NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 12-27-2014, 01:04 PM

Shaun, Congratulations on hunting down this pride of Bengal Tigers! Your last card looks dead-centered to me.

Would you please be so kind to share with us who hunger for information on what you know about this set?

A. How they were issued?

B. What was the distribution region for this rare regional?

C. What years they seemed to have been issued?

D. For the benefit of the uninformed, please relate to us the story of how the Bond Bread Company used the "common" portrait card, and why it is somewhat common today.

E. Any other savory tidbits that are not generally known?

Please come to the head of the class, Shaun. Your pupils are sitting at their computers eagerly awaiting with rapt attention for your responses.

---Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 12-27-2014 at 01:07 PM.
Old 12-27-2014, 02:39 PM
$teve O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoebox View Post
Shaun - Outstanding pick up on such a tough set!

Steve - Nice looking Giants! If I remember right the Mays and Koufax are short prints. Who are the last 4 you need?
Thanks guys.The last 4 I need are Dick Stuart,Wayne Causey,Galen Cisco and Bill Skowron.
I started putting it together about 6 months ago.
Old 12-27-2014, 03:19 PM
Shaun Fyffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
Shaun, Congratulations on hunting down this pride of Bengal Tigers! Your last card looks dead-centered to me.

Would you please be so kind to share with us who hunger for information on what you know about this set?

A. How they were issued?

B. What was the distribution region for this rare regional?

C. What years they seemed to have been issued?

D. For the benefit of the uninformed, please relate to us the story of how the Bond Bread Company used the "common" portrait card, and why it is somewhat common today.

E. Any other savory tidbits that are not generally known?

Please come to the head of the class, Shaun. Your pupils are sitting at their computers eagerly awaiting with rapt attention for your responses.

---Brian Powell
Brian, I'd be happy to give a little more info on the set. IMO, it's one of the most under-appreciated Post-War sets out there, and the overall difficulty level for completing the set is insanely high. I know of multiple individuals that have spent the better part of a decade attempting to complete the set without luck.

As I mentioned, even Spence needed 6 years to complete his first set (an that being with a larger bankroll than most of us).

There is still much to be known about the set. I did a bit of research with the help of Mike (71buc) and some other Net54 members last year. With my set nearing completion, I hope to finish my research this year.

A) As for how they were issued, there are two theories. The first is that they were issued in packages of bread. The second is that they were given to grocery stores to be distributed as promotional items, perhaps with the purchase of Bond Bread or affiliated products.

B) I believe that the distribution region extended beyond NYC as was originally thought. In my research, I found reference to the cards / Jackie's endorsement in multiple newspapers targeting the African-American community, including Baltimore and Pittsburgh. It should also be noted that I have communicated with various individuals who received the cards from their parents / grandparents after they passed, each of which believed their parents / grandparents to be the original owners. These individuals were from North Carolina, and New Orleans. As such, I have to believe that the distribution went well beyond NYC, and rather targeted African-American communities throughout the East Coast and Mideast.

C) For years, it was assumed that the cards were distributed only in 1947. However, Mike and I found evidence that that simply is not the case. Instead, we believe that they were issued in segments between 1947 and 1949 (or 1950). The Portrait was likely the test card and easily the most widely distributed. I believe the backs of the other cards are the best indicator we have regarding when each of the other cards were issued.

D) As mentioned previously, the portrait (facsimile sig) was more than likely the "litmus test" to determine how effective the cards would be in promoting the product. It is believed that they were given to bread deliverymen, and grocery store owners to be distributed to the general public to promote Bond Bread products to the African-American community. I believe that the card was distributed in October of 1947, likely just after the World Series. I believe it was the most widely distributed of the bunch, and that is why there are more available today.

E) I posted this thread about the set last year, and I will likely add to it at some point this year: http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=171169

2 other tidbits:

1) It wasn't until the 80s or 90s I believe that it was discovered that there were actually 13 cards in the set. (It was initially believed that there were between 10 and 12).

2) A few of the original photos used for the cards depict Robinson in a Montreal uniform. As such, it is a great example of photo-editing techniques in the late 40s.

All that being said, the sheer difficulty of the set makes it somewhat under-appreciated, as it takes a lot of time and patience to put the set together. It certainly takes more than a large bank account to complete the set, and I guess that is what makes it so alluring to me.

Thanks for asking again and giving me the opportunity to share what I know!

Shaun

Currently seeking Jackie Robinson cards
Old 12-27-2014, 03:19 PM
Shaun Fyffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb67 View Post
Shaun a big time congrats on the Bond Bread Jackie Robinson. You are in rare air with that pickup.

Steve nice pickups with Topps Giants. How long have you been putting this set together?

Here is my one and only December pickup. Tried to go an entire month without a purchase but saw this nicely centered beauty and could not resist.

