be true and to boot he probably not responsible in some part for the deaths of two people.

Terrible people make terrible choices, unless you can point to someone we can all agree is a terrible person and see if that person did not make terrible choices.

I contend that all terrible people make terrible choices but not all people that make terrible choices are terrible people..
and not all people make terrible posts, but some do!
Old 10-31-2016, 01:06 PM
Glyn Parson

Default Everyone

and yes I mean EVERYONE has made a terrible choice at one point or another in their life. That does not mean any of us deserved to die for a moment of stupidity. I feel for all those that lost their lives these new revelations do not change my feelings that this was tragic.
Old 10-31-2016, 01:24 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRfan1 View Post

He said that starting pitchers were more susceptible to substance or alcohol abuse. They pitch once a week, twice at best. That leaves A LOT of downtime, something that most position players, since they will play everyday, do not have.

Thats a good point..i bet that probably applies to kickers and punters in football too as they have a lot of downtime and its not like there is much of a playbook to look at.
Old 10-31-2016, 01:28 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

So most of you guys are on board with contracausal free will? Perhaps it's best if I just post about baseball cards.
Old 10-31-2016, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
So most of you guys are on board with contracausal free will? Perhaps it's best if I just post about baseball cards.
Oh man, you made be have to look that word up! Now I gotta figure a way to use that word on my wife tonight.
Old 10-31-2016, 03:46 PM
Tony Quinn

Quote:

Tim Raines, Alan Wiggins, Ron LeFlore, Ken Caminiti, Eddie Mathews, Miguel Cabrera, Daryl Strawberry, Lenny Dykstra, Billy Martin, Mickey Mantle, Jimmie Foxx etc. are all known to have been substance abusers (drugs or alcohol) and none of them were pitchers.
I don't agree with that statement one bit.
Old 10-31-2016, 03:57 PM
Mike

I guess this qualifies Jose to be a a US Posage Stamp someday. Just like the drug addict Elvis. My brother was a big stamp collector until they started putting all these "stars" etc on stamps.
Old 10-31-2016, 07:29 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnsryche View Post
Tim Raines, Alan Wiggins, Ron LeFlore, Ken Caminiti, Eddie Mathews, Miguel Cabrera, Daryl Strawberry, Lenny Dykstra, Billy Martin, Mickey Mantle, Jimmie Foxx etc. are all known to have been substance abusers (drugs or alcohol) and none of them were pitchers.
I don't agree with that statement one bit.
We'll agree to disagree. i can come up with a list of pitchers as well, but I'm not sure what that solves. I'm sure there are countless players who never made the news or headlines, that had abuses which were kept quiet and privately handled.

The radio interview was with a former player, and I'll give him the benefit of insight to the matter.

Last edited by KCRfan1; 10-31-2016 at 07:30 PM.
Old 10-31-2016, 08:20 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
We'll agree to disagree. i can come up with a list of pitchers as well, but I'm not sure what that solves. I'm sure there are countless players who never made the news or headlines, that had abuses which were kept quiet and privately handled.

The radio interview was with a former player, and I'll give him the benefit of insight to the matter.
theres also a bunch more position players on teams than starting pitchers..
Old 11-01-2016, 07:33 AM

I don't think I believe that at all. It sounds like some idle hands rhetoric.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:59 PM
Glyn Parson

Default Idles hands rhetoric?

It is not just rhetoric it is actually backed up with facts it's why things like midnight basketball and thriving job markets, after school programs, and community centres that are thriving help to cut down on crime. It does not take a rocket scientist to realize it's harder to get in trouble when you are doing something productive or positive.

Last edited by glynparson; 11-01-2016 at 10:00 PM.
Old 11-02-2016, 04:15 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
It is not just rhetoric it is actually backed up with facts it's why things like midnight basketball and thriving job markets, after school programs, and community centres that are thriving help to cut down on crime. It does not take a rocket scientist to realize it's harder to get in trouble when you are doing something productive or positive.
Also nothing good ever happens during the night after 2 am typically

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 11-02-2016 at 04:15 AM.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:34 AM
K!ya S@bet

