NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-13-2016, 02:44 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Tell us of your experiences in completing (or near completing) your T206 set(s) ?

I will start with mine....in 1980 Bill Heitman published the first comprehensive book enlightening us on "The Monster"....as he coined it.
In 1981, I acquired my first T206 card......

. .

Chase was the start for my 1st T206 set, which I completed in the early 1990's (absent Joe Doyle, Plank & Wagner). This set consisted of
a random mixture of T-brand backs. It comprised of 521 cards (including Magie). I sold this set to a Net54 member in 1997.

I started collecting T206's again in 1999 and completed a 520-card set in 2004. This set's T-brand make-up included almost all the backs,
except for Broad Leaf 460, brown Lenox, brown Old Mill, and (if you will) Ty Cobb back.

In 2006, I broke up the above 2nd set in order to put together an all PIEDMONT set of 520 cards (absent Plank & Wagner). This 2nd set
included 171 cards with the PIEDMONT backs. With a 33% head start on this project. I acquired another 33% of the PIEDMONT cards that
I needed for this set by trading with Dave Czuba my cards with other backs for his PIEDMONT's. I completed this adventure November 11,
2006 (Magie was acquired subsequently). And, this set includes a "poor-man's" Joe Doyle error card in it.

In 2007, I embarked on quite a tough challenge to complete an all SOVEREIGN set. It proved to be a real challenge, because unlike the
PIEDMONT set, I had to figure out which subjects were the numerous NO-PRINTS in the SOVEREIGN set (which were unknown in 2007).
November 1, 2007, I completed the all SOVEREIGN set. A complete SOVEREIGN set comprises of 402 different subjects. In this process,
I generated a list of 122 subjects that are SOVEREIGN No-Prints. This list of SOVEREIGN No-Prints has stood the test of time.
Also, within this timeframe, I acquired the rare SOVEREIGN 460 cards of 5 of the 6 super-prints (thanks to Scot Reader). But, it took me
another 4 years to acquire the 6th super-print (red Cobb)....thanks to Larry Harris.

I followed up these 4 sets with an all SWEET CAPORAL, Factory #30 set. I was in no hurry to complete this T206 set. I completed it in
2 years. It comprises of 467 subjects (no Plank & Wagner). The SWEET CAP No-Prints in the Factory #30 set number exactly 55 subjects.

Many of you who have been on this forum since I joined (April 2005) know about my T206 sets. So, I'm reprising this info for the benefit
of the new Net54 members who haven't heard my story.

Hey guys,
Those are my story's....so, let's hear of your T206 adventures in completing your T206 set(s). I'm sure you have many interesting stories
to share with us.

TED Z

Last edited by tedzan; 03-20-2020 at 03:30 PM.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:48 PM
Dustin Bellinger

Completing those sets is an great accomplishment. Thanks for sharing the story Ted. I only own 1 T206 and doubt I would ever attempt such a large task as the Monster but I greatly admire those that have set out to accomplish something as ambitious as this and succeeded.

Collecting Hall of Famers and players with Nebraska connections.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:09 PM
Sean Costello

What is a "poor man's" Joe Doyle error card?
Old 03-13-2016, 11:39 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

I got fatigued with my effort ending at 100. I have since sold off more than half...clearing the way for me to upgrade my Mantle and Koufax cards.

I think I lost my appetite for T206 when I realized how different my choices (PSA-5 or better) were from from most of the collectors on this forum.

From what I have witnessed, most would rather have a dog-eaten copy with a rarer back than a beautiful Piedmont. I just cannot bring myself to have any poor condition cards in my collection.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 03-13-2016 at 11:44 PM.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:42 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
The poor man's version has DOYLE, N.Y. while the very rare one reads 'DOYLE, N.Y. NAT'L'

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 03-14-2016, 12:07 AM
Keith
ke.ith tem.ple

Default Started the set around 1984 with Jack Bastian, Piedmont back.

Sat with three cards for three decades. For some reason I hung on to these three cards. Liquidating my childhood, and then some, collection in 1985 to "fund" a divorce attorney, the collection bug bit me again in 2012 around the time I formally retired from the work force, moving to the Eastern Sierras. There is not a card shop or show within 225 miles of our place, so I acquired the next 515 cards, with duplicates, thru Internet auctions and the BST here on Net54.

