NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-19-2011, 07:33 PM
Phil Garry

Although the postcard-back exhibits were produced over several years, the Foxx and Grove examples in question could not have been produced until after 1927 based on the uniforms, since these are large-size cards it is possibe to make that determination without needing Net 54 experts to agree with me.

I am not necessarily doubting that the W560 series was produced later than 1927 but am not sure what the exact date is.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:48 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb View Post
Although the postcard-back exhibits were produced over several years, the Foxx and Grove examples in question could not have been produced until after 1927 based on the uniforms, since these are large-size cards it is possibe to make that determination without needing Net 54 experts to agree with me.

I am not necessarily doubting that the W560 series was produced later than 1927 but am not sure what the exact date is.
I'm gonna side with Phil on this. When there is evidence based on uniforms that a card could not have been produced before a certain year(especially in a multi-year run), then you have to go with it, basing each card individually on it's own characteristics. Whereas, with the w560's, there is evidence to support the fact that they could've been produced over a few years, but nothing to support any claims of a definitive starting point. And apparently '27 came from somewhere, so we gotta trust it until proven otherwise. We could call it 1927-29 w560 for now, but couldn't definitively call it simply 1929 w560...
Old 09-20-2011, 06:59 AM
Dan Paradis

Quote:
Originally Posted by novakjr View Post
I'm gonna side with Phil on this. When there is evidence based on uniforms that a card could not have been produced before a certain year(especially in a multi-year run), then you have to go with it, basing each card individually on it's own characteristics. Whereas, with the w560's, there is evidence to support the fact that they could've been produced over a few years, but nothing to support any claims of a definitive starting point. And apparently '27 came from somewhere, so we gotta trust it until proven otherwise. We could call it 1927-29 w560 for now, but couldn't definitively call it simply 1929 w560...
OK, understood. My opinion would be if there was a question, why not list both cards? However, it's Phil's call.

Phil, here is the link to the thread regarding 1932 US Caramel having to be issued in 1933. This would mean that any player that has a 1932 US Caramel as their RC should also have their 1933 Goudey listed as an acceptable RC.
http://www.network54.com/Forum/15365...+lis%20%20ting

One more question: for the HOF'ers who have 1904 Allegheny listed as their RC, there's a second acceptable RC card listed. Is this because there is only one Allegheny for each HOF'er known to exist?

Last edited by DanP; 09-20-2011 at 07:00 AM.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:16 AM
Phil Garry

Dan:

Yes, the Alleghenys are unique so I listed a second card for those players as per someone's request earlier in this thread.

Listing a second card for the W560's with the set's date in question isn't a bad idea, I will go ahead and work on that today.

The only US Caramel RC is Lefty Gomez so I will go ahead and list his 1933 card(s) as alternative RC's.

Thanks again for your input!
Old 09-20-2011, 07:58 AM
Dan Paradis

Quote:
Dan:

Yes, the Alleghenys are unique so I listed a second card for those players as per someone's request earlier in this thread.
Phil,
Ted Lyons, Red Ruffing (1924 Diaz Cigarettes); I believe there is only one known copy for each player (Mark, RustyWilly has one of them). Similar to the Allegheny RC's shouldn't these two also have a second card listed?

Chic Hafey (1928 Star Player Candy); Only 1 graded (by SGC). I've never seen one, have you? Could we also assume there's only one know copy?

Hack Wilson (1925 W504); Early Wynn (1948 Safe-T-Card/Gunther Beer Postcards): Pop 0 for PSA and SGC; I've never seen one (for any player), can't be many around?
Thanks

Last edited by DanP; 09-20-2011 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Added: Hack Wilson, Wynn
Old 09-20-2011, 04:30 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanP View Post
OK, understood. My opinion would be if there was a question, why not list both cards? However, it's Phil's call.

Phil, here is the link to the thread regarding 1932 US Caramel having to be issued in 1933. This would mean that any player that has a 1932 US Caramel as their RC should also have their 1933 Goudey listed as an acceptable RC.
http://www.network54.com/Forum/15365...+lis%20%20ting

One more question: for the HOF'ers who have 1904 Allegheny listed as their RC, there's a second acceptable RC card listed. Is this because there is only one Allegheny for each HOF'er known to exist?
I agree about listing both cards. But that's where a list like the one you were working on comes into play. As it not only list the "true" rookie cards, but also "latest acceptable" rookie cards, with everything in between..
Old 09-20-2011, 04:34 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Phil, is there any chance you could list the 1939 Goudey premium as Joe Gordon's rookie? I just think it would be a little more effective for the list, rather than a multi-year release, especially since they both at least started in the same year.

Also, I know there's ways to date the later exhibit runs, but is there any way to pin down the exact years on the salutations?
Old 09-20-2011, 05:20 PM
Matt Wieder

R303A should be listed for Teddy ballgame.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:43 PM
Larry

Quote:

That's a very interesting bit of research, and quite worthy of consideration here. I think that what we'll probably see in terms of $$$ values and various contenders for "rookie" status sometime down the road are significant premiums placed on a number of very early cards of HOF'ers, as some of the very earliest cards of certain HOF'ers are so rare that they may well turn out to be "unobtainium" for all but a very, very small handful of collectors. Kind of like what's happened with the 1914 Baltimore News Ruth versus the M101 major league rookie. Throw a 1917 Collins-McCarthy Ruth in that mix too! If this was one of my appellate briefs, I'd also probably say something like, "in accord, E90-1 Joe Jackson vs T210 Jackson." Regardless of which actually came first, I like the 1926-1929 Grove over the W560 based purely on eye appeal--same with the Foxx. Just my personal preference.

May your collecting be good and the wind be at your back!

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 09-19-2011 at 09:59 PM.