NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 08-04-2012, 03:17 PM
Mike Navarro

Default My 2012 Texas Rangers Big Glove project

Thought I would share mine and my daughter's (Maven) 2012 Texas Rangers autograph projects. She and I share a season ticket package with another family, and we love to spend time up at Rangers ballpark. She's a great 8 year old, and is a lot of fun to take to games.

Last year on this board, I saw a member that had a big baseball glove, and thought it would make a neat autograph project to get my favorite team on, so I bought one to get signed this year. My daughter has a favorite Rangers hat, and she wanted to do her own autograph project, so she collects them on her hat, while I get them on my glove. This hobby is infinitely more
fun, when you can share it with your kid, when you both genuinely enjoy it.

The Rangers seem to enjoy their fans, and the organization as a whole is very fan and family friendly. The players have been really nice to my daughter, and some of them like goofing around with the big glove. Very cool year so far. Hopefully they go one strike farther this year and actually WIN the World Series instead of "just" getting there.

Here's my daughter and Manager Ron Washington

Me posing in the Rangers dugout using my big glove to cover my big gut,

Me and Yu LOL, he's the guy to the right of my head warming up

The glove and Maven's hat hanging out by the game towels

A random shot from inside the park

During one game, my boyhood idol, former Rangers catcher Jim Sundberg was visiting a couple that sits a couple rows behind us, and we waited for him to finish his visit and as he was leaving, asked to get a photo with him, and he signed my old school Rangers hat as well. We chatted a minute and he was a neat guy.

Maven's hat as it now stands, it's running out of room to sign and Josh signed it inside of Yu's big curve in his first name (at least he didn't write over Yu)

Autographs that I have on my big glove

Gary Pettis, 1st base coach
David Murphy
Colby Lewis
Ron Washington, Manager
Brandon Snyder
Koji Uehara
Mark Lowe
Yu Darvish
Joe Nathan (was the 1st to sign and I got it in silver. Decided to go with black sharpie and have since erased the silver and he resigned in black)
Alberto Gonzalez
Mike Adams
Yoshi Tateyama
Scott Coolbaugh, Hitting Coach
Robbie Ross
Scott Feldman
Adrian Beltre
Leonys Martin
Tanner Scheppers
Craig Gentry
Martin Perez
Justin Grimm
Matt Harrison
Neftali Feliz
Josh Hamilton
Roy Oswalt
Michael Kirkman
Micheal Young
Mitch Moreland
Jackie Moore, Bench Coach
Mike Maddux
Yorvit Torrealba
Derek Holland
Alexi Ogando
Andy Hawkins, Bullpen Coach

34 down and 8 players and 1 coach to go, I still need:

Elvis Andrus (real friendly, willl throw you baseballs, jokes, etc, doesn't sign too much)
Ian Kinsler (relatively tough to get)
Nelson Cruz (signs a lot, just haven't been in the right place at the right time yet)
Mike Napoli (signs a lot, just haven't been in the right place at the right time yet)
Geovanny Soto (early indications are that he signs easily, but only been on the team a few days now)
Ryan Dempster (early indications are that he signs easily, but only been on the team a few days now)
Mike Olt (signs a lot, but just came up from minors)
Louis Martinez (in minors now, might have to make a 2 and a half hour drive to get him, but I'm a complete freak, so if I have to, I will)
3rd base coach, Dave Anderson (I need to famillarize myself with what he looks like, haven't tried to get him yet)

Last edited by thenavarro; 08-04-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:18 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Mike,

What an great endeavor with your daughter! What do the players say about the glove? Are you planning to get #34??

VERY COOL!
Old 08-04-2012, 10:48 PM
Mike Navarro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7nohitter View Post
Mike,

What an great endeavor with your daughter! What do the players say about the glove? Are you planning to get #34??

VERY COOL!
Thanks. A lot of them will put the glove on and hold it up above their head for some reason. Some of them will say it's nice to see something "different", a couple have asked where to get one, some say nothing, some will ask if I can catch with it, some will say that would make a great knuckleball glove, wow that's big, they'll name another player on the team and say "he needs that", and other assorted stuff.

