NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-07-2018, 10:45 AM
Greg C
Greg Cir.uln.ick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Seriously. There was this mythology about the 52 card being printed late and scads of them buried at sea. Now all sorts of other Mantle cards seem to be steadily increasing in value. What’s the obsession with Mantle? Are there a few hundred thousand Billy Crystal clones out there. Babe Ruth sure. Jackie sure. I get those. They are part of the fabric of American history. But Mantle was a big strong galoot who hit some amazing dingers. Not denigrating his stats, but don’t understand the collecting obsession around him.
Maybe internalize a bit and ask yourself the same question. If you felt the urge to make the topic, sat down and typed, reread and hit post, you might have a slight obsession yourself.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:29 PM

Default plain and simple....

All legends......Baseball Icons......Ruth, Mantle, Cobb, Mays, Gehrig ect....household names......all larger than life.....even in non sports general population has heard or know of their fame.....stats cans be argued, but its that certain X factor..... there stories and lifestyles that trandscend the sport or hobby...both good and bad....good movies and books are written about them....they have a certain enigma to them.....

Mantle, is in this category.....especially the boomers.....he hit when bb cards were truly as American as the game or apple pie....1952 topps set , one of the best issues ever (ojs, 33 goudeys,, t206, 52 topps)....home runs are sexy to the American public.....

short print....classic issue....baseball hero and icon , a legend.... a well recognized image of the Mick, very stoic, arrogant, and young.....another "mona lisa" like the iconic stare of the 206 Wagner or the stoic image of the t206 plank....the image is burned in all collectors minds wether they like it or not....

hence the perfect storm!

you can go on and on and on.........

you really can't go too wrong owning ant authentic '52 mantle....
Old 12-07-2018, 01:01 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregC View Post
Maybe internalize a bit and ask yourself the same question. If you felt the urge to make the topic, sat down and typed, reread and hit post, you might have a slight obsession yourself.
One post on Mickey Mantle in 7 years. I'd say that's a pretty low level obsession.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:12 PM
Al Richter

Discussions about the value of Mantle cards in and of themselves and relative to other stars like Aaron and Mays ( personality and all) have occurred over on post war from time to time

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 12-07-2018 at 01:17 PM.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:27 PM
Steve Birmingham

I think the question is a fair one.

It also leads to some deeper questions, about why one player over another, why one card more than another.

Mantle obviously has become sort of a symbol of his era, he certainly performed well enough. And had the advantage of playing in NY for what was one of the all time great teams.
But Mays was really close in performance, and also played in NY his first two years.
Had the team stayed, and if he'd retired after 1971 instead of hanging on a bit too long, how would he be viewed.

I think the NY effect has a bunch to do with it. Even when I was a kid, NY seemed like a special place where everything was bigger and better and more spectacular. And that was suburban western Mass/Ct in the 70's. I can only imagine the impression it had in most of the country in the 50's.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:41 PM
Peter Spaeth

I've posted this before in response to the same question.

First and foremost perhaps, factoring in an unbelievable number of walks, he was even better than his counting stats suggest. Top 10 player in my opinion.

New York during the 1950s. See Ken Burns, The Capital of Baseball.

Yankees. All the World Series.

Sorry to say this, but white.

The mystique of playing in pain and even at his extremely high level falling short of his ability.

Switch hitter.

Combo of power and speed.

His charisma, the down to earth folk hero personality.

The big forearms.

There's probably more.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-07-2018 at 01:42 PM.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:51 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I also think the OP's question was fair. I've thought about it a lot, and certainly understand his immense popularity among Baby Boomers and those slightly older. Plus, it's just a classic and iconic Baseball Name... "Mickey Mantle". Perhaps second only to Babe Ruth, in terms of generating immediate name recognition, and having a certain "ring" to it.

But I do wonder how his values will hold up after the Baby Boom generation has passed. That will leave nobody who actually saw him play, or idolized/admired him in the ways described above. I think there may be a lesser premium placed on Mantle, with a decline starting around the year 2030 or so.

Just my humble opinion, and only time will tell.

Last edited by perezfan; 12-07-2018 at 01:53 PM.
Old 12-07-2018, 02:01 PM
Peter Spaeth

Ruth and Gehrig and Cobb have held up pretty well. I think Mantle will too. But who knows.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-07-2018, 02:30 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Mantle is gold. I don't know how rare the metal actually is, but like William Devane, I would stockpile it if I could. Mantle cards (seemingly) always go up in value, so whenever ebay puts out their 15% off coupons, the first things I look for are Micks. He played a bit before my time and as a New Yorker I've never understood the obsession with him, but the reality is he's at the apex of the collecting world and I don't see that ever changing.

