NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-16-2007, 05:18 PM
Administrator

Default O/T - Any electricians (or electrical engineers) out there? Simple question for you . . .

Posted By: JK

I dont know if we have any electricians or collectors with an electrical background, but thought I'd give it a try:

Im replacing a light switch that controls a bank of 4 recessed lights. There are 2 other switches that control the same bank of lights (ie three switches in various locations will all turn on/off the same set of lights). Here is my question:

Do I need a 3-way switch or a 4-way switch to replace the one currently installed?

Old 01-16-2007, 05:23 PM
Administrator

Default O/T - Any electricians (or electrical engineers) out there? Simple question for you . . .

Posted By: barrysloate

That's about the most off topic question I think we've ever had...and I have trouble changing a light bulb, so sorry but I can't help.

Old 01-16-2007, 05:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

How many Vintage card geeks does it take to change a light bulb?

Old 01-16-2007, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jackgoodman

Cobby you beat me by 4 minutes. D#@$###m.

Old 01-16-2007, 05:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim James

Four ,three to a determine the cost of the bulb, one to screw it in .

Old 01-16-2007, 05:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Josh, I'll call down to the handyman or super on call in my building; you'll have to tip him though. (NYC humor)

Old 01-16-2007, 05:32 PM
Administrator

Let me know if you have any problems hanging pictures !

Old 01-16-2007, 05:33 PM
Administrator

I knew I'd be getting close to the most off topic question ever, but I figure its my first in 3 years, so Im due.

Jeff - if you can reach him that would be great - just tell me where to send the tip.

Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

Sorry Jack- Been waiting for this opportunity for some time

Oh and Josh- I'll ask my electrical consultant tomorrow a.m. if you don't have an answer by then. I need a client billing # though...

Administrator

Man, what a bunch of comedians.

Old 01-16-2007, 05:34 PM
Administrator

Cobby - I'll send you one of our billing #s.

Old 01-16-2007, 05:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

I don't know jack about electricity. But I do know that it takes more than four collectors to change a light bulb.

You have to add at least two to debate the authenticity of the light bulb, two more to decide whether the light bulb would be more reliable if it were evaluated by a third party, and about 148 more to debate where to have dinner to discuss it.

hee. That was fun.

Joann

Old 01-16-2007, 05:41 PM
Administrator

This could easily surpass the " mega thread " !!

Old 01-16-2007, 05:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

Why don't you just replace the switch with a "like" (similar) switch?

Try the following link for a start:

http://www.howstuffworks.com/three-way.htm/printable

Old 01-16-2007, 05:49 PM
Administrator

I think there is an episode of the Three Stooges where they get jobs as electricians...if you can get a hold of it you might get some valuable tips.

Old 01-16-2007, 05:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

First... see what kind of switch you have there now (*if you are comfortable/know how to do this).

Then check with an electrician to see if it is the proper type of switch to go there (you wouldn't want to repeat someone elses mistake).

googling 4-way switch has a bunch of info, but even so... ultimately ask an electrician.

**One tip I can give you... if you have any 'lighting' supply stores near you (chandeliers and such) - they usually have an electrician on staff.

Old 01-16-2007, 05:53 PM
Administrator

Thanks - I know how to change out the switch - just never had one until we moved into this house that had three switches controlling the same light.

Old 01-16-2007, 05:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tony Andrea

Hey JK - This might help.

A 3 way electrical switch and 4 way electrical switch can be confusing to understand. A 3 way electrical switch installation is done to control a light from two different places. A 4 way switch is used with a 3 way switch for three or more control spots.

Tony

Administrator

Barry - already rented that episode - unfortunately, it was not detailed enough.

Administrator

Posted By: Brad Green

I believe that you need two three-way switches and one four-way switch. I will post a picture in a minute...

Old 01-16-2007, 05:56 PM
Administrator

Thanks Tony - I thought it was something like that. So, let me ask you this (if you know). If I will ultimately be replaceing all three switches controlling the bank of lights, do I need 3 four-way switches or two three-way switches and one four-way switch (or should I just pony up for an electrician)?

Old 01-16-2007, 05:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

Actually, it just takes two collectors to change it. One to change the bulb and the other to say " It must have been a PSA bulb, because if it was an SGC bulb it would never have gone out".

Old 01-16-2007, 06:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brad Green

Old 01-16-2007, 06:01 PM
Administrator

Thanks Brad - that's exactly what I needed.

Old 01-16-2007, 06:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tony Andrea

JK -
You'll need (2) 3 ways and (1) 4 way switch.

Tony

Old 01-16-2007, 06:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Burke

most likely, you have two 3-way switches and one 4-way in between. the easiest way to do it is just replace the switch you take out with an exact replica and place the wires in the same place as the ones you remove to take out the old switch. Of course, it will be easy to spot the replica, especially by people on this forum. take the switch you remove to home depot and ask them to give you a match.