I do hope to get Nolan as well. I believe he's been a big part of their success in helping attract talent and in the attitude they display on the field and throughout the organization. I would have gotten him last Saturday, as he rode by me in a golf cart on the way to a presentation he was giving. I knew he'd be back the same way when the presentation was over, but rather then wait on him there, I went to get Josh Hamilton on my daughter's hat. Sure enough, when I got back to the previous spot, I heard he signed on the way back for the two people that stayed there.

If I have to, in order to finish my project, I'll go up very early one day late in the season and catch him at the front door to the offices. He doesn't use the tunnel like the players do, and he's fairly friendly they say to the few that wait at the office complex (but he doesn't like to see the same people there day after day). That will be a good way for me and my daughter to get a photo with him and get our items done.

Mike
Old 08-12-2012, 09:53 AM
Mike Navarro

Had a good time last night at the game. It was the celebration to honor some of the better Rangers over the last 40 years and it was well done. Maven was auditioning for Wizard of Oz, so it was just me going today Only one autograph, but it was a good one. NOLAN RYAN I got to see some of my old favorites such as Charlie Hough, Rafael Palmeiro, Ruben Sierra, Pudge Rodriguez, Buddy Bell, Jim Sundberg, etc, etc, etc.

As usual, the Rangers administration is very fan friendly, and they had free signings with the alumni before the game. I decided to pass on the others and made sure I was in Nolan's line in time. Afterall, it won't be a complete team glove, without the team President (helps that he is a HOF'er as well)

Here's a video of Nolan signing my glove and his classic Texas drawl. After he signs it and hands it back, you can hear him say something along the lines of you gotta be mighty strong to use a glove that big or something like that. I'm the voice you hear say "knuckleball glove" and indicating that we were about to meet the great Nolan Ryan, LOL.

http://s867.photobucket.com/albums/a...nolanvideo.mp4

Here's the sig, it's a little shaky, but it's Nolan:

Of course, I had to celebrate with a great dinner, that's fries smothered with chili, barbecue briscuit, grilled onions, cheese, and jalapeno's, and a hot dog for an appetizer:

The Rangers played the game in their old school 1976 Powder Blue throwback jerseys (which I loved and bought one for myself, and a tshirt for Maven), and pulled out the win in the ninth with a walk off single from the newest Ranger Mike Olt. Great night.

Last edited by thenavarro; 08-12-2012 at 09:55 AM.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:06 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

OMG Mike, if you eat that stuff everytime you get your glove autographed, it will be around a lot longer then you will
All kidding aside, that is a great project and I'm glad you were able to get Ryan on it. Just out of curiosity, how do the fans treat Palmeiro? Any roid backlash?
Old 08-12-2012, 10:32 AM
Mike Navarro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
OMG Mike, if you eat that stuff everytime you get your glove autographed, it will be around a lot longer then you will
All kidding aside, that is a great project and I'm glad you were able to get Ryan on it. Just out of curiosity, how do the fans treat Palmeiro? Any roid backlash?
LOL, I still haven't had the 2 ft long hot dog yet, "The Boomstick!", but want to put one away before the year is over. Maybe that will be a good celebratory dog if the Rangers make the Series again.

Palmeiro got a great reception. Every ex-Ranger though would get a good reception here , with the possible exceptions of AROID, CJ Wilson, and not sure how Canseco would go over. Juan, Pudge, and Raffy are Rangers baseball icons irregardless of any steroid tainting, and they were all good to the fans and community when they were here.

Mike

Last edited by thenavarro; 08-12-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:32 PM
Adam Phillips

Mike, what a great thing to see. My son will be 4 in October and I hope that he will come to love the game as much as I do.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:26 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Again, great project Mike....glad to see you got the Ryan!
Very cool too that you have the video to go along with it....no missing his Texas drawl there!
I have over 100 Ryan auto's but have never been lucky enough to meet him...

