NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-07-2007, 07:45 AM
Administrator

Default Whats a eBay gamble on a card worth?

Posted By: Dave F

The scenario-

Seller has about 100 feedbacks...98% positive.
He has what I would consider to be "fairly" rare item for sale...not in the best category, that IF it is real would be worth alot more than what I'd potentially win the item for. However, I don't know much about the issue...comparing it to the old cardboard website it looks real. He does accept paypal. Is it worth a $300 gamble? With paypal, I SHOULD be able to get my money back if its fake right?

Old 04-07-2007, 07:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave S

I wouldn't rely on Ebay/PayPal giving you much help should the card be fake...you did not explain as to how the seller is describing the card: authentic? as-is?
Of his 100 feedbacks, note how many were as seller and not buyer..in either aspect, with 2 bad deals in 100 he certainly isn't anyone I'd place alot of trust in. Did you e-mail him and ask conditions of return if unhappy with it, think that would be best place to start and his reply should answer your question. If you get no reply, or no guarantee, I'd pass. Otherwise might as well put your money on the #6 horse in the 1st race...just a gamble!

Old 04-07-2007, 07:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

Hard to say, depending on what it is, and the condition, and how bad you want or need it. It's funny you mention this topic, because this same situation came up with me this week. I've been this hobby long enough, and sometimes if the odds are 75% that the item is legit, you just have to take a chance. My success has been good. But without knowing what it is, and your passion for it, and what your collecting goals are, I guess you have to make the call. And also, one more thing, if it turns out to be a dud, how much will losing $300.00 hurt you? but if all seems OK, I say , go for it.

Edited to reply to previous message. You say that 2% of the sellers feedback makes him a risk? I am in that world because I got sick and tired of sellers not sending their items, or cashing my checks, and then telling E Bay that I didn;t send the thing. So I finally fugured, hell, I am going to tell the truth and give the "Bad" guys a negative comment. Of course then come the negative feedback in return. So I get stuck with a few negative comments. Smart E Bayers know who the real idiots are. One seller claims he never got my check. he gave me a negative comment. Relisted the item, and sold it. Mean while he mysteriously finds my check, has his local post master return it to me. Meanwhile, I still have the negative comment. But I really don't mind.

Old 04-07-2007, 08:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

Has the seller stated that it is authentic? If so you are probably ok.

If the seller has waffled and has disclaimed any warranty of authenticity you may have a problem if found not to be.

If you want more advice you may email me with details and I will not snipe you.

Old 04-07-2007, 08:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave S

Hey Dave...once had a college professor that ended every lecture: "If in doubt...DON'T"!!

Think Mike makes a good point...how bad will $300 hurt the wallet should it be a dud?

Old 04-07-2007, 08:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

Dave,

For what it's worth, I'm usually much more willing to take a flier on something if I can pay through PayPal. This is especially true if the seller has represented the item as genuine, or at least not mentioned that there was any question. In that instance you have a solid case to dispute the charges based on the item not being as represented.

My PayPal is hooked to my checking account, but I have my American Express card as the back-up funding source. On items I'm not sure about I use the Amex option. That gives me the ability to contest the charge directly through Amex in addition to starting a PayPal dispute if needed.

I picked up an N29 Ewing that I was fairly sure about, but not 100% certain and it turned out to be both real and my best bargain ever. If there had not been the cc option through PayPal, I probably would have passed on a great card at a great price.

J

Old 04-07-2007, 08:18 AM
Administrator

The seller has sold other baseball related items in the past...although mostly 50s-60's type stuff. And it's listed as "original"...return policy just says the usual "check item description" but there is no return policy in the description....I believe if real and authenticated it would easily turn a $2,000 profit..

Old 04-07-2007, 08:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

Based on that profit projection I would definitly take a $300 chance. BTJMIR

Old 04-07-2007, 08:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Sean BH

$2,000 Profit? PayPal with Credit Card.

Plus imagine how happy your wife will be with a profit like that, it will totally validate any card purchases in the future...maybe a nice dinner, Stags Leap Pinot...you're in!

Giddy-up!

Edited to add wife statement

Old 04-07-2007, 08:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Stone

Dave S. --your note reminded me that I once had a tax law professor who always said " When in doubt...Deduct". ( Your professor is probably still teaching and mine is doing 10 to 20)!

Old 04-07-2007, 09:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JK

Sometimes you just need to take a chance. I took a chance on this card - it was ungraded, the seller didnt sell bb cards, and the picture of the card in the auction listing was very poor - dark, not in good focus, cut off part of the border so that the card looked trimmed, etc (the scan below was sent by the seller separately). Worked out pretty well:

Old 04-07-2007, 09:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve f

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Old 04-07-2007, 01:50 PM
Administrator

The card is gone. I basically ran across it this morning. Didn't want to put it on my watchlist (I didn't want to look like it was in big demand), but in hindsight maybe there was already fifty people watching it. It was supposed to end tonight and after checking again...its gone. It had one bid this morning, was at $9.99....from someone that bids on what i'd call "old lady hobbies"....crocheting, needlework type stuff is what the bidder had been winning...nothing to do with cards. I was guessing this morning or hoping that the "$300" would get it....but maybe some of you on here know what I'm talking about now??? Man...this sucks!

Old 04-07-2007, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Dave,
What kind of card was it?

Sean BH

Old 04-07-2007, 01:54 PM
Administrator

If I'm not wrong it was a Darby Chocolate...a Bill Donovan.

Old 04-07-2007, 01:55 PM
Administrator

I've sent the seller a message asking what happened to the auction without sounding too over zealous at this point...so who knows...

But maybe it will end up popping up here on the new cards thread. I have a feeling somebody here this morning may have been "diligent" enough to find it and make a big offer or something...damn damn damn

Old 04-07-2007, 02:01 PM
Administrator

My lord, that would be a great find. I'm sure if it was sitting at $9.99 this morning and somebody offered $500 they would sell in a heartbeat.

That's too bad, maybe they will write back.

Sean BH

PS - I will leave work now and have a beer for ya.

Old 04-07-2007, 02:04 PM
Administrator

Yeah I thought about actually making an offer this morning myself. But, had a "best offer" in on another item on ebay...so I wasn't sure I'd have that much moo-la to drop on it to begin with....(the best offer got turned down to make things worse!)....damn

Old 04-07-2007, 02:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kyle

I tried to find it, but had no luck. Care to share a link? I'm curious to see the pictures.

Happy Easter,
Kyle

Old 04-07-2007, 02:31 PM
Administrator

I was going to do that Kyle...but for selfish reasons I better wait until hearing back from the seller that she doesn't have more of them. If she does, i'm thinking she'll list them in the same stupid spot that old ladies will find them.

Old 04-07-2007, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kyle

Good call, might as well wait and see what she says. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Take care,
Kyle