NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-14-2008, 05:33 AM
Administrator

Default What Do You Do When A Card Has Been Lost In The Mail?

Posted By: Dave F

"Uncle Cashews", don't beat around the bush...what does that mean?

Old 04-14-2008, 06:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

Someone using the automated postal machine in the PO could mail their package, get a receipt showing the zip code but then NOT deposit the package in the chute.

How do you 'mail your package' yet not deposit i in a chute?

I have never seen an automated postal machine in a PO that a customer can use.

And if the OP used any near the college (I am from the same area) he sure as heck didn't.

Bottom line is he claims to have sent it, it didn't arrive and he is obligated to get the item or the money
to the buyer.

Steve

Old 04-14-2008, 06:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Every post office I go into in Dallas (and that is about 5 different ones) have self service kiosks....I use them frequently and you can absolutely buy postage and not send the package. No one would know and you can just take your package and leave after the postage stamp is processed.

As for this Cashews vs Addie dilemma....I am thinking Cashews = Addie. In 7 yrs on this board you start to get to know how people act and things occur. How many people have we seen login with the same IP address, stay anonymous, claim to be the cousin/uncle of someone else in a dispute and ALL the time wanting to remain anonymous? Answer - 0. If I had a cousin or brother having issues I would come out and say....Hi, I am "Bob Smith" and so and so is my cousin. I wouldn't be anonymous. Plus, just having 2 vintage collectors that aren't immediate family in the same house is sort of a long shot to start with. I think Addie is Cashews. If I am not correct then Cashews can prove me wrong. All of this being said Cashews is about a half a step from being banned due to the anonymity rules on the forum. regards

Old 04-14-2008, 06:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

"I have never seen an automated postal machine in a PO that a customer can use."

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Old 04-14-2008, 06:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff D.

Steve I don't want to bemoan the issue but my post office has a self serve, automated kiosk, and it's your own responsibility to put the package in a huge mail box (like a giant version of the blue things outside) after the machine prints out postage that you must affix to your own package. There are no postal employees supervising any of this.

And upon thinking about this some more, I have myself purchased postage for an unsealed envelope, had it affixed to the package, and then walked away with it, so that I could continue to fill out a money order and place it within the package with the "pre-printed" stamp. No one would have stopped me if I walked out the door.

I agree though that none of this really matters, but it IS possible to have a receipt with a zip and not send the package.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Marty Ogelvie

Considering the number of responses to this original post, I suspect it has ventured way off topic, more than once. I simply do not have the time to read through it..

I will say this; I typically check the sellers feedback and if its clean, I presume the package was lost in the mail, hope it returns to sender or eventually gets to me.. As long as the seller is cooperative and responds to emails, we will work it out.  I'm pretty easy to deal with. 

martyOgelvie
nyyankeecards.com

edited for clarity.. still not very clear though..

Old 04-14-2008, 08:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob D.

The post office I go to in Westerville, Ohio, not exactly a metropolis like Dallas or Los Angeles, also has a self-serve kiosk (which I use whenever possible, btw.)

Old 04-14-2008, 08:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Addie did use his email one time that I'm aware of - I believe his real name is Frank Weisberg - at least that's the email that he used. I too think Cashews = Addie. I know the writing styles are different, but I guess if one were trying to hide from his past persona why not just stop using capitalization and punctuation?

Old 04-14-2008, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: ChuckMontoya

I lurk here alot....for years now. I've posted before to say how much the dealings and respect have impressed me so very much. That being said, who cares if Addie is a kid? Does that excuse him from fairness and the expectation of being a stand up guy? As the saying goes "If you can't play with the Big Dogs, then stay on the porch" If I had a nephew that approached his dealings in the manner that Addie has, I would kick him in the butt, make him write a letter of apology to the Board and, make him repay every dime. Furthermore I would encourage him to tell Marty to keep the cards if they ever show up. Addie/Cashew seem to be cut from the same cloth. Neither of them deserve to be a part of this board! What a crock when Cashew has the audacity to say that some were too hard on the boy. Make him be responsible or he'll never be a MAN!! I think this boy needs a good old fashion 'splainin session.