Glass houses people
Old 11-02-2016, 06:53 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Also nothing good ever happens during the night after 2 am typically
For my daughter that cut off is 12:30am (she will be 20 this month)...Nothing good happens after that time.....for her anyway....
Old 11-02-2016, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
I believe all of that when it applies to children. but we were talking about adult professional athletes who aren't pitching on a given day.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:35 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
For my daughter that cut off is 12:30am (she will be 20 this month)...Nothing good happens after that time.....for her anyway....
Said EVERY dad with a daughter! Too funny Leon!!
Old 02-11-2017, 01:23 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Default see next post

delete

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 02-11-2017 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02-11-2017, 01:32 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Whats sad as well is his estate will be sued by both the estates of the the other passengers in his boat if Jose was driving the boat, or if Jose wasn't driving, his estate will be sued by the passenger that was not driving as Jose was the owner of the boat..

You will hear about these lawsuits once the dust settles...
I guess it took 5 months for the dust to settle

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/jo...031729793.html

Here come the lawsuits that people were arguing wouldn't occur. If Jose wasnt driving the boat, since he was the owner he would be responsible for the death of the one passenger that was not driving the boat or if Jose was the driver he would be responsible for both. Would be interested to know as to what kind of insurance there was.

Also in the works is Jose's mother is trying to be in charge of the estate and the current money (with life insurance proceeds an earnings in the 4 million range) and it would not surprise me if money went 'missing' before a judgment is entered. There is also a potential newborn baby in the future. Still the total death claims right now are for about 4 million dollars. Jose's new contract would of been in the 25 million dollar a year range. A sad situation

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 02-11-2017 at 01:33 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:38 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Looks like there is some decent evidence that Jose Fernandez was operating the boat at the time of the crash and he had drugs in his system. I really dont think there should be schools named after him. He would have been charged for manslaughter had he lived.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...138834953.html

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 03-16-2017 at 09:40 AM.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:32 PM
Derek Granger

Quote:
Looks like there is some decent evidence that Jose Fernandez was operating the boat at the time of the crash and he had drugs in his system. I really dont think there should be schools named after him. He would have been charged for manslaughter had he lived.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...138834953.html
I saw this today as well. It's more than "decent" evidence at this point that he was driving the boat:

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/in...t-intoxicated/

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 03-16-2017, 05:35 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

I heard a couple of media reports about this, and there were some people saying, let him rest in peace...why do this to the family?, What's the media doing to the family? I totally disagree with those thoughts. While tragic as this incident is, the truth should be known as an example for our younger kids on what can happen when you think you have it all....This was indeed a tragic event, but it could have been easily avoided....

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 03-16-2017 at 05:39 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:58 PM
Scott Russell

plus he killed two men, what about their families?
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 03-16-2017 at 05:59 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:15 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
I completely disagree with this. 2 people died but he did not kill anybody. They got on the boat on their own free will and knew exactly what could happen.

Seriously how many people in their entire life have not got in a vehicle/boat with a friend that had a cocktail or something else. Now if that would have ended tragically would you want people saying your friend killed you?
Old 03-16-2017, 06:20 PM
Fred

Those other two men were big boys that made the decision to go out with him that morning. It sounds like all three were out drinking together and took off in the boat after 2AM. One of the guys had coke in his system (like Jose). It was just a poor choice that all three made.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:21 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I completely disagree with this. 2 people died but he did not kill anybody. They got on the boat on their own free will and knew exactly what could happen.

Seriously how many people in their entire life have not got in a vehicle/boat with a friend that had a cocktail or something else. Now if that would have ended tragically would you want people saying your friend killed you?
Right. That's why he drove 70 MPH into a rock embankment...They should have known better..Really?
Old 03-16-2017, 07:20 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Exactly
Old 03-16-2017, 07:22 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Those other two men were big boys that made the decision to go out with him that morning. It sounds like all three were out drinking together and took off in the boat after 2AM. One of the guys had coke in his system (like Jose). It was just a poor choice that all three made.
You would be great on a jury for a defense in any DUI auto accident in which the driver killed the passengers because everyone is a 'big boy'. The article says that jose would of been charged with manslaughter had he survived, so apparently you would disagree with that as well.

