NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-02-2011, 08:07 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
Yeah, having your kids removed from your home by Law Enforcement, belittling any female who gets within 20 feet of you, scaring many females who get within 20 feet of you, scaring the hell out of your family and friends,,, fun time ??? Not my definition.
Well, I'm talking the typical normal Charlie day. Not one of his all out nutty days. Just one of his mildly sleazy kind of days.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:18 PM
J0n@th@n P@rker

I know charlie is a huge baseball memorabilia collector/fan. I know he he bought the ball that went through Bill Buckners legs in the 86 WS.
Also when Cecil Fielder was going for Home Run #50 in 1991, Charlie bought the entire left field section of Angels Stadium for a game to catch the 50th home run ball. (Cecil didn't hit it that game.)
In the mid nineties one of the museums in NY had a baseball display and many items were on loan from the Charlie Sheen collection including alot of Ruth items.

Last edited by parker1b2; 03-02-2011 at 08:18 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:38 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Is Bill Rowett Charlie Sheen?
Only if Charlie Sheen is in New Hampshire right now.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:56 PM
M@rk Lu7z

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Only if Charlie Sheen is in New Hampshire right now.
Wasn't Martin Sheen once governor of New Hampshire? Or am I confusing something?
Old 03-02-2011, 08:56 PM
Steven Finley

I'm pretty sure he owned the Planet Hollywood (Maybe it was All-Star Cafe) Wagner that was stolen and then found. REA auctioned it off a couple of years ago.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:43 PM

How can anyone defend his behavior? You have to feel for the kids here. It doesn't look like there's much stability on any end in his life. He seemed more sane on drugs at least he didn't talk about Warlocks and Ninjas.

DanC
Old 03-02-2011, 10:01 PM

I originally wrote a LONG post about Charlie Sheen but decided to shorten it to this; sociopath.

I am not a medical professional but I have read about sociopaths. Go and read about them then listen or watch a Charlie Sheen interview and decide for yourself.

An addict can be cured, a sociopath can not. If Sheen is a sociopath, he will never get better.

David Smith

PS. I don't care how much money Charlie Sheen has or WHAT he collects, he is NOT a role model or something you should want to aspire to yourself. If I had children, I would point to Sheen and say that is NOT what I want you to grow up and be like.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:47 PM
M@rk Lu7z

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctownboy View Post
I originally wrote a LONG post about Charlie Sheen but decided to shorten it to this; sociopath.

I am not a medical professional but I have read about sociopaths. Go and read about them then listen or watch a Charlie Sheen interview and decide for yourself.

An addict can be cured, a sociopath can not. If Sheen is a sociopath, he will never get better.

David Smith

PS. I don't care how much money Charlie Sheen has or WHAT he collects, he is NOT a role model or something you should want to aspire to yourself. If I had children, I would point to Sheen and say that is NOT what I want you to grow up and be like.
High standards!
Old 03-03-2011, 12:25 AM
Bilko Glasier

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks4 View Post
Oc`s as addicts call them are out of your system in 2 to 3 days ...so you can be tested once a week and "fool the system"...... that might very well be happening in Charlies case........ BAD Stuff....

The thing is, is if your taking OC's you can't stop taking them for 2 or 3 days. If you are addicted to Oxy you are taking it multiple times a day, every day. If you stop taking them for 2 or 3 days you aren't getting out of bed (or off the bathroom floor).
Old 03-03-2011, 07:07 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by parker1b2 View Post
I know charlie is a huge baseball memorabilia collector/fan. I know he he bought the ball that went through Bill Buckners legs in the 86 WS.
Also when Cecil Fielder was going for Home Run #50 in 1991, Charlie bought the entire left field section of Angels Stadium for a game to catch the 50th home run ball. (Cecil didn't hit it that game.)
In the mid nineties one of the museums in NY had a baseball display and many items were on loan from the Charlie Sheen collection including alot of Ruth items.
If I remember correctly he sold the Buckner ball.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 03-03-2011, 09:25 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

He didn't appear that he wasnt on an Opiate, ever see people on Oxy's? Even when it is dark look at everyone's pupils, you can pick a junkie out no problem. As far as his act, the nuttier he acts the more people who want to watch his every move, if he needs drugs to keep that up, he is gonna be in trouble. He has never been a straight laced guy, and aside from the drug use I think he will be fine. If he truly can kick the drugs, best of luck to him and his goddesses

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 03-03-2011, 10:33 AM

Mark,

Thank you. Like most other people, I want to be rich BUT I am not willing to do whatever it takes to get there. Here is why.

My Grand Father was born in 1911. He was one of 11 children and he lived on a farm. He dropped out of school after fourth grade so he could work on the farm and help support his family.

At the start of the Depression, he had $50 in a bank which went out of business. That was basically all the cash he had and it was gone.

After he married my Grand Mother in 1940, he had a decent job working for a paint manufacturer. Even though he was starting a family, he still sent part of his paycheck to his Mother to help support her.