This is a poll thread I started a while back, to try to see how many people around these parts actually saw Mantle play. It may help add a bit to the current discussion...
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=255158

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 12-07-2018, 05:56 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
I also think the OP's question was fair. I've thought about it a lot, and certainly understand his immense popularity among Baby Boomers and those slightly older. Plus, it's just a classic and iconic Baseball Name... "Mickey Mantle". Perhaps second only to Babe Ruth, in terms of generating immediate name recognition, and having a certain "ring" to it.

But I do wonder how his values will hold up after the Baby Boom generation has passed. That will leave nobody who actually saw him play, or idolized/admired him in the ways described above. I think there may be a lesser premium placed on Mantle, with a decline starting around the year 2030 or so.

Just my humble opinion, and only time will tell.

Yeah, his chief competitor name-wise was Mickey Mouse, who hasn't faired too badly either, but couldn't hit the curve I'm told.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:47 PM
Dave

Well obviously being on the Yankees and winning all those titles don't hurt.

But, going off the idea he was just a big strong guy that hit a lot of homers kind of misses the point.

One quick look at his statistics and he was also a sabermetricians dream player.

Considering he played hurt most of his career and was a shadow of himself by his age 33 season, he sure has quite an accumulation of peripheral stats we didn't even take into account 20+ years ago. An "accumulator" he was not.

Just one example is WPA (Win Probability Added). He's #5 All-Time in this accumulated stat. Only guys ahead of him are Barry Bonds, Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, Ted Williams. The only actual player with a comparable number of plate appearances on this list is Ted Williams. Everybody else around him has quite a few more.

It's up to everybody else to decide how much stock they put in this particular stat, but it's just one of many he rates very highly on.
Old 02-17-2019, 04:04 PM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post

Discussions about the value of Mantle cards in and of themselves and relative to other stars like Aaron and Mays ( personality and all) have occurred over on post war from time to time
Mickey was terrific, but I was the other kid that traded for The Man.
Old 02-17-2019, 04:54 PM
Br.ent So.bie

What a ridiculous question.
Its like asking what's the fascination with Stradivarius, or Rembrandt, or Fabergé, or Ferrari?
People like the absolute best.
It's not rocket science...
Old 02-17-2019, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huysmans View Post
What a ridiculous question.
Its like asking what's the fascination with Stradivarius, or Rembrandt, or Fabergé, or Ferrari?
People like the absolute best.
It's not rocket science...
Well expressed, Brent.

I suppose the OP was asking both why there is such an obsession with Mickey, as well as, why, in a manner of speaking, do you yourself have such an obsession with Mickey Charles Mantle. With one, you get someone's opinion about the obvious huge fascination with Mick, and the drive to collect him---PASSIONATELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

But with the other, if they're willing to take the time and trouble to ponder the matter, why he or she is obsessed with collecting Mickey. Considering the exorbitant amount of time and money some, including myself, have spent collecting Mickey Mantle, both questions and especially the personal one, are well worth the time exploring and pondering.

Funny, you mention another fascination of mine---Ferrari. It's as you say, people like the absolute best, though with Ferrari, I hone in on certain eras of their racing history, and collect them in fine 1/43rd scale models. I much prefer that for its practicality. I'd have to work many lifetimes for the surviving racing sports car of the real thing I savor, if that is, the current owner was willing to part with it. They are generally auctioned, and those dogfights are not for the timid of heart, nor pocketbook!!!!!!!!!!!!

All the best, Brian Powell

PS----I was ALWAYS in the same camp with my little buddy above. I would effortlessly trade any Stan Musial I had to get a Mickey Mantle. Be that as it may, at the time I began collecting, 1961, Stan the Man was respected in my Chicago suburb, but Mickey was revered. In 1961, Mickey was the number 1 most wanted, most cherished, most desired player on a baseball card, and he continued so through 1969 when Topps went ahead and produced Mickey, though he had announced his official retirement early in spring training of that year.

Last edited by brian1961; 02-17-2019 at 07:24 PM.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:27 PM
Sean Fitze
Se.an Fi.tze

If Mantle was not a Yankee, things would have been different.