Beautiful centering on that Mays!

Old 12-27-2014, 03:21 PM
Shaun Fyffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39special View Post
I'm happy to add these to my collection.
Steve, awesome Killebrew RC! I definitely plan on adding one of those to my collection in the next year or two.

Old 12-27-2014, 03:22 PM
Shaun Fyffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Great Frank Robinson card. Always been one of my favorite cards of his.

Wanted to close out the year strong. When I parted ways with my last Hank, I was kind of bummed as it took me a while to find one that had great centering, with the white borders of as even thickness as I could find. Then Xmas came a few days early!

Matt,

Great Hank RC... Love the centering on it. I always enjoying combing through your CF page. Always a ton of eye-candy!!

Old 12-27-2014, 09:32 PM
Matt

Thanks. Mad props on the set completion. Also thanks for a fascinating and thoroughly enlightening post. Must feel very accomplished with that set complete! I'd imagine you'll get years and years of enjoyment from looking at it. Will be tough to find a project as challenging.

Love that 52B Mays and also noted its great centering.
Old 12-28-2014, 01:42 AM
Mikeknapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyBrown View Post
Raw purchase - this one is huge for my collection, as it was the last tough card I needed for the 1947 Bond Bread Jackie Robinson set. Major props to Greg and Jason for helping me secure this one!

To give an idea as to how tough this set is... there are only 3 known complete sets, 2 of which were put together by Donald Spence (who sold one to Thomas Tull).
Kudos to you Shaun, being aware of your passion for this set and your admiration of Jackie Robinson I know how thrilled you must be accomplishing this quest.

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)
Old 12-29-2014, 11:49 AM

Default Shaun, a huge thanks for enlightening us on the 1947-50 BOND BREAD Jackie Robinson

Shaun,

First off, I sincerely apologize for not commenting until today. I "was called away from my computer desk" to do some serious shopping with my wife and son. Anyways, I was so looking forward to your responses. My friend, you sure gave us a wonderful dissertation on this magnificent set.

Your "B" is stunning. Targeting African-American communities nationwide truly makes sense, as this was a major step which represented and greatly interested African-Americans throughout the USA. Thus, wherever Bond's distribution regions coincided with Black communities, those cards could have been given out.

Just a comment to substantiate "A": I was a student at Ball State University when the gorgeous 1977 Wonder Bread Stars Wars set was released. As this was the bread used by the dorm cafeteria, I had access to the loaves lying out to makes sandwiches. The Star Wars free prize card was lying in the poly bag with the bread. I helped myself to many a card while preparing peanut butter and honey sandwiches for lunch. My point is that the oil from the Wonder Bread would absorb into the card from the time it was packaged at the bakery, until the moment the consumer got to claim his free prize. Now, my memory on this next particular point is not as sharp, but can you verify this Shaun-----I DON'T SEEM TO RECALL ANY OF OUR SUBJECT LATE 40S BOND BREAD REGIONAL JACKIE ROBINSON CARDS BEING STAINED BY BREAD OIL, AND THEREFORE SUBJUGATED WITH THE DREADED QUALIFYER OF "ST".

USING SHERLOCK HOLMES ANALYSIS AND DEDUCTION, IF YOU CAN CONFIRM THE ABSENCE OF STAINED CARDS, THEN I WOULD DEDUCE YOUR "A" EITHER / OR ANSWER POINTS TO YOUR SECOND CHOICE----THE CARDS WERE GIVEN TO BREAD DELIVERYMEN, GROCERY STORE OWNERS, AND THEN FINALLY LOCATED AT THE CHECK-OUT STATION, WHEREUPON A CUSTOMER WOULD BE PRESENTED WITH A BOND BREAD JACKIE ROBINSON CARD WHEN THEY PURCHASED BOND BREAD.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:15 PM
Mikeknapp

Quote:
Shaun,

First off, I sincerely apologize for not commenting until today. I "was called away from my computer desk" to do some serious shopping with my wife and son. Anyways, I was so looking forward to your responses. My friend, you sure gave us a wonderful dissertation on this magnificent set.

Your "B" is stunning. Targeting African-American communities nationwide truly makes sense, as this was a major step which represented and greatly interested African-Americans throughout the USA. Thus, wherever Bond's distribution regions coincided with Black communities, those cards could have been given out.

