NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 07-23-2014, 01:29 PM
Scott

Default Baseball Mount Rushmore

Leon, I don't know where to put this, as its not "current" for the Watercooler. Move it if u would like. I was just thinking of a kinda cool topic.

Who would you guys put on the "MOUNT RUSHMORE " of Baseball players, if you could ONLY Put four on there? All time. All time greats, importance in game, etc.

NO PITCHERS this time. that will be for another time. Interesting to see what answers we get

Im gonna go w Ruth, Cobb, Gehrig and Mays

There will be controversy I'm sure, but have at it
Old 07-23-2014, 01:37 PM
Ben North

Ted Williams
Hank Aaron
Babe Ruth
Ty Cobb

Last edited by bnorth; 07-23-2014 at 01:37 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:44 PM

Babe Ruth
Lou Gehrig
Jackie Robinson
Harry Wright
Old 07-23-2014, 02:02 PM
Joe Jesselli

Derek Jeter
Derek Jeter
Derek Jeter
Derek Jeter
Old 07-23-2014, 02:06 PM
$teve O.

Ruth
Cobb
Mantle
J.Robinson
Old 07-23-2014, 02:10 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Ruth
Cobb
Wagner
Mays
Old 07-23-2014, 02:32 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Babe Ruth
Jackie Robinson
Willie Mays
Ted Williams
Old 07-23-2014, 02:41 PM
H Murphy

Ruth, Williams, Mantle, Marvin Miller
Old 07-23-2014, 02:49 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Rose
Morgan
Bench
Perez
Old 07-23-2014, 03:08 PM
Jim M.arinari

Schmidt
Bowa
Cash
Luzinski
Old 07-23-2014, 03:20 PM
$teve O.

[QUOTE=Deertick;1301130]Schmidt
Bowa
Cash
Luzinski
[/QUO

Nice list Jim.Maybe Maddox could sneak in there somewhere.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:56 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Not much common ground, but think we all agree.... We need a bigger mountain (4 heads is not enough!)

My real one would probably be...

Ruth
Cobb
Aaron
Mays

All outfielders, I know... but those 4 feel the most legendary to me

Mt. Rushmore for players who's image/achievements transcend baseball....

Gehrig
Robinson
Clemente
Gwynn

All Pitchers Mt. Rushmore...

Johnson
Mathewson
Young
Koufax

Impossible to pick that #4 spot.... could easily be talked into Ryan, Spahn, Grove, Alexander, Feller, Paige, Walsh, Gibson and others.

Mt. Rushmore of Infamy....

Jackson
Rose
McGwire
Bonds
Old 07-23-2014, 04:10 PM
Richard Simon

Mays
Ruth
Cobb
Williams
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 07-23-2014, 04:22 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Ruth
Cobb
Gehrig
Williams

Last edited by glchen; 07-23-2014 at 04:24 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:01 PM
M@rk Lu7z

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
Ruth
Cobb
Wagner
Mays
I would consider this a well chosen monument.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:48 PM
Ron V

Ruth
Cobb
Young
Robinson
Old 07-24-2014, 08:42 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

Ruth
Cobb
Williams
Musial
Old 07-24-2014, 09:50 PM
Mikeknapp

It's a diverse game played in a country that values diversity. The mountain could reflect that.

Babe Ruth
Jackie Robinson
Roberto Clemente
Ichiro Suzuki
Old 07-24-2014, 09:55 PM
Brendan Mullen

Cobb Ruth Robinson Clemente
Old 07-25-2014, 07:18 AM
Howard Chasser

Joe Jackson
Ruth
Robinson
Clemente
Old 08-02-2014, 06:49 PM

Jackie Robinson

Babe Ruth

Hank Aaron

Cy Young
Old 08-02-2014, 07:06 PM

Default Rushmore

Him. A face of courage if I ever saw one (note the right arm and his jersey). There's more at http://www.sportingoregon.com.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1920 era Rushmore player, one arm, front copy - Copy.jpg (71.4 KB, 145 views)
Old 08-03-2014, 07:07 AM
Scott Maxell

Ruth
Mays
Cobb
Aaron
Old 08-03-2014, 08:40 AM
Phil P

Default Mt Rushmore Baseball

The (4) that should be there are:
Babe Ruth
Lou Gehrig
Jackie Robinson
Stan Musial
Old 08-03-2014, 10:39 AM
Mike Kendall

Ruth
Cobb
Aaron
Williams
Old 08-03-2014, 10:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
Mays
Ruth
Cobb
Williams
+1
Old 08-03-2014, 11:42 AM
qu@n nguy3n

i'm perfectly fine with the 1st hof class representing mt rushmore+1...ruth, cobb, wajo, matty, wagner. i'm biased toward the deadball era, but names like mays or aaron doesn't resonate the same as cobb or wagner when you think of the baseball game and its history.
Old 08-03-2014, 01:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
i'm perfectly fine with the 1st hof class representing mt rushmore+1...ruth, cobb, wajo, matty, wagner. i'm biased toward the deadball era, but names like mays or aaron doesn't resonate the same as cobb or wagner when you think of the baseball game and its history.
You rarely see Hornsby mentioned, yet he arguably had the greatest 5 year string of seasons of any player.

