NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 05-20-2011, 09:25 AM
Patrick N.

Default Upgrading is satisfying, don't you think?

There is something very satisfying about buying a mid-grade set and slowly upgrading it card by card, weeding out soft cornered/creased/oc cards with a nicer version and replacing its inferior counterpart. Kinda like weeding your back yard, anyone else appreciate this aspect of card collecting, if so which set?

Last edited by mintacular; 05-20-2011 at 09:28 AM.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:50 AM
Rob Miller

I agree. I have been doing that with my 1933 and 1934 Goudey sets as well as my 1948 Bowman set. It is nice when sometimes the monetary difference is only a few bucks and you feel you have really improved your overall set.

Last edited by Robextend; 05-20-2011 at 09:51 AM.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:15 PM
Steve

Yes, took about ten years assembling a '52 Bowman set in just that way. It was the set I most fondly recalled from childhood, so a labor of love. Like many Bowman sets, registration of the image was a very common problem. Don't know how many times I found a near mint card at a show, thinking it would really upgrade my collection, only to get it home and compare it to my vg/ex filler to find that it was slightly out of register and the image not as sharp as the other card - frustrating, but you could go on trying to perfect a set that way into eternity - or as long as you last.
Old 05-21-2011, 03:19 AM
John Michael

And just what do you do with all those weeded out, soft corner cards?
Yes, it is a serious question.

Last edited by theseeker; 05-21-2011 at 03:19 AM.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:25 AM
Al Richter

Default Upgrading

I have a Topps set run that is ungraded and in binders. When adding variations/errors to my sets, or just browsing through one, I will sometimes spot a particular card that I decide should be upgraded. I then make the mistake of looking more closely at cards around it and it becomes obsessive, particularly in the pre 1971 sets which were mostly assembled via packs or few cards at a time. But once in awhile I go all in in upgrading one of them in general. I find the process both satisfying and maddening at the same time
Old 05-21-2011, 11:47 AM
tony

Default love it

The trouble is as I upgrade I keep the lower grade cards then the few become 1/4 set then 1/2 set then I have another full set.Then I keep upgrading set 1 moving the lesser quality cards down to set 2.Them the few of upgraded upgraded(!!) cards become a 1/4 set then 1/2 set then I have 3 sets etc etc. That is the reason why I have 6 full sets and 3 "on the go" sets of Davy Crockett Orange backs. Hi my name is Tony and I am a CARDOHOLIC
Old 05-23-2011, 06:54 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I do just the opposite: I am downgrading my postwar cards to low-cost cards I can put into a binder and enjoy without all the slabs and money worries. upgrade or down, it is all about what you find to be the most enjoyable way to collect, after all is said and done.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 05-23-2011, 07:21 AM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default upgrade

I think upgrading is a waste of money and time, if you buy a set or assemble a set in an eye pleasing shape..that should be good enough, use your card money on stuff you dont have yet.
Ive actually downgrade many of my cards... if I have a VG set of 1962T...and I find a NM high value star card..I will look to sell it or trade a 2 for 1 if possible
Old 06-12-2011, 05:08 PM
Justin Cur.ze

Even the small number of replies suggests that it's completely a matter of taste. I personally love upgrading. I ran after a 1948 Leaf set and completed it in just about 8-9 months, but as you can imagine, they're all not the same grade. Right now they're kind of all over the map, but for me, I got to 'pat myself on the back' along the way by having a complete set. Now I can go back and make the set more consistent.

Yup, it's more expensive that way, but then again, what's the point of just, say, going out and buying the entire Leaf set thru an REA auction? Might as well buy some municipal bonds!
Old 06-12-2011, 07:42 PM
Steve

You're absolutely right there: I can't imagine why any hobbyist, or anyone other than a dealer selling broken sets or a speculator, would want to buy a complete set. It goes against the basic concept of collecting.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:08 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Upgrading player collection

Interestingly I collect Roberto Clemente cards and memorabilia - I LOVE upgrading unusual or rare cards. Regular issues are far too plentiful for me to care. Even more exciting is uncovering variations or issues I never knew existed!
Old 06-18-2011, 08:29 PM
Richard A.

While I agree with the basic principle of getting what you can to complete a set and then upgrading it later, I have never ever done it that way. All of my years collecting -- both as a kid and later as an adult -- I have never bought a single card to upgrade one I already own.

