NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 08-27-2017, 04:54 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Default Is Aaron Judge Headed for the Best Single Season with 200 Strikeouts?

He has a chance ; He's at 178K as I type this.

Here are some other players' seasons to compare:

Mark Reynolds 2009

155G-578AB-98R-150H-30D-1T-44HR-102RBI-.260BA-.349OBP-.543SLG-.892OPS-24SB-9CS-76BB-223K

Chris Davis 2015

160G-573AB-100R-150H-31D-0T-47HR-117RBI-.262BA-.361OBP-.562SLG-.923OPS-2SB-3CS-84BB-208K

Several players have had similarly outstanding seasons in spite of 199 Strikeouts:

Ryan Howard in 2007-08 ; Adam Dunn in 2011 ; Chris Davis in 2013 ; Kris Bryant in 2015

I've always been amazed at how high some players BAs are in spite of huge numbers of strikeouts ever since Bobby Bonds set the then-record of 189 whiffs but managed to hit over .300!

-

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 08-27-2017, 09:19 AM
Nick Barnes

per fWAR the best 200k season is Davis in 2015 with 5.6 fWAR and 148 wRC+

in 2013 he was worth 7 fWAR with 199 K's and a 168 wRC+

Judge's defense rates better boosting his fWAR but he's presently hitting 160 wRC+ so he has a good shot of besting Davis' 2015, been slumping lately tho

Last edited by bravos4evr; 08-27-2017 at 09:19 AM.
Old 08-27-2017, 10:08 AM
Scott Russell

Have we really lowered the bar on Judge this far lol?

Acutally it's a neat question, but we've gone from Babe Ruth to Chris Davis in 2 months.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 08-27-2017, 10:16 AM
Nick Barnes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Have we really lowered the bar on Judge this far lol?

Acutally it's a neat question, but we've gone from Babe Ruth to Chris Davis in 2 months.
to be fair, the Ruth comparisons were insane. MLB is full of guys who had monster first halves to their rookie season and never did that well again. I suspect this will be the best all around season he has, but that power/defense combo will play well enough for him to be a solid 3+ fWAR annually, but he is going to K a ton.

and to be fair to Davis, he was one of the best players in baseball 2013 and 2015.

Last edited by bravos4evr; 08-27-2017 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:25 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravos4evr View Post
to be fair, the Ruth comparisons were insane. MLB is full of guys who had monster first halves to their rookie season and never did that well again. I suspect this will be the best all around season he has, but that power/defense combo will play well enough for him to be a solid 3+ fWAR annually, but he is going to K a ton.

and to be fair to Davis, he was one of the best players in baseball 2013 and 2015.
I think that's right, and if they have not already, his card values are going to drop tremendously from their giddy peak.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:45 AM
Nick Barnes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I think that's right, and if they have not already, his card values are going to drop tremendously from their giddy peak.
If he keeps hitting 40 bombs a year, being a Yankee I think his value will stay up.

I don't collect modern tho,except for the odd Braves prospects, so not sweating it!
Old 08-27-2017, 06:39 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Aaron Judge is in the category of Adam Dunn, Ryan Howard, and Dave Kingman. People need to pump the brakes on this guy, great potential talent, but still a lot of work ahead to show.....Someone last month compared him to Mickey Mantle, that is beyond humorous....

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 08-27-2017 at 06:49 PM.
Old 08-27-2017, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
Aaron Judge is in the category of Adam Dunn, Ryan Howard, and Dave Kingman. People need to pump the brakes on this guy, great potential talent, but still a lot of work ahead to show.....Someone last month compared him to Mickey Mantle, that is beyond humorous....

Totally agree, Kevin

- by the way, I just purchased 10 Hoskins rookie cards. LOL

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 08-28-2017, 07:34 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Considering home many homeruns have been hit this year, a 40 homerun guy who bats in the .270s is valuable but hardly historic. But since he's on the Yankees he will get hyped well beyond that.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:43 AM
Peter Spaeth

Looks like a Judge card sold recently for $18K plus.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aaron-Judge-...0AAOSwTApZbmGF

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:

...from the same seller I got my M116 Walter Johnson a few weeks ago.