One of the passengers had no drugs in his system and had basicallyzero boating experience. I am pretty sure he was not aware of the risks

I guess the lawsuits are fruitless because it was the passengers fault for the accident
Old 03-16-2017, 10:06 PM
Fred

Jake,

I figure if someone is stupid enough to get into ANY type of vehicle when they know the driver is drunk then that's on them. I never said he shouldn't have been charged with a crime if he had lived. You can call it manslaughter, murder, or whatever - but think about it, those other two guys knew he was drunk. They played Russian Roulette and LOST. And no, I wouldn't let someone off the hook if they were driving drunk and caused the death of his passengers because his passengers knew he was drunk when they got in the vehicle. Geesh, chill out. Your assumptions are so off base.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:38 AM
Scott Russell

He quoted you, but his response seems more like it was aimed at bnorth. That being said, with your thoughts shortly following his I can see where it sounded like you were in agreement.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 03-17-2017, 06:10 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Jake,

I figure if someone is stupid enough to get into ANY type of vehicle when they know the driver is drunk then that's on them. I never said he shouldn't have been charged with a crime if he had lived. You can call it manslaughter, murder, or whatever - but think about it, those other two guys knew he was drunk. They played Russian Roulette and LOST. And no, I wouldn't let someone off the hook if they were driving drunk and caused the death of his passengers because his passengers knew he was drunk when they got in the vehicle. Geesh, chill out. Your assumptions are so off base.
i see you agree that the driver is responsible but 'that's on them' as also the responsibility on the passengers for being stupid and implying they are also responsible.

Depends on what you mean 'KNEW' he was drunk. If the guy tells you he had 2 beers but in a boat that means nothing compared to car. Did you kNOW? I know there can be counterarguments but the fact there can be arguments makes adding conditions silly.

Its starts to get complicated when we keep adding layers. Thats why the law is pretty simple. The driver/owner is responsible for the occupants. That way we arent worrried about who knew or should of known things. Nobody thought he would be driving 65 mph or whatever in a rock embankment like cmize said.

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 03-17-2017 at 06:22 AM.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:30 AM
Fred

If you believe everything on the internet then....

According to the investigation the three were seen in a bar prior to the time they got in the boat. The assumption is that the three were probably together for a while during the evening. Yes, alcohol tends to screw up your judgement (like letting you pile drive your boat at over 65MPH into a jetty on a clear evening) but you have to figure in today's day and age you just need to be smarter when you decide to get into a vehicle with someone that is not in total control. I guess it could have looked worse if Jose was driving his vehicle (on the way to getting to his boat) and slammed it into a tree at 100MPH (killing all three) because society is less tolerant of drinking and then driving a 4 wheeled motor vehicle.

The time line is pretty interesting. Investigators seem to have it nailed down pretty good. The way I see things is that people "own" the consequences of their poor decisions.

I want my kids growing up knowing that consequences of their poor decisions is on them and nobody else.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:32 AM

I don't think that's entirely true though. Getting on a boat with someone who was drinking isn't the same as signing your life away. I don't think it's right to blame a victim either. The two men aren't dead because they were drinking or doing drugs, they're dead because Jose Fernandez was drinking and doing drugs.

Last edited by packs; 03-17-2017 at 09:35 AM.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:38 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
If you believe everything on the internet then....

According to the investigation the three were seen in a bar prior to the time they got in the boat. The assumption is that the three were probably together for a while during the evening. Yes, alcohol tends to screw up your judgement (like letting you pile drive your boat at over 65MPH into a jetty on a clear evening) but you have to figure in today's day and age you just need to be smarter when you decide to get into a vehicle with someone that is not in total control. I guess it could have looked worse if Jose was driving his vehicle (on the way to getting to his boat) and slammed it into a tree at 100MPH (killing all three) because society is less tolerant of drinking and then driving a 4 wheeled motor vehicle.

The time line is pretty interesting. Investigators seem to have it nailed down pretty good. The way I see things is that people "own" the consequences of their poor decisions.

I want my kids growing up knowing that consequences of their poor decisions is on them and nobody else.

It becomes a broader issue, people who drink go with designated drives. So if the people are drunk and dont realize their designated driver is too drunk to drive and an accident happens, its again the passengers to blame? I can see a failure in trust but thats not the same as being responsible for the accident.

The passengers didnt decide to drive, It was Jose. If Jose decided not to drive and nobody drove, then no accident happens.

I really think you just have to blame the driver on this who decided to man the wheel. It makes it a lot easier. If we go around blaming passengers for auto accidents for the fact of just getting into the car or boat thats a pretty slippery slope.

