NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-22-2013, 03:16 PM
Yld.er Ri.za

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehoodedcoder View Post
21 posts. Awesome.

You should look it up then or try to figure it out.

It's pretty easy to figure out if you just look.

Kevin
Unlike you I already know how to do it. It was more of a zinger against you. In fact I will do it now. Have a nice life of denial hoodface.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:19 PM
Kevin Qui.nn

Ok. Keep on posting on these threads guy.

It fits you well.

Kevin

Last edited by thehoodedcoder; 11-22-2013 at 03:20 PM.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:34 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Ok. Keep on posting on these threads guy.

It fits you well.

Kevin
The more you post on Net 54 the less time is spent on your initiatives to ferret out fraud, you moron.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:58 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

For some reason these threads keep reminding me of the quote.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to post your opinions online and remove all doubt."

- @be L!nc0ln

Always looking to buy: President cards (to complete my set of 16)
NOT looking to buy: Mid-19th century N-type stage actors cards.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:13 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschock View Post

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to post your opinions online and remove all doubt."

- @be L!nc0ln

Never knew Lincoln was such an avid online poster…learn something new every day.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:26 PM
Peter Spaeth

Default yikes

Bidder in a current Rick auction with 33 retractions.

Bid History: Details

Bidding Details

Bidder Information
Bidder: u***l ( 8171Feedback score is 5,000 to 9,999)
Item description: Item Title: 1954 Red Heart Mickey Mantle HOF New York Yankees PSA 8 NM-MT " HIGH END"
Bids on this item: 10
30-Day Summary
Total bids: 1547
Items bid on: 450
Bid activity (%) with this seller: 26% Help
Bid retractions: 1
Bid retractions (6 months): 33

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:41 PM
Richard L.

Peter, not to outdo you but check out the bidder that retracted? (The infamous Pank was the winner).

http://tinyurl.com/m3a753z
Old 11-22-2013, 08:48 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsaddict View Post
Peter, not to outdo you but check out the bidder that retracted? (The infamous Pank was the winner).

http://tinyurl.com/m3a753z
15 current, 122 total. Obviously a bidder who has not learned how to type.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:11 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Rick says this happens in everyone's auctions.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:39 PM
Ruben

It happens in everyone's auctions that aren't real, or honest.
I don't bother bidding on any item/s anymore on ebay if there are bidder/s with bid retractions.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:27 PM
Yld.er Ri.za

Quote:
Originally Posted by atx840 View Post
what exactly have you done to help clean up the hobby?
I know this was not directed at me, but I am working on at least getting Rick suspended from ebay if not also arrested. He ripped off the wrong person. All routes I will use to get him banned and/or arrested are legal means of doing it. He will end up the Bill Mastro of ebay if I have anything to do with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Rick says this happens in everyone's auctions.
I wonder if Problemstein actually has a sinister cartoon laugh when he types something like that. I can see it. "This happens in everyone's auctions. Everyone's indeed. HA HA HA HA HA HA,"
Old 11-22-2013, 11:35 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

If it's not shilling then what's wrong with these people?

Total bids:378
Bid retractions (6 months): 87
Old 11-22-2013, 11:43 PM

I have been a seller on eBay, off and on, since 1999. I have over 2500 feed back and during all of this time, I have probably had 10 (or fewer) bid retractions in my auctions.

If someone bids and then retracts their bid in my auction more than twice, I am going to ban them. I don't need the headache.

Also, I have NEVER shilled ANY of my auctions. Not only is that greedy but also illegal and against eBay rules. I price items where I am comfortable with selling them. If they don't sell, too bad for me. I am NOT going to play the game of "start something with a low opening bid and then shill some sucker to the price I actually want to achieve.".

David
Old 11-23-2013, 12:04 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Agree.

I have retracted a bid twice in all my years on eBay both were mistake bids i.e. entering 1000 instead of 100 etc. of those retractions I immediately reentered the correct bid.

