NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-26-2011, 03:18 PM
Glyn Parson

Default Paragon auctions

Ends tonight any guesses on what the Boston garter matty. Or the Sgc 92 Joe jax will end at. Unfortunately the auction is a year to early. Or I might be bidding on the Matty I love those Boston garters.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:52 PM
Tony N.

Default Paragon

I guess I'll be the first to take a stab at the ending prices of these two gems.

$80-85K on the Boston Garter Matty. I know for a fact there are two big name collectors going after this card. Who knows when another will come up for auction.

$50-55K for the SGC 92 Joe Jackson.

Tony
Old 02-26-2011, 04:09 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

The high reserves are a turn off for me. I will not bid under this format.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:27 AM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
Ends tonight any guesses on what the Boston garter matty. Or the Sgc 92 Joe jax will end at. Unfortunately the auction is a year to early. Or I might be bidding on the Matty I love those Boston garters.
Why do u say "a year too early"?
Old 02-27-2011, 11:08 AM
Glyn Parson

I am opening a new business and most of my capital is tied up that is why I said a year too early for me. I have no problem with reserves of any kind if I want an item I bid if I don't meet reserve I see it no different then being outbid. Plus a first time auction may not have as much exposure as an established auction making reserves more necessary, in my opinion.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:24 PM
Bob

I agree-wanted the ewing and mascot n172 but kept bidding and never reached the reserve- I wrote them that I am tired of wasting my time trying to guess a reserve. They should put a minmum bid high enough to satisfy the consignor-otherwise all they do is annoy potential bidders. I was willing to pay a fair price but will no longer bid in "guess the reseve auctions". The consignor should not put it up for auction without a high minumum bid so serious get bidders can get involved.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:20 AM
Glyn Parson

I've now seen people on the board complain if minimums were too high and people advocating for high minimums over reserves. I guess no matter what an auction company does they will have critics of their formula.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:49 AM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
I've now seen people on the board complain if minimums were too high and people advocating for high minimums over reserves. I guess no matter what an auction company does they will have critics of their formula.
Cute job with the word-smithing. The folks that are unhappy with high minimums are not unhappy with the fact that high minimums are used instead of reserves - they were just unhappy with how high the minimums were. Setting a minimum so high that there is only a 50/50 chance even 1 bid would be placed is more like a sale then an auction. Setting a strong minimum bid instead of a reserve would placate most folks, so long as the minimum was reasonable.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:15 AM
Bill Hedin

Default Boston garters

Hi Glyn,
I've been buying cards here in the greater Boston area for decades and found virtually every card type from the 1880's to present, but NEVER was offered any Boston Garters. Were they distributed here in my area? I'd appreciate any insight and if you want to post some here or on facebook, that would be awesome!
BTW, Glyn, I hope you had a great birthday with your child yesterday.
Thanks,
Bill Hedin
Old 03-02-2011, 08:43 AM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Cute job with the word-smithing. The folks that are unhappy with high minimums are not unhappy with the fact that high minimums are used instead of reserves - they were just unhappy with how high the minimums were. Setting a minimum so high that there is only a 50/50 chance even 1 bid would be placed is more like a sale then an auction. Setting a strong minimum bid instead of a reserve would placate most folks, so long as the minimum was reasonable.
Write what you will but it is obvious Paragon's formula worked very well for them and their consignors. I will certainly place them at the top of my list when considering where to consign my material.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:01 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by botn View Post
Write what you will but it is obvious Paragon's formula worked very well for them and their consignors. I will certainly place them at the top of my list when considering where to consign my material.
I never intended to say there was an issue with Paragon's formula; I apologize if that was conveyed. I was just responding to Glyn's suggestion that people were being unreasonable/impossible to please.

I'm all for the disappearance of the BP confusion that Paragon has adopted.