Old 01-16-2007, 06:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Kravitz

You would use a 4 way switch. A 4 way switch controls 3 switches and the fixture, a 3 way switch would control 2 switches and a fixture. If you have a dimmer on one that would be the master and the only one that could control the dimmer option. You will need to turn off the circuit breaker (unless you know what you are doing) because all switches are live unlike a fixture that is not because it is controled by the switch. It's only 110v so don't worry about the shock, just make sure you are not standing in water. I am a licensed contractor in Chicago. Good luck Dan

Old 01-16-2007, 06:08 PM
Administrator

You guys just kill me, I knew there was a reason that I kept coming back here !!

Old 01-16-2007, 06:13 PM
Administrator

Josh- in the Three Stooges episode I think Moe turns on a light switch and the shower goes on...I'm glad somebody on the board can help you. If you left it up to me I would start a fire!

Old 01-16-2007, 06:14 PM
Administrator

Thanks all - I think Ive got what I need now.

Dan - great tip about the circuit breaker (fortunately, that's the one thing I do actually know).

Old 01-16-2007, 06:19 PM
Administrator

Hey ! Just make sure you don't have any vintage cards in you other hand .They might come back as "AUTH" !!

Brad ,way to come to the plate !!!

Old 01-16-2007, 07:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Glen V

Have a friend help you, then you can do this:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4982604918871571225&q=shock+electric&hl=en

Old 01-16-2007, 07:29 PM
Administrator

That's what I'm talkin' about !!!

Edited to say: My dad had me try a switch as my mom watched,with much the same reaction !!

Old 01-16-2007, 07:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

Josh -

Ask the question on here

http://www.improvenet.com/homeowner/adviceandresources/messageboard/electrical-lighting.html

Old 01-16-2007, 08:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

B) Did I win the million dollars ?!?!?

Old 01-16-2007, 09:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave

I'm a little late to this post, so I won't actually give much of an answer. I actually am an electrical engineer, but that doesn't mean I've ever been taught in any school about things like house wires.

Having said that, I can always figure out what each switch is doing in house walls. Single, two-way, N-way, each has its details, but they're not hard.

Follow advice given here. If it ever worked right, the right switches were there. Try to find the bad switch (that's not always easy), and replace it with one just like it.

You have to beware of the insulation colors on these switches; often they are different from the wires in your house where they get connected. So, beware realy doesn't help, but before you take out the old one, write down the house wire colors and the switch colors, and match that.

Old 01-16-2007, 10:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: anthony

sorry, you're all wrong on this...

step 1. open bottle of beer
step 2. sit on couch and stare at switch for 45 mins
step 3. open another bottle of beer.
step 4. call an electrician.

Old 01-16-2007, 10:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ramram

Ok, civil engineer here, so not much help, but....I have to throw out my gear-head joke now. If easily offended, don't read on.

(Edited to say - it was a joke appropriate only for the late night crowd. Figured I better remove it now).

Rob M.

Old 01-16-2007, 10:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

Six.

One to take the new bulb out of the box.

One to yell at him because the bulb is no longer "mint in box".

One to say it couldn't possibly be an authentic bulb if it hasn't been graded.

One to say that only a nitwit needs a grading company to tell him that his bulb is authentic; simply smelling it should do the trick if he had any knowledge of electricity to begin with. Plus we all know that high-grade light bulbs have all been altered.

One to buy the old bulb, which is a better bulb anyway because it's been loved and has stories to tell.

And one to bitch at the other five because it's not a prewar light bulb and shouldn't be discussed here anyway.

-Al

Old 01-16-2007, 11:15 PM
Administrator

Since everyone is waiting anxiously to find out the results, I have replaced all the switches (no bad ones - just going with a different style than came with the house) without an electrician and more importantly, without electrocuting myself.

Thanks to all that helped . . . and, I guess, those who provided the humor.

Old 01-17-2007, 04:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

Hahahaha. Al - that one is priceless. Good laugh to start out my day.

J

Old 01-17-2007, 04:22 AM
Administrator

Josh- just out of curiosity: you are an attorney and I assume as such have a pretty heavy workload. How do you have the time and energy to rewire your house until 2:15 AM (time of your last post). Do you ever sleep?

Old 01-17-2007, 06:51 AM
Administrator

Barry,

1:00 to 1:30 am is about the norm for me. Last night was a bit later than normal, but not too bad.

Im also amazed that this thread generated 42 posts - I wish all the card threads could get this type of response.

Old 01-17-2007, 01:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: S Gross

True story:

My two way switch blew in my old kitchen. I bought a new one, but the old one was old, old (no ground, different color wires etc.). So the new instructions weren't relavent, and I had already taken the old one apart when I realized I should have remembered the set up. Anyway I rewire the new set to the old wires the best I could figure. I turned the electricity back on, and no explosions or fire, so I figure I'm set ....

Then I go to turn on the switch which was for the lights, and, no kidding, the blender turned on !!!!!!!!!!

I told my brother, and he said "I could live with that."

Old 01-17-2007, 01:41 PM
Administrator

That is pretty damn funny.

Old 01-17-2007, 01:46 PM
Administrator

I'm going to guess that somehow the blender was left on and that outlet wasn't working until you repaired it; otherwise, it is like that Three Stooges bit- turn on the light switch and the shower goes on!