Can’t see why anyone would have dozens upon dozens of retracted bids unless up to no good.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:18 AM
N.ate A.dams

Quote:
Originally Posted by atx840 View Post
If it's not shilling then what's wrong with these people?

Total bids:378
Bid retractions (6 months): 87
The only logical explanation, Chris, is fat fingers.

Last edited by npa589; 11-23-2013 at 12:19 AM.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:11 AM
Dan Bretta

I sell hundreds of items per week on ebay...I don't get as many retractions as Probstein...probably only about 1/100th the amount he gets, but I believe some of these people with huge numbers of retractions are trying to see the high bid of the current high bidder...they bid up to it and then retract hoping to snipe it at the end. I don't watch my auctions 24/7 so sometimes I will see after an item has ended that someone has retracted a bid, and that same person won the auction.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:48 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

There can be honest reasons for placing a majority of bids with one seller and for retracting bids. As Adrian showed us, some people are more OCD than others.

When I was an active bidder, there were always a few sellers who I regularly checked on to see what the had-- because they always had good stuff and I trusted them. I'm sure a large percentage of my bids were with them.

I don't recall ever retracting a bid once. In fact, I don't know that I even knew I could retract. I may have assumed you couldn't do that.

My one good story is years back when Mastro had weekly auctions and you typed in your bids, I accidentally typed in $15,000 instead of $1,1500 with about ten minutes left. I didn't know what to do-- I wasn't planning on paying $15,000, but my bid wasn't raised so there was no issue.

I've never shilled, I've never ended an auction when there was one or more bids, but have ended early auctions where there were no bids. I felt it was always my right to end an auction where no one had placed the minimum bid.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:57 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
There can be honest reasons for placing a majority of bids with one seller and for retracting bids. As Adrian showed us, some people are more OCD than others.
OCD is a legitimate reason, but no honest reason I can think of for a seller not blocking such bidders from their auctions. I too have accidentally added an extra '0' to a bid, but I don't recall ever retracting one, even for a legitimate mistake.

Some hobbyists can live in their own skin with what others would consider to be huge integrity problems. Those same people are amazed when the rest of us consider them to be lacking in integrity. Tough luck - they can't blame us for trying to help maintain a higher level of integrity in our hobby through threads like this. The idea that we basically have to keep our mouth shut unless we can prove guilt in a court of law, is absurd.

Ebay has found a loophole where they think they can legally allow cheating by manipulating their rules, thus increasing their profits. For now it's working, but it's wrong, and our best recourse is this forum...public exposure.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:32 AM
pete ullman

It's not everyday that I agree w/Scott F...but I totally...agree with his last post!!!!
Old 11-23-2013, 12:11 PM
Kevin Qui.nn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott
and our best recourse is this forum...public exposure.
You just summed it all up for me in one sentence.

It is not yours, mine or our only recourse.

The problem is that everyone on these threads whole heartedly believes it is.

Kevin

Last edited by thehoodedcoder; 11-23-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:18 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
It's not everyday that I agree w/Scott F...but I totally...agree with his last post!!!!
Thanks for admitting that - I have quoted you, just in case I need to use it in my internet discussion forum resume.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:22 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

When I see news stories about unethical Enron-types who will do anything to further pad their 8 figure bank accounts, I say "There are worse things than being poor."

I believe most people are honest and fair and have no desire to cheat or trick others out of money. I believe that for most people who find on the sidewalk a wallet with fifty bucks in it, they will try and return it whole to the owner.

I also find most teenagers these days to be polite.

Last edited by drcy; 11-23-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:56 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
I sell hundreds of items per week on ebay...I don't get as many retractions as Probstein...probably only about 1/100th the amount he gets, but I believe some of these people with huge numbers of retractions are trying to see the high bid of the current high bidder...they bid up to it and then retract hoping to snipe it at the end. I don't watch my auctions 24/7 so sometimes I will see after an item has ended that someone has retracted a bid, and that same person won the auction.

