NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-08-2007, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Default Too many off topics again....suggestions?

Posted By: JK

I think we can reverse this trend by simply not making OT posts that have nothing to do with baseball, and more directly, 19th century baseball. An occasional truly OT post is also fine for regular contributors IMO.

Old 05-08-2007, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Murray

so will you please stop bidding!!!

Old 05-08-2007, 12:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

But have people noticed. It is the O/T posts that sometimes get the most attention. Is that good or bad.

Peter

Old 05-09-2007, 08:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

Peter,

At what point do you realize what this board is here for?

VINTAGE BASEBALL CARDS

It is pretty straight forward, if you want to discuss other subjects find another forum. It has actually been quite nice lately with what I can find as only 3 O/T threads since this was pointed out and was started by you.

Can you give it break and go with the main subject?

Lee

Old 05-11-2007, 05:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John Kalafarski

Yes, I've noticed the threads have returned to dead ball era cards almost exclusively. Not even Goudeys or Delongs or Diamond Stars or Batter Ups. Heaven forbid someone brings up Jackie Robinson cards. Or the great '52 Topps. E93 beaters: that's the ticket. Bloody awful dull.

Old 05-11-2007, 05:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

Wondering why if you find pre-war material so dull what the reason is your even here? I'm sure the CU boards you could have a field day talking about Jackie Robinson, Duke Snider, and even Felipe Alou.

Old 05-11-2007, 05:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Murray

but then thought better of it.

This is from an ebay listing. And you thought I had "Rules".

Warning! Danger, Will Robinson! Danger!

Items DO NOT come from a smoke free, petless, hermetically sealed home. With respect to eBayers who are living the American Dream with a chicken in every pot, 2 cars in the driveway, 2.5 children in a spacious home, and so on—I am not living that life. The cramped apartment (with no driveway or covered parking in Minnesota) smells like a bar, and has a very fuzzy black and white cat who roams freely (and who once threw up in my shoe). This means items WILL smell of smoke and there will probably be cat hair floating around. In addition, old paper items are sometimes musty (Frankly, I'M allergic and am constantly sneezing). If any of the above is a problem for you, PLEASE do not bid.

In response to a recent e-mail from an eBayer who did not bid but felt the need to lambaste me for my warning section and chide me for making her lapse into a coma, I should change the above statement to "Please do not bid, and not bidding without comments is preferable."

In addition, if you think you may be overcome by a compulsion to mention unpleasant odors in feedback—or to ask for your money back—then it's a problem for you and you should refrain from bidding. And for those eBayers who have not heeded my warning to refrain from commenting on the smoky odor in feedback and warn other eBayers to read the disclaimer…sigh. Sigh. Sigh.

In response to numerous inquiries: No, I am NOT kidding about the above, though you are just as likely to get some of my hair tapped to the package as the cat's hair. You will recognize it because it is long, curly, and thick. Have I mentioned that my essay "Jewish Hair" is going to be published in a literary journal? (Update: The world of lit journals is so slow, I'll be experiencing female pattern balding before I finally see my words on the page. In fact, one piece that was accepted five years ago—yes, five years ago, just came out in print.)

In response to another inquiry: No, your item does not include dust bunnies, but I don't know how many ways to say that you're going to get some cat hair and/or my hair. I will, however, endeavor to ship as little hair as possible. I am considering shaving the cat and my head before my warning section grows to book length.

Sigh. In response to three recent incidents: A couple of ladies have nicely suggested that I put the smoking warning first because they get all excited but then can't bid. Another nice lady bought from me and then saw the warning. Listen peeps, I'll always, always, always refund your money if you are not satisfied—whatever the reason for your dissatisfaction—but I gotta say that I'm getting a little frustrated. I think I'll write an essay about eBay, which would definitely includes the lines, "If I ever found myself describing an item as 'shabby chic' or 'cottage chic' or, God help me 'chippy'—I'd make an appointment for deprogramming. I will also NOT inform you that something is 'collectible.' I think we're all smart enough to know what we collect and what we don't. And finally, I will not list items week after week and year after year that say I am selling my 'ex-husband's baseball collection.'"

I have resisted writing this next paragraph for a long time, and I'm sighing heavily now as I type: For the foreigners: I love you, I have lived among you in various countries over my lifetime and no, I will not ship out of the U.S. at the moment because it is a time consuming hassle and eBay is not my "real" job—if it were, I'd be living in a tent and stealing food out of my cat's mouth. Sending me argumentative e-mail or telling me that, "Other sellers ship outside the U.S." is not going to change my mind. I'm sorry. Have your American pals bid for you and I'll be happy to send it to them.

While we're on the subject of shipping, my shipping costs are extremely reasonable and always listed. I use First Class mail when it's 12 oz. or under, flat rate envelopes for over 12 oz., and flat rate boxes for my heavy lots—and I almost ALWAYS COMBINE SHIPPING for items ending within a week of each other. Please refrain from sending me e-mails that ask me to ship things by pony express, (or whatever new/better/different way that you want me to send items) or e-mails that ask, "Why is shipping so much more [$8.10] on this lot, when it's only $4.05 on the other???" Not only do I resent the extra question marks, which imply I'm trying to rip people off, (or am stupid) but if said bidder had read the description, said bidder would not have had to send me this charming little question. Ok, ok, the description is long and one might be forgiven for missing pertinent information, but I'm holding my ground on what the extra question marks imply. The polite way to question shipping charges that seem so extreme that you're sure the seller has his/her head in a dark place is to say, "I'm wondering if the shipping charge of $10.00 for the 2 postcards you have listed is correct." Sadly, it probably is right and the seller is getting around eBay fees by charging an absurd amount for shipping. Personally, I just suck it up and pay eBay's fees rather than stick it to the unwitting, unconscious, or untried bidder.