Just a comment to substantiate "A": I was a student at Ball State University when the gorgeous 1977 Wonder Bread Stars Wars set was released. As this was the bread used by the dorm cafeteria, I had access to the loaves lying out to makes sandwiches. The Star Wars free prize card was lying in the poly bag with the bread. I helped myself to many a card while preparing peanut butter and honey sandwiches for lunch. My point is that the oil from the Wonder Bread would absorb into the card from the time it was packaged at the bakery, until the moment the consumer got to claim his free prize. Now, my memory on this next particular point is not as sharp, but can you verify this Shaun-----I DON'T SEEM TO RECALL ANY OF OUR SUBJECT LATE 40S BOND BREAD REGIONAL JACKIE ROBINSON CARDS BEING STAINED BY BREAD OIL, AND THEREFORE SUBJUGATED WITH THE DREADED QUALIFYER OF "ST".

USING SHERLOCK HOLMES ANALYSIS AND DEDUCTION, IF YOU CAN CONFIRM THE ABSENCE OF STAINED CARDS, THEN I WOULD DEDUCE YOUR "A" EITHER / OR ANSWER POINTS TO YOUR SECOND CHOICE----THE CARDS WERE GIVEN TO BREAD DELIVERYMEN, GROCERY STORE OWNERS, AND THEN FINALLY LOCATED AT THE CHECK-OUT STATION, WHEREUPON A CUSTOMER WOULD BE PRESENTED WITH A BOND BREAD JACKIE ROBINSON CARD WHEN THEY PURCHASED BOND BREAD.
Great point about the stains. I recall that being an issue in the Wonder Bread football cards as well.

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)
Old 12-30-2014, 07:52 AM
Shaun Fyffe

Quote:
Shaun,

Brian,

Excellent points, and the idea of comparing stains of other bread issued cards is brilliant.

That being said, might be this be considered a oil stain from bread?:

Not as apparent, but this card also has some light discoloration in spotty areas:

This lot also has a few cards demonstrating stains (this lot included both the cards above). It should be noted that the Leland's description states that they were packaged with the bread, though provides no other details. http://www.lelands.com/auction/Aucti...Cards-%2813%29

Aside from those stained cards, the majority of Bond Bread cards that I have seen have lacked spot stains. I have seen a few that have demonstrated toning. I plan to compare stains from the Wonder Bread Star Wars and Football issues to see how the stains from these cards match up. I also plan to go back and research many of the Bond Bread issues I've seen to pay closer attention to any stains that might be there, but not so obvious.

Because all of the stained cards above come from the same collection, it is possible that the staining took place after the fact while in LaRocca's possession. There have been tales of bread delivery drivers giving out the most common portrait card to kids, and the majority of those stained in the lot were that same portrait card.

Typing this out has made me realize that Sal LaRocca might hold many of the answers that we are looking for... time to send a few emails I guess.

** Update **

I didn't want to add another post to this thread, as I don't want to disrupt the pickups thread (and I'll likely end up writing an article of some sort this year once my research has been completed), but after going over my research, it looks like the endorsement deal was announced October 11, 1947. I believe it was Jackie's first endorsement deal, as Branch Rickey had strictly prohibited any endorsement deal negotiations on Jackie's behalf, as he knew Jackie would have enough to deal with during his first year in the Bigs.

He would soon sign another endorsement deal with Old Gold Cigarettes (despite the fact that Robinson never smoked), and Borden's Evaporated Milk.

I believe the Bond Bread set (along with the advertising posters) represents the first endorsement deal by an African-American baseball player.

Last edited by CharleyBrown; 12-30-2014 at 08:03 PM.
Old 12-30-2014, 03:23 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Default '65 Topps

Like I told my wife after it was already done, I really didn't mean to or plan on it, it just happened. I have been thinking about building '65 Topps along with the '53 Bowman Color I am working on. I stumbled on to several nice '65s, including most of the high number short prints, some stars, minor stars, checklists, and league leader cards and the next thing I knew, I had right at half the set. Most of them are about like these. Some have more corner wear or the centering might not be quite as spot on, but really nice overall. One of the best buys I have gotten in a long time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 65s.jpg (76.6 KB, 108 views)
Old 12-30-2014, 07:07 PM

These aren't stained, but I just thought this thread needed some Wonder Bread Star Wars cards (these being from my childhood)...

Last edited by CW; 12-30-2014 at 07:07 PM.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:56 PM
Shaun Fyffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
Like I told my wife after it was already done, I really didn't mean to or plan on it, it just happened. I have been thinking about building '65 Topps along with the '53 Bowman Color I am working on. I stumbled on to several nice '65s, including most of the high number short prints, some stars, minor stars, checklists, and league leader cards and the next thing I knew, I had right at half the set. Most of them are about like these. Some have more corner wear or the centering might not be quite as spot on, but really nice overall. One of the best buys I have gotten in a long time.
Love that '65 set! Nice pick up!

Old 12-30-2014, 07:58 PM
Shaun Fyffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW View Post
These aren't stained, but I just thought this thread needed some Wonder Bread Star Wars cards (these being from my childhood)...

nice! I wasn't a huge Star Wars buff (not sure what happened, as my father was), but I always thought it was R2D2. Have I been wrong all this time, and it's really Artoo Detoo?