I don't sell hundreds of items per week, but yes, I've said it before. Many are now using retractions as a bid strategy to scare off other bidders.

Last guy who retracted a bid from one of my auctions, had a lot of retractions, so I blocked him. Got a message from him a day later, "I don't understand, I tried to bid and it said I'm blocked".

I told him it made me look like I was shilling the auction when he did that. He responded with apologies and told me he had no idea that's how it looked to others. I have a feeling he knew exactly how it looked.

I can't control how others behave on the rest of Ebay, and I'm not going to weed out everybody who is putting in retracting bids in other places, but I can somewhat control how bidders are behaving in MY auctions.
Old 11-23-2013, 02:08 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
You just summed it all up for me in one sentence.

It is not yours, mine or our only recourse.

The problem is that everyone on these threads whole heartedly believes it is.

Kevin
This is clearly the dumbest guy on Net 54 -- and that says a lot. He shows up a month ago and has convinced himself that the only things being done to stop fraud in the hobby are what exists on this board. He reads nothing, knows nothing, makes no effort to learn about anything -- and does all that he can to stop any discourse about fraud here -- so that he can work in private on some insane 'initiatives' that we all know are the figments of his imagination.

Last edited by calvindog; 11-23-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old 11-23-2013, 02:12 PM
Jeff

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 11-23-2013, 02:14 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
This is clearly the dumbest guy on Net 54 -- and that says a lot. He shows up a month ago and has convinced himself that the only things being done to stop fraud in the hobby are what exists on this board. He reads nothing, knows nothing, makes no effort to learn about anything -- and does all that he can to stop any discourse about fraud here -- so that he can work in private on some insane 'initiatives' that we all know are the figments of his imagination.
Damn Jeff does this mean I lost my title? I thought I was the dumbest…guess I’m going to have to up my game these are tough times some serious competition.
Old 11-23-2013, 02:16 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

clouseau.jpg
Old 11-23-2013, 02:20 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Old 11-23-2013, 02:24 PM
Yld.er Ri.za

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
I don't sell hundreds of items per week, but yes, I've said it before. Many are now using retractions as a bid strategy to scare off other bidders.

Last guy who retracted a bid from one of my auctions, had a lot of retractions, so I blocked him. Got a message from him a day later, "I don't understand, I tried to bid and it said I'm blocked".

I told him it made me look like I was shilling the auction when he did that. He responded with apologies and told me he had no idea that's how it looked to others. I have a feeling he knew exactly how it looked.

I can't control how others behave on the rest of Ebay, and I'm not going to weed out everybody who is putting in retracting bids in other places, but I can somewhat control how bidders are behaving in MY auctions.

I was bidding on a Dewalt rotary hammer for some work I needed to do on my house, so I started bidding on one. Suddenly this zero feedback, less than a month old account outbids me. I outbid before I looked at the bidding history. Both times the outbidding was almost immediately after mine i.e. less than a minute. I went and bid a third time and it happened to be the limit. I was testing to see if it was a shill, and at the same time that was the most I was going to pay, which was under what they were normally selling, so I said what the hell, let's see what happens. If I win, I get it at the level I was going to go anyway and will buy it. I get outbid a 3rd time by that same account. I left it at that. About 30 minutes after the auction ended, surprise, surprise, the seller emails me saying the buyer changed his mind and left me a second chance offer at my highest bid. The winner was that zero feedback bidder. Normally I say to someone that sends me a second chance offer, "why should I have to pay my highest bid, when if that guy who didn't pay hadn't bid, I would have won at a lower price?" I looked at this zero bidder and he had about 50 bids and 100% of them with this seller. I told the seller to run that shill scam with someone stupid enough to fall for it. He never responded. Does his not responding to an incriminating accusation sound familiar? Hint, we have been talking about someone similar that ignores incriminating questions. Shill bidding and lowlife sellers don't only exist in sports collectible auctions unfortunately. They are everywhere.