Last edited by Matt; 03-02-2011 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:29 PM
Glyn Parson

Default Matt

Your response sounds like wordsmithing they weren't complaining but they were complaining? From your response you feel that a consignor should be willing to let the market dictate what the card will bring? Why does a consignor have to risk a loss or selling a valued piece of ther collection for less than they want? If a company is willing to give some cool items a shot at what you perceive to be retail why shouldn't they? It seems Keith was still going to get his money as it was based on number of items you wanted per page and not a flat commission per item sold. I welcome the new approach and if I decide to sell some of the better items in my collection it is certainly an avenue I would consider. Why should I RISK the possibility of losing on an item if I dont have to? I may be misunderstanding your post but it sure seemed like that was what you were saying.

Last edited by glynparson; 03-02-2011 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:35 PM
Glyn Parson

I guess what I'm trying to say is the times they are a changing. And Keith I believe has found a new way to give a consignor the opportunity to still possibly sell his items while still collecting a fee. This is a strange and unpredictable market right now and I don't blame any consignor for wanting to protect hIs investment.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:48 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Hi Glyn!

I think I must have misunderstood Matt's initial post to you, as well. It would have been unreasonable of Matt to be critical of Paragon's auction formula when he himself normally uses very high minimum or high opening bids when he lists his stuff on ebay or grandslam. He must have been remarking on why bidders might be upset with Paragon's model.

Take care,
Greg
Old 03-02-2011, 05:54 PM
Barry Sloate

Sometimes the only way an auction house, especially one conducting its first sale, can get high end consignments is by offering collectors a reserve. Maybe if they didn't the consignment would go somewhere else, perhaps to a more established company with a proven track record. And starting lots low and letting them ride worked very well in 2006, but might not today. I don't blame Paragon for starting lots high. The reserves may be annoying to bidders but that's life. I would guess those who are complaining would not like to see their own consignments open at 20% of fair market value without a reserve. It's a sign of the times, that's all.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:00 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by botn View Post
Hi Glyn!

I think I must have misunderstood Matt's initial post to you, as well. It would have been unreasonable of Matt to be critical of Paragon's auction formula when he himself normally uses very high minimum or high opening bids when he lists his stuff on ebay or grandslam. He must have been remarking on why bidders might be upset with Paragon's model.

Take care,
Greg
Yikes! I believe every auction style item I've sold on GSB has been with a 0.99 start and no reserve. I do sell fixed price as well, but those aren't auctions...

As far as the comment, feel free to ignore it. I was explaining how reasonable bidders could both not want a reserve and also not want a too high starting bid, but it's not an important point. Your enthusiasm for Paragon and zeal in rushing to it's defense when it wasn't even being attacked is noted.

Last edited by Matt; 03-02-2011 at 06:10 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:34 PM
Peter Spaeth

If he can keep his fee structure as low as he says it is, I think he is going to attract a lot more consignments away from the higher (much) priced competition.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:03 PM
FredYoung

Default What is amazing to me----

---is all these new auction venues popping up the last couple of months! Many predicted the demise of many houses during these tough times but new ones are coming out of the woodwork!

I get a new EM every few days about outfits I never have heard of before!

Can anyone explain?
Old 03-02-2011, 09:35 PM
Glyn Parson

Default Yes Matt

I will defend a friend when I think they are being unfairly criticized. And I do consider Keith Vari a friend of mine. For the record I had 0 consignments in the auction and bid on 0 items.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:53 AM

Default Here ya go Bill

http://www1.coe.neu.edu/~dan/H813-1/go.html

http://www1.coe.neu.edu/~dan/H813-2/go.html

http://www1.coe.neu.edu/~dan/H813-2/go.html

These images were culled from various internet sites.

As you can tell even images are tough to find.

Roger
Old 04-01-2011, 04:14 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Out of curiosity, is Paragon somehow affiliated with SGC? I received my winning item from Paragon today (which was actually a PSA card), and it was in a package with an SGC return label. When I first saw it, I thought that SGC must have sent me someone else's submission by mistake. I had just sent in my submission to SGC yesterday, so there's was no way turnaround could be that quick.

Last edited by glchen; 04-01-2011 at 04:25 PM.