NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 06-11-2011, 06:12 PM
Clint

Default Lots of Bryce Harper auto cards selling for $500 plus on ebay

Was just browsing on ebay couldn't believe the prices. Nice to see the 80s are alive and well...maybe this guy will turn out to be a great player but I still remember Gregg Jefferies, Van Poppel, Sam Horn, etc. At least in the 80s they were only 5, 10, 20 bucks. Very hard to believe these Harper cards will hold their value whatever happens with his career. I'll take that kinda cash and put it toward a nice Ernie Banks 1954 topps any day
Old 06-11-2011, 06:32 PM
$teve O.

I agree.Look what happened to the price of the Strasburg cards.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:39 PM
Jeff

The latest shiny card lottery in full swing.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 06-13-2011, 07:49 AM
Keith

Brien Taylor auto RCs, Josh Hamilton auto RCs, Mark Prior auto RCs, Rick Ankiel auto RCs, Steven Strasburg RCs, Bryan Harper RCs... the list of sterling investments rolls on and on.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:23 AM
T0dd M@rcum

Yes, but when stuff like this stops working, the hobby stops working.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:38 AM
J@RR0D

I think this one is a BIG "IF". The kid is still in Single A ball! Heck, a guy on our local minor league Single A team (also named Bryce) is outhitting Harper right now, and they're in the same league. But I agree, we need these prospects to keep people buying new packs. A Pujols card from his 10th year won't have them emptying the displays at Target. I've bought a fair number of the new Bowman packs this year as well.

However, I bought a Bryce Harper signed ball when I first heard about him last year. And I think it only cost me $30. Now would be a good time to flip it. Harper's team is playing our local team soon, so I guess I should take a sharpie and some cards to the ballpark!
Old 06-13-2011, 08:40 AM
J@RR0D

Also, I'm hanging onto my signed Strasburg RC. It was one of 299 that Topps gave away as part of their Million Card promotion last year. I bought it a few months after Strasburg got hurt and his value was down.

Wasted money? Maybe. Time will tell.

Last edited by scmavl; 06-13-2011 at 08:40 AM.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:26 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
Disagree-that's the investment/lottery side, not hobby.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:07 PM
John Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by toppcat View Post
Disagree-that's the investment/lottery side, not hobby.

Yes, but think of this--who is talking about the new cards? The release dates, their designs, ect. I'm sure we all remember a time when the new season's card designs were anticipated and talked about by a large portion of the hobby base. This held true into the early part of the "shiny" card era. No interest at all anymore. These boards are a testament to this fact.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:56 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

The clowns that buy cases of this shiny crap and flipping singles on eBay at the right time when the name is hyped.... are not card collectors, they are so called "prospectors" and once burnt out and out of $$$ leave the hobby in droves..... as more enter. They are only in it trying to make a quick $$ off the latest hyped player. Theyre hoping for a big pull game is more like the lottery than card collecting.

A player like Harper is perfect for them.... but the fools buying (right NOW) are the real losers, Harper could go on and hit 30-40 HRs a years for next 18 years and the value is ALWAYS destine to go down. Always has and always will. The hype will die slowly on all these players, spike for a few weeks when they are voted into the Hall of Fame, then dive again right after.....
Old 06-15-2011, 08:36 AM
Jim

I have to agree, too much downside on these cards. Once the hype wears off the one holding the card loses.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:05 PM

Nice post. And nice answers about players I have also thought about. Here in NYC I was a nice predicter of Jefferies failing. But I also tanked on Gooden.The fact that the Mets put him in their HOF along with Strawberry is why this 40 year Met fan realizes what a disgrace this organization is. Can not put those 2 bums alongside of Seaver, Harrelson, and Staub. Anyway-back to cards. Yup, what happens to Stassburg?????
Old 06-18-2011, 04:50 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
Laughing.

The actual hobby has virtually nothing to do with the latest "Mark Fidrych" card.

The want-to-be lottery millionaires who think they can get rich off this stuff are helping the card / grading company bottom line, but that's not "the hobby".

Doug