NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-13-2007, 10:35 AM
Administrator

Default Texas Tommy

Posted By: Mike

A question on Texas Tommy's. I know most were found in the Northern california region. Does anyone know what Texas Tommy was, and were they only distributed in Northern Cal. And can anyone show us the Wagner from either the small or the large set ? I've always wanted to see them. I know they're obscure, but I also know someone in here has them.

Old 04-13-2007, 10:37 AM
Administrator

Default Texas Tommy

Posted By: barrysloate

There was a dance around the turn of the century called the "Texas Tommy."

Old 04-13-2007, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Default Texas Tommy

Where do the cards come in then?

Old 04-13-2007, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Default Texas Tommy

Posted By: Brad

http://www.oldcardboard.com/e/e2/e224/e224-1gal.asp

Old 04-13-2007, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Default Texas Tommy

Duh.....I should have consulted Old C.

Thanks.

Old 04-13-2007, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Default Texas Tommy

Posted By: barrysloate

I don't get the connection between the cards and the dance, but if the dance was popular for a period of time, then Texas Tommy might be a catchy name for a product. I admit I'm grasping straws here.

Old 04-13-2007, 10:48 AM
Administrator

Default Texas Tommy

Posted By: Steve f

I believe a derivative of that dance survives today, in a ranch outside of Lubbock.

Old 04-13-2007, 10:52 AM
Administrator

Default Texas Tommy

I get dizzy when I turn my riding lawn mower too fast....That dance isn't for me. And happily, people in my neighborhood are into sailing....And is there a winner in this Tractor dance?

Old 04-13-2007, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Default Texas Tommy

Posted By: Zach Rice

I posted this once earlier but thought it fit this thread well so am posting it again.

John Esch did a wonderful article on the E224 set for Old Cardboard magazine. In it, he goes into great depth into the set, the name and the set's origin. Below is a part of the article where his opinion on the name is given. To understand the below section, it is important to know that earlier in the article the company that produced the set is discussed, the Cardinet Candy Company which was located in San Francisco.

The Texas Tommy was a popular ballroom dance, which began gaining notoriety about 1909. According to the website wwww.streetsing.com, Texas Tommy is said by many to be the first swing dance. It is credited as the forerunner of the Lindy Hop and later, the Jitterbug. The Fairmont Hotel is credited with giving birth to the Texas Tommy. And where was the Fairmount located? Yes, San Francisco--just across the Bay Bridge from Oakland. We may be on to something here ! The Dance was solidified as a craze with its appearance in the Ziegfield Follies in 1911 and the Darktown Follies in Harlem in 1913. Texas Tommy cards date from 1914. Hmm!

But why choose to name a candy bar for a dance? Well, why not? You had baby Ruth, O'Henry and for that matter, Cracker Jack which used names totally unrelated to the product's content. Texas Tommy was a catchy name; it had some common usage and a positive, maybe even hip connotation. Considering the Cardinet's other brands including names like Abba Zabba and U-NO, the Texas Tommy name seems very plausible.

Old 04-13-2007, 01:05 PM
Administrator

Default Texas Tommy

Makes sense. As good as any.

Thanks