I think I did better...for a lot less.

-

Old 08-28-2017, 10:36 AM
Peter Spaeth

The Judge wasn't even a "1/1" but rather a 1/10. Of course there are probably 100 different 1/1s.

Old 08-28-2017, 03:27 PM
Nick Barnes

Quote:
Judge has the edge on those guys because he both plays good defense and is a good base runner which boosts his value tremendously and makes him more playable.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:07 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:

It's hard to believe, (but each to their own), that someone would spend $18K, on August 13th no less, on an Aaron Judge card.

I can only assume this $18K from the buyer was like having $18.00 dollars in our pockets.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:35 PM
Nick Barnes

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
It's hard to believe, (but each to their own), that someone would spend $18K, on August 13th no less, on an Aaron Judge card.

I can only assume this $18K from the buyer was like having $18.00 dollars in our pockets.
no kiddin, If I had the $$$$ to spend $18k on one card it better say Ruth, Mantle or Cobb on it!
Old 08-29-2017, 12:10 PM
Steve Birmingham

If any of you feel the need to blow 18K,(Or 9K or even 3K, maybe even less) I'll happily make you a nice piece of furniture that with decent care your kids kids can use.

Heck, for 18K I can have the CNC router carve Judge into it too.

Steve B
Old 08-29-2017, 02:45 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
If any of you feel the need to blow 18K,(Or 9K or even 3K, maybe even less) I'll happily make you a nice piece of furniture that with decent care your kids kids can use.

Heck, for 18K I can have the CNC router carve Judge into it too.

Steve B
As we speak, the Yankees Manager just announced that he was going to bench Judge for a few games.....
Old 08-29-2017, 03:41 PM

Did he? From what I read he was giving Judge tonight off. He's already said Judge will play one of two games tomorrow at DH.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:02 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Did he? From what I read he was giving Judge tonight off. He's already said Judge will play one of two games tomorrow at DH.
Maybe I misspoke, but the one on ESPN I saw was what I thought was being said that he was being benched for the next few games. If he only plays in one game tomorrow, that would still be sitting two of the next three games. Having said that, I think he is only hitting .179 since the All Star break, is that correct?

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 08-29-2017 at 04:02 PM.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:24 PM

Quote:
As we speak, the Yankees Manager just announced that he was going to bench Judge for a few games.....

new nickname: ALL SIT DOWN

yuk-yuk

Old 08-29-2017, 06:27 PM
D@le Irv*n

Yankees manager Joe Girardi finally has run out of patience waiting and waiting and waiting for rookie right fielder Aaron Judge to hit his way out of a second-half slump.

A first big drastic decision was made Monday:

Judge was benched for the Yankees' series opener against the Cleveland Indians at Yankee Stadium and he's probably going to sit out Tuesday night's game against the Tribe as well.

http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/...now_for_2.html
Old 08-31-2017, 02:00 AM
Bill Gregory

The Judge purple chrome refractor auto that shows sold at $18k is back up for sale by the same seller with an $11,550 BIN price.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 08-31-2017, 01:17 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

How are you doing Bill? Nice to see you're still around!!!!

I stay FAR away from the new stuff, and look only for cards between 53 and 73.
Old 08-31-2017, 02:56 PM

Welcome back, Bill. How's the collusion going?

Old 08-31-2017, 06:22 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
The Judge purple chrome refractor auto that shows sold at $18k is back up for sale by the same seller with an $11,550 BIN price.
Long time no post, Bill. I was just wondering about you the other day?
Hope all is well, or is at least going much better!

With that $18K Judge card. I assume the buyer backed out/cancelled, or is there maybe something else going on?
Old 08-31-2017, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Totally agree, Kevin

- by the way, I just purchased 10 Hoskins rookie cards. LOL

Since my super powers which, to date, had only effected folks in line behind me at banks and grocery stores, and Hoskins has not homered since my lot of RCs arrived, feel free to warn me if you see a hot player and don't won't me to ruin his future.

FYI- I had not 'loaded up' on Aaron Judge cards...I only have what I pulled from packs last year. So, I won't take credit for that one.

-

Last edited by clydepepper; 08-31-2017 at 08:54 PM.