Last edited by Acollector; 11-23-2013 at 04:28 PM.
Old 11-23-2013, 02:35 PM
Peter Spaeth

There was probably shill bidding in the Agora.

Old 11-23-2013, 02:47 PM
Yld.er Ri.za

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
There was probably shill bidding in the Agora.
I could see someone from Crete shill bidding someone from Athens because the Athenian kept winning everything.
Old 11-23-2013, 03:55 PM

Carthage shillenda est!
Old 11-23-2013, 05:28 PM

Is there a way for sellers to see how many times bidders have retracted bids in their auctions?

Also, do get an email from ebay when someone retracts a bid?

Last edited by vintagechris; 11-23-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Old 11-23-2013, 05:35 PM
Jeff

Veni, vidi, schillichi!

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

Old 11-23-2013, 05:54 PM
Yld.er Ri.za

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagechris View Post
Is there a way for sellers to see how many times bidders have retracted bids in their auctions?

Also, do get an email from ebay when someone retracts a bid?
The retracting bidder, the other bidders and the seller all get an email from ebay that a bid was retracted.

The sellers would get an email for each retraction that bidder had, and it would show the retractions in the bid history.
Old 11-23-2013, 05:57 PM
Jeff

Of course some sellers are far too busy to have time to pay much attention to such e-mails.

Old 11-23-2013, 05:59 PM
pete ullman

maybe some sellers could train someone in their migrant worker army to take note of such activity?

Last edited by ullmandds; 11-23-2013 at 06:00 PM.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:03 PM
Yld.er Ri.za

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
maybe some sellers could train someone in their migrant worker army to take note of such activity?
That would require them hiring Americans that speak English. That would also require them paying them a decent wage, so no.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:14 PM
Ronald Goldberg

Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Old 11-23-2013, 06:18 PM
Jeff

Not the entire world.

Old 11-23-2013, 06:21 PM
Peter Spaeth

Petronius was probably shilled in the Forum.

Old 11-23-2013, 06:22 PM
pete ullman

Maybe at a david blaine special!
Old 11-23-2013, 06:23 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
Not the entire world.
Certainly the registry dudes.

Old 11-23-2013, 06:23 PM
Yld.er Ri.za

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Petronius was probably shilled in the Forum.
Julius probably shilled Brutus for the Coliseum naming rights. Zues (woops, I mean Jupiter, Zeus was the Greek parallel set of Gods) won the auction though I think.

Last edited by Acollector; 11-23-2013 at 08:09 PM.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:25 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by acollector View Post
julius probably shilled brutus for the coliseum naming rights. Zues won the auction though i think.
delete

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 11-27-2013 at 06:08 PM.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:40 PM
pete ullman

what r u trying to say Kevin? WTF? 1?
Old 11-23-2013, 07:43 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

He's shilling the thread

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 11-27-2013, 06:05 PM
Kevin Qui.nn

now that rick commented and those comments were appended, everyone got their resolve.

...the thread goes quiet. issue is over with.

just like the rest of them.

kevin

Last edited by thehoodedcoder; 11-27-2013 at 07:17 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:34 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
now that rick commented and those comments were appended, everyone got their resolve.

...the thread goes quiet. issue is over with.

just like the rest of them.

kevin
Every month more auction house principals are being indicted, convicted, sentenced to jail or receiving grand jury subpoenas in fraud investigations -- and yet one sole idiot seemingly misses all of this as he is busy, hunkered down, working hard on his double secret initiatives.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:38 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Every month more auction house principals are being indicted, convicted, sentenced to jail or receiving grand jury subpoenas in fraud investigations -- and yet one sole idiot seemingly misses all of this as he is busy, hunkered down, working hard on his double secret initiatives.

Shhh Jeff you're going to blow his cover...besides he only has so much "dick" to go around to offer everyone this evening.