NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-12-2013, 11:15 AM

I find it utterly and almost comically bizarre that rather than set up a website or mail-in guidebook in order to educate collectors about what to look for in manufacture patterns and pack sequencing, Jose would instead choose to create fake packs to slip by PSA in order to prove Steve Hart's inability to spot fakes, then allegedly sell them to unsuspecting customers for profit. ??? As if THAT will help the hobby and allow collectors to make educated decisions when buying these packs? ???? It simply does not compute. At least not to a sane person....

Last edited by CW; 05-12-2013 at 04:28 PM. Reason: to add the word allegedly ;)
Old 05-12-2013, 11:32 AM
Jeff

It's an amazing hobby we have.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 05-12-2013, 03:23 PM
Dan Marke1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW View Post
I find it utterly and almost comically bizarre that rather than set up a website or mail-in guidebook in order to educate collectors about what to look for in manufacture patterns and pack sequencing, Jose would instead choose to create fake packs to slip by PSA in order to prove Steve Hart's inability to spot fakes, then sell them to unsuspecting customers for profit. ??? As if THAT will help the hobby and allow collectors to make educated decisions when buying these packs? ???? It simply does not compute. At least not to a sane person....

Did Jose admit or was it ever proven that he sold the fake packs? In one of his recent posts, he claims all of the fake packs he graded are still in his possession.

Last edited by WhenItWasAHobby; 05-12-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:47 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhenItWasAHobby View Post
Did Jose admit or was it ever proven that he sold the fake packs? In one of his recent posts, he claims all of the fake packs he graded are still in his possession.
I also read the same thing, that Jose still has the fake ( fraudulent ) packs. Good for him if he still has the packs, it does not sit well with me that he has made someone, Steve Hart, out to apparently be bad at their job. That is PSA's decision to make, as Steve's employer. Steve may, in fact, be very good at his job. Jose, you have NOTHING to be proud of or to gloat over. The way this has been handled by you is very dirty in my opinion.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:52 PM
Peter Spaeth

The truth of the matter is that anybody skilled enough, be it in packs or cards, can get alterations past even the best of authenticators, especially given that they aren't operating crime labs but making low-tech judgments for short money. If Steve Hart catches most bad packs, then that is probably the most one can realistically hope for.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:15 PM
Jose Vazquez
Jo.se Vazq.uez - Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRfan1 View Post
I also read the same thing, that Jose still has the fake ( fraudulent ) packs. Good for him if he still has the packs, it does not sit well with me that he has made someone, Steve Hart, out to apparently be bad at their job. That is PSA's decision to make, as Steve's employer. Steve may, in fact, be very good at his job. Jose, you have NOTHING to be proud of or to gloat over. The way this has been handled by you is very dirty in my opinion.
Lou,
at some time last year Steve and i exchange several emails on the matter
and at the end i did offer to discuss it face to face so i could show him
his mistakes, but he elected not to and that was the last communication,
i have been a star pack dealer/collector since december 1969 which is
even before he was born,,,,,you would think i know what i'm talking about!

Last edited by pepis; 05-12-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:27 PM

Default €hû¢k Wölƒƒ

Quote:
I don't know what he has admitted or not admitted, but I did read this post from this thread. Judging from previous statements, and the fact that he was creating fake packs in the first place, I am not sure if I can trust either Jose's statements or his sanity at this point. I guess I can edit my post to say "allegedly" selling fake packs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepis View Post
Matty
i sold many graded packs to people (customers) in fact i sold you
a couple of them and when you found out about the FBI investigation
you acted like a scared boy and dump them to someone else, instead
of confronting me and PSA on the matter, as far as you know you sold bad packs to other people.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:29 PM

Interesting read.

Somewhere along the line it's alleged that the person grading the bogus packs was also selling packs that he himself graded. Is there hard proof of that?
Old 05-13-2013, 03:56 AM
Dan Marke1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW View Post
I don't know what he has admitted or not admitted, but I did read this post from this thread. Judging from previous statements, and the fact that he was creating fake packs in the first place, I am not sure if I can trust either Jose's statements or his sanity at this point. I guess I can edit my post to say "allegedly" selling fake packs.
Yeah, this thread will never win any awards for coherency, and the second quote to Matty could be interpreted a number of ways, but if Jose did cooperate with the FBI, as he claims in Post #161, there doesn't seems to be any findings of wrongdoing on his part, but only the FBI allegedly admitting that clearly bad packs were graded and there was no crime in that.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:10 AM
Mike Bodner

Quote:
Yeah, this thread will never win any awards for coherency, and the second quote to Matty could be interpreted a number of ways, but if Jose did cooperate with the FBI, as he claims in Post #161, there doesn't seems to be any findings of wrongdoing on his part, but only the FBI allegedly admitting that clearly bad packs were graded and there was no crime in that.
So I guess yet another question is did the FBI destroy the packs? Did Jose contact the FBI or someone else? I'm not sure how much the FBI wants people creating fake items to only say "I'm conducting my own investigation". I bet they hear that one alot.