In the late 1940's he bought his own farm. During the week he would work at the paint factory during the day and then come home and work his farm.

In the late 1970's, when he was retired and when prices for farm land skyrocketed, he sold most of his acreage for a large sum of money. At that time I was about 10 years old.

I was in awe of the amount of money he had and was asking him what he was going to buy me (and my sister and cousins) and what he was going to spend it on. He said he was just going to save it (he put the money in long term CD's at 10% interest) so that he and my Grand Mother would have money to live on for the rest of their lives and not have to worry where their next meal was going to come from. (My Grand Mother is going to be 91 soon, she is living in her own home and is still living off the money my Grand Father saved back then).

He then sat me down and told me his life story and what he had been through. He also told me this, "it is OK to want to make a lot of money and have nice, fancy things BUT don't lose yourself in that pursuit and don't sell your soul going after those things".

He blamed greedy people for the Depression and bank failures and for him having to work long hours all those years. He came to the conclusion that some people "lost theirselves" during the Roaring 20's. He thought that because some people got greedy, that because they didn't follow the rules or the law, because they risked too much and didn't see what was happening around them they and the rest of the country paid for it.

When this past recession hit and the reasons behind it started coming out, I thought of my Grand Father and his story. I wished he was still alive so that I could talk to him about what was going on.

David
Old 03-03-2011, 10:43 AM

Great story David.
Your Grand Father was a very smart man.

Howard
Old 03-03-2011, 12:06 PM

Hbrol,

Thank you.

One of his favorite sayings was it was good to have book learning but you also needed to have common sense.

David
Old 03-03-2011, 02:38 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctownboy View Post
Hbrol,

Thank you.

One of his favorite sayings was it was good to have book learning but you also needed to have common sense.

David
Thanks from me also, David, for relaying that story. It is so dead on accurate it's not funny.

Republicaninmass- you are absolutely correct. I have lived with people on opiates. They slur their words, are drowsy, have a dry mouth etc.....No doubt Charlie wasn't on them in interviews I saw. He definitely seems to be manic though. And I wouldn't doubt if he has opiates and meth type drugs if he wants them....No matter if he is on drugs this minute or not he does need some professional psychiatric help, in my layperson opinion.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:53 AM
Jimmy

The Messy History Of Charlie Sheen’s "Winning" Ring

Via Deadspin:

http://deadspin.com/#!5775565/the-me...s-winning-ring
Old 03-05-2011, 12:33 AM
Jim D

I thought Charlie was doing a Britney Spears impression....

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 03-05-2011, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19cbb View Post
The Messy History Of Charlie Sheen’s "Winning" Ring

Via Deadspin:

http://deadspin.com/#!5775565/the-me...s-winning-ring
There are no 1923 or 1928 World Series rings--in those years the Yankees gave out watches. An engraved pocket watch in '23 , and an engraved Hamilton "Piping Rock" model in '28.

Last edited by David Atkatz; 03-05-2011 at 07:17 AM.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:28 PM
Jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
There are no 1923 or 1928 World Series rings--in those years the Yankees gave out watches. An engraved pocket watch in '23 , and an engraved Hamilton "Piping Rock" model in '28.
Hunt sold a 1928 Lazzeri WS ring for $42,500 in 2008.

http://www.huntauctions.com/LIVE/ima...=842&lot_qual=
Old 03-05-2011, 05:37 PM

Default Rite Aid watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc View Post
I was thinking the same thing. I bet that watch is worth more than the one I got at Rite Aid.
David,
That's a classic!!
Old 03-05-2011, 05:53 PM

Default Current whereabouts of the famous '86 World Series Mookie Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
If I remember correctly he sold the Buckner ball.
FWIW, the Mookie/ Buckner ball was sold in auction to author/ composer Seth Swirsky. Swirsky has written several great books including "Baseball Letters" (1997) and "Every Pitcher Tells a Story". If you haven't ever checked out Seth Swirsky's personal collection, you owe it to look at seth.com. Unbelievable!!

Last edited by Scott Garner; 03-05-2011 at 05:55 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:32 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Scott, thanks for the link. A very impressive collection indeed.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:41 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

Honestly I follow very little reality stuff. I care very little about famous peoples lives. But the thought has occurred to me, what if he is just pulling a "Joaquin Phoenix" ?

Last edited by mcgwirecom; 03-06-2011 at 03:42 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:05 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgwirecom View Post
Honestly I follow very little reality stuff. I care very little about famous peoples lives. But the thought has occurred to me, what if he is just pulling a "Joaquin Phoenix" ?
That's occurred to me many times as well. He hasn't been the least bit camera shy, and the ratings would be through the roof if they were to bring the show back in September. Like it or not, it's the ultimate form of self promotion.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:43 PM
Richard Simon

Hey Randy how the heck are you? Who's the guy in the picture with you?.
I don't think this is a Joaquin Phoenix, if so he is in even deeper trouble than it appears.
To put his kids on the line like this just to pull a Phoenix type of stunt?
He has to be one seriously f----- up guy for that.
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 03-08-2011, 11:41 AM

Rich- Isn't it Joe. D.?

