NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-26-2006, 12:54 PM
Administrator

Default Set builders- Does anyone else ever get frustrated and sell?

Posted By: Bob

I was just wondering if other collectors are more patient than I am. I am always in the process of building sets- some I complete like the T205, 206 (less Big 4),207, E90-1 (less jax), E93, E94, E98, etc. and some I know will never be completed, like the E97, T210, E135, D311, etc. I have a tendency to get frustrated and then sell off the cards (usually to my deep regret later) and move on. Does anyone else do this or are most of you inclined to stay the course and the number of years? Just curious. I know the number of set collectors seems to have declined over the years and more collectors are type card collecting or HOFer collecting or team collecting...

Old 08-26-2006, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: robert a

Hi Bob,

It seems like I'm always on the verge of breaking up an uncompleted set, but I actually end up doing the opposite.

I trade away all of my harder types for cards that will fit into a set. I too usually end up regretting it, but I enjoy the hunt of completing a set.

Although, I have done it before. It's funny you mention E97. I tried that one.

Robert

Old 08-26-2006, 01:09 PM
Administrator

Robert- Ah yes, the thrill of the hunt is always great but sets like the D311 Pacific Coast Biscuits are just not going to be completed without someone passing away. Mark Macrae has confirmed my thinking on this one.
I remember selling the Nicholls scarce team variation E97 on ebay 2-3 years ago and not batting an eye. I have not even seen the common one on ebay since then. Mr. Rossman doesn't show his head either...
tbob

Old 08-26-2006, 01:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John

Bob,

You’re not alone I’m guilty of this too. In the process as a kid collecting I had large find of both T206’s and T205’s. Over the years I came to a cross roads in which I had to choose a set to “stay the course” as you say. To do so I sold of quite a few nice T205’s & T207’s and also some 50’s in order to raise funds to continue on the T206. I do and don’t regret it, I wish I had every card I ever had back, but alas deals were made.

But you my friend are way ahead of me, T205, T206, T207, E93, E94, E98 and E90-1. Wow I think you’re more committed than you give yourself credit for being. Amazing!

So I raise a similar question, I have done pretty well on the T206’s and could easily move onto something new, however I seem to continually collect T206’s and upgrade my set. Has anyone else got stuck on a set and just couldn’t seem to move on to the next project?

Old 08-26-2006, 01:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter ullman

aah bob...the nicholls rare team variation e97...I saw one once at a natonal in 95' which I've always wanted to go w/my b/w e97...that's the only one I've ever seen. I passed cuz the price was too high!

pete in mn

Old 08-26-2006, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

Funny, but I've just been wrestling with this myself.

About three years ago I got it into my head to build a complete set of cards from each year the Yankees won the World Series. Inbetween building a couple of modern sets, I built 1938 Goudey, 1943 MP & Co, 1953 Topps, and 1961 Topps, plus got pretty far with 1939 R303s, 1934-36 Diamond Stars, and 1961-62 Fleer.

But I found by limiting what sets I could collect, I was missing out on some cool stuff that I would have liked to buy, particularly in the prewar arena (the Yankees' first WS was in 1923). So I decided to work on a type card set of HOFers.

Well, wouldn't you know, I'm having much more fun with the HOFer collection than anything else, and I've all but stopped working on the Yankee years. Plus, I've started an off-grade T205 set that's been fascinating.

Earlier this year I liquidated all my Diamond Stars except a few HOFers. Last week I sold off most of my Fleers. Now I'm thinking of unloading ALL the rest of my cards, and focusing entirely on the HOFers and other prewar stuff.

It's just way more fun for me to chase down a nice prewar HOFer than it is to try and find hundreds of commons to fill spaces in more modern sets.

-Al

Old 08-26-2006, 03:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: robert a

Wonka,

I think T206 becomes a lifetime project for a lot of collectors.

There will ALWAYS be something one can do to add to his t206 collection.

I continue to upgrade condition and look for different front/back combinations, errors, scrap, etc.

Rob

Old 08-26-2006, 03:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

Wonka,
I have not been able to get past E93s. I have other collecting interests, but am always looking to upgrade cards in that set. I have probably owned 2-4 copies of every card in that set over the years in my endless pursuit of upgrades.
JimB

Old 08-26-2006, 03:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

I identify the "sets" which I collect differently than you do, Bob; but I never "get frustrated and sell", I simply de-emphasize one set and focus my efforts on another - all the while keeping my eye out for 1st set opportunities.

What this works out to be is several sets in various states of completion at all times.

I am not a lover of the hunt. For me, it is the capture where the only rewards are.

Old 08-26-2006, 03:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

Built T206 (minus big 4)...broke it up...started over, now about 41% there.

Built 59 Topps...sold big boys...no particular regret there.

Built C46...now that was a challenge...sold it for $1,500 about ten years ago...regrets there.

Started now on 1911 and 1912 Zeenuts...if I don't find a Z11 Bohen soon maybe I'll get bored

My Sporting Life W601 PC set needs one to complete...while I am frustrated that I have to wait for Dan to die to get the final one I WILL NOT SELL.

