NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-09-2005, 09:07 PM
Administrator

Default A quick Old Judge lesson

Posted By: john/z28jd

I know Lee will appreciate this and im not picking on SGC because if it were just them that got it wrong i wouldnt make a thread about it.Ive seen these guys mixed up more times than ive seen them right

2 guys played for Philadelphia that appeared in the old judge set that both had the last name Wood.They shouldnt be hard to tell apart for 2 reasons.

George Wood was a left fielder and he had a moustache
Pete Wood was a pitcher and he has no moustache,this is made easier by the fact if a card says Wood P you could just assume the P stands for Pete instead of pitcher

http://www.19thcenturyonly.org/site/bid/bidplace.asp?itemid=2732&getauctionid=58

Old 01-09-2005, 11:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: J Levine

Had not gotten around to letting Seth know but looks like someone caught it as well and they are changing the label. I have both George and Pete Wood in my OJ collection and they definitely are two different people

-Joshua

Old 01-10-2005, 12:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

That is not the first George Wood that has a Pete label, there has been at least 2 other others I can't remember which company but I know it wasn't this card. I get all excited when I see the Pete Wood only to have a great disappointment when I see the picture. Don't see old Pete too often.

Lee

Old 01-10-2005, 06:30 AM
Administrator

The reason you dont see Pete too often is probably because he only pitched 3 games for the Phillies in 1889 and his only other experience in the majors before that was in 1885.From experience and Lee's statement backs it up,Pete is definitely harder to find than George so it could possibly affect the value as to which player is on the label

If you didnt re-check the link,note that Seth fixed the description and will resubmit the card to labeled correctly for the winner

Old 02-10-2005, 08:59 PM
Administrator

I guess people dont listen to me,especially grading companies.... they cant even get these guys right half the time!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=86837&item=5164588846&rd=1

Not Pete Wood,can anyone in the class tell me why its not him?

Old 02-10-2005, 09:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: William Heitman

Tells you something about the grading services.

Old 02-10-2005, 09:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Cornell

Not Pete Wood,can anyone in the class tell me why its not him?

Something about the moustache? I can't tell the Woods apart, but I know they were both better than Larry Corcoran.

Old 02-10-2005, 09:52 PM
Administrator

Were they better than Tom Reilly? and is it better to have 2 Reilly cards or 3? Questions only Bill can answer

Old 02-10-2005, 11:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: J Levine

This is too easy...it is George Wood...he played L.F. Pete was a pitcher...the Pete Wood OJ is also fairly tough in my opinion. As people keep saying...buy the card, not the grade (or in this case, the description).

-Joshua

Old 02-11-2005, 12:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

Enough about making Pete a tough card to find, I still have some poses to get. After that then we all can talk aboout how tough he is to get.