Old 12-30-2014, 08:08 PM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

Picked up from board member. This completes my Clemente basic Topps run. I need a 1965 Koufax to complete a basic Topps run for all Hall of Famers that had a Topps rookie card. I was hoping to complete before the end of the year. 26 hours left.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:18 PM
Bill Gregory

Brent, that's a really strong 5. Wow.

It's funny, the wood panel set, er the '62 set, was never one of my favorites. But Roberto makes even that card look good. Roberto never took a bad picture in his life, did he?

I'm going to start hitting his master set hard this year. I don't think I'll finish it in 2015, but I'd like to have it done by early 2016. I have to get the two I do have, the '71 and '73, graded, as I think they'll both grade out nicely. The '71 is a 7 at least, maybe a little higher. The '73 is an 8 +.

Right after the start of the year, I'm going to get a really nice '58. That's one of my all-time favorite cards of anybody. The '56 probably next after that. I can't wait to share them all with you guys.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:19 PM
Bill Gregory

Some really nice cards, guys. Russ, that '64 Frank Robinson is just gorgeous!

I am so ready to start adding to my collection again. Saving up sucks, lol.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 12-31-2014, 07:06 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Bill, I totally understand. After buying those '65s, a '63 Mantle, and a couple of '53 Bowman Color commons, I have entered the "saving up" phase again. It will be quite a while before I add anything of note. The buying is big fun, but I don't like the aftermath!
Old 12-31-2014, 08:10 AM
Russ

Thanks Bill.............and like Brett I had to pick up one of those Clemente's from a fellow board member too. It has not been received in the mail yet but I'll post it any way rather than waiting on the "January Pick Ups" thread.

My card buying budget is busted too. I may make a few small purchases next month, to scratch the itch, but nothing major.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1959 Roberto Clemente PSA 6.jpg (71.8 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by Hammerin'Hank; 12-31-2014 at 08:13 AM.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:29 AM
Al Richter

Default Star Wars

And here I thought it was R Two D Two.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:44 AM
$teve O.

These came in the mail today.A good way to end the year!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ny 001.jpg (72.7 KB, 86 views)
Old 12-31-2014, 10:05 AM
Russ

Nice additions Steve O ! Those are 2 very classic cards.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:16 AM
$teve O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerin'Hank View Post
Nice additions Steve O ! Those are 2 very classic cards.
Thanks Russ.I'm very happy to add them to my collection.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:56 PM

While it's true your Wonder Bread STAR WARS cards are not stained, I handled a lot of them at the time and many were stained. The stains weren't in the form of spots, but rather more of a large area of the backside had absorbed the oil. Someone mentioned the Wonder Bread Football, and I must have accumulated nearly a hundred of those at Ball State. Same problem---stains on the backside. Sure, bread is not oily per se, and most of the loaves would have been delivered, sold, and opened the same day, leaving little time for the baking oil to absorb. But I for one well recall the dozens and dozens of Wonder Breads cards I got in those years out of the bread bags, and they were stained.

Really Shaun, it would be nice if you were successful in contacting Mr. Larocca. He might have some savory recollections to share with you, and then with us. Also, if you were able to speak with a former owner of the cards who got one at the time of their release; naturally that would be sweet.

I am not adroit about doing such, and it is your announcement of your final card to complete your Bond Bread Jackie Robinson regional, but why not create a new thread including what has been spoken on this these last few days. I think it deserves its own thread. Maybe something else will come from this that will be beneficial in understanding this rare set. It's up to you. --Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 12-31-2014 at 01:56 PM.
Old 12-31-2014, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyBrown View Post
nice! I wasn't a huge Star Wars buff (not sure what happened, as my father was), but I always thought it was R2D2. Have I been wrong all this time, and it's really Artoo Detoo?
No, you were technically right all these years... it's R2-D2, but I think the company that made the Wonder Bread cards was simply phonetically spelling it out.
Old 12-31-2014, 05:12 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

Here is the subset I practically KILLED for as a kid. Have picked up these 9 over the last few weeks with the final one (Williams) due to arrive next week. Way back in 1978-79, it was these cards that got me excited about the all-time greats. I used to spend hours just looking at the stats on the back of Ruth, Cobb, Gehrig, Johnson, and Hornsby--of course, now I can't read them at all without my glasses!

Cobb_1976_TSN.jpg

Gehrig_1976_TSN.jpg

Ruth_1976_TSN.jpg

Hornsby_1976_TSN.jpg

Traynor_1976_TSN.jpg

Cochrane_1976_TSN.jpg

Grove_1976_TSN.jpg

Johnson_1976_TSN.jpg

Wagner_1976_TSN.jpg

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/