I called my collection the Old Fool collection, the graded cards I once owned still reflect on the SGC Registry. Guess I should take it down. Too bad SGC doesn't offer a retired feature like PSA. I sold the set thru LOTG last year.

Sure miss my Cobbs. So I guess I'll be happy with Mr Clemente for now.
...whatever I want
Old 03-14-2016, 06:26 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post

Sean

A small percentage of the regular Joe Doyle cards have a small "printer's mark" on its caption exactly where the "N" of "Nat'l"
was originally printed.

I posted a thread on this back in 2007, in which this mark was discussed and we arrived at the conclusion that in their haste to
erase the word "Nat'l" from their printing plate, American Litho left this mark. Shortly thereafter they removed it. I ran a 4-year
survey of Joe Doyle cards....upon sampling 364 cards, only 22 of them had this printer's mark (6 %).

Anyhow, here is a scan of Joe Doyle with this printer's mark......

PRINTER's MARK............../\

TED Z
Old 03-14-2016, 10:46 AM
An$on

Got to 520 last year with a mostly low-grade set. For me, this site was what was really the catalyst for it and I doubt I would have pursued that set without it. Seeing all of the photos, back combinations, etc., of cards owned by members was too much to resist.

Initially, I put it together as an investment while consolidating my collection drastically. But in all honesty, it will be hard for me to ever give them up. I've even started hanging onto my duplicates now so that if the time comes where I need to sell, I can start with those! I thumb through my binder nearly every day, am constantly upgrading cards, and am fascinated by them.

I'm not saying I'd never sell them. After all, it's still only cardboard. But for me, they've really gone from an investment to a personal treasure.
T207 (200/200)
E90-1 (118/121)
E90-3 (20/20)
E91A/B/C (85/99)
E93 (17/30)
E95 (12/25)
C59-61 (149/248)
N28/N29 (83/100)
W545 (158/200)
1901-02 Ogden Tabs (1,327/1,560)
1933-41 Goudey (265/478)
1934-36 Diamond Stars (53/108)
1939-41 Play Ball (368/473)

Complete: E47, E49, E50, E75, E76, E229, K4, N88, N91, R136, T29, T30, T38, T51, T53, T68, T73, T77, T118, T218, T220, T225, W512, W513, W542, W552, W565

Founder:
www.prewarcards.com
Old 03-14-2016, 12:09 PM
Andrew Aronstein

Great thread. I can tell you that by 1970 may dad already had 510 cards from the set. He was 30 years old that year and used to buy T206's in lots. Bought his first Wagner in '72 and another in '74. Not sure what year he actually "completed" the set but it was during that period. He had at least one variation of every card, including the Magee error and several other oddities.

At the bottom is his bio from "Who's Who in Card Collecting" from 1970:

Old 03-14-2016, 04:30 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoebox View Post
Completing those sets is an great accomplishment. Thanks for sharing the story Ted. I only own 1 T206 and doubt I would ever attempt such a large task as the Monster but I greatly admire those that have set out to accomplish something as ambitious as this and succeeded.
Hi Dustin

Thanks for your kind words. Once you start collecting these white-bordered cards you are "hooked". The Monster has you. I guess it's why I continue putting together sets.

I liken this to those classic lyrics in that popular 1970's Eagles song......

"you can check-out any time you like; but, you can never leave"

TED Z
Old 03-14-2016, 06:00 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

I started collecting cards again in 1988 when my oldest son brought home a pack of Donruss, and a couple years later I stopped buying new cards. In 1991 I got my first PC and with a handful of other collectors on the "Prodigy" network, formed OBC collecting club.

Twenty plus years later I'd completed most of my pre 1981 Topps, Bowman, and Fleer baseball football basketball and hockey sets. Like other OBC members, I became more interested in pre-war cards, and many of us have ended up here on Net54.

I joined Net54 in March 2013, and after the '13 Chicago National posted on the "Monster Number" thread with 152 different cards. After the '14 Cleveland National I checked in with 370 different cards. At the '15 Chicago National I picked up 45 hits and this got me to 484. I "completed" my set at 518 different 2/19/16 Shag Shaughnessy was the last needed card. So it took me about 3.5 years to complete my set.

