NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-27-2007, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Default Vintage Jerseys - A request for help/ideas

Posted By: Jason L

Hello all,
I thought I might stumble in here and ask a question of the resident jersey/uniform experts.

1) How might I get in touch with folks specializing in vintage jerseys (from the 1930s-1940s time frame)? Any referrals/recommendations are welcome.

2) Alternatively, if these items just aren't out there...anyone have any recommendations about companies that re-create such vintage MLB jerseys (replicas)?
If I can't find any, I would like to get one made!

Target:
Jerseys of Lee Handley (Cin 1936, Pit 1937-1944) and Gene Handley (Phi 1947/48)

Thanks in advance everyone,
Jason L

Old 06-27-2007, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Jason, finding one of those jerseys may be the same as winning the lottery, but it's always worth a shot. You will find all the experts over on the gameused board. Try asking your question over there.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2

Old 06-27-2007, 11:44 AM
Administrator

I will check that out
Can you believe that right after I first learned of Mastro's existence (several years ago), I browsed thru their most recently closed auction (at that time) and darned if there it was right there!!!

They had auctioned off a game used PCL UNIFORM of Gene Handley for like $1,200!!!

I just couldn't believe my bad luck to have missed that!

so the search continues....

I will likely settle for having replicas made, if I can find someone to do it

thanks again,
Jason

Old 06-27-2007, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Hey that's good news to know that one actually is out there. I would bet that the person who bought it at least lurks on the gameused forum.

Old 06-27-2007, 12:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

There is a company out there that sells replicas. I have a mid thirties A's Jersey. It might be a Foxx replica, I can't recall. It is about as authentic as it could be. Very heavy and made of wool. It gets so hot, that I can't wear it very often. I feel for the players who had to wear them back in the day.. I can't locate it right now. But after I find it, I will tell you who made it. I know it was pricey when I bought it. I have showed it to a few SABR members and other so called experts, and they think it's legit, until they see the tag. I will find it, and post the name of the company.

Old 06-27-2007, 12:12 PM
Administrator

I eagerly await your info...
must be impressive to be fooling folks like that!

yeah, Dan, I guess there must be one or 2 out there...and they probably reside in colelctions of PCL enthusiasts or else other "sects" of the extended family who I have never met!

Old 06-27-2007, 12:17 PM
Administrator

One drawback is that PCL collectors are like pitbulls - once they have something in their grip it probably ain't ever going to come loose. Rarely do I see an interesting PCL item come up for sale twice.

Old 06-27-2007, 12:23 PM
Administrator

i think that is what makes the 49 Bowman PCL issue doubly tough to acquire...not to mention the fact that folks estimate only 2000 cards to exist for the 36-card set!

The rabid PCL fan base out West has made my quest for family-related material very difficult.... but oddly, a little easier to learn about the men, because there is more information out there...there's just no one willing to part with the actual "STUFF!"

Old 06-27-2007, 02:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingbaseballgolf33

There are many Jersey uniforms out in the market - you should not have to go with replica dealers to find any. Search the internet and auctions - even local auctions (maybe to best place to find old stuff). I live in New England and it’s just a matter of being there at the right time, but you can find D&M, Spalding and other popular labels – Jerseys are a bit more difficult then other items – so keep on looking

Jimmy