NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-26-2016, 06:43 PM
Kyle May

Default 1932 Sanella Babe Ruth - Wisdom Wanted

I always come on this board, especially for insight on cards I'm less educated about.

The most recent card is the 1932 Sanella Babe Ruth.

I read some articles on it, including its origin and historical importance. It seems to be the cheapest Ruth card, and a must have for any collector with a lower end budget.

I do have a couple questions.

How is this card viewed in the hobby? Is it better to buy the full set in the book, or the card by itself? What is the value of it, and can it be had cheaper at a card show than on eBay ($90-120 based on current listings and recent sales)?

Thanks in advance, y'all!

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame

Last edited by KMayUSA6060; 09-26-2016 at 07:03 PM.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:25 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I would suggest if you see that card at a show it is likely to be grossly marked up. Will have some dopey sticker on it with two prices, and one will be very high and unrealistic and the number below that will just be too high. Avoid shows. Be careful with buy it nows. I would wait for it to come to an auction house and figure out where your comfort level is before starting bidding. It is a nice card but obviously not considered a Ruth rarity. Sign up for the Collectable app and track it to see when it appears. App is free.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:51 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

I would not consider it a must have and honestly am not a big fan as the likeness is not that recognizable to the layman.

I would prefer a less common period card with a good likeness.

As for the card show angle, you would be very unlikely to find a lower price than an ebay auction. The more likely situation would be a highly overpriced example looking for a rookie to unknowingly pay more for a ruth example. An ebay auction is your best bet.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:52 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

It's on thin stock and is very easy to find in high grade, but is a good looking card. It is usually bought and sold as a single. Foreign baseball cards are usually discounted, but I think the German text on back makes it interesting. If someone wants an affordable Ruth from his playing days, it's a nice buy.

Due to the plenitude in high grade, some have wondered if there are a bunch of modern reprints. However, I examined a high grade example and it was definitely period.

Last edited by drcy; 09-26-2016 at 08:58 PM.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:00 PM
pete ullman

I'm not a big fan...I used to have the complete set...they are kinda cool to look at...but I dont like the paperlike stock...or the style/colors/likeness. I'd rather have the shonen...which I do have.

In fact I feel these are more stamp like than card like.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:00 PM
Scott Russell

If you want a low price card that is easier to recognize as the Babe I would recommend his 1932 Bulgaria Sport. Nice clear black and white photo of him with Max Schmelling.

Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 09-26-2016 at 09:01 PM.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:35 PM
Sean McGinty

The 1929 Shonen Club Ruth is another foreign card of him that is affordable (generally seems to sell for a bit more than the Sanella but not too much). Its basically a postcard with a pretty good action shot of him, and Japanese text on the side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 29-shonen-club-pc.jpg (38.1 KB, 558 views)
Old 09-26-2016, 10:45 PM
mark sanders

Default Inexpenisive Ruth Cards

British American Tobacco & affiliates produced a very nice card between 1929 & 1935.
Same image as the Japanese postcard, but the back is printed in English and ex to ex-mt examples are under $250 on ebay!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160901_0001.jpg (53.8 KB, 540 views)
BAT ON: Old Mill, SC 350/25
BAT OFF: Cycle, Lenox, Piedmont 460/42, Uzit
& Piedmont 350
Old 09-27-2016, 06:10 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

the sanella is a very nice card, its over sized, so its bigger than a normal card. Very cool card and comes with 4 slightly different backs. There are other cards with a better picture of ruth at the same price point. Ebay would be your best bet as far as price. i prefer a graded version instead of the whole book / set. Good luck
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 09-27-2016, 06:44 AM
Kyle May

Thank you all for the responses and suggestions. I didn't realize it was a paper stock. I don't like thin and flimsy.

I appreciate the other suggestions. Obviously I'm on a budget, hence the interest in the Sanella.

I will probably pass on the Sanella, and go for a different, more highly thought of affordable Ruth at some point.

A little side note... eBay is offering me 10% eBay bucks on an item of $50 or more. That's what sparked my interest in the Sanella Ruth. That being said, any other affordable, yet interesting suggestions for Hall of Famer cards are welcome.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame

Last edited by KMayUSA6060; 09-27-2016 at 07:12 AM.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:48 AM
Ted Zanidakis

1932 Sanella Babe Ruth

This Babe Ruth collectible was meant to be pasted into a very large All-Sports album produced in Germany by the Sanella Margarine Co.

I have this album complete with all the world-wide athletes of that era. If anyone here is interested, I will check it out to see if a certain
athlete of interest is included in this album.