All I know is I would never trust someone trying to create bogus items for any reasong. Why not just approach PSA if they see bad items and offer information to why they think it's fraudulent. That seems more an asset to this hobby than spending time creating fake items.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:58 AM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

Jose is starting to sound more and more like Peter Nash...
Old 05-13-2013, 08:28 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

I'm late to the dance, but if all Jose did was to pass some bad packs by PSA with the intent being to show that they didn't know what they were doing, and never sold any of these packs, he did nothing wrong. In fact, he pointed out a weakness in the hobby. Sounds like the TV station that passed the bad autographs past some of the autograph authenticators a few years ago to show that they were error prone (at best). When will people learn that if they can't authenticate what they buy themselves, they shouldn't buy?
Old 05-13-2013, 08:42 AM
Dan Marke1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmrson View Post
So I guess yet another question is did the FBI destroy the packs? Did Jose contact the FBI or someone else? I'm not sure how much the FBI wants people creating fake items to only say "I'm conducting my own investigation". I bet they hear that one alot.

All I know is I would never trust someone trying to create bogus items for any reasong. Why not just approach PSA if they see bad items and offer information to why they think it's fraudulent. That seems more an asset to this hobby than spending time creating fake items.

I have no idea what has happened to the fake packs.

I think one major detail that Jose took issue with is that there there was a long thread on the CU Board that exposed the problem in December 2010. The issue then was that a 1973 Topps Cello pack had a 1974 or 1975 Topps wrapper. See Post #42 on this thread.

In typical fashion when grading problems surface, CU/PSA deleted the thread but I was able to recover it with the Google Cache feature, but now I see those links don't work anymore. See Post #91 on this thread. I'm now curious to know exactly how those Google Cache links were deleted? Did PSA contact Google? I believe Jose's point of doing all of this was to see if they fixed the problem during that two year period and it appears they didn't.

I also just noticed in this thread that at least one bad graded pack was supposedly listed on Ebay two years later in December 2012 (a month before this thread started). But the auction listing did mention the pack was bad. See Post #49 on this thread. It doesn't say exactly who the seller is, but I'm guessing it was Jose.

As I've been saying for years, someone needs to grade the graders, otherwise how else will we know how competent they are?
Old 05-13-2013, 02:37 PM
Jose Vazquez
Jo.se Vazq.uez - Banned

Quote:
I have no idea what has happened to the fake packs.

I think one major detail that Jose took issue with is that there there was a long thread on the CU Board that exposed the problem in December 2010. The issue then was that a 1973 Topps Cello pack had a 1974 or 1975 Topps wrapper. See Post #42 on this thread.

In typical fashion when grading problems surface, CU/PSA deleted the thread but I was able to recover it with the Google Cache feature, but now I see those links don't work anymore. See Post #91 on this thread. I'm now curious to know exactly how those Google Cache links were deleted? Did PSA contact Google? I believe Jose's point of doing all of this was to see if they fixed the problem during that two year period and it appears they didn't.

I also just noticed in this thread that at least one bad graded pack was supposedly listed on Ebay two years later in December 2012 (a month before this thread started). But the auction listing did mention the pack was bad. See Post #49 on this thread. It doesn't say exactly who the seller is, but I'm guessing it was Jose.

As I've been saying for years, someone needs to grade the graders, otherwise how else will we know how competent they are?
Don,
i have a friend with much or the hole thread in a disk in pics
here you have a couple of very key pictures of the thread in which CU member maggyman uncovered the fact that the FAKE schmidt pack came from Steve Hart himself
he authenticated his own bogus pack had it graded by the Co. he works for and sold the fake pack himself and instead of coming clean and owning the mistake he tried
to covered up.

Last edited by pepis; 06-09-2013 at 02:00 PM.