From 1921 through 1925, his season cumulative average almost .403 (including the modern record .424 season, and batting over .400 three times during that 5 year span), hitting almost 150 homers (average = 30 per year), 600 RBIs (average = 125 per years), and slugging about .700!
Old 08-03-2014, 01:54 PM
Banned

Double posted, sorry. PC glitch.

Last edited by William Farrell; 08-03-2014 at 01:55 PM.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:31 AM

Default BB Mt. Rushmore

I think that all of you that chose Babe Ruth, Cobb, Williams and Mays got it right, FWIW, but....

Being a pitcher oriented collector I have to agree with perezfan Mark on selecting an all-pitcher Mt. Rushmore:

All Pitchers Mt. Rushmore...

Johnson
Mathewson
Young
Koufax

Impossible to pick that #4 spot.... could easily be talked into Ryan, Spahn, Grove, Alexander, Feller, Paige, Walsh, Gibson and others.

BTW, any pitcher Mt. Rushmore that didn't include Walter Johnson would be a joke, IMHO. I could easily substitute Grove or Alexander in position # 4. I might also place Greg Maddox in the list of alternate # 4's. Not early vintage, but his pitching career was certainly one for the ages...

Last edited by Scott Garner; 08-05-2014 at 04:32 AM.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:59 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
names like mays or aaron doesn't resonate the same as cobb or wagner when you think of the baseball game and its history.
To me, it's the exact opposite.

Mays
B. Bonds
Williams
Ruth, grudgingly
Old 08-05-2014, 06:34 PM
Mikeknapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
To me, it's the exact opposite.

Mays
B. Bonds
Williams
Ruth, grudgingly
+1 Unless you prefer slow guys who wear funny little mitts, play only day games, don't travel coast to coast and play under Jim Crow rules. Can you imagine what Mays and Aaron would have done to that level of competition? Give me Rickey Henderson over Ty Cobb and his ilk any day of the week. Baseball collecting is the only universe where people seem to believe that human performance was better 100 years ago.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
+1 Unless you prefer slow guys who wear funny little mitts, play only day games, don't travel coast to coast and play under Jim Crow rules. Can you imagine what Mays and Aaron would have done to that level of competition? Give me Rickey Henderson over Ty Cobb and his ilk any day of the week. Baseball collecting is the only universe where people seem to believe that human performance was better 100 years ago.
Athleticism, training techniques, pharmaceutical enhancement, sports medicine, and the modern style of athletic intensity far exceed that of athletes of Ruth's era and before.

There's pictures of Ruth being "treated" for sore joints and soft tissue with a Raytheon diathermy machine, which in essence, is a light bulb behind a drumskin type membrane in in what looks like a reflector dish for a portable light!

Nutritional support was basically non-existant and without THC, coke, and other recreational drugs that became commonplace in the 40s and up, many players from that era nearly drank themselves to death (some did).

Relief pitchers were not as specialized and starters usually went the distance, in many cases after giving up 10 runs, their bench and manager looking the other way, "you're doing great", instead of yanking them out by the throat, bolstering late inning batting averages with spent arms.

Of course, pitchers had the latitude to throw at the batter's heads without fear of umpire repercussion so that was always an unnerving situation at the plate, but this was because players were expendible, most earning a few thousand a year, if that, and no long term contracts.

Ruth's exercise regime consisted of a belt vibrator machine, which does absolutely nothing except exacerbate spine problems if you have one, calisthenics (arms out to the side, arms straight out to the front, repeat, which does nothing), chopping wood, playing golf, and little else.

Ballistic training, that is, training that specifically targets speed, power, and performance using sport related motions, was unknown, in fact the only two ballplayers I can think of that used resistance training from that era was Jimmie Foxx and Hack Wilson, whose "resistance training" was not sport specific, as well as indirectly performed. Both came from backgrounds of heavy labor, a lot of lifting of heavy objects, Wilson toiling in a boiler factory and I believe Foxx, something very similar.