Afterall, we are trying to prevent impaired people from driving. Accidents end right there if people dont drive impaired. We dont need to get into the nitty gritty of what the passengers knew/how impaired were they/etc etc

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 03-17-2017 at 10:39 AM.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:03 AM
Kyle May

Reading some of the above comments, it's pretty easy to see how someone got millions from McDonald's after said someone spilled their own hot coffee onto their lap. The "victim" mentality in this country is unbelievable. Much like our welfare system, our court system has become a lazy way to make a quick buck and be set for life. Disgusting.

When the reports first came out that Jose had died, there was talks of mental instability. The rumor was he went out on the boat to clear his head, or at least that's how the media made it seem. If this story had been true, and IF his friends tagged along to keep him safe/calm/sane without any knowledge of his intoxication, then Jose could have been charged with murder/manslaughter/etc.

But that's not the case. The reports state that the 3 of them were together that night - all 3 had been drinking and 2/3 had cocaine in their system. Therefore they all made the choice to become intoxicated. Then they all made the choice, coherent or not, to get on the boat. With this being the truth...

Jose Fernandez is responsible for his own death. His one friend is responsible for their own death. His other friend is responsible for their own death. Simple as that.

What's really sickening is the families of the 2 people accompanying Jose are looking to sue Jose's fiancee - whom just had a baby last month might I add. I hope the judge dismisses any lawsuits against Jose Fernandez by these families. Of course, I don't have much faith in our judicial system to do that.

Accountability. Learn it. Live it. Love it.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame

Last edited by KMayUSA6060; 03-17-2017 at 11:05 AM.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:26 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 View Post
Reading some of the above comments, it's pretty easy to see how someone got millions from McDonald's after said someone spilled their own hot coffee onto their lap. The "victim" mentality in this country is unbelievable. Much like our welfare system, our court system has become a lazy way to make a quick buck and be set for life. Disgusting.

When the reports first came out that Jose had died, there was talks of mental instability. The rumor was he went out on the boat to clear his head, or at least that's how the media made it seem. If this story had been true, and IF his friends tagged along to keep him safe/calm/sane without any knowledge of his intoxication, then Jose could have been charged with murder/manslaughter/etc.

But that's not the case. The reports state that the 3 of them were together that night - all 3 had been drinking and 2/3 had cocaine in their system. Therefore they all made the choice to become intoxicated. Then they all made the choice, coherent or not, to get on the boat. With this being the truth...

Jose Fernandez is responsible for his own death. His one friend is responsible for their own death. His other friend is responsible for their own death. Simple as that.

What's really sickening is the families of the 2 people accompanying Jose are looking to sue Jose's fiancee - whom just had a baby last month might I add. I hope the judge dismisses any lawsuits against Jose Fernandez by these families. Of course, I don't have much faith in our judicial system to do that.

Accountability. Learn it. Live it. Love it.
Well its hard to take your opinion seriously when you start it off with ' it's pretty easy to see how someone got millions from McDonald's after said someone spilled their own hot coffee onto their lap"

What case are you referring too? If there is no specific case of that do you agree that some entity convinced you of that? You may want to see the movie 'hot coffee' that i have attached a link on youtube. Mcdonalds used that misinformation to convince people like you that this occurred but in reality she received far less than a million .

Id like to know the name of this person that actually received milions of dollars from mcdonalds due to fault on their own yet public opinion thinks that happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmLo_mpeltE

can also watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAzMMKIspPQ

In addition, you mention that that fiance of jose just had a baby. What does that have to do with anything? What about the passengers families?

People going to jail like to tell the judge that they have a family to take care of. The judge usualy says 'you should of thought of that before you committed the crime/driven drunk (you can fill that part in)

Even after the lawsuit. im sure the lawyers will work it out and leave enough money for the family. Many babys grow up without a million dollar trust fund. A lot of money has probably 'disappeared' right now as well. Is that fair to the victim's families?

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 03-17-2017 at 11:39 AM.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:42 AM
Kyle May

Quote:
Well its hard to take your opinion seriously when you start it off with ' it's pretty easy to see how someone got millions from McDonald's after said someone spilled their own hot coffee onto their lap"

What case are you referring too? If there is no specific case of that do you agree that some entity convinced you of that? You may want to see the movie 'hot coffee' that i have attached a link on youtube.

