NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-23-2006, 08:56 AM
Administrator

Default Cobb, Johnson and other Texas Tommy cards

Posted By: Bryan Long

I finally got a chance to look through the last edition of OldCardboard, and the story of the Texas Tommy cards was interesting. I guess I never really knew just how rare these cards were. I didn't eve know that there was cards of Johnson, Cobb and Wagner. My question is, exactly how rare is rare when it comes to these cards. I think Ben Fisher had a Texas Tommy Mack that I remember seeing a long time ago. I rarely see one for auction - let alone a Cobb or Johnson. Are there board members that have a nice selection of these cards. How much would one cost me to have a type in my collection?

Old 05-23-2006, 09:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Wesley

The PSA 4 Wagner went for $29,458.25 in Mastro.

Old 05-23-2006, 11:45 AM
Administrator

The Mathewson. I have never seen one. Heck I didn't even know it existed. I need to start studying up more

Old 05-23-2006, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Zach Rice

E224s are rare, very rare. Only a few examples of each exist type of rare. Just a common would set you back over $2,000. There was an E224-2 Johnson that brought around $15,000 a year ago at auction. I imagine a type one would have gone for more because of the back biographies and they are larger but who knows. There was also a Baker in a Mastro about a year ago, same with a Snodgrass type two in a Lipset auction. Regarding people with collections of them, there are a few of them out there. I have the Earl Moore on my wantlist, I know of two and don't expect to own one anytime soon

Old 05-23-2006, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I know a gentleman, who wrote the OldCarboard story, that is only missing one card to finish his type 1 and type 2 sets of Texas Tommys. After trading and selling about 5 from the Trucker Boy find I only kept one....

Old 05-23-2006, 02:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Mohler

Leon: As one of the newbies on the board, could you elaborate on the "Trucker Boy" find? I am fascinated by "find" stories and would love to hear yours.

Jeff Mohler

Old 05-23-2006, 02:07 PM
Administrator

Leon that had the Walter Johnson card? I think I remember seeing it on your website some time ago. Did you sell it in Mastro or am I mistaken?

Old 05-23-2006, 02:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ben

Bryan, you are correct - I did once own a Texas Tommy Connie Mack. It was trimmed, but still one of my favorite cards that I've ever owned. Of course it was stolen along with nearly everything else last year. If I could have only a few cards back, it would be among my top choices.

As an aside (I'd rather not start a new thread on this), the 6 stolen cards that were listed on ebay last week were all recovered (a voskamps, n172, and some 50's hofers) but no leads to the thief or the remainder of my collection. I really don't want to hijack this thread, so if anyone has any comments/questions about this, please email me privately.

Old 05-23-2006, 02:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I traded the Johnson in a monumental trade deal.....and kept only the Marsans...I believe there might only be 3-4 known Marsans Texas Tommys.....

Jeff- Through an ebay deal, and then many subsequent private deals, I got the following cards from a somewhat illiterate trucker in Northern CA.....I coined it "the trucker boy" find as that is what he did for a living...there's more to the story but only over beers at the National.....here's the story...................this was around late '03- and early '04
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

aw...what the heck: ...cut and pasted from the original thread:

I believe I have seen the last small group of inherited cards from the gentleman in Northern California. It was a very informative situation
in that I got to see a nice PCL collection untainted by modern collectors/dealers. It looks like almost all of the cards have been put into a scrapbook at one time as a majority exhibit strong corners and
back damage, though many backs were spared too....... It was neat to see how they were really collected and in what type of numbers, relative to each other. I believe the only cards I missed out on were all 159 of the Colgans, Red Borders, and Tin Tops (if any), and about 5-7 M101-1/2's....Nothing I could do...they just got sold.......The total for all of the cards I got was about 732'ish. I will probably only sell these through ebay or to a large auction house. I am keeping everything I have an interest in, as utmost and foremost, I am still a collector. Including what I had posted before the grand total breakout is/was (several cards have been sold already to happy board/ebay members):

D310 (12) w/weaver fr....overall gd-vg
D311 (61) all different pr-ex
E90-1 (18) w/Jackson (pr-sold), Joss..overall pr-fr
E90-2 (1) Wagner - nice SGC 20....2 moderate creases
E90-3 (2) common and pr-
E101 (9) w/Evers, Jennings pr-fr....major back damage..
E136 Zeenut '11 (113) w/Weaver in fr...others vg'ish
E136 Zeenut '12 (36) gd-vg+/ex
E136 HR Kisses (2) gd
E136 Zeenut '13 (6) all with coupon
E136 Zeenut '14 (23) 6 with coupon 17 without coupon
E137 Zeenut '15 (67) 24 with coupon w/McMullen 43 w/o coup.w/Risberg, Lefty Williams
E137 Zeenut '16 (1) with coupon
E224 Texas Tommy (5) w/Marsans, w/uncatalogued
E-Unc Big Eater (3) w/ horizontal ex, 1 in gd-vg, 1 pr
H-unc Western Playground (40) complete set vg+
T4 Obak- (2) still unidentified but not Weaver.
T206 Old Mill- (23) w/Cobb, Evers, Chance, Willis.pr-fr
T206 Sweet Caporal ?(1) Cobb 350-460 series...pr.
T212-1 Obak (47) nice mix of framed/frameless
T212-2 Obak (116) about 25 different slogans.. pr-ex-mt
T212-3 Obak (131) w/Weaver pr-nrmt/mt
T217 Mono (8) 3 that don't have back damage......pr-gd
T222 Fatima- (7) all common, 1 high number in fr, 2 cut in half, pr....

wish I could find more of these "finds"...but will just go back to
whittling away like I have been for the past several years......
regards all