Nuff Said,
Chuck Montoya

Edited title....... Plus I really would've liked to see how Addie would handle this had he been on the short end of this deal. No Class. Absolutely No Class!

Old 04-14-2008, 12:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

I just went through a lost card issue with a seller. I paid $4.92 for a common card, plus $1.99 for shipping it. He tossed the card in a regular mail envelope with a stamp on it. The envelope must have split in the mail or something because I got an envelope with a packing slip but no card. The seller offered to send a replacement card, I said fine. Weeks passed with no card, so I filed a paypal claim. He then sent the replacement card. I left neutral feedback because I had to push so much to get the replacement; now he's all ticked off at me for the neutral.

I don't know, I just feel that a seller has the obligation to properly pack an item so that it stands a chance of getting there in one piece and if it doesn't because the packaging is crap, do the right thing and take some friggin' responsibility, especially if it is a cheap, common item and you have a ready replacement.

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Old 04-14-2008, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Everything you said.....ditto from me too. BTW, I think we are seeing how Addie would handle it....uh er...I mean Cashews....the alter ego....

Old 04-14-2008, 02:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JK

The funniest thing to me about this entire thread - which I just wasted half a day reading - is Cashew's link to the cyber bullying website. Even after taking half a second to read that site, its clear that no such "bullying" occured here. Cyber bullying - that's just rich.

Old 04-14-2008, 03:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DMcD

I think Cashews (gesundheit) was trying to help out Jim VB who received three unwanted e-mails (cyber-bullying?) from Addie who, it appears, is Cashews in the first place and it just gets curiouser and curiouser.

Vintage cards, Hawaiian maidens, plenty penguins and more at . .
http://ImageEvent.com/kawika_o_ka_pakipika

Old 04-14-2008, 04:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Andy

Something similar happened to me. I won a T206 card from Denny Walsh, and paid for the item. I emailed to ask if he would guarantee the card was not trimmed, he didn't respond and the card never arrived. He claimed that he sent it, but since I didn't opt for insurance he did nothing and I was out my money. I did not like that very much.

Old 04-14-2008, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

Andy - did you leave negative feedback?

Old 04-14-2008, 04:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob L. aka Peanut Brittle

I came here to defend both Addie and Cashews. I am Cashews fathers, brothers, twice removed cousins,half sisters former room mate.These guys are telling the truth and haved been wronged by you forum members..... Obviously I am just kidding and I have to say that this goes right up there with the "dog ate my homework" line. A total load of BS.

Regards,
"Peanut Brittle"

Old 04-14-2008, 07:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Elm

I literally don't know a single person on this board, so I can't be considered as biased, but it seems to me this Addie fellah was only looking for opinions on a topic most of us have experienced to some degree in our collecting lives. What to do when there's a problem with a mailed card not reaching its destination.
If he's a scammer, why'd he start this thread to begin with? What's the point? He seems to only have gotten flustered when certain "pilers on" appeared, as they always do.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:24 PM
Administrator

Elm,

Would love to know who "piled it on" as they always do, unjustly.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:26 PM
Administrator

Come on now. You wanna bait me? Ain't gonna happen. The fact remains, he started the thread. What's the angle for a scam here?

Old 04-14-2008, 08:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I personally don't think he was trying to scam anyone. I think the package got lost. He is still responsible for the package getting to its destination though and he should reimburse the buyer.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:11 PM
Administrator

Elm,

No...I don't want to bait you. I'm simply saying go ahead and expand on what you said about folks here piling on. Would love to know what was said that wasn't justified. As you say it, you don't know anyone here...thats fine. I'll fill you in, the BST is what it is because the members here use it responsibly and act like adults, unlike all the cowboy and indian crap going on with ebay. If its not used properly, then someone shouldn't be allowed to use it.

Not sure Elm what would constitute a "problem" in your world, but to me just because someone starts a thread about themselves not doing the right thing and hoping someone will agree with them doesn't make them untouchable. Neither does the excuses that the buyer didn't ask for insurance, neither does the excuse of being a kid, and neither does the excuse of dropping their little handle here totally after the going got rough and choosing another handle (the amusing part being that he named himself after a nut), and pretending to be the uncle (only after someone busted him on that).

