NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-25-2012, 12:00 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default You want to see an amazing collection

If this guy ever puts his collection up for sale.....wow!

http://seth.com/coll_histbseballs_tn.html
Old 01-25-2012, 12:17 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Great stuff, but that "Terminal Tower" ball is awesome...
I heard Seth do an interview with 92.3 here in Cleveland over the summer. For the most part, he seemed to focus on the Vander Meer ball and the Buckner ball. Also mentioned the Champagne bottle from the Red Sox locker room before the Buckner error happened..

Last edited by novakjr; 01-25-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:53 PM
Belltown Vintage

Of course, the big question for this forum would be...

Old 01-25-2012, 03:59 PM
$teve O.

Wow. That guys got balls!!
Old 01-25-2012, 04:32 PM
Mike Henson

A few of these are already up in Heritage's April auction preview, looks like he is starting to sell.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:04 PM

/

Last edited by howard38; 09-10-2020 at 03:20 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:48 PM

Default Seth Swirsky- baseball books

How many of you have read his trilogy of baseball books?

I read his first two books entitled "Baseball Letters" and "Every Pitcher Tells a Story". Absolutely awesome reads if you haven't picked them up. I highly recommend them!!

I had a chance to meet Seth Swirsky at the 1997 All Star Fan Fest in Cleveland. He had just finished "Baseball Letters" and he was there selling and signing his books. I had a nice chat 10 minute chat with him, and he seemed like a great guy. We have exchanged e-mails a few times through the years re: various signed collectibles...

Great collection!

Last edited by Scott Garner; 01-26-2012 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:14 AM
Bilko Glasier

Absolutely Amazing!!!!!
Old 01-28-2012, 11:43 AM
Belltown Vintage

No opinion on the Ruth and Gehrig signatures?
Old 01-28-2012, 03:08 PM
Jason Wells

The Ty Cobb pitched ball is amazing.I was totally unaware of that occurence. He really has a great collection there.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:47 PM
Belltown Vintage

lol - so those sigs look good to all the Yankee autograph experts on this forum?

I'm seeing a trend here: if you know the guy and like him, the signature is good. If you don't know him, or the LOA/COA was created by someone you don't like (or have a fight going with in this forum), then the signature is bad. If you know the guy and like him, and the signature doesn't look so kosher....dead silence.

Carry on, my faux pas. (is it a faux pas if you did it on purpose? )
Old 01-28-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
lol - so those sigs look good to all the Yankee autograph experts on this forum?

I'm seeing a trend here: if you know the guy and like him, the signature is good. If you don't know him, or the LOA/COA was created by someone you don't like (or have a fight going with in this forum), then the signature is bad. If you know the guy and like him, and the signature doesn't look so kosher....dead silence.

Carry on, my faux pas. (is it a faux pas if you did it on purpose? )
Scott,
No comment from me because I don't feel qualified to respond.
Sorry! I'm hoping that others that are more familiar with the intricacies of these sigs check in with their opinions....
I hope you get your responses soon.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:05 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Scott,
No comment from me because I don't feel qualified to respond.
Sorry! I'm hoping that others that are more familiar with the intricacies of these sigs check in with their opinions....
I hope you get your responses soon.
Thanks Scott. No response necessary - I can tell from looking at that ball that no one here could tell you one way or the other if the signatures are authentic.
I just thought I'd see if anyone would bite.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:34 PM
Brock

Scott,

I know nothing about autos really but to me the Ruth looks clubhouse. Not sure about Gehrig, but looks like his early Verison.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:30 AM

Don't care. Yankees suck.

To be honest (though I was honest about the Yankees sucking), is the Ruth looks a bit funny to me. But I'm no expert so even I don't take seriously my opinion on the matter.

I recently met a lovely, nice woman from NYC. I was relieved to learn she was a Mets fan. "Okay," I thought. "Mets I can handle."

If it's any consolation, I don't like the Red Sox either.

