NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-29-2003, 10:10 AM
Administrator

Default pirate tobacco pack

Posted By: david 

is there any chance that this pack does indeed contain a card. without a tax stamp how does one date the pack and even more so be able to state that there is a card inside

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4120&item=3248916605

Old 10-29-2003, 10:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Hi David
I've seen 3-4 of these packs in unopened condition and none of them had cellophane around them. Rice paper, Linen and Onion paper were used during the 20's to help stabilize the soft packs, but cellophane wasn't used until the 1930's. This Pack as obviously been rebuilt to generate more bids.

Be well Brian

Old 10-29-2003, 12:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Sam M.

The seller of that auction has a history of "building" vintage cigarette packs. He once sold a homemade Cycle "rice paper" pack and a Piedmont "unopened" pack that has the second last digit of year erased.

Old 10-29-2003, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

on a $25 pack......not sure if this counts as fraud but he's certainly not being truthful, at best....regards all

Old 10-29-2003, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

The chances of a baseball card being in there are slim and none. And slim already left town. As is the case with an unopened pack from taht era, even if there is a card, the chances of it being a basbeall card are marginal at best since most of the cards issued during that time were non-sports related.

Jay

Old 10-29-2003, 01:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ben

has anyone even seen a Pirate backed baseball card for sale (or otherwise) before? If so, details please!

Old 10-29-2003, 01:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jon Canfield

Everyone has already pretty much summed up the possibility of a card being inside... It is a nice condition box though! As for the tax stamps, I do not believe Pirate's were issued with tax stamps since they were distributed over-seas. Ben - as for your question of a Pirate baseball card... Alan Hagar had one I saw years back. I believe it was auctioned off in one of his auctions about 1996 or so. In fact, there was also the Pirate pack the card came in also auctioned off - I remember the pack selling in the $500 range - have no idea about the card... I believe the card was of Evers though (However I could be wrong!)

Old 10-29-2003, 01:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

One of our illustrious board members has a common, baseball, Pirate-backed card......they are cool looking and very rare....fortunately I don't really collect international (considered British) cards.....yet .... regards all

Old 10-29-2003, 02:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

Pirate backs are very rare in any form because they were made for overseas marketing. About a year ago I saw and stupidly did not buy a Pirate back non-sports card at a local show.

Old 10-29-2003, 03:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

I see them on ebay consistently, almost always in groups, and under $5 each. Add a search and you will be surprised (I used to search for them).

Old 10-29-2003, 03:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Hi Adam
Our buddy Art Martineau has one for sale on Ebay right now, # 2761981057.
Good luck Brian

Old 10-29-2003, 07:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: scott brockelman

yes,

i have one and it's borderline nrmt, i purchased it in a lew lipset auction of john burk's type collection a few years back. for all that don't know john burk(collectible classics) put together a very, very nice type collection before selling part off privately in anaheim(i got a fair chunk) as did mastro and lelands, (hey i would have done better but i was 3rd in pecking order) and then having lew auction the rest.

Old 10-29-2003, 07:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ty_cobb

I've seen T215 Pirate backs of Heinie Wagner, and Doolan.
I've had a look at few of the Pirate cards with the Asian
warriors on the front, the paper stock varies quite a bit, and they may have been issued over a much longer period of time than the baseball subjects.
There is no sure way to date the packs, and the chance of a baseball card inside would be next to nil.

Old 10-30-2003, 08:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Botticelli

I think everybody already knows that this pack is not from the 1912 era because of the cellophane wrapping. I just wanted to add that I bought an unopened pack from Mastro Auctions two years ago being sold by John Spencer from Fullcount baseball Cards. On the top of my pack there is no words just a tight fold. Also, on the bottom it does not read "Pirate" but says: Established W.D. & H.O. Wills, Bristol & London Bitish American Tobacco Co. LTD, Bristol, Liverpool & Virginia Successor, Made Temporarily in USA. The front and back have the same picture but on the back it does not have the writing on the side. Just a quick note to help out other collectors.