NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-04-2013, 08:24 PM
N.ate A.dams

I hope it's okay, but I thought I'd bump this up. There are a lot of fantastic musicians on here, I mean just listen to the links of some of these bands on here! With the influx of new members over the past year and a half, I'm sure there are plenty who would be able to showcase some talents (other than acquiring an inordinate amount of baseball cards).

Also, to Bruce Babcock, "This is What I Know" is absolutely beautiful. Brilliantly written.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:56 PM
J僃 ß@rl0w

From previous conversations, I know your dream is to sing the anthem at a Cubs game. You should submit an mp3 along with the story and link to this clip of you singing the anthem in Cubs garb with the Cardinals and a few hundred fans in the background.

Any person(s) wanting to perform the National Anthem prior to a Cubs game must submit an MP3, CD, or DVD of the musician(s) performing an "a cappella" version of the National Anthem. Submissions are accepted from February 1 to March 1 for the upcoming season. Only submissions received during that time frame will be considered. Mail your MP3/CD/DVD to: National Anthem, Chicago Cubs, Wrigley Field, 1060 W. Addison St, Chicago, IL 60613.

Quote:
Originally Posted by npa589 View Post
I want to add a few funny details about when I sang the anthem too...

It was the first home game for the Cardinals (Roger Dean Stadium), and was against the Mets. Among the people there was Mets fan Jerry Seinfeld, which is kind of funny because of something else in the story. Anyways, if you've seen what I look for on the board, I love baseball, and have been a Cubs fan since birth. I, of course, wore a Cubs shirt and was planning on getting booed. Before going out onto the field, the coordinator (who I am now good friends with) told me I had to take it off. For the sake of length, I'll just say I said "No." They offered me a free Marlins jersey (yea...right...), and I again explained "Not a chance...", giving a spiel about it being baseball, and the USA, and that the last time I checked, animosity towards another team didn't exactly decrease attendance. They called the GM of the Cardinals, and he said I definitely had to take it off because of TV contracts. They then had the GM of the minor league affiliate of the Cardinals come down and tell me to take it off, or they wouldn't let me sing. So, at this point - there are 5 or 6 different individuals looking at me with their spiffy walkie-talkies telling me I need to take it off, and then looking dumbfounded when I calmly said "Um, yea, I'm not going to take it off." Then the Manager of Roger Dean tried to get me to take it off. They then claimed they would have to pull me from singing and play the recording. I said "If you really want to play a silly recording of the anthem, and have your crowd be disappointed, by all means - go right ahead. I really am not going to take it off, I'm sorry, I'm just not."
Anyone know that Seinfeld episode where Elaine refuses to take off the Baltimore cap?

Anyways, it's palpable that they let me sing, with the Cubs garb fully visible. The thing is, is that about 2 weeks later, I went there to sing another one, and was wearing a Cubs jersey - and was told by the intern that it pissed off LaRussa something awful when I sang the anthem with a Cubs shirt on. Apparently, he called in right after the game, as did the GM and told them that they would be fired if it happened again.

Stupid Cardinals! Ha!
Old 04-05-2013, 03:31 AM
Doug

Default Keith Richards and Baseball

Great thread, and great talent here.

Been playing guitar for 40+ years.

I'd be lost without my 5 string telecaster...

Go figure.

It is what it is...
Old 04-05-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batjac1 View Post
I'd be lost without my 5 string telecaster...

Go figure.
Right on - only way to play Keef!

Cheers,
Blair
Old 04-05-2013, 12:34 PM
Jason Stricker

Default Guitarist

Been playing guitar (mostly electric) for over 20 years just for fun. I'm a huge Led Zeppelin fan, so I mostly rock out to their tunes, other classic rock and blues. My weapon of choice is my Gibson Les Paul, but have 5 other guitars (Fender Telecaster, Danelectro DC-59, Martin DM, Memphis strat, 1940s archtop).
Old 04-05-2013, 03:40 PM
Eric Perry

I played bass guitar and keyboards for a few garage bands about 15 years ago. It was a great time...at least, the parts I can remember.