Id like to know the name of this person that actually received milions of dollars from mcdonalds due to fault on their own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIeXjd_jzZk

In addition, you mention that that fiance of jose just had a baby. What does that have to do with anything? What about the passengers families?

People going to jail like to tel the judge that they have a family to take care of. The judge usualy says 'you should of thought of that before you committed the crime/driven drunk (you can fill that part in)

Even after the lawsuit. im sure the lawyers will work it out and leave enough money for the family. Many babys grow up without a million dollar trust fund. A lot of money has probably 'disappeared' right now as well. Is that fair to the victim's families?
I have emboldened parts of your post and will answer chronologically...

1) Not sure how the beginning of my post negates the seriousness of my post.

2) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebec...;s_Restaurants. "Negligence" and "lawsuit" are synonymous. Negligence is everywhere. The alternate terminology is "human error".

3) She is a new mother, and just lost her fiance. The deaths were not fault of her own. In fact, she had NOTHING to do with it. Your defense of the other 2 families is they just lost a loved one, therefore they should be entitled to some compensation. She just lost her loved one, and her new baby lost a dad. Where's their compensation?

4) So what you're suggesting is, because she was engaged to a rich athlete, her financials should automatically become a trick-or-treat bag where everyone can come grab some? "Don't worry, there will be enough candy in the end for you to enjoy some of it."

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 03-17-2017, 12:01 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

The McDonald's case is a bit of a bad story. Not to say the person was without fault and stupidity, but McDonald's had been warned by authorities numerous times before the incident that their coffee was served way too hot, especially for the drive through and people carrying the food themselves. They had been told to serve the coffee cooler and that they could be liable if a customer accidentally got burned after accidentally spilling it on themselves.

And, as someone who would go to McDonald's in college (many years ago), I specifically recall thinking that their coffee was extra hot and served hotter than anywhere else.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:29 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Well people to get injured all the time with people with no money and no insurance and you are right , there are no claims against those people and it doesnt matter if they have kids or a family . However if someone has money and/or insurance, they will likely get sued in a case such as Jose's

Which reminds me, there is probably insurance on the boat that is being pursued but the public will not know about that for this type of case. I discussed that earlier in this thread months ago.

Still having a family doesnt relieve anyone from a damages award or being a fault for an accident. The baby has nothing to do in terms of what happened in the accident and the victims damages. Collecting on the damages is a different story. The baby will be used as a sword, not a shield
Old 03-17-2017, 12:31 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
The McDonald's case is a bit of a bad story. Not to say the person was without fault and stupidity, but McDonald's had been warned by authorities numerous times before the incident that their coffee was served way too hot, especially for the drive through and people carrying the food themselves. They had been told to serve the coffee cooler and that they could be liable if a customer accidentally got burned after accidentally spilling it on themselves.

And, as someone who would go to McDonald's in college (many years ago), I specifically recall thinking that their coffee was extra hot and served hotter than anywhere else.
right mcdonalds made a decison, they got X amount of business with their coffee which far exceeded the liability. Plus even if they did 'lose' a case, they can just make the public think it was for millions and millions of dollars and get people to back their side so they win both ways
Old 03-17-2017, 12:34 PM

I find the victim blaming hard to understand. If your child died because their driver was drunk I don't know how many people would say their child deserved it.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:56 PM
Bob Davies

Trying to lighten this up a bit...

Quote:
I guess it could have looked worse if Jose was driving his vehicle (on the way to getting to his boat)...
Quote:
That way we arent worrried about who knew or should of known things.
Regardless of the topic, I think I will support the view of the person who uses proper grammar.

Hard to believe one of these guys is a lawyer, and likely works with documents all day.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:00 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post
Trying to lighten this up a bit...

Regardless of the topic, I think I will support the view of the person who uses proper grammar.

Hard to believe one of these guys is a lawyer, and likely works with documents all day.
Attack the messenger and not the message. So someone for Nazis with great net54 grammar you will support. I will go on a limb and i will support the person that is against Nazi's with terrible net54 grammar.

Count me as an anti-nazi person no matter the grammar! Just lightening things up a bit...

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 03-17-2017 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:39 PM
Fred

What a waste of time...