NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-07-2011, 12:33 PM
Louis
Louis Wi.ese

Default T3 Reproductions

Do any members have any of the T3s being offered on ebay by Mike Wheat Cards? If so, what is your opinion of them? Lastly, what is the difference between these cards and the current Topps "retro" issues that so many members find disturbing? Thanks for your opinions.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:00 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

I have the Cobb, Matty, and Walter Johnson and I can tell you they are done TOP SHELF!!! Very Nice!! Don't know about the Topps issues, except for the fact that the Mike Wheat cards are actual size repros of the original with the exception of a small starburst on the lower corners on the back. Same thickness and size. Awesome!!
Old 02-07-2011, 06:42 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Default they are great!

Old 02-08-2011, 08:53 AM
Tony Quinn

Default Strange IMO

Not judging either way, but it's funny how one post about reprints (this one) will garner all types of accolades for how accurate and beautiful the repro job is and yet on another thread (the Topps one), people will crucify a company for reprinting cards. Again, please, not bashing or condoning, just making an observation. I would appreciate any feedback positive or negative of your opinion.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:56 PM
Louis
Louis Wi.ese

Default Ditto

That is exactly my point Tony.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:04 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default beauty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnsryche View Post
Not judging either way, but it's funny how one post about reprints (this one) will garner all types of accolades for how accurate and beautiful the repro job is and yet on another thread (the Topps one), people will crucify a company for reprinting cards. Again, please, not bashing or condoning, just making an observation. I would appreciate any feedback positive or negative of your opinion.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Unless it devalues (which has been suggested, though I think is debatable) the originals, it still strikes me as odd why folks don't want others to have harmless fun. If you don't like something just don't look or partake. It's not that difficult. I think these T3's look very nice.....None of the reprints, or fantasy new (old) pieces are my cup of tea. If others enjoy them then more power to ya'. No skin off my teeth. BTW, I do have a few reprint sets that have been given to me....still not my cup of tea though. best regards
Old 02-08-2011, 01:15 PM
Tony Quinn

Leon, I agree with you, if you like reprints, great, if not, great. I just want to clarify my point that just take a look at some of the venom being spewed at Topps for reprinting some cards and yet others talk glowingly about these. I have a problem with neither, although on other threads some have expressed concern with doctoring reprints to pass off as real. These would seem to qualify for that more than an off sized or glossy version of the original. Again, I'm not trying to start a witch hunt against repros (that's been overdone), I am just wondering where the line is drawn with some collectors on this issue.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:16 PM
qualitycards

As Greg pointed out they are the same size & thickness as a real T3, and via a scan & to the untrained collector can be easily fooled.
I wish they would have dated them 2007 (or whenever they were made) or but a bold "REPRINT" on the back.
Only the starburst in the bottom 2 corners as Greg stated differentiate them from the originals.
Also the real ones have a different finish, like an oil painting gloss.

Here's is the Mike Wheat one on top and a real T3 on the bottom without the "starbursts"

Old 02-08-2011, 02:19 PM

Default Good points all

Good points have been raised by all with regard to this posting.

Personally, I like Mike Wheat's T3 reproductions very much. I was fortunate to pick up a near-set (lacking one card but with an extra card of one player) on eBay more than two years ago for something around $300. It is the nearest I will ever get to owning the real thing. Even if I should fall into a set - or two - for the proverbial song, I probably "could not" hang onto it knowing the dollar value just 100 cards represent. (Now, if a T205 or T206 set should come my way, that would be different.)

But... as has been pointed out, these are so good they will fool many possessing limited experience with the originals. A reprint date - possibly with MWC (Mike Wheat Cards) added - would make it at least a bit difficult for the dishonest to ply their trade.

One final point: the Mike Wheat Deadball Exhibits are another terrific product but with the one flaw of being possibly confused with early Exhibits.