Regards,

Richard.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
I have a Topps set run that is ungraded and in binders. When adding variations/errors to my sets, or just browsing through one, I will sometimes spot a particular card that I decide should be upgraded. I then make the mistake of looking more closely at cards around it and it becomes obsessive, particularly in the pre 1971 sets which were mostly assembled via packs or few cards at a time. But once in awhile I go all in in upgrading one of them in general. I find the process both satisfying and maddening at the same time
Boy Al I sure can relate...I sometimes upgrade my 1970-79 Topps sets that way...I think I'm okay with a card...then I notice something I didn't like...my pet peeve is tilted cards....OC top to bottom, left to right don't bother me too much unless its like 90/10....

Ricky
Old 06-21-2011, 02:04 AM
Steve

Interesting, the two widely varying sides to this, psychologically speaking. I wonder if it's just fussy perfectionists versus no-frills fundamentalists, or something more complex.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:24 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

There is a middle road, so to speak, which is consistency. I don't really care whether the cards are ex or mint, as long as they are visually appealing and consistent throughout my holdings. I will frequently get rid of cards that are below or above the average for the issue I am collecting in order to arrive at a consistent visual presentation for the set.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 06-22-2011, 07:28 AM
Doug C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
There is a middle road, so to speak, which is consistency. I don't really care whether the cards are ex or mint, as long as they are visually appealing and consistent throughout my holdings. I will frequently get rid of cards that are below or above the average for the issue I am collecting in order to arrive at a consistent visual presentation for the set.
I think that's an great point. I've seen plenty of examples of VG cards with excellent overall eye appeal for a fraction of the price of the same cards in EX condition that don't have the same overall high end appearance. If I can get a lower grade, visually appealing card and save some money in the process, then that's the route I'm going.

Last edited by Doug; 06-22-2011 at 07:32 AM.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:39 PM
Scott

When high-end collectors upgrade their cards, those cards are upgrades for middle-grade collectors, whose cards then turn into upgrades for us low-end collectors!

Congrats!
Old 06-23-2011, 04:22 AM
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott T View Post
When high-end collectors upgrade their cards, those cards are upgrades for middle-grade collectors, whose cards then turn into upgrades for us low-end collectors!

Congrats!
Trickle-down card collecting, huh?
Old 06-23-2011, 09:55 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Everything comes down to preference and financial ability. Those collectors that have fallen in love with a set or two and have decided to make those sets their specialty, are more likely to upgrade. While on the other hand, people that are more interested in "say" a complete Topps run(as example, basically compiling as opposed to perfection) are more likely to downgrade, and get the "2 for 1" deal as someone mentioned earlier. Personally, I'm a compiler and am not really that condition sensitive. I love the beaters. Eye appeal is somewhat important, BUT it's not that often I come across a card I don't find appealing. My father on the other hand is one of the condition/upgrade guys. His '54 Bowman football set is rather nice(5th current finest psa), and I've watched him over the years make many upgrades, and sometimes downgrade for a better looking card or in trades for multiple cards(that while downgrading the main card also upgraded a handful of others as part of the trade), only to upgrade again. It seems like fun, but also alot of work. I've often considered picking a specialty set, but I'm too indecisive. Maybe I have ADD or something..

Last edited by novakjr; 06-23-2011 at 09:58 AM.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:33 AM
Scott Mt. Joy

I am a set & player collector, my upgrading really depends on the set-

On a few tough sets like 1926 and 1933 Exhibts I am just happy to get a card in any grade, I like to upgrade but only if the price is right or my first card is really bad. Now I will pay up for a mid grade if its a card I need.

On other more common sets like 1934-37 Exhibits, I am trying to get them all in the VG range, in these cases many times I will sell any high grades ones I get and downgrade. I also make a point of upgrading any P-G cards.

On a newer set like 1947-66 Exhibits, I am working to get the set in EX-MT, I have sold off lots of cards in the NM+ range and upgrade my lower conditions but I watch the cost a lot. I do not see much value in upgrading a card from a PSA 5 to a 6 but I would pay up to go from a PSA 3 to a 6.

On my Clemente cards, I really like to get a nice solid example but any top graded cards I get I would rather sell/trade to the top two Clemente collectors for other Clemente cards I need. I get so much more satisifaction at just getting a card I need or discovering a new card vs upgrading.

I do not have a set that I am trying to get in top condition (nothing above ex-mt other than Clementes), It is just not my cup of tea, I would rather save that money for other cards I want.