So no Elm, not trying to "bait" you, trying to understand you....

Old 04-14-2008, 08:26 PM
Administrator

You're giving this thread waaaaay more thought than I am. As my message title explicitly expressed, I was playing 'devil's advocate' in wondering where any scamming came into play. And I still refuse to be baited by you. Thanks anyway.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:33 PM
Administrator

Elm,

I'm not trying to argue if it was a scam. I said above earlier today I don't care if he has a receipt, doesn't have a receipt, shipped the card to the correct address, put it in his dresser drawer or shipped it to Santa Claus...thats all well and good, the card didn't get there. It has nothing to do with being a scam. It was simply someone using this board that couldn't provide exactly what they are supposed to, either the card or the money back.

The only reason I'm putting way too much into this as you said is because you chose to come on here and say there are folks that piled on this guy as they always do in every thread....so, back up that statement. I'm sure one of the folks is/was me. Back up that statement, or shutup.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:36 PM
Administrator

Funny, I don't recall electing you as arbiter around these parts. Keep piling on. No problem.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:56 PM
Administrator

Maybe Elm is "Cashews fathers, brothers, twice removed cousins,half sisters former room mate"

Seriously though Elm, Addie asked what others would do and then acted like somebody raped his favorite baby seal when the answers came. I think his bringing this to the board was his way of trying to feel out whether he could actually get away with not doing what is right. Unfortunately some folk delusionally figure that since they're smart then that means everbody else is stupid. Way too much life experience on this board for that kind of poopy. He needs to go back to maybe nickalodeons pog trading sight amongst his peers to play this kind of game. This has gone way past the idea of "an innocent" seeking to learn from the factotems that make up this board.

Regards,
Chuck Montoya

Old 04-14-2008, 09:04 PM
Administrator

Hey, Chuck. That was actually very funny!
But, no, I have no connection to Addie the Cashew.

I was playing devil's advocate because there seemed to be a lot of talk about scamming. I didn't read each and every post in the thread, so I was confused about why someone would start a thread only to be hammered for it. And we all know there are always certain people who just love to sit back and be tough guys on message boards. These are the pilers on I was referring to.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:48 PM
Administrator

Elm,

First you say people were piling on, then you state that you didnt read the entire thread. Which is it? Perhaps before you make comments like that you ought to at least have an idea what the thread was about. It really has nothing to do with scammers. Not one person here seriously believes that Addie tried to intentionally scam anyone - that doesnt change the fact that he didnt deliver a card that he was obligated to deliver.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:17 PM
Administrator

JK said:
"Elm,
First you say people were piling on, then you state that you didnt read the entire thread. Which is it? Perhaps before you make comments like that you ought to at least have an idea what the thread was about. It really has nothing to do with scammers. Not one person here seriously believes that Addie tried to intentionally scam anyone - that doesnt change the fact that he didnt deliver a card that he was obligated to deliver."

This is just out of control. What I said was "I didn't read each and every post in the thread."
What the hell are you talking about, JK???? I don't have an idea what the thread is about? Are you effing kidding me??? Look who's piling on now. Yet you're criticizing me for saying people are piling on?????? What kind of stupid logic is that?????

I know exactly what this thread is about. That's why I presented a devil's advocate side to it. CLEARLY people are thinking he's scamming. I have no idea whether or not he is.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Goff

Elm

You keep saying people are "piling it on", when in fact not one person is doing such a thing. They are only giving their opinions. That's what Addie was asking for when he started this thread and that's what he received, which he did not like. If this were ebay and the buyer filed a complaint with ebay and paypal, Addie would be out the $150, no questions asked. I feel he didn't scam anyone either, but by what Marty posted (the buyer) Addie has yet to make good on his half refund and until that happens, people here are going to see him as a scammer. That's just the way of life. I am sorry if you see it differently.

