NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-09-2017, 09:51 AM
Tim Newcomb

Default no one should be laughing

How many post-season no-hitters for Pettitte? He's blown out of the water on that one!

Seriously, Halladay got 5 starts in the postseason, Pettitte 41. Don't you think Pettitte's teams might have had something to do with it?

Personally I think they are both HOFers but IMHO, your reasoning is laughable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
And how many post season wins for Doc? Hes blown out of the water from that.

Also Doc's 2 worst seasons were far worse than anything Pettite did..so 2-0 there as well. As for top 6 or top 3 in cy young...3-6 is a lot of the same class. Baseball reference uses the top 6..and most people go by baseball reference as the standard.

We dont know how Roy would of did on Pettite's teams but Pettite took advantage of his opportunity. He was never sent down to the minors in his 3rd season or later due to ineffectiveness as well. Also its not like the win total is even close. Pettite blows Roy out of the water in that category and counting stats matter until you show me a 300 winner not make to the HOF.

Tim Lincecum won two Cy youngs. .wining a Cy young or two doesnt make you a HOF at all. The counting stats matter and pettite destroys Doc in most of them.

Its laughable you think it is laughable to compare the two.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:12 AM
St3phen M@rchillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by timn1 View Post
How many post-season no-hitters for Pettitte? He's blown out of the water on that one!

Seriously, Halladay got 5 starts in the postseason, Pettitte 41. Don't you think Pettitte's teams might have had something to do with it?

Agree with most of this but not with Pettitte being an hofer.

The argument about 300 wins is also laughable because Pettitte doesn't have 300 or even 270. Also Pettitte has a career 3.83 era I believe. How many hofers have an era that high.

I'll wait.....
Old 11-09-2017, 10:22 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchillo View Post
Agree with most of this but not with Pettitte being an hofer.

The argument about 300 wins is also laughable because Pettitte doesn't have 300 or even 270. Also Pettitte has a career 3.83 era I believe. How many hofers have an era that high.

I'll wait.....
Red Ruffing era was 3.8 but he won 273 games.

Roys era is about 3.6, so not sure how that great era supports him (woudl put him bottom 5 of the current 75 pitchers in HOF). Petiite played 2 more years than Roy yet the two worst seasons between the two pitchers are assessed to Roy not Pettite.

The argument about 300 wins is to say that counting stats matter unless someone with 300 wins doesnt go into the HOF. Not sure thats a laughable argument.

Petitte has about 275 combined wins with postseason and regular season compared to how many by Roy...thats the argument that counting stats matter.

Winning 2 cy youngs doesnt get you into the HOF.

Saying its not fair Petitte got wins on teams that Roy didnt get is all about opportunity. It is what it is. Petitte blows Roy out of the water in wins which is a big stat for the HOF.

You want to talk about how many pitchers get into the HOF with a 3.8 era. (or 3.6 for Roy) .i would counter that with how may starters win less than 203 games get into the HOF and not due to early injury/political reason/also closer etc) Smoltz won 213 for example

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 11-09-2017 at 10:39 AM.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:07 AM
St3phen M@rchillo

Try 3.39.

Also Pettitte's whip is gross at 1.351 even higher than Tim Wakefields!

He would be 4th worst there!
Old 11-09-2017, 11:11 AM
Kyle May

Here you go guys. Knock yourselves out.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...81#post1718381

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 11-09-2017, 12:31 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchillo View Post
Try 3.39.

Also Pettitte's whip is gross at 1.351 even higher than Tim Wakefields!

He would be 4th worst there!
Even at 3.39/3.40 its still bottom 10 of every pitcher in the HOF..thats hardly a strength

You really digging deep to get to Whip. Lefty Gomez whip was worse than Petitte and Lefty is in the HOF..

..whatever you want to say it didnt cause petitte to lose games...he won 60 or so more games they Roy

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 11-09-2017 at 12:33 PM.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:39 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

I thought people only pointed to pitchers' career wins out of sarcasm these days, like to "prove" that Don Sutton was better than Tom Seaver, or Jerry Koosman was better than Sandy Koufax or whatever.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:45 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
I thought people only pointed to pitchers' career wins out of sarcasm these days, like to "prove" that Don Sutton was better than Tom Seaver, or Jerry Koosman was better than Sandy Koufax or whatever.
I thought people did that with sarcasm if that was the ONLY state they were pointing too. People also have that attitude for ERA and Whip as well

However if player A won 300 more games than player B with an equal number of games started, i think it would be silly not to point out the great disparity in wins when comparing the two..

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 11-09-2017 at 12:47 PM.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:47 PM
Al Richter

A lot of similarities to the 1997 John Denver crash

Article on FAA findings on that one

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrSb...BZDTZkbHR9NUc-

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 11-09-2017 at 12:49 PM.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:28 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by timn1 View Post

It is what it is. You cant assume Roy would of done well in the postseason, we dont know. .the only data we have is Petitte DID well. Lots of guys dont get opportunities but they are't held in higher regard than people than did get opportunities and came through..

You dont get into the HOF for pitching no hitters

As far as talking about Roy's stats after the recent news. i think its pretty normal to discuss careers of people and where they stand against other peoples careers especially in the entertainment and sports. This is exactly when these discussions occur, after recent news.

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 11-09-2017 at 10:30 AM.