NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-15-2007, 09:58 PM
Administrator

Default Illiterate ebay sellers

Posted By: Paul

This is one of the funniest examples of our failing school system that I've seen on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/JOE-JACKSON-1919-21-W514-PSA-GRADED_W0QQitemZ180159782778QQihZ008QQcategoryZ868 41QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

"Get it know!"

Old 09-15-2007, 10:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe

Do you think these sellers do this on purpose? It's a laugh.

Joe

Ty Cobb, Spikes flying!

Old 09-15-2007, 10:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

It's a result of the map shortage in the US.

Dan
U.S. American!

Old 09-15-2007, 10:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim VB

Why thank you Miss South Carolina.

Old 09-15-2007, 10:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Smith

I don't trust ANY seller that has that blue-ish sports design around their listings. I have seen more scam artists and other bad sellers with that design around their listings than I care to count or remember. It must be a staple on the hereishowtoscam-R-Us do-it yourself web page.

David

Old 09-16-2007, 06:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: TONY

did u catch that one sold for 5000 in his listing

5000 what?

Lira?
Pesos?
Dinars?
Yen?

& a lovely hi grade photo to boot, but I guess on a PSA 1 it doesn't matter much

Just proves u don't have to be a marketing genius to sell on Ebay

Old 09-16-2007, 06:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

when she was in 2nd grade. Then again, with this sort of stuff coming from the White House, perhaps our ebay friend is destined for greater things:

Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning?

Will the highways on the Internet become more few?

We look forward to hearing your vision, so we can more better do our job. That's what I'm telling you.

I believe the results of focusing our attention and energy on teaching children to read and having an education system that's responsive to the child and to the parents, as opposed to mired in a system that refuses to change, will make America what we want it to be — a more literate country and a hopefuller country.

Old 09-16-2007, 06:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Shanon Ping

Take a look at his other auctions and click on the 54' Jackie Robinson. The last phrase in the description is "God Luck".

Old 09-16-2007, 07:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

wat's rong with God Luck? I don't sea wat you meen.....

Old 09-16-2007, 07:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John S

Whether the seller's lack of ability was intentional or falsified, this type of ignorance has become more common in recent years. A higher percentage of the American population may be functionally literate than one hundred years ago, but the quality of speech and writing have generaly deteriorated. As an educator I have witnessed a change in my students' writing in the last twelve years. Fragments, slang, and text-messaging jargon are on the rise. I teach mainly seniors. It is appalling to read (or attempt to) some of their work. The true problem is that technology and quick communication methods continue to deemphasize the importance of correct grammar and useage. I cringe when I read some of these descriptions on ebay or receive an awful email from a seller/buyer.

Old 09-16-2007, 09:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

John- I'm with you. I think the only thing young students care about today is how much money they will make when they get older, and what's the quickest way to get there. The idea of reading literature for the pure joy of it is a thing of the past.

Old 09-16-2007, 10:02 AM
Administrator

I agree with you that it is appalling how many people write these days, and much of that problem lies at the feet of technology. Spell-check, text messaging, etc., all remove the need for proper grammar and usage.

But don't generalize and say it's ALL young people.

My 17 year old HS Senior just recently scored a perfect 800 on his SAT Writing test. (He did OK on Math and Verbal also.) He still uses all technology available, but has found the way to do both. He is also less tolerent of poor writing skills than I am.

I blame parents and teachers who have not required proper skill formation.

Old 09-16-2007, 10:09 AM
Administrator

Jim- of course I didn't mean all young people. I was just citing a general trend. I do however cringe when I see text messaging. But maybe all that means is I am old fashioned.

Old 09-16-2007, 11:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John S

Jim,

I never stated that all children (including my students) write in this fashion. I did however make the point that poor writing and communication skills are declining.

Old 09-16-2007, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Pomilla

And where is the concern about this? Who is demanding higher standards? Where are the groups calling for educational reform? Frankly, it's a disgrace that our government isn't addressing this. Poor leadership.

Old 09-16-2007, 12:47 PM
Administrator

John and Barry,

I know you weren't really talking about all kids, just the seemin g decline in general.

Bob,

Do you really think this is a governmental issue? The opportunity is there for all students who pursue it. I see it more as a family/parental issue for not insisting on performance.

Old 09-16-2007, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Jim,
Public schools are run by the government, after all, so it is the responsibility of government to insure and maintain high standards. Like the rest of us, government has a stake in the future of the country.

Old 09-16-2007, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

The biggest problem in America today, imo, is "parenting", or the lack of it.

