NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-26-2010, 03:56 PM
Dan Bretta

Default OT Kind of....2010 Topps

I'm not a new card buyer, but occasionally will pick up some Topps cards...usually once a year to see what they look like. So I'm at my local card shop today picking up supplies and grab one of those small 55 card Topps boxes with Jackie Robinson on the front of the box. I must say that Topps has really made some nice cards this year...I still prefer the old cardboard to these shiny ones, but they've really put a lot of vintage players into the set this year. Just out of my one box I got a Jimmie Foxx, George Sisler, Carl Yastrzemski, Lou Gehrig, Reggie Jackson (repro of his 77 Topps card), Statue of Honus Wagner, Ebbets Field, and a really neat card of Ty Cobb sliding into the base with his spikes high. I might just have to put a set together this year instead of just buying the factory set like I have for the past 10 years.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:56 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Topps and.....

In going to the local show this last weekend with Rich K I got to get caught up on the "new" card hobby quite a bit. My understanding is that only TOPPS has a MLB contract and also that UD might be getting out of the baseball card business altogether, leaving only Topps. Topps is going to produce around 12-15 sets this year, which is down from all mfgs 5-10 yrs ago, when over 90 sets a year were being produced.

We also stopped by a LCS (local card shop) on the way back so Rich could pick up some supplies. We were only in there about 20 minutes and at least 5-8 people came through in that time. There were even a few pre-war collectors that came in and we chatted about T206's for a few minutes. The owner says he has been there about 16 yrs and my understanding is that he has a pretty good following. While we were there a late teen or early 20 yr old guy came in. He brought about 12 new packs up to the counter and was going to buy them. The card store owner, a nice gentleman probably in his early 60's, maybe late 50's, told the lad that he was surprised the young man was buying this much as it was around $53 total, and that was quite a bit more than usual. The young guy said it was a little more than he intended to really buy so, together, they went through the packs and narrowed it to around $20. The guy paid and left. I thought that was pretty cool. I hope more young collectors continue collecting. regards
Old 04-26-2010, 06:42 PM
Chris Stufflestreet

This year is the first in a very long time where I've been picking up packs at the store, and I've even traded with some of my long-time trading buddies. At the same time, my daughter is using the ToppsTown cards and building the virtual set there. I'm only two cards away from a Series 1 base set and while I'm not exactly thrilled to be paying $2 a pack or $10 for a 55-card "cereal box" it's neat to build a set again. I was probably 19 the last time I built a set from busting packs rather than just buying the factory set.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:53 PM
Jim D

I will probably do Topps football this year, but not baseball. I also did Topps UFC this year, which i am very very happy with. Highly recommended if you watch the UFC

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 04-26-2010, 06:57 PM
Miguel

I bought some packs of 2010 Topps earlier this month to send out as small Opening Day gifts to some colleagues (I've decided to continue this tradition each year...should much more fun than the traditional seasonal greeting cards).

One thing that's kind of cool is that each pack contains a redemption card that gives you a code that you can enter on a website. Each code corresponds to one unique card in one of numerous older Topps sets. I put in my code and got a common from 1978. I think this is a great idea. You can trade the cards with other users directly on the website where they're redeemed. I think you can also have them mailed to you, if you want (presumably there's a shipping charge).

The more exposure that collectors of new cards have to older stuff, the better. I believe it's inevitable than as anyone moves backward in time in their collecting, they'll eventually reach pre-war cards.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:12 PM
Steven Finley

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUBAR View Post
I will probably do Topps football this year, but not baseball.
I could be wrong but I think I heard Topps lost it's NFL contract. Bummer because Topps Chrome football was one of the few modern sets I purchase yearly.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:03 PM
And.rew Whi.te

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfinley View Post
I could be wrong but I think I heard Topps lost it's NFL contract. Bummer because Topps Chrome football was one of the few modern sets I purchase yearly.
Topps did lose the NFL license but there is a rumor going around that they will be back this year. I guess we have to stay tuned for an announcement in the next few days!
Old 04-26-2010, 09:42 PM
Chris Stufflestreet

Losing an NFL license didn't stop Topps from making football cards between 1970-1981, they just used head shots and airbrushed the logos off of helmets (well, except the Browns and the left side of the Steelers' helmet). Perhaps we'll see more of that with their next issues.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:18 PM
Archive

Dan

If I were you, I would just buy a factory set. There are so many shortprints and variations that building a set by hand could turn into a nightmare. Not to mention that when you buy a pack with 10 cards inside, 5 of those cards are inserts which won't get you any closer to finishing your set.

