NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 05-03-2011, 09:04 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

Default Rate your top 8 Mantle cards from the 50's

The way most true collectors look at card is a form of art. Some also see an investment oportunity (which is fine) but even then one cannot deny the pure art in the way card were designed in the old days, specifically the 50's.

Before high gloss, UV coating, gold leaf, holograms and many other flashy modern day techniques company relied on picking the right pose and truly gifter artist to give life to the photos in art form.

This being said I thought it might be interesting to see others top eight choices for Mantle cards of the fifties. I figure we can rate them with the following issues: Bowman 1951 - 1955 and Topps 1952, 1953 and 1956. I know there are other issues of him that are great cards but I fiugure these a re typically the more well know versions of the Mick. I wanted to leave 1957 and on out because this was getting into the true color photos not just art design.

Now the hard part. I would like to rate only the image of Mantle chosen for the card. So somehow you have to try and put away value, set design, back design and other factors. Just the pose chosen by Topps or Bowman and the way his image comes across of the card.

Here goes my humble (and debatable) opinion

1. 1952 Bowman - I love the reflective pose looking off in the distance. Something way on his mind that day. Maybe the recent passing of his father or the shoes he is supposed to be filling (DiMaggio)

2. 1953 Bowman - Just pretty with a great pose of that super swing.

3. 1952 Topps - Another great pose with a hint of what the future might hold

4. 1951 Bowman - Hard not to think about his rookie but a great picture

5. 1953 Topps - I 'm not typically a fan of large head shots but the artist was able to capture him very well and accuratly.

6. 1955 Bowman - I really am not a fan of this set but Again a great pose of MAntle with bat in hand

7. 1954 Bowman - A good picture but comes accross more two dimentianally IMO.

8. 1956 Topps - I know he was MVP and Triple Crown winner thais year but unlike other examples I son't think the large head shot captures Mantle ( but the small jumping shot is pretty cool)

This list is not the be all end all by any means but just thought it might be interesting to see how others look at these cards.

Thanks for reading,

Drew
Old 05-03-2011, 09:53 PM
Travis W.

you know, when I first read the header on this out on the forum page I was thinking you wanted people to rate the top 8 Mantle's that they owned. Seeing as how you were the OP, I assumed that you actually had 8 Mantle cards to rate, and seeing as how I only have one I was ready to come kick ur @$$

After reading the thread though, I rather like the idea, so here's my list:

I guess we're kinda opposites here because I actually kinda like the big head shot ones...dunno why I just think they look really good on the cards...

1) 1953 Topps - I just think this is an awesome card. This is one that I'd want for my "single card collection" (assuming I don't end up doing the set at some point...which I may, lol). Something about the pose just says "yeah...I'm a badass"

2) 1951 Bowman - He looks like he's cocked and ready to smack a ball about 900 feet. He's just standing there with a look on his face like he's saying to the pitcher "I DARE you to throw me a fastball..."

3) 1954 Bowman - I like this one because I kind of have a vivid imagination and it makes me laugh. The look on his face is like someone just told him a really lame joke and he's kinda giving a courtesy laugh even though he didn't find it funny in the slightest...

4) 1956 Topps - I like the big grin...he just looks like someone who plays baseball for a living and loves every minute of it. And the action shot in the background is pretty cool too...somebody's gettin robbed by the Mick there...

5) 1952 Topps - I'm kinda neutral on this one...doesn't strike me as a really great picture, but no complaints either.

8) 1952 Bowman - Sorry, I don't mean to disagree with ya on this one, but to me he doesn't look like he's deep in thought he looks like he's bored out of his skull. Maybe the artist just didn't quite catch the look quite right...

8) 1953 Bowman - there's something about the way he's got his head cocked and the expression on his face that makes me think that he's kinda daydreaming about some pretty little brunette with a nice pink dress and pigtails...He just kinda has that "ahhhh" look on his face, lol.

8) 1955 Bowman - The pose and look on his face says to me "oh hell yeah, that's on the green!" I dunno, maybe its just me...but he looks like he's admiring his tee shot, haha.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:25 PM
David M.

Mine are quite different from the original poster:

1956 Topps (Best set of the 50's IMO)
1957 Topps
1958 AS (Hope that's not cheating but I always liked those backgrounds)
1952 Topps
1953 Bowman
1953 Topps
1952 Bowman
1951 Bowman
Old 05-04-2011, 05:35 AM
Jeff

Default The Mick

My list will always start with the 1959 Bazooka. From an aethestic point of view IMO far and away his most pleasing card. I am a fan of the '64 Stand Up as well.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."

Last edited by HRBAKER; 05-04-2011 at 05:45 AM.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:49 AM
Greg

My favorite 3 in order:

1) His true rookie - the 1951 Bowman
2) the 1952 Topps
3) the 1958 Mantle / Aaron card # 418
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1958mantle418.jpg (35.2 KB, 216 views)

Last edited by buckydent; 05-04-2011 at 06:54 AM. Reason: typo on yr - last card
Old 05-05-2011, 03:11 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

Mantle schmantle.... but here goes

1959 Esslinger Beer Homerun Derby
1951 Bowman
1953 Stahl Meyer
1952 TipTop Bread
1952 Topps
1953 Briggs
1954 Stahl Meyer
1951 Wheaties

every one of these cards is overrated, Id rather have a card of a better player ie... Mays or Aaron

Last edited by fkw; 05-05-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:56 PM
FredYoung

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkw View Post
Mantle schmantle.... but here goes

1959 Esslinger Beer Homerun Derby
1951 Bowman
1953 Stahl Meyer
1952 TipTop Bread
1952 Topps
1953 Briggs
1954 Stahl Meyer
1951 Wheaties

every one of these cards is overrated, Id rather have a card of a better player ie... Mays or Aaron

LOL Frank--I would expect nothing less from you!
Old 05-05-2011, 07:43 PM
Patrick N.