I also play guitar, violin and mandolin...though not too frequently these days. Lately, when I am feeling musical, I will sit at the piano...I'm not the greatest, but still have a lot of fun.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 04-05-2013, 06:39 PM
N.ate A.dams

Thanks for the encouragement Jeff. I didn't send it in this year, but have my rejection letter hanging in my office from a few years ago. I included the story and everything. It's one of those things that's like a lottery. You probably have to know someone. The people I heard sing it at Wrigley are, for the most part, not very good at all. Wayne Messmer is just annoying to listen to, but he thinks he is really good. I think he views himself as the Cubs' Jim Cornelison, but he is not in the same category. Cornelison is an incredible vocalist, and the Blackhawks anthems are as good as you will get in the USA.

Ya'll talking about your strats make me think of one of my groomsmen. He plays his strat at our church with me.

Jason! Led Zeppelin is one of my favorite bands...great vacation music with the top down...
Old 04-05-2013, 08:34 PM
Jason Stricker

Quote:
Jason! Led Zeppelin is one of my favorite bands...great vacation music with the top down...
Amen to that!
Old 04-05-2013, 08:59 PM
Al

This is an awesome thread.

I knew about Bruce's music, but did not realize so many Net54 members were musically inclined.

I'm a music fanatic. Probably the only thing I love more than baseball.

-Al
Old 04-05-2013, 09:35 PM
Jon Canfield

Add me to the guitar players. Fender strat and a Taylor 514ce.

Last edited by canjond; 04-05-2013 at 09:35 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:10 PM
N.ate A.dams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al C.risafulli View Post
This is an awesome thread.

I knew about Bruce's music, but did not realize so many Net54 members were musically inclined.

I'm a music fanatic. Probably the only thing I love more than baseball.

-Al
Same here Al...

It's the reason I stopped playing baseball in 10th grade!
Old 04-05-2013, 10:13 PM
Ken Madden
Ken.neth D. M@dden

I used to play acoustic guitar for my own pleasure. No pro by any means, but it was always relaxing to put everything aside and pick out a few tunes. Three years ago I took a terrible fall off a small cliff onto rocks out in the woods by myself. Landed like Evel Knievel on my left wrist and head. Knocked out for some time. Wandered around disoriented for a while, but finally found my way home in the dark. My wrist and hand were broken in at least 8 places. They wanted to operate on the scaphoid bone and put it in a cast for a year, but I refused. After a year or so I tried to play again, but too much pain. I just put it down. I feel lucky that I didn't kill myself and I have about 90% use of the hand now. Still hurts everyday. I've been thinking about trying again. I guess I'm a little afraid that it won't work again and that will be it.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:24 PM
N.ate A.dams

I think I can speak for everyone here that we're glad it wasn't worse, and that you're able to share on here. If I were you, I'd definitely try again, but probably with the assistance or based on the advice of a professional therapist. I obviously don't know much about the injury, but I know motions used in therapy for hand injuries are similar to exercises used for pianists increasing the dexterity in their fingers and wrists.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:25 PM
Ken Madden
Ken.neth D. M@dden

Default Hot Tuna

5 minutes after writing that last post I flip through the channels and I find my favorite guitarist Jorma Kaukonen & Hot Tuna being introduced for a concert. I am recording. Maybe that's a sign to inspire me.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:56 AM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Nice to see that some forum members have other talents besides just collecting cards. You have a great voice, Nate.
I enjoyed the story how you stuck to your guns by not removing your Cubs shirt.

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 03-01-2018, 01:06 PM
N.ate A.dams

Hey all, after a few years off from the hobby --- spending a lot of time on Net54 has of course accompanied that return. I remembered this thread, and wanted to start it back up with a link of what I had been partially focused on the last couple years. I'm also excited to learn about more Net54 musicians. It's been nearly 5 years since this thread was active. Amazing.

