NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 09-27-2012, 01:00 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Default Ebay Question...

So I recently won an item on eBay and within 24 hours received a message from a seller (not the one I purchased from) that said:

Good Morning,
I noticed you bought a 1953 Connie Mack Autographed Postcard/Note on here. I am about to sell a few of my high end signed items from my collection. Babe Ruth Signed Ball, Lou Gehrig Ball, Roger Maris Signed Ball. Mostly players Ruth, Gehrig, Clemente, Wagner, Munson, Robinson, Mathewson, Ott, Cobb, Foxx and Young. All my items come authenticated and with a Certificate of Authenticity each. Let me know which players you are interested in and I will send pictures and prices.

My question is: How did this seller know that I purchased the item since eBay is supposed to know keep the buyers identity private...

Am I missing something? Did anyone else get this message?
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123

Last edited by jgmp123; 09-27-2012 at 01:01 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:04 PM
Is@ac Le.vin

best guess is if you payed through paypal your email was on the invoice, viewable to the seller
Old 09-27-2012, 01:09 PM
Shale Levine

That doesn't make sense since it was a different seller that contacted him, not the one he bought it from. You might try contacting ebay and ask them how he got your email address because I thought all information was protected too.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:15 PM
Is@ac Le.vin

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyman55 View Post
That doesn't make sense since it was a different seller that contacted him, not the one he bought it from. You might try contacting ebay and ask them how he got your email address because I thought all information was protected too.
wow i totally missed that part in the post, maybe different ebay accounts for the same guy, or a friend? i know that you can look in the bids and see the 1st and last character of the bidder with their feedback rating.... im lost after that
Old 09-27-2012, 01:20 PM
Charles

I received that message in the past. PM me with the name and I will tell you if it was the same guy. I have no idea how they got my name either?
Old 09-27-2012, 01:21 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Guy's ID is out of Maryland...Maybe it may ring a bell eBay ID: loveofbaseball55

Obviously, just making everyone aware, in case it is a scam.
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

Last edited by jgmp123; 09-27-2012 at 01:22 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:22 PM
Greg

Was it a message thru eBay's system or a direct email? If it was an eBay message, they might have found your eBay ID via feedback (left or received) for that item.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:25 PM
Charles

Interesting...must be same guy. Mine was out of MD, loveofbaseball54. He sent message through ebay to me.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:27 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by otismalibu View Post
Was it a message thru eBay's system or a direct email? If it was an eBay message, they might have found your eBay ID via feedback (left or received) for that item.
Direct eBay Message...No feedback left yet. Just paid for item yesterday...

Old 09-27-2012, 01:30 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

I told him to email me what he had...this is what was sent...Pretty hard to believe a guy could assemble that nice of a collection and then sell it all off...

Hi James,
Thanks for your interest. Here is my full current up to date list of autographed baseballs below. Which baseballs would you like to see photos of? Thanks, Steve

Babe Ruth
Lou Gehrig
Roger Maris
Thurman Munson
Jackie Robinson
Rogers Hornsby
Tris Speaker
Walter Johnson
Honus Wagner
Larry Nap Lajoie
Eddie Collins
Jimmie Foxx
Christy Mathewson
Cy Young
Mel Ott
Roberto Clemente

Old 09-27-2012, 01:30 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

If it is someone who already knows your user name (ie someone who you purchased something from in the past) he can see all of your activity by doing an advanced search by bidder.

Jeff
Old 09-27-2012, 01:35 PM
Is@ac Le.vin

Well this guy joined ebay over a month ago and has won 2 auctions, both for refrigerator magnets

interesting...
Old 09-27-2012, 01:36 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibuysportsephemera View Post
If it is someone who already knows your user name (ie someone who you purchased something from in the past) he can see all of your activity by doing an advanced search by bidder.

Jeff
Yeah...Never purchased from him....I'm assuming it is just SPAM, but I am just wondering how he did it...

Last edited by jgmp123; 09-27-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:57 PM
Greg

Quote:
No feedback left yet. Just paid for item yesterday...
So the seller didn't already leave feedback for you? Some do, as soon as payment is received.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:10 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by otismalibu View Post
So the seller didn't already leave feedback for you? Some do, as soon as payment is received.
You are correct! Just noticed that seller left feedback this morning...

So obviously this guy is trolling feedback...

Old 09-27-2012, 03:11 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Ask him to send some photos, let's see what crap he's peddlin'.

Ken
Old 09-27-2012, 03:20 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
Ask him to send some photos, let's see what crap he's peddlin'.