Default Topps

1953 Topps
1955 Bowman
1956 Topps
1960 Topps
1954 Topps Just kidding, there is no such thing!

and then a bunch of others
Old 05-07-2011, 01:19 AM
Larry

I'm sorry, Almostdone. I've resisted for days adding to this thread because I just can't stay within its confines, but can resist no more. Best looking Mantle card: '53-'55 Dormand Bat on shoulder pose. Just a gorgeous image of a very young Mick under powder blue skies at old Yankee Stadium, ready to conquer all! Card that best captures his youthful rookie image: '51-'53 era Exhibit (date of card based on "Made in USA" legend at lower right bottom of card; pic actually taken during his '51 rookie season).

And concerning any contention that Mantle was overrated (Hi, Frank!), if anyone else has read Bill James books at length, it's interesting to note that Mantle, in the course of his career, created more than 200% of the runs created by the average player during the time his career spanned, even including his down years in the mid to late '60's, when he was playing with a bad shoulder and two bad knees. He was one of just seven, I believe, to achieve that level, with Williams No. 1 and Ruth No. 2. Others include Cobb, Gehrig, Hornsby and Jackson. Ruth created more runs than Williams, but the league average was also higher during the era in which he played. Aaron and Mays, as great as they were, were each in the 180% range. As James once noted, Mays' stats superficially appeared to approximately match Mantle's when they were both in their primes, but Willie walked far less, and consequently was making 70 or so more outs per year than Mantle. Of course, Willie's total production exceeded the Mick's, based on his greater longevity. James consequently has Willie ranked as the 3rd best player of all time, with Mantle No.6. Mick's legend has an extremely sound factual foundation.

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 05-07-2011 at 01:37 AM. Reason: Spelling--haven't won a spelling bee since 3rd grade
Old 05-07-2011, 10:37 AM

My favorite Mantles from the 50's--

1956 Topps- when I was a kid collecting this was my dream card and at $35 too much money.

1953 Bowman color
1953 Bowman color: Mantle/Berra/Bauer
1953 Topps
1955 Bowman
1957 Topps
1959 Topps

Thats about it
Old 05-07-2011, 02:22 PM
Steve

Uh, sorry to be the wet blanket, but the photo images were all posed situations - Mantle was probably thinking, "I wish this shit was over so I can get to the party before Billy and Hank suck up all the booze."
Old 05-07-2011, 08:28 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls7plus View Post
I'm sorry, Almostdone. I've resisted for days adding to this thread because I just can't stay within its confines, but can resist no more. Best looking Mantle card: '53-'55 Dormand Bat on shoulder pose. Just a gorgeous image of a very young Mick under powder blue skies at old Yankee Stadium, ready to conquer all! Card that best captures his youthful rookie image: '51-'53 era Exhibit (date of card based on "Made in USA" legend at lower right bottom of card; pic actually taken during his '51 rookie season).

And concerning any contention that Mantle was overrated (Hi, Frank!), if anyone else has read Bill James books at length, it's interesting to note that Mantle, in the course of his career, created more than 200% of the runs created by the average player during the time his career spanned, even including his down years in the mid to late '60's, when he was playing with a bad shoulder and two bad knees. He was one of just seven, I believe, to achieve that level, with Williams No. 1 and Ruth No. 2. Others include Cobb, Gehrig, Hornsby and Jackson. Ruth created more runs than Williams, but the league average was also higher during the era in which he played. Aaron and Mays, as great as they were, were each in the 180% range. As James once noted, Mays' stats superficially appeared to approximately match Mantle's when they were both in their primes, but Willie walked far less, and consequently was making 70 or so more outs per year than Mantle. Of course, Willie's total production exceeded the Mick's, based on his greater longevity. James consequently has Willie ranked as the 3rd best player of all time, with Mantle No.6. Mick's legend has an extremely sound factual foundation.

Larry
Larry,
I understand the constraints of the question. I was just thinking that or the most part most collectors (casual as well as more involved) know all of the pictures and poses form the ones I mentioned.
I love to look up some of the smaller (but no less nice) issues of Mantle cards, or anyone elses for that matter. Thanks for the imput.

Drew
Old 05-10-2011, 03:08 PM
Dan Studebaker

Thank you Frank, a voice of reason.

However I would pick the 1955 Stahl Meyer over the 1954 Stahl Meyer because of the 2 pictures of him.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:21 AM

1956 I think is the best looking set ever made, the 1955 set is close 2nd.

The artwork on some of these cards were just so innovative for the time.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:53 PM
J@RR0D

1. 1954 Bowman
2. 1953 Topps
3. 1956 Topps
4. 1951 Bowman
5. 1952 Topps
6. 1953 Bowman
7. 1952 Bowman
8. 1955 Bowman

I've owned the Top 3 and have #4 on the way ('51 Bowman) and I still think '54 Bowman best captures the "All-American-ness" that just seemed to radiate around Mantle.