Last edited by 7nohitter; 08-12-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:34 PM
Mike Navarro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrusRCobb View Post
Mike, what a great thing to see. My son will be 4 in October and I hope that he will come to love the game as much as I do.
My son is 14 and does not like baseball at all other then to hang out with me some. He's a talented musician and actor though and I've learned to embrace his activities to spend time with him. Growing up playing sports, I never thought I would see the day where I did theatre and acting. However, because of my son, I have a theatrical resume of performing in 5 shows over the last few years with him!! 2 of the shows even caused me to miss a World Series game or two the last two years that I had tickets to, I waited a lifetime for my favorite team to make it, but hey, that's what a DVR is for and it meant a TON to my son that I kept my commitment to be in the shows even though I only have MINOR roles.

My daughter is a polar opposite to my son in regards to sports. She LOVES the games and her and I have a blast irregardless if the Rangers win or lose. She is 8, and is an amazing little kid. She tells me that when I'm old and unable to take myself to see them, that she will take me all the time . I hope I make it to those days
Old 08-13-2012, 06:38 AM

Default Big Glove project

Mike,

Love the Big Glove project!
Old 08-13-2012, 12:51 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Default Mark Hamburger

You need to get Mark Hamburger on their too
Old 08-13-2012, 03:02 PM
Bry.an Sylv.est3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF Auto Rookies View Post
You need to get Mark Hamburger on their too
He never played on the Rangers in 2012.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:11 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Whoops, you are correct. Figured he would have lol
Old 08-24-2012, 04:39 PM
Mike Navarro

Had an awesome time last night at the game with Maven. The Rangers won, and got to a season high 22 games over .500 record, but that doesn't really matter as to how our night goes, but it doesn't hurt

Maven starts school again next week, so this was probably our last opportunity to go really early together to get autographs, so of course we got there early. I was able to nab Olt and Dempster on my big glove to get ever closer to completion and Maven was able to add several as well. We also decided to get her photo with some of the easier to get guys for her to have.

Here she is with Mike Adams:

Here she is with Tanner Scheppers:

Here she is after talking with Joe Nathan and getting him to sign one of our team balls and harassing him a little bit about "just one more", you can kind of see him smiling and Maven grinning very proud of herself for getting him again

Here's Michael Kirkman signing her hat before we got the bright idea of asking them to take pictures with her:

Next up, Maven has been wanting us to try (and me too admittedly) the BOOMSTICK, the new culinary delight at the ballpark that is named after Nelson Cruz's bat, LOL. So her and I ordered this monstrosity:

After what seemed like an eternity, we finished it and here she is proudly shoveling in the last bite:

After the big dog, we toyed with the idea of leaving, as neither one of us really felt real well, but we did stay to watch the victory. We had an ex NY Yankee sitting by Maven during the game, (supposedly, I didn't recognize him and didn't want to ask who he was, but heard him talking to the kids in front of us about it, claimed he was an ex backup catcher) we did ask to see one of his World Series rings, and that was pretty neat. Ring was HUGE and full of bling. During the game, a guy named Jim Knox (who does the Rangers post game show) came to our section and Maven asked him how to be "Whataburger Fan of the Game" which is a bit that he does, and he said they already had one, but that if she wanted to be on TV, to come to the post game show in centerfield and that he would put us on. Her and I took my big glove and her hat to the post game show and true to his word, he did a short segment and we were both on TV and he really loved the glove, as when we came on camera, he got it from me and carried it around the whole bit and then brought it back and we were on camera again cheering and hollering for the Rangers. Got the whole bit on DVR at the house, as since I knew we were going to be on, I called my wife and had her tape it. Great night and on the way home, Maven said it was the "best time at the best game yet". I loved to hear that as she's a great kid and we have a blast together.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:29 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

You went to the ball park and only had one hotdog?
Old 08-25-2012, 06:56 PM
Mike Navarro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
You went to the ball park and only had one hotdog?
I'm on a diet! J/k
Old 08-26-2012, 04:39 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Mike...great pics...what a great father/daughter thing that she will remember for her whole life!

You're lucky the Rangers are such great signers....not quite the same luck up here in Boston with our band of over-priced divas!
Old 08-27-2012, 04:45 PM
Al

Default nice!