At this point in time, I have two dream goals.

1. Sing the National Anthem at Wrigley (I'd love to be the default singer, and would move there to do so)
2. Play the role of Jean Valjean on Broadway.

Though this wasn't Broadway, I had the opportunity to do it locally last year. I've never fully pursued it as it's hard for me to just quit my jobs and uproot my young family. Here is a link to a profile with some links:

https://www.backstage.com/u/nathaniel-adams/media/
Old 03-01-2018, 01:53 PM

Nate, I didn't see this thread back in 2011 but I have to say I am surprised you aren't bow-legged considering the cajones it took to wear that Cubs shirt to perform at the Cardinals game!

Rob M.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:39 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Retirement Opportunity

I have owned a saxophone since grade school. In my mid-life crisis I switched from alto to tenor, but alas there have been several decades when my horn has been neglected.

Several months ago I opened my sax case and the horn was still there. I now have an 86 year old mentor who insists I still have time to learn a lot. My mentor resumed playing his sax at 66 after a 40 year hiatus.

So I now have two new goals in life,

Playing as well as Stan Getz and

Living longer than Stan Getz.

Big band, jazz and classics of the Cole Porter era are my bread and butter. I’ve begun to jam a little as well and will post a link to my first YouTube video whenever it happens.

Desafinado and the Girl With Emphysema are likely selections.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:15 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Desafinado and the Girl With Emphysema are likely selections.
That's insensatez to those of us with respiratory problems.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:21 AM
N.ate A.dams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramram View Post
Nate, I didn't see this thread back in 2011 but I have to say I am surprised you aren't bow-legged considering the cajones it took to wear that Cubs shirt to perform at the Cardinals game!

Rob M.

So...this wasn't your intent, but I am literally bow-legged. Well, my left leg is crooked due to a pelvic issue stemming from being born 2 months early. I sure do wish I were bow-legged for the reasons you suggested - haha!

Frank, I'm pretty sure we could write a book with your Net54 quotes - either with or without context, and it would be a Net Fifty-Fork Times Best Seller.

In Girl With Emphysema, is the setting of this song in a cigar lounge instead? Loose tempo with coughing solos?
Old 03-02-2018, 02:41 PM
Adam Goldenberg

Default The classics

Quote:
Haha, thanks Leon. Yea, I was wondering why it was in this forum. At first I thought, "Crap...made a mistake where I put it".

Jon and RC: Awesome. I've never really tried to pick it up, and don't play a lick of guitar. My brother and sister both do, in addition to the piano.

Adam: That's awesome. I went to University of Miami for voice, and hated that school and the whole year there. I thought about changing majors at Miami, but changed schools instead. Your grandmother must have been incredible. Did she have any favorite composers?
All the classics...Been so long now I only remember Chopin and Beethoven. I'm sure there were many more. Incredible music.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:14 PM
And.rew Whi.te

Quote:
Hey all, after a few years off from the hobby --- spending a lot of time on Net54 has of course accompanied that return. I remembered this thread, and wanted to start it back up with a link of what I had been partially focused on the last couple years. I'm also excited to learn about more Net54 musicians. It's been nearly 5 years since this thread was active. Amazing.

At this point in time, I have two dream goals.

1. Sing the National Anthem at Wrigley (I'd love to be the default singer, and would move there to do so)
2. Play the role of Jean Valjean on Broadway.

Though this wasn't Broadway, I had the opportunity to do it locally last year. I've never fully pursued it as it's hard for me to just quit my jobs and uproot my young family. Here is a link to a profile with some links:

https://www.backstage.com/u/nathaniel-adams/media/
Bring Him Home always brings a tear to my eye. Your rendition didn't disappoint. I applaude you sir.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:40 PM
N.ate A.dams

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehse View Post
Bring Him Home always brings a tear to my eye. Your rendition didn't disappoint. I applaude you sir.
I really appreciate that Andrew. Thank you. I've sung that since high school, but it takes on a completely different life when you become a father.