If you do decide to build a base set, let me know. I have quite a few friends that collect modern cards and probably could help you complete your set when you get down to those last few needed.

By the way, I built a 2009 Topps T206 Anniversary set last year. After opening a box (20 packs), I still needed 168 base cards and 45 shortprints to finish the set. The cards are nice and it was fun to build, but it took some time and money to locate and buy the shortprints.

Hope this helps

Jantz
Old 04-27-2010, 05:29 AM
Rich Klein

Default I have tons of 2010 singles

As I like buying the cheap packs for the Million Card Giveaway (MCG).

Also, as for a couple of other notes:

Topps was not given a football licence for 2010; I believed when that decision was made that it was a mistake because any of that $$$ would have been put into the 2011 fund in case of strike/lockout. There is a real good chance that ONLY Panini America will produce FB Cards in 2010. Upper Deck *IS* in real trouble (note the article I posted last week about their lack of paying players) and it is believed there is chance they may not survive 2010.

Regards
Rich
Old 04-28-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisStufflestreet View Post
Losing an NFL license didn't stop Topps from making football cards between 1970-1981, they just used head shots and airbrushed the logos off of helmets (well, except the Browns and the left side of the Steelers' helmet). Perhaps we'll see more of that with their next issues.
They were able to do that because that had a license with NFLPA to use the players' facial images. But NFLPA did not renew its license with Topps for 2010, although that too could change (not saying I've heard anything, just speculating).
Old 04-29-2010, 06:55 PM
Rich Klein

Default Topps FB Update

Topps sent out a press release today and they worked out a deal with the NFL and NFLPA so there will be 2010 Topps football products

Regards
Rich
Old 04-29-2010, 08:47 PM

I'm not a modern card collector but like Topps Chrome. I'll pick up a few packs when I have the chance.

Last edited by drc; 04-29-2010 at 08:52 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:11 PM
Jim D

im glad to hear that.... i dont spend alot on newer cards, i feel its a bad investment on the higher end ones. SO i usually buy either topps or bowman box each year and try to make a set.

If you are like me, try to buy the jumbo packs as you get more hits in them.

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 04-30-2010, 12:19 PM
marty

Topps is back in the FB card market;

Topps re-enters the football market
Posted by Mike Florio on April 29, 2010 9:46 AM ET
In November, the NFLPA opted not to continue in 2010 its license with Topps. At some point since then, the NFLPA has changed its mind.

Topps has announced today a multi-year arrangement with the NFL and Players Inc., the marketing arm of the NFL Players Association.

"For more than a half century, football fans have been able to connect with the NFL and their favorite players through Topps football cards," Leo Kane, NFL V.P. of consumer products, said in a release issued by Topps. "We look forward to continuing our partnership with Topps, bringing our fans collectibles for many years to come."

On one hand, we're happy about the news. My first tangible exposure to the NFL (apart from watching one or two games per week on one or two of the three television channels that piped through the Zenith console that also served as a large table) came from the wax packs of Topps cards, with the thin pink brick of bubble gum that somehow broke none of my teeth.

On the other hand, we wonder how many folks who were under the impression that Topps was exiting the football card market bought Topps football cards in the past several months. For instance, I bought Florio Jr. the full 2009 set, a purchase I likely wouldn't have made if I didn't believe it would be the final year of an unbroken 50-plus-year chain of Topps football products.

So, thanks, Topps. Though your gum never broke my teeth, your marketing tactics have added another small scar to my soul.