I have my cards in a binder and will slowly upgrade some of the worst condition cards. I had to "crack" out 73 slabbed cards along the way Right now I have them in alphabetical order, but keep thinking they would look neat in team order. Here is a picture of my Cobbs page:

I remember learning about the Joe Doyle N.Y. Nat'l card, and after checking my binder, it appeared that I might have one? I know one in a million chance. It looked to me like back in 1911 some kid said "He's not an NL player" and scratched off the Nat'l part.

I sent the card off to my son in law who is a scientist, and he took a picture of it under magnification. Ted do you remember the thread I posted about this?

Anyway lots of fun, and thanks to all the Net54 members who helped me along the way, and a special thanks to Frank and all the guys that post on the "Monster Number" thread.

Larry
Old 03-14-2016, 06:36 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Hi Larry

Thanks for chiming in with your T206 set story. And yes, I do remember your Joe Doyle thread (it was posted about a little over 2 years ago).

Say, were you at Mark Macrae's and mine booth last summer at the National ?

TED Z
Old 03-14-2016, 06:38 PM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default T206

Awesome Thread here !
Old 03-14-2016, 07:14 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
Say, were you at Mark Macrae's and mine booth last summer at the National ?
TED Z
Yes I was there Ted and bought a few cards too!
Larry
Old 03-14-2016, 07:49 PM
Brendan Mullen

Here is my poor man's Joe Doyle. Still cost me a pretty penny....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (11.1 KB, 569 views)
Old 03-14-2016, 07:50 PM
Brendan Mullen

Close up. My iphone doesnt post great pics here for some reason. They all come out very small. But in real life, part of the "N" from "Nat'l" is extremely easy to see.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (7.3 KB, 564 views)

Last edited by Bpm0014; 03-15-2016 at 07:47 AM.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:17 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLarry View Post
Yes I was there Ted and bought a few cards too!
Larry
Hey Larry

I just realized that you were my very first customer on Wednesday when the National opened to the public.

My recollection is that I sold you the Kleinow (Boston) and Smith (Chicago & Boston) T206 cards.

Will you be at Atlantic City this Summer ?

TED Z

Last edited by tedzan; 03-15-2016 at 07:23 AM. Reason: Correct typo.
Old 03-15-2016, 08:58 AM
Brian clif.ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLarry View Post
I started collecting cards again in 1988 when my oldest son brought home a pack of Donruss, and a couple years later I stopped buying new cards. In 1991 I got my first PC and with a handful of other collectors on the "Prodigy" network, formed OBC collecting club.

Twenty plus years later I'd completed most of my pre 1981 Topps, Bowman, and Fleer baseball football basketball and hockey sets. Like other OBC members, I became more interested in pre-war cards, and many of us have ended up here on Net54.

I joined Net54 in March 2013, and after the '13 Chicago National posted on the "Monster Number" thread with 152 different cards. After the '14 Cleveland National I checked in with 370 different cards. At the '15 Chicago National I picked up 45 hits and this got me to 484. I "completed" my set at 518 different 2/19/16 Shag Shaughnessy was the last needed card. So it took me about 3.5 years to complete my set.

I have my cards in a binder and will slowly upgrade some of the worst condition cards. I had to "crack" out 73 slabbed cards along the way Right now I have them in alphabetical order, but keep thinking they would look neat in team order. Here is a picture of my Cobbs page:

I remember learning about the Joe Doyle N.Y. Nat'l card, and after checking my binder, it appeared that I might have one? I know one in a million chance. It looked to me like back in 1911 some kid said "He's not an NL player" and scratched off the Nat'l part.

I sent the card off to my son in law who is a scientist, and he took a picture of it under magnification. Ted do you remember the thread I posted about this?

Anyway lots of fun, and thanks to all the Net54 members who helped me along the way, and a special thanks to Frank and all the guys that post on the "Monster Number" thread.