Regarding tactics employed by eBayers that do not work on me: Repeatedly asking me to list something RIGHT NOW that I've said I don't have RIGHT NOW, doesn't work. DEMANDING that I do X, Y, or Z also does not work. While I am extremely accommodating and almost always say, "Yes" to requests, demands are just…strange. (And while I don't want to turn away business, I'm not the only seller on eBay.) Last time I looked, I was not an indentured servant.

Packing: I pack items to withstand a nuclear holocaust. I often use odd packing material. I've been known to use dresses (always cute ones), batik wall hangings, holiday hand towels (always in excellent condition). Don't worry, I WILL NOT use a disposable diaper (used or unused) which was how somebody sent me an item once—at least it was unused and had cartoon characters on it for that added bit of class.

P.S. Thanks for all the "fan mail" about my warning (and also the "reward/mercy" bids—a few people have told me that they bid on my item just because they liked my warning essay). Between eBay and my deadly dull day job (tech writing) I'm not getting any of my own writing done and must use my creative writing skills in my listings. I did finally get the blog going a few months ago with links to stuff of mine that's been published so if you're interested:

12/31 update: Had to remove the link to my blog from my listings. Someone actually turned me in and I had a listing canceled. Man, what a spoilsport.

Cat update: Eddie-Small-Devil Kitty caught wind of my threat to shave him and has taken to glaring at me with a malevolent eye. Not only that, he's taken to crouching by my head when I'm sleeping and yowling in my ear.

Cat update 2: Worse than the evil eye: one night last month, I awoke to find Eddie staring at me. In his mouth, a dangling live mouse—which he then dropped in the bed with me as a little token of his love.

Cat update 3: I've gotten a ton of e-mail asking what happened after Eddie deposited the mouse next to me, so here's the rest of the story. When I saw the furry little rodent inches from my face, I sighed, sat up, and sighed some more. While trying to figure out what to do, dear Eddie picked up the mouse, jumped off the bed, and ran out of the room. When I got to the living room, he was batting it around, looking slightly bored. The mouse took refuge in my backpack, which fired Eddie up again. Eddie nosed around but the mouse was hiding under the pile 'o stuff I carry around with me. I waited for the mouse to come out, picked it up with a towel, and took it outside. Poor little guy wasn't in the best shape and may have gone to the happy hunting grounds in the sky where the mice are cat-sized and the cats are mouse-sized.

Cat update 4: I went to Albuquerque to buy a loft in the old 1938 Albuquerque High School building and had to leave poor little Ed alone in the apartment for two days—for the first time in the ten years of his life. He is now completely traumatized and follows me everywhere. My next worry is him yowling all the way to Alb. in the car. My worry after that is him falling off the 2nd floor of my new loft (no wall, just a railing).

Old 05-11-2007, 06:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John Kalafarski

Hi Dave, I like the way the board is. I would miss the discussions about the pennant race, Bond's not really breaking the record, the hand painted cards of Monty Sheldon, and so many other mostly baseball related things we've discussed. If the focus becomes reduced to pre-war, I would ask what war? To me, a Yogi Berra '50 Bowman is not only beautiful, but vintage. People need to look up the word vintage in the dictionary. The '50 Drakes are great cards, but we can't talk about them here. If the board is reduced to pre 1945, I will be left to wonder, like Robert Frost, "what to make of a diminished thing."

Old 05-11-2007, 08:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

In case you missed the header about what this board is about:

Hello to all visitors! This is a moderated forum for the discussion of primarily Pre-WWII baseball cards and related topics. If you are posting for the first time, please read our list of Forum Rules on our "Rules" page before proceeding. The forum will be moderated mainly to keep its focus. You can directly contact the moderator here if you have any questions or comments. Enjoy!

I think it tells all, why can't people confirm and want to change it?

Lee

Old 05-11-2007, 08:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

This board has not been reduced to Pre-WWII it has always been this way. It's the way our founding fathers had it and it's the focus of this board currently. There are many other places to talk about other stuff. With that being said I don't think we've ever said anything much about an occasional 1950's card or two (at least when there's not an abundance of off topics going at the same time).... It's off topic and ok
regards

Old 05-11-2007, 09:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

Maybe there's enough interest for a network54 post-war thru 1960 or 1970 or whatever board

Old 05-11-2007, 09:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

Alan..your right..maybe there is enough interest...there is probably enough interest for 80's junk too...but certainly Leon and Brian shouldn't be responsible for creating all this...and catering to that crowd. the memorabilia forum was great..but it was a related subject...anything else..just isnt..IMO.

Old 05-11-2007, 10:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: mr. moses

I saw that auction. It was it believe an auction for everything he owned and as he listed every item it came up on one of my searches. Pisch in my pants funny and I was surprised it didn't end up on youtube or whatever-maybe Jay leno.....

Old 05-11-2007, 10:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ken McMillan

How about 20 lashes with a wet noodle for going off topic. Or maybe the off topicee should walk a cardboard plank off a cardboard pirate ship....Suggestions

Ken