TED Z
Old 09-27-2016, 08:23 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
1932 Sanella Babe Ruth

TED Z
I actually think the "likeness" is spot on. Here is the original, type 1 photo I own for comparison. It is an early image(1921) of Babe' classic "hr" pose.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (11.6 KB, 401 views)

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection

Last edited by Forever Young; 09-27-2016 at 08:52 AM.
Old 09-27-2016, 01:06 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

I sometimes wonder how all these pre-war German cards, obviously made of paper, survived the allied fire bombing of WWII and somehow migrated back to the States. Returning GI's who picked them up while part of the occupying force, maybe? I know the notorious Alan Hager auctioned off a small cache of Sanellas about 20 years ago and hyped them beyond belief. Because of his involvement and later retreat from the industry, I think the cards became a bit tainted and prices really never recovered.
Old 09-27-2016, 01:50 PM
Scott Russell

Interesting question. There are a decent amount of Bulgaria Sport cards around but not a ton. I had to actually contact a collector in Germany to put together the checklist for PSA's Set Registry composite for the set so it has flown pretty well under the radar. For the longest time I had the only set even started, I think there are three of us now.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 09-27-2016, 06:53 PM
Sean McGinty

It was really just a few cities that were subject to intense fire bombing during the war, so most of them probably survived (same with the 1929 Shonen Club in Japan).

With the Shonen Clubs (I assume the Sanellas are the same) they are probably easier to find in the US than they are in their country of origin these days. Not sure if that is the result of one person buying them all up at once and shipping them over, or just a steady drift of them one by one over the years as American collectors came across them. On Ebay there are usually 2-3 copies available at any given time and they show up in auction houses too, but on Yahoo Auctions Japan (Japan`s version of Ebay) they only pop up for sale infrequently.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:37 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:

1932 Sanella Babe Ruth

Hey guys,

The 112 Sportscards in this set (and their associated Album) were issued in 1932. The War in Europe did not start until at least 8 years later.
Therefore, there was plenty of time for many of these cards to be brought to the U.S.

TED Z
Old 09-29-2016, 04:01 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Illustrated here is the page in the 119-page Sanella Album with the Babe Ruth card.

Another page features an Olympic (5 Gold Medals) speed Skater Clas Thunberg card....and, a card depicting the famous Heavyweight Fight between
Max Schmeling and Jack Sharkey in New York City in 1932 (Sharkey won).

TED Z
Old 10-03-2016, 07:16 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Thanks for posting the pages, Ted.
Quote:
Illustrated here is the page in the 119-page Sanella Album with the Babe Ruth card.

Another page features an Olympic (5 Gold Medals) speed Skater Clas Thunberg card....and, a card depicting the famous Heavyweight Fight between

TED Z
Old 11-25-2016, 10:11 AM
Bill Potter

I like the card and would like to own one but I see so MANY of them for sale on ebay it makes me wonder if the card was not reprinted at some point in Post War Germany. If not then a LOT of them survived the Third Reich and WW2! Of course a bunch could have came on the market from the east after German Reunification.
Still I am a little leary of them. I bid 90 bucks for one a couple weeks ago and it ended up going for 112 or so. I would be afraid to give more than 100 for a slabbed example honestly.
Old 11-25-2016, 10:38 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandmountainslim View Post
I like the card and would like to own one but I see so MANY of them for sale on ebay it makes me wonder if the card was not reprinted at some point in Post War Germany. If not then a LOT of them survived the Third Reich and WW2! Of course a bunch could have came on the market from the east after German Reunification.
Still I am a little leary of them. I bid 90 bucks for one a couple weeks ago and it ended up going for 112 or so. I would be afraid to give more than 100 for a slabbed example honestly.
As I have posted, I have the entire set and the Album titled "Handbuch des Sports", that contains all these Sports cards....its Copyright is 1932.

All these Sportscards (including Babe Ruth) were printed and issued circa 1932.

Quote:

TED Z
Old 11-25-2016, 11:29 AM
Bill Potter

I understand it was copyright 1932 and was printed during that period. I am just saying that I have no way of knowing additional copies have not been printed in Germany (or elsewhere) since the end of WW2 or in modern times.
Old 11-25-2016, 12:05 PM
Ben North

Quote:
I understand it was copyright 1932 and was printed during that period. I am just saying that I have no way of knowing additional copies have not been printed in Germany (or elsewhere) since the end of WW2 or in modern times.
This could be said about any card.
Old 11-25-2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:
I am assuming you are pondering the matter of purchasing a period Babe Ruth strictly to own and enjoy for your collection, not to flip it in 6 months.

It's a very common concern among us as to whether there's actually "a ton of them out there that haven't been graded". Compounded by the fear a huge find of unsold stock of the Sanellas with come on the market. Come on, now, the chance of a find is something each of us lives with. Are you really enjoying yourself being consumed with such a preoccupation with the thoughts you expressed?

OK, so the Sanella is a rather common Ruth. It certainly is a recognizable image of the Babe. Are you despondent over the thought if you bought the card, everybody else on Net54 probably has one as well? I can understand that to a point, honestly, but if you wind up buying the Sanella Babe, and somehow allow yourself the luxury of showing it off to any of us, it might really surprise you how few of us own one.

If you confine yourself to the known rarities that also happen to be beautiful, such as the 1914 Baltimore News, but no doubt that was not your intention, triple negative not withstanding!