Larry
Love seeing the t206's in binders! Would love to see more pages, great stuff.
Old 03-15-2016, 12:02 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Ted, Your cataloging and collecting the T206 sets that you have in the past (particularly those elusive Sovereign reverses) is more than noteworthy; it must have been an odyssey, an expensive but highly satisfying one. You probably know much more about the famous Doyle history than I, but I do recall when I first starting sniffing around T206's (around 3 yrs old), there was no such error card. I believe, as the story goes, Larry Fritch ran across one with the Nat'l designation and then put an ad in SCD to buy any and all such cards and, voila, 1 or 2 appeared from the woodwork and a very expensive baseball card was born. Don't you love this s#@t? Ted, do you remember when Keith O., Alan Rosen (who?) and SGC all got into a 3 way dog fight about a graded Doyle Nat'l that had been altered, and not very well.
As I recall, it got very nasty. John
Old 03-15-2016, 01:07 PM
Brendan Mullen

My story:

My last name is Mullen. Bought a George Mullen (Mullin) portrait when I was about 13 back when I used to collect cards. I've always loved the autographs and memorabilia and never truly quit collecting, but I really didn't have any cards. Fast forward about 20 years and I find the Mullen card and tell myself "It would be pretty neat to put that set together". That was about 4 years ago. I'm a fairly big gambler, and whenever I have a good week (or good day at the poker tables) I buy almost anything T206 related. I have a cool collection of T206 player game used bats, 2 game used gloves, and I'm up to almost 500 cards (and I'm always updating/upgrading). For complete accuracy, I've also had 2 rough weeks gambling and sold some realllllllly nice cards haha. But I have all of the Southern Leaguers, all of the "commons", and some of the scarce/tough ones. I keep them all in a binder. Long story short, I need about 20 more.....
Old 03-15-2016, 01:29 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinsfan94 View Post
Love seeing the t206's in binders! Would love to see more pages, great stuff.

Here is a page out of my all SOVEREIGN set. All my T206 sets are in loose leaf binders. The cards are arranged in order of the T206 series timeline (150....350....So Lge....
350/460....460-only).

Graded cards are identified as this SOVEREIGN 150 Walter Johnson is.

TED Z
Old 03-15-2016, 08:03 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Ted, Your cataloging and collecting the T206 sets that you have in the past (particularly those elusive Sovereign reverses) is more than noteworthy; it must have been an odyssey, an expensive but highly satisfying one. You probably know much more about the famous Doyle history than I, but I do recall when I first starting sniffing around T206's (around 3 yrs old), there was no such error card. I believe, as the story goes, Larry Fritch ran across one with the Nat'l designation and then put an ad in SCD to buy any and all such cards and, voila, 1 or 2 appeared from the woodwork and a very expensive baseball card was born. Don't you love this s#@t? Ted, do you remember when Keith O., Alan Rosen (who?) and SGC all got into a 3 way dog fight about a graded Doyle Nat'l that had been altered, and not very well.
As I recall, it got very nasty. John

Hi John

I well recall that Rosen / KO fiasco. I was at the BB card show in Philadelphia where the setting for that scenario began. It was the Summer of 1990 (or 1991), Alan Rosen
had his usual booth at the entrance of the show. And, 707Sportscards were at the nearby booth.

An original collection of T206's in an album "walks-in" to Rosen. As usual Rosen quickly flips thru the plastic pages, and asked the guy what he wanted for the entire album
of T206's. The guy replies with a number, and Rosen says...."too much".

Then the guy walks over to 707Sportscards, and Jimmy carefully looks thru the cards in the album. He spots the Doyle Nat'l card in it. And of course, 707Sportscards buys
this T206 collection.

Rosen finds out about this and goes "ballistic" ! Whatever, this story gets crazier. That same weekend, another guy approaches Rosen with some T206's. And, guess what ?
Included in this lot of cards is another Doyle Nat'l card ! !

What is the probability of "lightning striking twice" at the same show ? ? In 1990, only 5 legitimate cards of the Doyle Nat'l card were known in the hobby.

I guess Rosen was so anxious to get this Doyle card, that he didn't see that it was an obvious fake. He bought it and flipped it to KO. And, the rest is history.

TED Z
Old 03-16-2016, 06:30 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozumeleno View Post
Got to 520 last year with a mostly low-grade set. For me, this site was what was really the catalyst for it and I doubt I would have pursued that set without it. Seeing all of the photos, back combinations, etc., of cards owned by members was too much to resist.

Initially, I put it together as an investment while consolidating my collection drastically. But in all honesty, it will be hard for me to ever give them up. I've even started hanging onto my duplicates now so that if the time comes where I need to sell, I can start with those! I thumb through my binder nearly every day, am constantly upgrading cards, and am fascinated by them.

I'm not saying I'd never sell them. After all, it's still only cardboard. But for me, they've really gone from an investment to a personal treasure.

