NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-04-2012, 06:36 PM
And.rew Whi.te

Default Its not pre-war but I think its cool

I know we have plenty of autograph guys on here so I figured I would post this.

I came across something I forgot I had and re-found at my parents house. During most of the 80's I worked for the Chicago Cubs and before the memorabilia boom they had a habit of cleaning out files and tossing stuff out. I had a habit of dumpster diving and very often came away with some cool stuff. I really wished I had saved everything I found but i could only keep so much.

Myself and my cohort....who is now a very big shot with another Chicago professional team, came across a few of these sheets from when the team finally tossed out the files of the former traveling secretary, Robert Lewis. These sheets were for the weekly expense money the players received in spring training. they had to sign this sheet to signify that they had received their pay. This form features a beautiful early Ernie Banks auto as well as a few other Hall Of Famers like Kiner and Garagiola. (at least I think he is in the broadcasters wing). As near as I can tell this sheet was for the 1954 spring training which would put this at Banks' first full season and his rookie season.
I always thought this was so cool and will probably frame it with a team photo or a collage of baseball cards from whoever had a card at the time. I had 4 of these sheets and this was the one that had the most signatures on it. I believe the others I gave away or sold back in the 80's. They didnt have nearly the same signatures on it and have now probably been cut up and placed on cards by those memorabilia raiding card companies.

I just thought you guys would like to see it. FYI...the paper is a brighter yellow and the signatures are more bold than the scan shows. I am not sure why my scanner washed them out some.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:57 PM
Scott

That is ONE AWESOME piece
Old 01-04-2012, 07:27 PM
Tim Caravella

Wow... Very cool!!!!
Old 01-04-2012, 07:37 PM

Me likee!!
Old 01-05-2012, 07:28 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Outstanding! I love seeing stuff like this.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:37 PM
D Marvin

"Weekly player allowence of $25.00"

Thats a great piece of history! Thank you for sharing
Old 01-06-2012, 02:04 PM

Nice! Love the story behind it too!

Ricky Y
Old 01-06-2012, 06:38 PM
qualitycards

Andrew neat piece, thanks for posting.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:52 AM
Bilko Glasier

Just curious.... So what would $25 in 1954 equal to in today's world?

Very cool piece btw!
Old 01-07-2012, 10:43 AM
And.rew Whi.te

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilko G View Post
Just curious.... So what would $25 in 1954 equal to in today's world?

Very cool piece btw!
Good question

I believe todays players get like 65 bucks a day in meal money during the season while on the road. It would be interesting to find out what 25 bucks means in todays money
Old 01-07-2012, 10:50 AM
Anthøny N. ex

according to the inflation calculator, $25 in 1954 is equal to $200.43 in 2010 (the last year it calculates to).