Mike,
What a great story! It was a pleasure to read!

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..
Old 08-30-2012, 07:45 PM
Mike Navarro

Had a day off from work Tuesday so went out to the tunnel. Was able to finally get Napoli when he arrived at the Ballpark. Got Josh Frasier (the bullpen catcher) inside the park. Maven had school and couldn't go, but I got for her on her hat, Ryan Dempster and Mike Napoli, Also added a couple sigs to my extra team ball I've been working on.

Mike Napoli

Josh Frasier

From the other day

Ryan Dempster

Old 09-15-2012, 12:02 PM
Mike Navarro

Maven and I both got Louis Martinez and Dave Anderson on our autograph items, but that wasn't the fun part. Last night, we were hanging out by the field before the game, and I was sitting there emailing on my phone while Maven was just hanging out. Next thing I know, I hear Maven chatting with someone, and I look up and see her holding Scott Feldman's glove, and he was right there with her. I heard her tell him, "I can't sign your glove because I only have a black marker (he had a black glove), do you have anything else?" He said "sure, how about this piece of paper" and next thing I know, she is signing an autograph FOR Scott Feldman. He told her he was going to hang it in his locker. VERY COOL of him, she was so ecstatic. I got a picture of them, and you can see him holding her autograph in his hand in my pic. Scott does benefits down here for the Wounded Warrior program, and seems like a neat young man. He pitches tonight, so hopefully Maven's graph will bring him good luck

After the game, we were right behind the dugout as it ended, and Brandon Snyder pointed at us, and threw us the final out ball. I caught it and gave it to Maven and she literally started jumping up and down. A neat way to end the night. The Rangers are so fan friendly (as a team, not all the guys). I'm happy for them that in their long history, they finally surpassed the 3 million fan attendance level this season. The management, the team, and us fans all deserve the fun atmosphere that their games are down here.

Here's the gameball,

I'm down to needing 5 on my glove and Maven is down to needing 9 on her hat.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenavarro View Post
Maven and I both got Louis Martinez and Dave Anderson on our autograph items, but that wasn't the fun part. Last night, we were hanging out by the field before the game, and I was sitting there emailing on my phone while Maven was just hanging out. Next thing I know, I hear Maven chatting with someone, and I look up and see her holding Scott Feldman's glove, and he was right there with her. I heard her tell him, "I can't sign your glove because I only have a black marker (he had a black glove), do you have anything else?" He said "sure, how about this piece of paper" and next thing I know, she is signing an autograph FOR Scott Feldman. He told her he was going to hang it in his locker. VERY COOL of him, she was so ecstatic. I got a picture of them, and you can see him holding her autograph in his hand in my pic. Scott does benefits down here for the Wounded Warrior program, and seems like a neat young man. He pitches tonight, so hopefully Maven's graph will bring him good luck

After the game, we were right behind the dugout as it ended, and Brandon Snyder pointed at us, and threw us the final out ball. I caught it and gave it to Maven and she literally started jumping up and down. A neat way to end the night. The Rangers are so fan friendly (as a team, not all the guys). I'm happy for them that in their long history, they finally surpassed the 3 million fan attendance level this season. The management, the team, and us fans all deserve the fun atmosphere that their games are down here.

Here's the gameball,

I'm down to needing 5 on my glove and Maven is down to needing 9 on her hat.
Great stuff, Mike! Keep it coming!
Old 09-15-2012, 06:54 PM
J@RR0D

Get those last 5!!! These are my favorite posts. I love how enthusiastic Maven is about this.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:24 PM
Mike Navarro

Maven and I added Wilmer Font to both of our items the last couple of days. Getting ever closer. I signed Maven up for Nelson Cruz's youth baseball camp this upcoming Saturday. She is SO excited as he is her favorite player. However, we may get screwed by MLB as they changed the Rangers game from Saturday night to Saturday afternoon. Camp organizers still say Nellie will be there but I know the other Rangers appearances in town that day have been cancelled. What bad luck that was Hopefully it works out in the end.