Old 09-16-2007, 01:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jared

I still hate sellers who put "WOW" in the title of their auction more. The other day I saw someone put "another WOW" in the title. It sent chills down my back.

Old 09-16-2007, 01:35 PM
Administrator

I know Jared- people use WOW for items that are pedestrian and it's just so silly.

And while we are on the topic of pet peeves (are we?) one of my all-time favorites is the phrase "...and much, much more." If you have much more in your auction, list it! Are we to assume you left the best things out? I'm waiting for someone with the guts to say "that's it, we don't have any more items at all." (hey, this is good material, I wonder if Seinfeld reads this forum).

Old 09-16-2007, 01:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

I agree with most everyone's comments.

But let's remember that nobody has perfect grammar, spelling, syntax, etc. Let us also remember that some people suffer from learning disabilities, et al., so we shouldn't (necessarily) be so quick to judge people whose backgrounds we do not know.

Having said that, I, too, am appalled at the writing skills of many of my adult students and I think email/text messaging (and overall watching too much TV and playing too many video games)- are largely to blame. As well, the general attitude of schools and parents, not wanting to challenge their kids, has also contributed to such laziness.

Old 09-16-2007, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

On a personal basis, most kids I meet are polite, respectful and bright. Knowing their families, I can state that they all have active parenting and parents who value education and politeness.

My dad's a retired professor who got his Ph.d. when he was 23, and he has said that kids today have a lot more homework than he did when he was a kid, and believes the current workload isn't positive. He's a firm believer in things like gym, free time and a good night's sleep as aiding rather than detracting from learning and intellectual success. So he's an 'old school' guy who doesn't believe that kids have it easier today. He's always been a firm believer that quantity isn't a substitute for quality.

My dad's best friend, who had the office next door, was probably the most famous person in world in his field, spoke seven languages, received the National Medal of Science from President Reagan and was Knighted by the Queen of The Netherlands. You know what he did every summer? He went canoing in Canada to get away from work.

Old 09-16-2007, 01:54 PM
Administrator

The schools and the government can set whatever standards they want. If the parents don't care, the kids won't try. If they don't try, they won't be successful. The primary responsibility rests on the parents, not the educational system.

Old 09-16-2007, 02:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Smith

To all,

Part of the problem is parents don't want to be parents, they want to be friends, if they even care at all. The parents don't want to upset little Johnny or hurt little Suzie's feelings because this might bring down their self esteem.

I just read an article the other day that employers are having trouble communicating with Generation Y (born after 1979) because of the "me first" attitudes and fragile egos these people have. These employees wanted more "positive" communication from their bosses. They wanted to be told they were going a good job even if it was for menial things. The article mentioned the main reason this Generation left jobs, according to polls taken was NOT monetary but more because they didn't feel valued as a person. Their egos weren't stroked enough. The poll showed that employees who were singled out for praise (even for doing small things they were expected to do in the first place) and who were given little Cracker Jack type trophies or other little prizes stayed at their jobs more than those who didn't.

I think another BIG problem is kids today don't read enough. Forget text books or any other type of books, they don't even read the newspaper or watch news on Television. There are some times I am talking to my 16 year-old Nephew and he will look at me and say, "that's nice but I don't know what that means" or "I don't know what you are talking about". So then I have to explain everything to him.

By not reading, they don't comprehend as much or as fast and they also don't know history and how things intermingle. By not watching or reading the news, they don't know what is going on today. They don't know how that relates to other things or how it relates to the past. Conversely, they also don't know how the past relates to present events.

David

Old 09-16-2007, 02:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

David:

Same (or similar) study mentioned that employers were having difficulties with new workers who weren't able to be innovative in their approaches or take initiative when necessary. The new hires are excellent team players and get along well with others but, due to an upbringing where everything was scheduled for them, were unable to take a project and lead it through to completion. We may be doing our kids a disservice - asking them to be well-rounded and have a wide range of interests instead of finding those things that they like or in which they have success and mastering them.

Old 09-16-2007, 02:32 PM
Administrator

I also think many young kids believe the world was created yesterday. They know what's going on today, but have very little knowledge or interest in the past, even the recent past.

Do they know who President Kennedy was, or when World War II took place? Do they have an awareness of anything to do with pop culture, or films, or music, unless it is happening right now? I'm not sure about this, but I kind of wonder.

Old 09-16-2007, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

"Part of the problem is parents don't want to be parents, they want to be friends, if they even care at all. The parents don't want to upset little Johnny or hurt little Suzie's feelings because this might bring down their self esteem."