Same with my Ullmans...Need 3 to complete...been at it for easily ten years...No intention of selling.

Frustrated, no. I think Gil has it right. Just set it aside if your interests have changed. Then likely, as with my T206 experience, you may have a renewed interest and no regrets.

Old 08-26-2006, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

when I collected in the 80s, I never got frustrated. I love the hunt too much. Besides, quitting is too easy and bad habit easily picked up.

I may never complete my player set, but I will never quit either. There is so much within that set to do, like getting type cards, working on the Delong set and few other sets that don't have any player overlap.

Jay

I love pinatas. You get to beat the crap of something and get rewarded with candy.

Old 08-26-2006, 04:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Yes Jay, the sets within the set approach is very rewarding. Thats what Im doing too.

Old 08-26-2006, 05:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Goldner

Bob,

Though i wouldn't call myself a set collector, i wouldn't say that i'm a type collector either.

Probably somewhere in between.

Yes, i have some sets that are close to completion, but i am in no rush to finish them.

That is just too much pressure, for something that is supposed to be fun.

They will get done when the time is right, and if not, so be it.

However, i do agree with Jay, in that giving up, is the easy way out, and not a good habit to establish.

On the other hand, selling obviously isn't a bad thing, provided that frustration isn't the reason why.

Old 08-26-2006, 05:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I have been very focused on never completing a set. It's working well. Very fun too....and isn't that what this is all about, anyway? I see my continuing the type card hunt.... Might only add several a year but it's exciting to add one every now and then...BTW, I will take all of the help I can get and if anyone ever sees a pre-war card, that is not on my personal collection site, I would appreciate hearing about it....and will try to do the same in return...regards

Old 08-26-2006, 05:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Shannon

Hey tbob,Just curious how close are you with your e97 set?

Old 08-26-2006, 06:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

Heck no! I'll race ya for it tbob! lololol

Joann

Old 08-26-2006, 07:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe

I only need 3 cards to complete my E97 set. McIntyre, Mullin and Rossman.

By the way, my sets are Detroit only.

Joe

Old 08-26-2006, 07:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Andy Cook

I'm a compulsive set collector. I've completed about a dozen prewar sets. I've also gotten very close, but then broke up near sets of E90-3, E92, E94, E95, E97, E104-1, E104-2, T205, T207, T215 (I had 60 different 5 years ago -- I kick myself everyday for giving those up), E121-80, E121-120. Frustration at not being able to find the last couple cards and/or getting down to just a Cobb or Wagner or something terribly expensive has been my main reason for breaking up a near set. I've contemplated breaking up my T213-2 near set (need 12 variations)...but never seriously, it's too important to me. I have broken up some of my completed sets in order to fill in holes in my currently working on sets...E93 and E96 in the last year for example.

Andy

Old 08-26-2006, 10:24 PM
Administrator

Bob- Is there anything you might want, within reason, for Mr. Rossman?

Old 08-26-2006, 11:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric B

I usually work on 6-8 sets at a time. Invariably I end up completing 1-2 of my favorites and sell off what I worked on with the others. Then I start over.

Old 08-27-2006, 12:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ricky Y

I have a tendency to have periods of intense focus and interest on a particular goal then it begins to wane and I get interested in something else..then eventually coming back to the original one.

I haven't acquired any cards to add to my 33 goudey set in months... I then focused for a time on getting HOF exhibits.. now I'm honing in on type cards.

Although I probably won't find anything of interst at the SF Labor Day Show weekend...I will go anyways...and I'm sure that will get me stoked on the Goudey's again.

Old 08-27-2006, 01:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: quan

when i first started collecting pre-war the idea of putting together little caramel sets sounded fun (colorful cards, wacky poses, and 30 subjects unlike the massive t sets). didn't bother with the "big" e90-1s, and a few sets proved easy enough (e93, e95, e96)...and getting the first 20-25 cards of e94s, e97s, e98s, and e102s were also fun. but then came the drag of waiting for those tough commons or the expensive hof'ers and rarities. either you get outbid by tbob, tim sedlock, or gary nuch, or you have to pay an insane amount just to add another piece to the puzzle, not knowing when the next one will come or will you be ready...

so i gave up, now instead of chasing those pesky e97s and putting a huge amount of money into commons i don't know and don't really care about, i have a nice e97 young to represent the set. or i can buy a few cobbs in different sets, rather than just one e95 cobb along with the other 14 e95 commons. if my fortune changes, of course i would love to own all those sets again, right now it's just not possible and i'm happy with the path i chose.

Old 08-27-2006, 02:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob shannon

Tbob- If I ever upgrade you will be the first in line for the Rossman.

Bob

Old 08-27-2006, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

A couple of times I have bought partial sets from guys who gave up and then I finished them. A couple of times I thought I was stuck forever in limbo and eventually finished a set. I'm just not in a hurry, and tend to work on more than one set at a time. I will say that the overall market has tightened up considerably over the last ten years and many issues that were merely tough to find have become next to impossible.