Here's Wilmer Font (He's a BIG guy)

Old 09-27-2012, 07:10 AM
M@tt Schw@de

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Great stuff, Mike! Keep it coming!
I love when players go out of their way for the kids... Last week, I went to the Dodgers-Reds game with one mission in mind and that was to get Don Mattingly's autograph on an index card for my Yankees retired # project and to get him to sign the two OMLBs that I had for my two sons. I got the index card (Yea!) before the game and decided to wait outside the hotel after the game for the two balls. Donnie Baseball was first off the bus and had a young boy with him and didn't feel comfortable stopping and signing in a tiny crowd with the child.

None of the players stopped, Josh Beckett was the biggest jerk when he (speed) walked by... But then Hanley Ramirez stopped and signed a few. I was front and center with a ball in hand along with a couple other guys and a few kids. It didn't take long to realize that he was skipping all the adults and only signing for the kids, I have no problem with that! And he even stopped and was talking to the seven or eight year old girl for a minute or so. It's times like that where you get a real appreciation for a player, as a person.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:55 AM
M@rk Cl@ry

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenavarro View Post
Here's Wilmer Font (He's a BIG guy)
]
As an A's fan, I love Wilmer Font! Any chance he can start today instead of Harrison??

To keep on topic, as much as I 'hate' the Rangers, it's great to see you enjoy such a fun project with your daughter!
Old 09-28-2012, 05:07 PM
Eri..c Hu.nt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschwade View Post
I was front and center with a ball in hand along with a couple other guys and a few kids. It didn't take long to realize that he was skipping all the adults and only signing for the kids, I have no problem with that!
That's funny. I can't tell you how many times I stood in a crowd for hours just to get continually skipped over. I've had a couple of times where I've had an athlete use my sharpie to sign everyone else's items and still refuse to sign mine.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschwade View Post
I love when players go out of their way for the kids... Last week, I went to the Dodgers-Reds game with one mission in mind and that was to get Don Mattingly's autograph on an index card for my Yankees retired # project and to get him to sign the two OMLBs that I had for my two sons. I got the index card (Yea!) before the game and decided to wait outside the hotel after the game for the two balls. Donnie Baseball was first off the bus and had a young boy with him and didn't feel comfortable stopping and signing in a tiny crowd with the child.

None of the players stopped, Josh Beckett was the biggest jerk when he (speed) walked by... But then Hanley Ramirez stopped and signed a few. I was front and center with a ball in hand along with a couple other guys and a few kids. It didn't take long to realize that he was skipping all the adults and only signing for the kids, I have no problem with that! And he even stopped and was talking to the seven or eight year old girl for a minute or so. It's times like that where you get a real appreciation for a player, as a person.
I met Hanley on a few occassions and he was a jerk. Heck, I even got his signature on a ASG ball from the 08 Game, and he signed his name with a G.

Be very careful, once Hanley thinks he's not expendable he'll treat you guys like junk. Ask any Marlins fan, all three of us around.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:29 PM

That big glove project is awesome BTW, great you got to expericance that with your daughter. Hopefully I can do the same when I have little minions.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:11 PM
Mike Navarro

Maven's favorite player has been Nelson Cruz for a few years now. I took her to his youth baseball camp today and she had a blast. There is massive rainfall down here today, so the camp was moved into a gym rather than the ball field, but it was still fun.

Here's Maven ready to play in her eye black:

Here's Nellie:

And finally on my glove:

Maven also got to take a picture with Nellie and got some more autographs of Nellie and Mike Adams. The camp hasn't emailed us our picture yet. She's impatient to see it, LOL.

Now down to needing only 4 on my glove, Ian Kinsler, Elvis Andrus, Giovanny Soto and Jurickson Profar.

Rangers game against Halos is currently delayed for at least a couple hours and probably more.

Mike

Last edited by thenavarro; 09-29-2012 at 03:35 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:53 PM
Is@ac Le.vin

Craving an update
Old 10-03-2012, 03:43 PM
Mike Navarro

Isaac

They are out in Oakland getting their butts handed to them so I haven't had a chance to do any graph chasing this week. Just got Maven and Nellie's photo though