NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 04-26-2014, 12:56 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Default 1966 Topps High # Print Variations

Without getting into the definition of a "variation" I noticed the popular #591 can be found with and without a red line in the border next to rookie stars on the front. Also, #558 can be found with and without a white area on the back that didn't cover with ink to the left of George Scott's name. Looks like a piece of confetti.

Last edited by 4reals; 04-26-2014 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-26-2014, 03:06 PM
David Pierson
Banned

Interesting....that 591 Jackson is a tuff card.....if there is a recognized variation, well, that's something! Good eye. Like to hear Al weigh in?
Old 04-26-2014, 03:25 PM
Al Richter

Default Variants

I have come to believe if one had the inclination to search endlessly one might eventually find a print difference in every card.

There is a discussion of print lines or errant lines in the 1970s thread on here. I have examples of them in quite a few of my sets. Missing ink or too much ink are other defects that occur quite a bit, some are pretty dramatic.

I have been debating whether to keep accumulating recurring print differences that do not seem intentional, or maybe limit acquisitions to those that I think might gain hobby recognition at some point . But the 61 Fairly shows that to be a hap hazard guessing game at best.

Great detective work, Joe
Old 04-26-2014, 09:23 PM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default 1966 Topps #591

Another odd variation -
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 66T 591.jpg (69.1 KB, 162 views)
Old 04-26-2014, 10:55 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Nice!
Old 04-26-2014, 11:27 PM
Steve Birmingham

I think the 591s shown are from the same place on the sheet. One shows the line because of the centering and the other one is properly centered so it doesn't show.

The clues are the frame break above the s of Jackson and the line from a plate scratch on shirleys shoulder.

The recurring flaws are interesting, but like Alr said if you look closely enough there are multiple versions of nearly every card.

I collect them, but hardly ever make much effort at finding a particular one. I just keep the different ones when I by a batch of cards.

There's a load of them that should be recognized, as they're obvious differences in production. But there are also some that are recognized that are more in the line of recurring defects.

The different cardboard stock - should be recognized.
Stuff like the 61 Fairly - probably not.

Steve B
Old 04-27-2014, 01:53 PM
Bill par.sons

As a collector or this year I would have to say that depending on the print sheet there can be variations. I have always felt that the checklist variations are the result of an A sheet v a B sheet. And that when it comes to the Traded v No-Trade lines on Uecker, Johnson, Groat, that only 1 sheet was not updated while the other was and subsequent use of the print sheets were also updated creating a 1 out of 4 situation for the variations.
Now in the 63 3rd and 4th series someone within the past few months highlighted about 11 variations based on the picture centering. I think this as well is a A sheet v B sheet difference that was adjusted in a 2nd print run.
Also same with card #139 in 62. How else can you explain 3 different cards/poses for one number.
So where does all this go. If your a collector of the ultimate set then I guess you want all of these. But print lines and lack of print color isn't a legitimate one in my book.

Again comments welcome BillP
Old 04-27-2014, 04:46 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post
As a collector or this year I would have to say that depending on the print sheet there can be variations. I have always felt that the checklist variations are the result of an A sheet v a B sheet. And that when it comes to the Traded v No-Trade lines on Uecker, Johnson, Groat, that only 1 sheet was not updated while the other was and subsequent use of the print sheets were also updated creating a 1 out of 4 situation for the variations.
Now in the 63 3rd and 4th series someone within the past few months highlighted about 11 variations based on the picture centering. I think this as well is a A sheet v B sheet difference that was adjusted in a 2nd print run.
Also same with card #139 in 62. How else can you explain 3 different cards/poses for one number.
So where does all this go. If your a collector of the ultimate set then I guess you want all of these. But print lines and lack of print color isn't a legitimate one in my book.

Again comments welcome BillP
Agreed. For me, I consider variations to be the result of deliberate changes to the piece being printed, such as the photo cropping differences in the 1963 cards (and 1962 green tints) you mentioned.

However, there does exist a gray area, too. For instance, these 1960 Ernie Banks cards:
60banksblue3.jpg
60banksblue4.jpg

I spelled out the number of differences in these cards in a thread way back (most dealing with the colored lines emanating from the bottom left, green corner). In the two cards above, one has (I presume) handwritten printer's notes visible in blue at the bottom, while the other does not. It's important to note that enough white space exists in the top card that these notations would/should be visible if they were present on all versions of the card. But they are not there. So, to me, this represents a legitimate, although somewhat sketchy, variation. Are printer's notes that appear on only a fraction of the cards a true variation? Tough call. I guess the bottom line is, if something is significant enough, then you want to add it to your 'master' set checklist. That's how I feel about this particular Banks.

(Forgive my momentary grumpiness, but this is usually the time when some idiot chimes in to say, "There is no official definition. A 'variation' is whatever you want it to be. You can collect whatever cards you want to." Yes, we know. We get it. Duh!!)

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:43 PM
Al Richter

Default 60 Banks

I have always been surprised the hobby has not made more of the Banks variants. He is a superstar and the differences are recurring and not rare

I do agree though with Darren's idiot

The blue square in the lower left upper right card is also recurring. A red square , I think in the upper left corner exists on the 60 Kaline card. I have a copy if anyone wants to see it

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 04-27-2014 at 05:48 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:05 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

For those interested, here are links to the 1960 Banks and Kaline variation threads I started a while back:
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=177877
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=177915

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.