Last edited by drc; 01-29-2012 at 02:43 AM.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:18 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc View Post
Don't care. Yankees suck.

To be honest (though I was honest about the Yankees sucking), is the Ruth looks a bit funny to me. But I'm no expert so even I don't take seriously my opinion on the matter.

I recently met a lovely, nice woman from NYC. I was relieved to learn she was a Mets fan. "Okay," I thought. "Mets I can handle."

If it's any consolation, I don't like the Red Sox either.
David, I never liked the Mets either, but only because I grew up an Astros fan, and they crawled out of the cellar quicker than we did (yes, it was jealousy).

But, back to the topic. This collection of balls is amazing - I've thoroughly enjoyed reading the stories on his website. But that Yankme's ball does illustrate that there's a problem that no one really wants to talk about unless it involves one of their enemies - the 'good guys' are off-limits, and that's what fostered this situation to begin with.

In most cases (note the qualifier), the only person who is sure his Ruth ball is authentic, is the guy who has it sitting in his trophy case - for him, that signature HAS to be real every time he brings over one of his buddies for a cigar and single malt.

I say, toss this one to Pickles.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:37 PM

The Mets aren't good enough to hate. I also grew up following the American League, so they were like playing in the Land of Oz. The Mets never played my team when I was young, and the prospects that they would would vague at clearest. The Yankees were in my division.

For me at least, the teams I hate happen to win a lot. So it's a bit of a compliment. I disliked your Cowboys in part because they kept beating my Packers in the playoffs.

Last edited by drc; 01-29-2012 at 01:32 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:33 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc View Post
The Mets aren't good enough to hate. I also grew up following the American League, so they were like playing in the Land of Oz. The Mets never played my team when I was young, and the prospects that they would were vague at clearest. The Yankees were in my division.

For me at least, the teams I hate happen to win a lot. So it's a bit of a compliment. I disliked your Cowboys in part because they kept beating my Packers in the playoffs. That they Cowboys had Michael Irvin, Deon Sanders, Jimmy Jones didn't help matters.

The Superbowl is a tough call for me, as she's a Giants fan. I don't hate the Giants but I have to admit I'm not a big fan.
David, I hated the Packers for the same reason ('66,'67 NFL championship). I was certain Bart Starr didn't make it over the goal-line. Still hurts to think about that play. The guys you mention wouldn't have lasted a day on those old Cowboy teams - Landry wouldn't have put up with them. Remember Hollywood Henderson? And can you imagine how Vince Lombardi would have reacted to those guys?

Jerry Jones is a travesty, but he's in good company in pro sports.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:39 PM

My distaste was from the 1990s when Troy Aikman et al were beating the Packers in the playoffs to go to the Superbowl.

When I was a lad in the 1970s, everyone was beating the Packers. For me, a winning season was as vague and foggy as those Mets. I was too young to do theory.

I often say I deserve all the Packers modern success, because they were horrid in my youngster years and I was always a loyal fan. I guess I didn't know any better.

I remember when my mom started following baseball. Specifically the local Mariners in 2001-- yes 116 wins that year. I kept telling her as she watched them on tv winning another series, "Be warned. It's not going to be like this every year."

Last edited by drc; 01-29-2012 at 02:50 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:08 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default Where did Seth Swirsky's stuff go?

He had a lot of amazing items in the upcoming Heritage Auction, but now all appear to be gone?

What happened?

He had the Buckner Ball, A letter from Judge Landis to Shoeless Joe, etc etc. It's all gone!

http://sports.ha.com/common/search_r...1&chkNotSold=0
Old 03-24-2012, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
He had a lot of amazing items in the upcoming Heritage Auction, but now all appear to be gone?

What happened?

He had the Buckner Ball, A letter from Judge Landis to Shoeless Joe, etc etc. It's all gone!

http://sports.ha.com/common/search_r...1&chkNotSold=0
Paul,
I just checked the HA auction website and a couple of items that I have been tracking out of Seth Swirsky's collection are still there, FWIW...