David

edited to add interesting link..pretty much along the same lines as what's going on in this thread

http://consumerist.com/379472/sears-refuses-to-refund-1070-for-tv-they-never-delivered

Old 04-15-2008, 07:32 AM
Administrator

Your right Elm, no need for me to keep pointing out the facts here. This is way too one sided. Your a nut, and not putting anything of substance here other than to say people like Josh and I are "pilers".

Old 04-15-2008, 07:35 AM
Administrator

Dave - Elm's just a troll who is trying to start something. He also needs to identify himself since he is not known per forum rules. I would just ignore him as he clearly has no idea what this thread is about.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:33 AM
Administrator

Elm needs to be known if he wants to partake in this kind of thread. Anymore posts from Elm, in this thread, will be immediately deleted if they don't have a full name and good email address with them....nothing personal. It's the same rules for everyone. regards

Old 04-15-2008, 06:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

I almost gotta go with Elm here.

"Not one person here seriously believes that Addie tried to intentionally scam anyone"

Josh, I know what you are trying to say - most people on this board will give the benefit of the doubt, and the fact that Addie has completely balled this thing up does not mean that everyone thinks he started out with an intent to defraud anyone. This board is generally more advanced than that.

But when there is all this talk about how a receipt from the post office showing a destination zip code doesn't prove anything unless you have a video of yourself dropping the package into a mailbox (Whuh?? Huh??) or whatever, then very very clearly there are people here implying - or outright saying - that he set out to deliberatley scam someone.

I know. I'm going to get responses to the effect that so and so never said that he didn't mail it. But when someone pointedly comments that a PO receipt with a destination zip code is bupkus by way of any evidence of mailing, surely the intent is to suggest that not only did Addie never mail it, but that he fabricated evidence to show he did. It's saying he's a scammer.

So I do know what you mean Josh, and I like to think that of the board myself. But I also know what Elm means too. Maybe "piling on" is the wrong term because it implies a lot, or a majority, and that may be overstating it. But there is definitely a thread within this thread in which accusations of an intentional ripoff are implied.

Par for the course anymore.

J

(Oh, and none of this changes the fact that Addie has made a mess of this. But as Josh and some others point out, it seems clear that it was a pure accident/mail loss, followed by some spectacularly poor decisions on his part.)

Old 04-15-2008, 07:02 PM
Administrator

Haha joann - so the piling on is my fault? Thanks for the laugh.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:32 PM
Administrator

I don't think there necessarily is piling on. I think - read above - that there is a corner of this thread that moved beyond Addie not standing up like he should, and suggested that he outright pulled a scam by getting a receipt and not mailing the item.

It's different.

I think that most of the board stuck to the core issue of Addie's disastrous decisions after the card got lost or misdirected or whatever, and rightfully think he's not welcome here until he fixes those decisions. The "his PO receipt means nothing because a scammer would have a receipt without having mailed the item" part of the thread is, thankfully, a minority.

Joann

Old 04-15-2008, 07:46 PM
Administrator

joann - there is no "his PO receipt means nothing because a scammer would have a receipt without having mailed the item" part of the thread.

There is a "a PO receipt doesn't mean it got sent" part of this thread.

There is a chasm between accusing someone of doing wrong and suggesting that their defense is not factually correct. The difference is one you have failed to make in multiple threads.

To help illustrate, consider this (purposely silly) example: if someone accused of murder (A) comes on and says they couldn't have murdered because they are blind, a poster (B) saying that blind people can murder isn't accusing A of murder; B is just saying that such an argument is not factually accurate. All that was said here is that a receipt of paying for postage is not proof of mailing.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim VB

Joann,

I agree with you that the core issue is that Addie has to step up and do the right thing, but...

A part of addie's twisted logic was that he shouldn't have to do anything because he mailed the card and could "prove" it. Although I believe he did mail the card several people pointed out that there is at least one way to have the same proof he has and not have ever mailed the card. As long as he was holding that position, both on the board and in private emails to me, the only rebuttal was to let him know that his "proof" was less than ironclad.

I don't think he ever intended to do anything wrong here, but when it went bad he asked for advice, and then attacked everyone who offered any, if it didn't agree with his own thinking. He was apparently hoping to get the board to say it was OK for him to do nothing.

