NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Hockey, Olympic, Auto Racing And All Other Cards

Old 04-16-2009, 10:06 PM
Administrator

Default Took the plunge into vintage golf

Posted By: john w

Well, hello!

My name is John Wondowski and I entered into the world of vintage golf cards last night by winning Lew's 1900 Cope's set. I am very excited and am sure that it will be as fun as my boxing endeavors have become. Baseball has gotten mundane and , frankly, beyond my means for what I would like to chase.

I welcome meeting new collectors and experts as I try to learn the cardboard golf game (Lord knows the one with actual clubs was a dismal failure). refernce material is needed. Please feel free to reach out, show me the ropes, offer cards and critisism. Since I was the auction winner, I obviously paid top dollar - what are your thoughts on the final price?

All I have been able to find out about the Cope's set is that it is one of the paramount sets, tough, but not impossible. Are there scarcities within the set? My immediate goal is to upgarde the lower level cards - where does one go to do this? Scans will come afte Lew's shipment arrives.

Thanks!

John

Old 04-17-2009, 07:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason

John,
Nice pickup. I was wondering who won the set. It is definitely one of the tougher golf sets to complete. The graded singles show up on eBay from time to time. Most of the singles are graded by PSA, but you will occasionally see some SGC graded cards. I dont know of anyone that has a lot of singles for sale at this moment. Mike D. used to have an extra set available, but he might have sold it. There really isnt a lot of reference material for vintage golf cards. If I remember correctly, Bruce Berdock wrote three different books on the subject in the 90s. I personally use these as reference material and for set checklists. The most useful one is the The Price Guide to Golf Cards: Part 1 Tobacco Cards. There is one currently on eBay for $9.95 (auction # 370161565731).
Good luck,
Jason

famousgolfers@gmail.com
eBay ID: FamousGolfers
www.famousgolfers.org

Old 04-18-2009, 07:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave Johnson

I know of someone who might still have as many as 3 complete sets (all graded) of the copes for sale...and some HIGH grade examples as well. Please send me an email to sjohnson22@neb.rr.com and I can put you in touch if interested.

Thanks

Dave

Old 04-19-2009, 06:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Sarian

Hey John,

Good to see you joined the golf gang here - maybe we'll work out some trades again soon!

I just completed my 1901 Ogden's I-Base golf set, which is another nice vintage set along with the Copes set. There are 18 cards in the Ogden's set; tough to find, but not impossible. The black borders make them condition-sensitive.

Good luck with the new goals!

Scott

Old 04-19-2009, 06:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: john w

Guys,

Thanks for the responses and kind words. i am excitd to getthe setand start looking around for upgrades and new additions. I'll scour ebay and also come up with a want list.

Jason,

thanks for the heads up.

Dave,
Email sent.

Scott,
Good to hear from you - I'm sure we will be doing some wheeling and dealing.

John Wondowski
ebay: wondo
jwondowski@aol.com

Old 04-19-2009, 07:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike Dobrynio

Always great to see a new addition to vintage golf. The Price Guide to Golf Cards: Part 1 Tobacco Cards was a great recommendation by Jason. Also A Century of Golf Cards by Bruce Berdock is a nice reference tool. Great pickup on the 1900 Copes set. Not sure if Dave was referring to me with the extra Copes golfer sets or not but I do have 3 full Copes golfer sets and two of the PSA 7 Old Tom cards and the PSA 9 Old Tom card in my #1 set. Thanks Dave for the recommendation.

I will be selling some of my extra Copes golfer cards, my #1 registered 1902 Faulkner golf set and several extra cards including Bobby Jones once I have some time to list them all. I have been working extremely hard in this economic environment just to keep things moving in the right direction at work so have not been doing too much with my card collection.

Hope all is well for everyone.

Best, Mike
mcdobrynio@yahoo.com

Old 04-19-2009, 07:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave Johnson

Hey Mike!

I sent your partner in crime's email as well...wasn't sure who had the cards between the two of you. I can speak for Mike as a GREAT guy to work with here if anyone is looking for something. He always has the BEST material, and makes great finds around the globe of high quality golf cards.

Happy collecting!

Dave

Old 04-20-2009, 02:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

John,

Awesome pickup!

It is THE premier set - and is a great way to get started in vintage golf card collecting.

As far as your question on price....
I think you paid a fair price, certainly didn't overpay, and may have actually picked up at a little discount thanks to a lull in the market.

Congratulations and welcome to the golf side of things.

Joe