A Sanella is regarded much more highly than the beautiful Golden Press Hall of Fame, or 1949 Leaf, or a Kellogg's / Rold Gold 3-D. OK, most would not put a Sanella above the Leaf; I just feel the former has so much more eye-appeal, and is very much a career period card. The Leaf was produced in honor of Babe's sad passing, and moreover, many guys collect this set. A Sanella is a lot more respectable than a 1935 4-in-1 Goudey; again, the Sanella has so much more eye candy over the four-players to a card Goudey. I'm sure you weren't contemplating a modern Ruth, though a POST-WAR thread was initiated in the past few days about what modern Ruths are recommended to own, and in which you yourself chimed in.

Though the Sanella is almost paper-thin, so are the 1914-15 Cracker Jack. Once graded by PSA, immediately the card carries more cache, security, and finally the definite weight gain that always seems to help the collector, psychologically, with his thin cards.

A lot of thoughts here, and most I gave are to jar you on how you're coming across. I could use that right now, probably. It goes back to "supply and demand". Sanellas have a strong supply, but you and I are pretty aware of the massive demand for George Herman. I say spend your time finding a specimen that really does it for you, having the characteristics of a card you love, and buy it. Your bread in exchange for some vintage butter that has aged beautifully. Not trying to butter you up, bub, but judging from Babe's white cap on the Sanella, the original photo was taken when The Babe was becoming THE BAMBINO.

My nickel pack's worth. ---Brian Powell

PS---Don't waste your money on buying an entire set, just to get the Babe, unless the raw Ruth is outstanding, and the set price is not much more expensive than a nice graded Ruth itself. Again, if the Babe in a set or major group really pushes your button, OK, but factor in the probable grade PSA will give it, and its value for that grade. Remember, don't be too liberal gauging the grade YOU THINK PSA will award it.

Last edited by brian1961; 11-26-2016 at 12:19 PM.
Old 11-25-2016, 12:58 PM
Bry@n

I think the reason they are so readily available at reasonable price has more to do with demand than supply or reprint fears. Obviously they printed a lot of them - the PSA pop for all variations combined is about 1,000 and we can assume that there are many ungraded. However, with Sanellas people don't hold them tightly or hoard them unlike, say, 33 Goudey Ruths (where PSA has graded 850-1000 of each of the 4 poses) - but there is a much higher demand and therefore higher prices in spite of the fact that there are a lot more of each graded Goudey Ruth than there are of each graded Sanella.

Last edited by Jobu; 11-25-2016 at 02:10 PM.
Old 11-25-2016, 01:51 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I had a PSA graded one a few years back and it was definitely from the 1930s. I examined it under the microscope and it used a type of ink that was discontinued in the 1930s.
Old 11-25-2016, 02:51 PM
Bill Potter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
I think the reason they are so readily available at reasonable price has more to do with demand than supply or reprint fears. Obviously they printed a lot of them - the PSA pop for all variations combined is about 1,000 and we can assume that there are many ungraded. However, with Sanellas people don't hold them tightly or hoard them unlike, say, 33 Goudey Ruths (where PSA has graded 850-1000 of each of the 4 poses) - but there is a much higher demand and therefore higher prices in spite of the fact that there are a lot more of each graded Goudey Ruth than there are of each graded Sanella.
Thank you. That is what I was wondering. It just seemed strange to me so many are around in this country in such fine shape considering their origin was Weimar Germany during such a turbulent period. Assuming many fewer people collect them than the Goudey cards would help explain why you see them for sale so often.
Old 11-25-2016, 02:58 PM
Bry@n

As for the condition, Sanella distributed a lot of the albums like the one Ted posted, so it makes sense that many survive in high grades because lots of cards were immediately stored flat in books.
Old 11-25-2016, 04:23 PM
Bruce Fairchild

I bid on the one listed on eBay last week, thought it was interesting. My bid was very low because I didn't have any information on it and was just curious to see what it would sell for.
Old 11-25-2016, 05:41 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

I like the Sanella, in that it's period, cheap and a very nice image of Ruth imo...

I too really like the Shonen Postcard, that would probably be my favorite in the sub $250 price range. Unless you get a nice deal on a rough exhibit or something.
Old 11-28-2016, 02:20 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Others have opined already with good advice on the Sanella.
+1 on all accounts. Though I think in the $250 range (lower end but doable with patience) a Fro Joy or 1928 Babe Ruth Candy card can be had and should be considered. That being said the Sanellas can still be had much cheaper. All are good choices though. It's hard to go too wrong with Ruth as long as you do your homework first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksfan09 View Post
I like the Sanella, in that it's period, cheap and a very nice image of Ruth imo...

I too really like the Shonen Postcard, that would probably be my favorite in the sub $250 price range. Unless you get a nice deal on a rough exhibit or something.
Old 11-30-2016, 10:12 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Album page......

Two of the 112 Sanella brand Sportscards are BB related. The Babe Ruth card and this one depicting a Japanese BB catcher in training in Berlin at the Tempelhof Air Field.
Circa early 1930's, the Japanese formed their first Professional Baseball League.

TED Z