I for one, will never see it as "piling on" when he takes the time to send me three emails telling me to stop posting about him while at the same time, can't take the time to make contact with the buyer.

If this is piling on, the board should do more of it.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:11 PM
Administrator

I agree though that none of this really matters, but it IS possible to have a receipt with a zip and not send the package

I stand corrected, I can say that around here (The part of Westchester I am in) we have nothing like that and FWIW I once asked
the teller if he could do the metered post for me (I needed a timed post) and I'd send it later. He said no, once it is stamped
here he has to take it. I guess it is like anything with them each branch will give you a different answer to a question.

Steve

Old 04-15-2008, 08:14 PM
Administrator

Know what Matt? I could trash your logic and show it to be completely superficial and inconclusive. Even had a response to that effect typed. But I'm going to do something different instead.

OK. You only pointed out a factual incorrectness in Addie's defense of having a receipt. You, a completely disinterested and logical bystander, merely called his attention to a factual bobble on his part. Right.

The bottom line is this - all of your "factual inaccuracy" posts are fashioned with a view to putting your target in the worst possible light. I have never, ever, one time ever ever ever ever seen you give ANYONE the benefit of the doubt. Ever.

Yours is always the harshest possible view of the facts, the most accusatory tone of the questioning, and the most geared toward suggesting that a person is dishonest, bad, wrong, an evildoer. A scammer. And then you want to hide behind your semantics and say 'well I never SAID that'. Well guess what Mac. You did.

So I'm not going to pick apart your undeveloped logic. I will just say that it doesn't matter how you try to couch your words in wiggle room and technicalities. What matters is that you have never shown a hint of ability to advocate for any outcome except that someone else is a crook, a scammer, or whatever.

Joann

Old 04-15-2008, 08:15 PM
Administrator

The sad thing about all this is for a lousy 2.00-3.00 this item could have been insured and had delivery confirmation.

Steve

Old 04-15-2008, 08:15 PM
Administrator

Joanne,

You state: "But when there is all this talk about how a receipt from the post office showing a destination zip code doesn't prove anything unless you have a video of yourself dropping the package into a mailbox (Whuh?? Huh??) or whatever, then very very clearly there are people here implying - or outright saying - that he set out to deliberatley scam someone."

Sorry, but I think you completely miss the point. As Matt states, Addie used the receipt as a defense to stepping up and refunding the money. In essence, his argument was, "I can prove I sent it, therefore, I dont have to refund the money he sent me."

Well, I think everyone who was commenting about the receipt was simply pointing out the implausibility of that defense. First, the receipt does not PROVE the card was sent; and second, even if you sent it, it didnt get there. Therefore, you have not lived up to your end of the deal." Surely you can recognize the difference between pointing out the flaws in ones logic and accusing someone of doing something illegal.

That was the jist of this thread, nothing more. No accusations that Addie was intentionally scamming anyone. In fact, most went out of their way to note that they believed that the package was sent.

Elm, on the otherhand, failed to read the thread in its entirety and failed to comprehend that this thread was not about piling on, but was instead responsive to Addie's own question.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

I like applesauce.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:26 PM
Administrator

As do I.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:43 AM
Administrator

Actually, Josh, as I think about your post I think you may be right and I am misreading the intent among some posters.

The sad thing is that, ironically, when it comes to Matt I no longer give him the benefit of the doubt. I take the harshest possible view of his posts. I guess I've seen enough from him that I've decided that he is looking to press something, anything, at pretty much every opportunity. Even his nit nit nit little debating on every little thing kind of plays into it.

So you are probably right - I may be painting the thread with too broad a brush. But I think the PO thing was (to be the very most generous I can in characterizing it) a bit close to the line of accusations that Matt seems to live on.

Joann

Old 04-17-2008, 11:21 AM
Administrator

Elm must've been one of Addies and Cashews long lost relatives afterall.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

This thread has to do with a disputed $150, right?

Old 04-17-2008, 02:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Craig W

Jeff,

I think this thread has something to do with challenging the STAT/Morales thread for the most replies!

Craig