NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-03-2011, 12:04 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default I dunno

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
i didn't think darren's or dave's replies were that bad. is it now the case where if you're simply addressing or replying to someone else's post then you must have your full name out there?
I dunno, what do you think? If someone says you are an (pick any bad thing) and then someone else agrees. Would you want to know who is agreeing with them?

And if you say, well yeah, but those weren't that "bad", who is to say they aren't that bad...and make that decision in every thread? You know what I mean?
Old 04-03-2011, 12:10 PM
Robert A

"If someone says you are an (pick any bad thing)"

Leon, I don't think you can use an "an" here.

You can't assume the bad thing will begin with a vowel.

Rob

Last edited by caramelcard; 04-03-2011 at 12:10 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:42 PM
qu@n nguy3n

in this case dave/darren was saying stop using the rea analogy and being so stuck on steve getting 15%...worst thing that might've been said was lowballing, which was true.

Last edited by chaddurbin; 04-03-2011 at 01:23 PM. Reason: edited out potential argumentative statement...not worth it
Old 04-03-2011, 01:31 PM

It also sounds like the folks that are upset here are the unlucky ones, without any cards to show from the sale. If you want to buy some of these cards, pay attention to the posts, and throw your money on the table. Sounds pretty simple to me.

If these are sold in 100 card lots from a stack of 3000 and he gets 20 emails about each, that's 600 deals to try and work out, it ain't gonna happen. One just has to take the top two or three folks and give them a chance. Granted there is some money being left on the table, but the owner seems to be happy with the progress Steve is making and I seriously doubt anyone complaining here cares about how big the return is for the owner of the cards. Folks are just angry they have't been able to land some for themselves.

There have been many items on the BST I would have loved to have bought over the years had I seen in time or tossed more money in my offer, that's just the way it goes.

Been on the road for a while, so doing some catching up this weekend. Looks like a bunch of nice cards here,

Bob O'Brien
Old 04-03-2011, 02:13 PM
P.hil €lli$

I'm glad I was the only one who didn't understand Steve's rules from the beginning. Obviously now, everyone understands how he is selling this collection. My biggest complaint is around how it was handled from the beginning, in the first few posts.

His first post states: "Ask Questions"

One of his first offerings (the one I was interested in), stated: "Make An Offer"

Nowhere did it say "Make Your Best Offer" which so many people have come on here and told me that I was missing the boat because I didn't make my best offer right off the bat.

I was simply following Steve's input early on....."Ask Questions" and "Make An Offer".....I think those requests imply that you will/should hear back from the seller before the lot sells.

I love how many people will read part of the entire thread and then feel compelled to throw in their 2 cents (usually anonomous).
Old 04-03-2011, 02:20 PM
David McDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgellis View Post
I'm glad I was the only one who didn't understand Steve's rules from the beginning. Obviously now, everyone understands how he is selling this collection. My biggest complaint is around how it was handled from the beginning, in the first few posts.

His first post states: "Ask Questions"

One of his first offerings (the one I was interested in), stated: "Make An Offer"

Nowhere did it say "Make Your Best Offer" which so many people have come on here and told me that I was missing the boat because I didn't make my best offer right off the bat.

I was simply following Steve's input early on....."Ask Questions" and "Make An Offer".....I think those requests imply that you will/should hear back from the seller before the lot sells.

I love how many people will read part of the entire thread and then feel compelled to throw in their 2 cents (usually anonomous).
I read the whole thread. You're beating a dead horse. Let it go, man. My two cents.
Old 04-03-2011, 03:15 PM
Craig

I agree with you, David.

Phil you made a low ball offer and Steve went in a different direction. Your assumptions about the sale were wrong. Just let it go; life's too short
Old 04-03-2011, 03:36 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

"It also sounds like the folks that are upset here are the unlucky ones, without any cards to show from the sale."

Simply not true. If you read what was said by both Greg and I is that we were never even given a chance to bid on a lot that we may have even had interest in. In fact of all the lots Steve’s listed I’ve had 100% no interest in any of them except one, and that lot was up and gone in a matter of hours.

It was at that time in this thread that Steve started, in which Steve fly’s a big part of the sales pitch as proceeds needed by family for woman’s assisted living so she can remain in home for her final years. Having been there with grandparents and folks that’s a pretty big nut.

So I thought I would post a few (wasn't alone) points that would let Steve know that perhaps his model was leaving some cash behind from folks who aren’t glued to the BST 24hrs a day. These folks are also real money spenders as well not missing folks who are going to offer $20 more on a lot.

I then also went as far as to recommend or say is the BST really the best avenue for a collections of this size. That’s when all hell broke loose…how dare somebody offer an opinion on a chat board…LOL.

Once good thing that has come of the thread is that we were able to pull out of Steve that many of the lots I assume better material was sold offline never to be shown here. Even though it was alluded that all goods for sale would be coming here and to be patient. So perhaps I dont need to stay glued to the BST afterall.

In the end no big deal not losing sleep over it, as Greg said no shortage of cards and material out there leaves more money for REA and others.

But is it really so farfetched to think that if some lots aren’t even being shown via your selected venue to some folks who spend really strong coin on cards that perhaps some cash is being left behind?

In the end I don’t care if Steve becomes a millionaire over this or goes bankrupt, if it’s a business deal that’s on him not my responsibility.

Where I think many of us Phil included have put in concern on prices realized was the fact that we were all made aware/sold this sale and it’s proceeds supposedly has impact far beyond Steve’s personal wallet. It’s to help a woman who according to Steve without her these cards would be long gone.

So if anybody is guilty of anything it was actually taking the touching story that was sold to the very community that he's making his 15% from, and managing to care enough to point out to Steve perhaps missing cash for the deals ths incudes himself.

Cheers,

John

Last edited by wonkaticket; 04-03-2011 at 03:41 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:36 PM
Rich Klein

Default A comment about offers

Having a sideways relation to this thread but nothing to do with any of Steve's lots.

I have approximately 2,000 cards at this point on a site called CheckOutMyCards.Com (I have sent them over 2400 and have sold about 17 percent of what I posted --- almost all modern "crap" in about a one year period. And yes there is a charge to process the cards and also to keep the cards there. However, I have to do no shipping other than getting the cards to them or have to deal with them any more from this point forward.

There is a function on that site called make offer --- and I receive offers frequently but not every day. The other day, after opening day -- I received an offer for 1/2 my asking price for a Rookie Year Heritage Chrome of John Mayberry Jr. He played a role in the Phillies opening day come-from-behind victory.

If the offer was close to what I was asking, which was lo Beckett, I might have even said fine --- however, I felt the offer was a lowball offer and I actually raised my price in reaction to that offer. The point is, when you send a card to that site, the offer to sell is out there and available.

Sideways relation, no one truly knows going in what is wanted --- so if you make a good first offer, and come in with your high hard one, then you have a better shot than an original offer and then hope for a counter,.,,, This is what I'm referring to in my example. If that person had made an offer of 25-50 cents less than my offer, I probably would have said -- fine. But coming in at 1/2 price -- I don't want to get into games on bids.

Steve has done great with those cards, if I had a collection like that to sell, I'd give them to him in the future

Rich
Old 04-04-2011, 01:33 PM
Sean Brennan

Id just like to say that steve treated me great with my purchase and I hope to purchase more in the future.