So true. Spills over to teachers and coaches, also. What's with every kid on every Little League team getting a trophy for riding pine all season? When were used to play, the team who won the League Championship would get a trophy and that's it.

Old 09-16-2007, 03:00 PM
Administrator

Jim, I'm not making this out to be an "either/or" situation, surely the bulk of responsibility lies with the parents. However, I can't absolve government of any responsibility. Don't know know how it is by you, but in NYC there are teachers who have problems putting together a coherent paragraph. Not my opinion, fact. Standards for and competence of, teachers have declined, because of the refusal of government to pay decent salaries to these most important of people, not ignoring the fact that we, as a society, would rather throw our dollars at entertainment rather than education, law enforcement, public safety, et al. It's a multi-faceted problem.

And if any of you guys point out any misspellings or errors in grammar or punctuation from me, I'm hanging myself.

Old 09-16-2007, 03:08 PM
Administrator

Bob- A+ for spelling and grammar; and good, coherent paragraph.

Old 09-16-2007, 03:10 PM
Administrator

Barry, you don't know how much that means to me. I'll put the rope away .

Old 09-16-2007, 03:18 PM
Administrator

Please Bob, no ropes!

Although Elaine did break up with her boyfriend over an exclamation point.

Old 09-16-2007, 03:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

I don't buy it that 'kids are worse than yesterday.' Your parents probably said the same thing about your generation and their parents probably said the same thing about their generation.

When I was a kid and would ask for a ride to school my dad would say, "When I was a kid I had to walk five miles through two foot drifts of snow to get to school." Of course we both knew that was bull s**t, as he grew up in a big city and probably either took the bus or got a ride from his dad.

And if the younger generation is so useless, then how come my dad relies on me for the answers to the rock 'n roll questions on his crossword puzzle ("The Edge, dad.")

Old 09-16-2007, 03:24 PM
Administrator

Barry, I think this thread has some real potential (exclamation point)

Old 09-16-2007, 03:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

To appreciate how far writing skills have fallen over the past 100 years, take a look at President Grant's memoirs -- probably the greatest memoirs ever written by a former United States president -- and compare his work to books written by our past few ex-presidents.

Old 09-16-2007, 03:29 PM
Administrator

Grant was dying of cancer at the time. It was a race with time to finish and Grant showed great fortitude and character in finishing it.

Old 09-16-2007, 03:44 PM
Administrator

Don't presidents use ghostwriters to help them with their memoirs?

I don't think our current commander-in-chief could write an 800 page book without some help (even a paragraph or two would present a daunting challenge).

Old 09-16-2007, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Bob, that's correct: Grant, bankrupt, was desperate to generate money for his family and pay off his debts before he died a horrible death of throat and tongue cancer. Mark Twain, a friend, pushed Grant to write the book with the promise to edit the work -- in exchange for Twain publishing the memoirs. Grant won the race against time and the memoirs were published after his death to great critical acclaim.

Old 09-16-2007, 06:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Craig H

You guys are not going to like this, but I can confirm about today's parents wanting to be friends with their kids instead of being hard disciplinarians because one of my friends told me that he didn't want to be like his stern father. A lot of my peers that have children appear to have that same attitude. I was born in 1977, so that makes me a Gen X (Y???). I'm not a parent but your positions on children must change when you become one because these guys think that's the right approach. I can remember that when I was a kid I needed a dad that was an authoritative role model--not a best friend. Don't figure on things changing soon if ever.

Bad grammer and composition is like developing bad habits with your golf swing. I worked in sports television for a couple of years and everyone wrote in short cut ("thru" instead of "through"). I knew I'd develop bad habits if I wrote "thru" all the time so I refused to do it. That may be why a lot of people use "your" for "you're." I swear we were taught the right way in school but a lot of my peers don't use it correctly. And I went to public school.

Text-messaging--no doubt has a negative affect. I'm not that hip to be writing in that text lexicon, so I have to write out my sentences.

I regret getting participation trophies--they're taking up space at my parents' house. It was important to have trophies(bigger was always better) when I received them as a child, but as an adult I'd rather have rings or even nothing at all. A championship is priceless.

Craig

Old 09-16-2007, 07:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris McAlister

This seller had a raw Joe Dimaggio, 1939 Play ball this past week. I wanted him to send me close up photos of the front and back and his reply was, " How much will you offer me for it?" , and my reply was I needed good photos to base a price on. I told him condition would be the gauge. His reply was sent back in all capsO.K. I WILL SEND PICTURES NOW! and of course he did not. Nasty person who takes poor quality pictures for a reason. His feedback won't be good too much longer I'm sure. As for the poor spelling, he is just an idiot.