Hey guy

Your story is a great one, thanks for sharing it with us. And, I'm glad to hear that these cards are in a binder.

With all due respect to T206 collectors who have every one of their cards graded, I personally love to flip thru the plastic pages
of my sets. I don't think I would enjoy these cards as much if they stacked up (or sideways) within solid plastic holders.

Sure, I have some graded T206's in my sets; but, these were graded when I acquired them (especially HOFer's, certain stars, or
scarce backs).

TED Z
Old 03-17-2016, 10:48 AM
An$on

Quote:
Hey guy

Your story is a great one, thanks for sharing it with us. And, I'm glad to hear that these cards are in a binder.

With all due respect to T206 collectors who have every one of their cards graded, I personally love to flip thru the plastic pages
of my sets. I don't think I would enjoy these cards as much if they stacked up (or sideways) within solid plastic holders.

Sure, I have some graded T206's in my sets; but, these were graded when I acquired them (especially HOFer's, certain stars, or
scarce backs).

TED Z
Thanks, Ted - I can't tell you how much more I enjoy them in a binder than in the Card Savers I used to keep my stuff in. They are much more enjoyable to look at in there for me and just makes them more accessible. The only ones in slabs are my Cobbs and Demmitt/O'Hara.

I'd probably feel different if my cards were in better shape but for my low-grade set (mostly P-G with some VGs), it works well for me.

And man, that Sovereign page of yours is gorgeous.
T207 (200/200)
E90-1 (118/121)
E90-3 (20/20)
E91A/B/C (85/99)
E93 (17/30)
E95 (12/25)
C59-61 (149/248)
N28/N29 (83/100)
W545 (158/200)
1901-02 Ogden Tabs (1,327/1,560)
1933-41 Goudey (265/478)
1934-36 Diamond Stars (53/108)
1939-41 Play Ball (368/473)

Complete: E47, E49, E50, E75, E76, E229, K4, N88, N91, R136, T29, T30, T38, T51, T53, T68, T73, T77, T118, T218, T220, T225, W512, W513, W542, W552, W565

Founder:
www.prewarcards.com
Old 03-18-2016, 06:54 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMA View Post
Great thread. I can tell you that by 1970 may dad already had 510 cards from the set. He was 30 years old that year and used to buy T206's in lots. Bought his first Wagner in '72 and another in '74. Not sure what year he actually "completed" the set but it was during that period. He had at least one variation of every card, including the Magee error and several other oddities.

At the bottom is his bio from "Who's Who in Card Collecting" from 1970:

Hi

Great story....I met your Dad in the early 1980's at a BB card show. I still have the photographic quality BB card sets he produced in the late 1970's.

TED Z
Old 03-19-2016, 08:19 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Here is a page out of my all PIEDMONT set. The cards are arranged in order of the T206 series timeline (150..350..So Lge..350/460..460-only).
All my T206 sets are in loose leaf binders.

TED Z
Old 03-20-2016, 08:57 AM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Beauties Ted!
Old 03-20-2016, 07:13 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Thanks, Chris

What do you think......I should probably get my Cobb graded, and then get a "good penny" for it. This card out-classes the rest of my PIEDMONT's in this set.

I paid only $88 for this Cobb, so that tells you how long ago I acquired it.

TED Z
Old 03-20-2016, 08:46 PM
Andrew Aronstein

Quote:
Hi
Great story....I met your Dad in the early 1980's at a BB card show. I still have the photographic quality BB card sets he produced in the late 1970's.
Those are great sets! Do you remember if he was a dealer at that show, or just walking the floor?
Old 03-21-2016, 07:33 PM
Ted Zanidakis

TCMA

He may have been set-up at the show, I'm not sure....it was circa 1982. When I met him, he was talking to some guys next to the table that I was set-up at.

TED Z
Old 03-22-2016, 10:15 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpm0014 View Post
My story:

My last name is Mullen. Bought a George Mullen (Mullin) portrait when I was about 13 back when I used to collect cards. I've always loved the autographs and memorabilia and never truly quit collecting, but I really didn't have any cards. Fast forward about 20 years and I find the Mullen card and tell myself "It would be pretty neat to put that set together". That was about 4 years ago. I'm a fairly big gambler, and whenever I have a good week (or good day at the poker tables) I buy almost anything T206 related. I have a cool collection of T206 player game used bats, 2 game used gloves, and I'm up to almost 500 cards (and I'm always updating/upgrading). For complete accuracy, I've also had 2 rough weeks gambling and sold some realllllllly nice cards haha. But I have all of the Southern Leaguers, all of the "commons", and some of the scarce/tough ones. I keep them all in a binder. Long story short, I need about 20 more.....

