NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 01-02-2017, 03:04 PM
Michael

Default Mays opinion please

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-Topps-1...kAAOSw9GhYaZ39
Old 01-02-2017, 04:17 PM
Scott

don't like the implement,, but Id say Im 80 pct that it's good
Old 01-04-2017, 04:53 PM
Michael

Default Mays

anyone else? I like the look of the Mays but when I look at his other stuff, some like the Pujols don't look right. I was always taught to look at the guys other items before judging the one you aren't sure of.
Old 01-04-2017, 06:07 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

Taking a quick look at the other items, the Michael Jordan and Nolan Ryan and Bryce Harper are all awful!
Old 01-04-2017, 07:17 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

I would stay far, far away from anything that guy has. He just posted a terrible Hank Aaron. He has an Alex Reyes that looks more like David Ortiz, and he also has bad ones of Clayton Kershaw and Greg Maddux, among others to numerous for me to mention (IMHO).

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 01-05-2017, 11:20 AM
J@son.K

My own rule of thumb is, if you're questioning it and it's on a card that is in bad condition (this one has heavy creases), I would stay away. I can't help but to think some forger just wanted to salvage the value of the ruined card by adding a signature. I see this occasionally where a bad card has a signature on it and can't help but to think that way. If you were going to get Mays (or any other huge star) to sign a card, wouldn't you bring a better card to sign?
Old 01-05-2017, 12:53 PM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by djson1 View Post
My own rule of thumb is, if you're questioning it and it's on a card that is in bad condition (this one has heavy creases), I would stay away. I can't help but to think some forger just wanted to salvage the value of the ruined card by adding a signature. I see this occasionally where a bad card has a signature on it and can't help but to think that way. If you were going to get Mays (or any other huge star) to sign a card, wouldn't you bring a better card to sign?
+1

Also, does a Mays autographed card from the 60's really "book out" at $300?
Old 01-05-2017, 04:39 PM
Michael

I am trying to collect topps base cards from the 60's signed by HOFers. Price has gotten way to high on buy it now on Mantle Mays Aaron and even the lesser stars in HOF so passing on most of them. If you can get Mays for $200 you are doing well and I typically won't go higher. Was gonna make an offer but staying away now. Thanks everyone
Old 01-07-2017, 05:28 PM
Andrew

Spot on. I consider myself somewhat of an expert on Ryan autographs and you are absolutely right. The Ryan being offered by this seller is not authentic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksfan09 View Post
Taking a quick look at the other items, the Michael Jordan and Nolan Ryan and Bryce Harper are all awful!
Old 01-08-2017, 05:04 AM

this seller likely has no idea whether his items are authentic or not. No question that he has a lot of horrendous and obvious fakes. But he also has many authentic items, including a very nice Mantle signed mag cover. While I generally agree with the approach "if the seller has some fakes, then most likely everything is questionable", in this case, I would look at each signature on its own merit, and with regards to the Mays, I believe it to be authentic.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:33 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Default Mays opinion please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrier8HOF View Post
this seller likely has no idea whether his items are authentic or not. No question that he has a lot of horrendous and obvious fakes. But he also has many authentic items, including a very nice Mantle signed mag cover. While I generally agree with the approach "if the seller has some fakes, then most likely everything is questionable", in this case, I would look at each signature on its own merit, and with regards to the Mays, I believe it to be authentic.

I disagree 100%. I believe they are knowingly selling fakes. Some of them are so atrociously awful anyone would be able to tell they are fake if you showed them authentic examples and then the bad ones.

Last edited by HOF Auto Rookies; 01-08-2017 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:41 AM

that may very well be. But the point is not whether or not they are knowingly selling fakes. The question was on the authenticity of the Mays item. Just because this seller has obvious fakes (knowingly or not), does not mean the Mays is fake by association.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:46 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrier8HOF View Post
that may very well be. But the point is not whether or not they are knowingly selling fakes. The question was on the authenticity of the Mays item. Just because this seller has obvious fakes (knowingly or not), does not mean the Mays is fake by association.

Ok...but my point was in reference to your comment which you missed I guess (stupid text ). You said they aren't knowingly selling fakes, I said they are.

Of course, I never said the Mays couldn't be authentic. I personally don't like it. I don't like the first letter. But, it doesn't pass the piss test for me.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:12 AM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

This is my 1996 auto'd Mays card (reprint of 1966 Topps), for what it's worth as a comparison…

196maysauto.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.