Didn't Sheen hang out with Brian Wilson, who kind of originated this lunatic act last year?

Wilson admits to being a "mental ninja".

DanC
Old 03-08-2011, 05:44 PM
Dan Bretta

Poor Andy Kaufman...his act is now known as the "Joaquin Phoenix."
Old 03-08-2011, 07:21 PM
Richard Simon

Andy Kaufman was a comedy genius. Joaquin Phoenix could not hold Andy's jock strap.
--
Old 03-08-2011, 07:53 PM

Ah, what a fool I am to give the act of giving a public alter ego that is abnormally bizarre (for attention) to the Giants closer and forget about all Andy Kaufman. Kaufman lived his role, in part. Phoenix just played yet another role as an "actor".

DanC
Old 03-08-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSquire View Post
How can you not love this guy? If that's Ruth's actual '27 WS ring I think I've fallen in man love with Sheen. What a legend.

How can you call this guy a legend? He's a self destructive idiot.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:38 AM
Jimmy

Keith Olbermann's take on Charlie Sheen...

http://keitholbermann.mlblogs.com/ar...f_charlie.html

Charlie Sheen is doing an impersonation of Brian Wilson.

Not the Beach Boy, the San Francisco Giants’ relief pitcher. The one with the beard dyed so absurdly dark that light will not escape it. The one who hit the late night circuit over the off-season dressed up as a kind of SoCal/Rex Harrison version of “The Ghost” from “The Ghost and Mrs. Muir.”

At the start, I want to promise I am rarely going to devote space here to baseball or Charlie Sheen. On the other hand, I’m technically on vacation and this rather important sidelight to an enduring, and enduringly strange, story, has not gotten much attention.

This “Tiger’s Blood” stuff Sheen keeps spouting? That’s a line of Wilson’s.The original “Duh! Winning!” That’s some more of Wilson’s act/personality/delusion/repertoire.

The Wilson-Sheen connection has gotten some national attention but not nearly enough. Wilson visiting Sheen at his home last month received the usual tut-tutting and ‘it’s not a problem – right at the moment’ from the baseball world. Wilson and his team have insisted there was no wine, no women, only baseball (no Tiger’s Blood) - and fictional baseball at that:

“They could’ve asked any other closer, but Rick Vaughn asked for me,” Wilson said. “When Rick Vaughn picks up the bullpen phone, you answer.”

That’s the deal here, of course. All Charlie Sheen ever wanted to do was be a major league baseball player. He has portrayed at least two of them on film: ‘Rick Vaughn’ from “Major League,” and one of the ill-fated corrupted players of the 1919 World Series, Happy Felsch, from John Sayles’ “Eight Men Out.” Vaughn was the fast-throwing, fast-living relief pitcher who entered each game to the sound of The Trogs’ ’60s hit “Wild Thing.”

This unleashed the proverbial life imitating art stuff. Soon, actual relief pitchers began to be accompanied by their own songs. Mitch Williams of the Cubs and later Phillies became known as “Wild Thing.” Brian Wilson’s entire ‘weird reliever’ persona owes in some part to Sheen’s portrayal. Now, in life imitating imitated art, Sheen is issuing online videos faster than Mubarak or Khaddafi, and trying to act like Wilson:

One of the people he said he wished he could be for ten minutes was Giants pitcher Brian Wilson. Sheen went on to mumble something about Wilson delivering “fury, vengeance, hatred and absolute world domination,” then bowed his head in silence for the man, for some reason.

At one point in his life, in what in retrospect seems like an almost tender time, Sheen got as close as he could to baseball by trying to buy up all the great memorabilia. In 1992 he outbid several collectors (myself included) for the baseball that went through Bill Buckner’s legs and decided the 6th Game of the 1986 World Series. Less publicly, he amassed an extraordinary card collection and had most of it housed in individual plastic holders made in the form of richly-bound books. Then there was a divorce or something and he wound up selling nearly all of it (the “Buckner Ball” included) at a loss.

I’d like to thank him belatedly for the T206 Collins Proof card, by the way.

But back to the point. There is something bizarrely baseball-related to this Ultra Mid-Life Crisis through which Charlie Sheen, or Charlie Sheen as Rick Vaughn, or Charlie Sheen as Brian Wilson, is passing.

I’m not blaming Wilson or anything. I just think we need to remember that when you grow a beard that looks like it was a prop discarded by Monty Python’s Flying Circus, you never know what the consequences might be. The Giants’ reliever might just want to warn people – especially Sheen – not to try drinking Tiger’s Blood at home.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:09 AM
Eric Shaeffer

That's a gr8 read. Thank you Jimmy for posting. Terrific line about the Collins proof card ha!
Old 03-10-2011, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ease View Post
That's a gr8 read. Thank you Jimmy for posting. Terrific line about the Collins proof card ha!
+1 Jimmy that is one awesome post and I would have to agree. Keep 'em coming bro!