Hi Brendan

Very interesting story. Good luck at the gambling tables and on getting the last 20 cards for your set.

TED Z

Last edited by tedzan; 03-22-2016 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Correct typo.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:38 AM
Brendan Mullen

Thanks. Here are a couple of pics. All raw in binders....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (8.6 KB, 305 views)
Old 03-23-2016, 08:39 AM
Brendan Mullen

Pic 2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (12.8 KB, 302 views)
Old 03-23-2016, 08:39 AM
Brendan Mullen

Pic 3
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (12.9 KB, 300 views)
Old 03-23-2016, 08:40 AM
Brendan Mullen

Pic 4
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (13.2 KB, 303 views)
Old 03-23-2016, 08:41 AM
Brendan Mullen

Pic 5
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (13.1 KB, 297 views)
Old 03-23-2016, 08:42 AM
Brendan Mullen

Pic 6
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (10.5 KB, 302 views)
Old 03-23-2016, 08:42 AM
Brendan Mullen

Some T206 player bats
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (16.9 KB, 300 views)
Old 03-23-2016, 08:44 AM
Brendan Mullen

Pat Moran circa 1909-1910 game used glove with random Jap Barbeau autographed ball
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (7.6 KB, 289 views)
Old 03-23-2016, 08:52 PM
Mike E

Winter, early 1972, an old farmer from Max, ND called me. I had called in to the Friday morning "swap shop" radio show in Minot looking to buy baseball cards, and he responded. I went to his house, and onto his oilskin tablecloth on his old round oak table, he poured out 1100+ T206 and T205 cards. He had collected them as a kid in NYC. I had no idea of the value, and he wanted to give them to me, because he had kept them, always hoping to find someone who wanted them. I forced $20 on him. By a year later, I had traded with a number of people through the Trader Speaks, and had completed my T205s (less Hoblitzell variations) and had 520 different T206's. One of the T205s was a Hindu back, and I wrote Richard Egan who had master checklists. It was the first one reported.
So, most of mine are still 2nd-owner cards.
By the way, in the summer of 73 I had a chance to buy a low-grade Wagner for $600. My monthly salary was $550 and we had a baby, so I passed on it. My wife told me I should borrow the money and buy it. She still brings that up every once in a while.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:28 PM

[QUOTE=62corvette;1518519]Winter, early 1972, an old farmer from Max, ND called me. I had called in to the Friday morning "swap shop" radio show in Minot looking to buy baseball cards, and he responded. I went to his house, and onto his oilskin tablecloth on his old round oak table, he poured out 1100+ T206 and T205 cards. He had collected them as a kid in NYC. I had no idea of the value, and he wanted to give them to me, because he had kept them, always hoping to find someone who wanted them. I forced $20 on him. By a year later, I had traded with a number of people through the Trader Speaks, and had completed my T205s (less Hoblitzell variations) and had 520 different T206's. One of the T205s was a Hindu back, and I wrote Richard Egan who had master checklists. It was the first one reported.
So, most of mine are still 2nd-owner cards.
By the way, in the summer of 73 I had a chance to buy a low-grade Wagner for $600. My monthly salary was $550 and we had a baby, so I passed on it. My wife told me I should borrow the money and buy it. She still brings that up every once in a while.[/QUOTE

That's a great story! Sorry abut the Wagner though 😁
Old 03-25-2016, 05:34 PM
Ted Zanidakis

That is a fabulous story....Mike E

Thanks for sharing it with us.

TED Z
Old 03-25-2016, 06:37 PM
Mike E

Ted,
Thanks. I have lurked here for a while. I'm amazed at how far the understanding of the T205 and T206 sets has developed in the 40+ years since I acquired mine.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:00 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default My T206 story

Hi Guys:

My story is probably different than most, in that the first card I had from the set was a Wagner.

I had been collecting "in the hobby" for about 10 years, and had been mostly concentrating on Post War cards, Topps, Regionals etc.