Add anabolics, specific computer generated eye/hand coordination exercise, sports medicine advancements, and examples from above, and it's no doubt why athletes in any sport would be hard pressed to hang with today's athletic "machines".

Of course, every athlete must be compared to others of his era because the technological advances in training and performance are constantly upgraded.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Farrell View Post
Athleticism, training techniques, pharmaceutical enhancement, sports medicine, and the modern style of athletic intensity far exceed that of athletes of Ruth's era and before.

There's pictures of Ruth being "treated" for sore joints and soft tissue with a Raytheon diathermy machine, which in essence, is a light bulb behind a drumskin type membrane in in what looks like a reflector dish for a portable light!

Nutritional support was basically non-existant and without THC, coke, and other recreational drugs that became commonplace in the 40s and up, many players from that era nearly drank themselves to death (some did).

Relief pitchers were not as specialized and starters usually went the distance, in many cases after giving up 10 runs, their bench and manager looking the other way, "you're doing great", instead of yanking them out by the throat, bolstering late inning batting averages with spent arms.

Of course, pitchers had the latitude to throw at the batter's heads without fear of umpire repercussion so that was always an unnerving situation at the plate, but this was because players were expendible, most earning a few thousand a year, if that, and no long term contracts.

Ruth's exercise regime consisted of a belt vibrator machine, which does absolutely nothing except exacerbate spine problems if you have one, calisthenics (arms out to the side, arms straight out to the front, repeat, which does nothing), chopping wood, playing golf, and little else.

Ballistic training, that is, training that specifically targets speed, power, and performance using sport related motions, was unknown, in fact the only two ballplayers I can think of that used resistance training from that era was Jimmie Foxx and Hack Wilson, whose "resistance training" was not sport specific, as well as indirectly performed. Both came from backgrounds of heavy labor, a lot of lifting of heavy objects, Wilson toiling in a boiler factory and I believe Foxx, something very similar.

Add anabolics, specific computer generated eye/hand coordination exercise, sports medicine advancements, and examples from above, and it's no doubt why athletes in any sport would be hard pressed to hang with today's athletic "machines".

Of course, every athlete must be compared to others of his era because the technological advances in training and performance are constantly upgraded.
William,
Don't forget the ubiquitous use of the medicine ball for Ruth and many others as part of their athletic training.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
William,
Don't forget the ubiquitous use of the medicine ball for Ruth and many others as part of their athletic training.
I forgot the medicine ball! Thank you. An honorable mention of blowing off the suds atop his beer as aerobic exercise.

There was the steam cabinet too, for weight loss, which would amount to zero once the "victim" of intentional heat exhaustion and electrolyte imbalance would drink water.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:56 PM
qu@n nguy3n

you can't compare players across era. you can only compare them to their peers at the time. that's why there are era and park adjusted stats etc. i'd take a teamful of ruths and walter johnsons over aarons and mays.

i love barry bonds and his freak stats...but until mlb accepts the ped era for what it is he won't even be in the hof, much less any mt rushmore representing the game.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:45 AM
Louie Michaud

I think if you took an "average" player from the modern era, he would pretty convincingly outperform his "average" counterpart from the first half of the 20th century. But then when you're talking about the extraordinary, Cobb, DiMaggio, Mays, Speaker, Keeler, etc...it gets much more tricky to compare. You never really know when it comes to those guys. They may have had some "it" factor that transcended the era they played in. That being said...

Ruth
Mays
Bonds
Henderson

And for pitchers...
W. Johnson
B. Gibson
Paige
Maddux

And my "5th man" spot would go to Cobb for hitters and Koufax for pitchers
Old 08-06-2014, 02:32 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
Wow! You, me and William are gonna all be banned!!

To be honest (don't stone me), I really don't understand the connection people have with Cobb, Wagner, Ruth, etc. I know no one here ever saw Cobb or Wagner play; I doubt anyone ever saw Ruth. I, on the other hand, saw Mays, McCovey, Marichal, etc. and that is why I love baseball, love the Giants, love collecting. That said, I do "get" the romantic allure of days gone by.....way, way by

I'd love to see Ruth try to get his 48(?) oz. bat around on an Aroldis Chapman heater or a pitch from the new Yankee I saw the other night....Betances? 6'9" and throws 100+ mph.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
I'd love to see Ruth try to get his 48(?) oz. bat around on an Aroldis Chapman heater or a pitch from the new Yankee I saw the other night....Betances? 6'9" and throws 100+ mph.
Don't forget the Babe's favorite dugout snack, a jar full of pickled eels washed down with a fifth of Old Overholt Rye.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:50 AM
John Harrell

My four are:

Ruth
Cobb
Williams
Hornsby