Ken
Already on it...sent an email a few hours ago requesting the pics...

Old 09-27-2012, 04:29 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Here is what was sent...any thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HOB163.JPG (39.7 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg HOB177.JPG (25.3 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg HOB231.JPG (39.9 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg HOB232.JPG (36.8 KB, 116 views)

Old 09-27-2012, 04:34 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

I asked him for a pic of the COA's...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HOB219.jpg (61.6 KB, 116 views)

Old 09-27-2012, 05:08 PM
Wayne Walker

As expected, those look horrible.

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all
Old 09-27-2012, 05:12 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

There is one way to find out, but its a round about way. If I know someone's Ebay ID I can search for things he has won. But you need to already know the ID. If you also sell things then your ID would show up on those.

Last edited by mcgwirecom; 09-27-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:33 PM
Vincent Hecksel

Default I am not a stalker; but stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night

It's time consuming, but it's possible, through continually capturing member ids through other buyer and seller ids posted in feedback. Literally possible to create a list of several thousand member id's (and respective feedback #) over the course of 8-12 hours of drilling through feedback responses. Bonus is when brief descriptions of lots won, and winning bid amount is also captured. With that info, possible to create a brief member profile of the types of items, and what he/she is willing to.

Last edited by HexsHeroes; 09-27-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:53 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by HexsHeroes View Post

It's time consuming, but it's possible, through continually capturing member ids through other buyer and seller ids posted in feedback. Literally possible to create a list of several thousand member id's (and respective feedback #) over the course of 8-12 hours of drilling through feedback responses. Bonus is when brief descriptions of lots won, and winning bid amount is also captured. With that info, possible to create a brief member profile of the types of items, and what he/she is willing to.
I'm not sure to be scared to fall asleep tonight or to laugh at how much time this guy put into the operation...Also, price was $1500 each if anyone is interested!!

Old 09-27-2012, 06:09 PM
Dan Brown

I agree with Vincent. I've gone trolling before when I was outbid on an item I looked at the winning bidders feedback score and what % he has dealt with that seller. If it is high then go into the sellers feedback and try and matchup feedback scores to find who won the item i was interested in. It doesn't always work and is time consuming but sometimes you can find out who won items. I have never contacted the bidder, just curious to see who's buying.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:16 PM
Vincent Hecksel

Default Don't be afraid ...

. . . I just need to get a hobby to pass my time

Last edited by HexsHeroes; 09-27-2012 at 08:17 PM.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:03 AM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by HexsHeroes View Post

. . . I just need to get a hobby to pass my time
+1...Truly frightened now...

Old 09-29-2012, 10:55 PM
James Wymer

[QUOTE=jgmp123;1039829]So I recently won an item on eBay and within 24 hours received a message from a seller (not the one I purchased from) that said:

Good Morning,
I noticed you bought a 1953 Connie Mack Autographed Postcard/Note on here. I am about to sell a few of my high end signed items from my collection. Babe Ruth Signed Ball, Lou Gehrig Ball, Roger Maris Signed Ball. Mostly players Ruth, Gehrig, Clemente, Wagner, Munson, Robinson, Mathewson, Ott, Cobb, Foxx and Young. All my items come authenticated and with a Certificate of Authenticity each. Let me know which players you are interested in and I will send pictures and prices.

My question is: How did this seller know that I purchased the item since eBay is supposed to know keep the buyers identity private...

I don't trust privacy policies of such large companies. When I search for something on ebay these items will show as ads on my search engine browser not always, but often.
Always accepting quality consignments

Last edited by Wymers Auction; 09-29-2012 at 10:59 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:51 AM
Brandon

I also remember getting a message that is eerily like this one a couple years ago or so right after I purchased a fairly pricey autograph. I remember him telling me he was going to be in my area and could meet me if I was interested...of course I never responded. Back then it was easier to ebay stalk someone. Also I live nowhere near maryland and i'm positive this guy is the same spammer
Old 10-01-2012, 06:13 AM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by gashousegang_1 View Post
I also remember getting a message that is eerily like this one a couple years ago or so right after I purchased a fairly pricey autograph. I remember him telling me he was going to be in my area and could meet me if I was interested...of course I never responded. Back then it was easier to ebay stalk someone. Also I live nowhere near maryland and i'm positive this guy is the same spammer
Brandon,

Funny thing is, the guy is out of Maryland, but said he would be visiting family in Carmel, Indiana...That's about 5 minutes from my work and 20 from my home...