However I was at the Troy Mi. (Detroit) Convention in 1974 when word came that Mike Aronstein had turned up a Wagner card back in Long Island. In those days there was an auction at the shows. Supposedly the owner of the card would not sell it to Mike, but when Mike mentioned the show and the auction, it was agreed that Mike would call the convention and have it auctioned off sight unseen.

I had just received my income tax return of $600 so I had money to burn!! :>) The conventions were more just a bunch of guys getting together and having a table as a base of operations. When I caught wind that the Wagner card was going to be auctioned, I sold my entire table to someone ( don't recall who) for another $600.

Andy Sandler recently was kind enough to send me a copy of an article from the 7/5/74 issue of Sports Collectors News I had never seen. See attached below. It tells some of the story. A few things I forgot, like who I was bidding against at the end. Dr. Joe Michalowicz, ( boy did they have a bunch of T200 premiums!!) And one thing was incorrect. I did not get the Wagner in the mail. Rather I am my traveling companion drove straight to Mike Aronstein's house to pick up the Wagner after stopping first at Frank Nagy's house to buy the rest of the set.

In the 70's the big thing at the time was to put your cards on the sticky pages with the light plastic film over top. The only photo I have of the card is shown below in an old Polaroid SX-70 photo. It is so old it is cracking!!

I later sold the card and the rest of my collection to Barry Halper. I always wondered what happened to my Wagner, as in all the subsequent years I never saw it offered again until a few years back when it appeared in a Goodwin auction:

https://goodwinandco.com/LotDetail.a...entoryid=19548

Boy it would be nice to have that $1.2 Million now!!

It was easy to tell it was the one I had as I recall the crease in the upper right corner. Anyone here own it now? If so and you want "the rest of the story" ala Paul Harvey ( google him young fellows) PM and I would be glad to discuss.

Fred
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 74 Troy03252016.jpg (83.0 KB, 318 views)
File Type: jpg My Wagner03252016.jpg (66.1 KB, 322 views)
Old 03-26-2016, 08:52 AM
T0dd M@rcum

My first T206 was bought around 1975 from Rich Gedman's Card collectors company. It was a random card, I think for a dollar or so and it was a Snodgrass. In the early 80s i bought a group or about 150 including lower tier hall of famers, all low grade for $100. At one point my goal was to get a contemporaneous card of each hall of fame. The most accessible were the T206s so I knocked off most of the major hall of famers that way without a conscious effort to be working toward a T206 set. As a shop owner I bought the Cobb, Lajoie, and others. I looked up and was suddenly over 400 and decided to do a set of at least one version of each card...next thing you knew I started buying and trading and was up over 400..so I went for the full 518 set with considerable help from Ted and Marc Delpercio. Please note this is a low grade set, but not a bad set. There area a couple of terrific cards, Young pitching and Shag, especially. Anyhow I "accidentally" picked up a trimmed Demmitt...the guy who had it just didn't want it any more and offered it to me for some of my dupes...so I figured, "why not." I finished up by buying a very low grade O'hara and have a 520. The last card I needed for the set was Milan, mainly because I somehow overlooked it.
Old 03-26-2016, 02:54 PM
scott altland

I love these stories.
Scott

Last edited by goudey1933; 03-27-2016 at 03:47 AM.
Old 03-27-2016, 04:28 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default whiteymet

Hi Fred

Your story is " the stuff that dreams are made of "....to quote Bogey from the last scene in The Maltese Falcon.

There are many great story's during the early 1970's (like your's) that can be told. This hobby was really "happening" back then.

And in my opinion, this was mainly so because most BB cards were very reasonably priced in that era.

TED Z
Old 03-28-2016, 10:33 AM
Jim Parker

Regarding Fred's great story, the newspaper article mentions he bought the other 523 cards from Frank Nagy. Since Doyle NY Natl was not known in 1974, what was the 523rd other card?
Old 03-28-2016, 11:30 AM
Zach

Quote:

I paid only $88 for this Cobb, so that tells you how long ago I acquired it.
Beautiful Cobb (and one that I need for my portrait set). How would you like to TRIPLE your investment right now?!
Old 03-28-2016, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerj33 View Post
Regarding Fred's great story, the newspaper article mentions he bought the other 523 cards from Frank Nagy. Since Doyle NY Natl was not known in 1974, what was the 523rd other card?
Probably the Sweeney "no B"