NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-03-2004, 05:58 PM
Administrator

Default SGC Question

Posted By: T206 Collector 

Okay, now I'm just really confused. What do you guys think about this SGC card which is on EBAY this evening. It also looks as closely cut towards the top as the Lajoie I posted earlier this week.

Does everyone also think this card should be a VG at best given the centering?

Old 01-03-2004, 05:59 PM
Administrator

Default SGC Question

Here's the photo...

The auction is at...

Old 01-03-2004, 06:00 PM
Administrator

Default SGC Question

Having techinical difficulties getting the image posted. Here we go again...

The auction is at...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2776434433&category=31718

Old 01-03-2004, 06:12 PM
Administrator

Default SGC Question

Posted By: Hankron

Your point is well taken. If anything, this card is worse than the PSA you posted earlier ... I would assume that, both with a PSA & SGC card, the smart collector uses the grader's opinion in conjunction with his (the purchaser's) opinion, and does not rely only upon the grader's.

Old 01-03-2004, 06:34 PM
Administrator

Default SGC Question

In any area of collecting, whether it's Pablo Picasso paintings or 1950s Topps baseball cards, I would find it hard to beleive that any advanced collector relies soley on another's opinion, whether it's PSA or Sotheby's. These collectors will seek reliable second opinions and have favorite outside experts, but will only uses their opinions as suppliment to their own knowledge and experience.

So, whether it's a PSA-advocate or an SGC-advocate, an advanced baseball card collector would be the first to say the collector shouldn't focus only on what the label says, even if the labels is by his favorite grader.

Old 01-03-2004, 06:53 PM
Administrator

Default SGC Question

My personal specialty is photographs. With expensive examples that have a significant flaw that is not related to technical grade-- somewhat out of focus image or bad total range, for example--, I advise the potential buyer that, "Just because you are willing to dismiss the flaw and pay full price, don't assume the next potential buyer will."

In other wother words, just because you are willing to pay full price for an overgraded card, doesn't mean that someone else will.

Old 01-04-2004, 01:26 AM
Administrator

Default SGC Question

Posted By: Lee Behrens

Sgc says 80/20 is the limit for a 60 EX, I think they missed on this one. 90/10 may be pushing it and that falls under the 40 VG category. I think it is more 95/5, sure isn't much top border.

As this board always says "Buy the Card No the Holder"

I can say something thatis not in favor of SGC.

Old 01-04-2004, 01:52 AM
Administrator

Default SGC Question

Posted By: I wanna join in

Here is probably the the card most overgraded by SGC. It's a good thing they don't grade cards this badly on any sort of regular basis. This card has no right boarder and very round corners, yet still managed a VG/EX. Go figure.

Old 01-04-2004, 08:59 AM
Administrator

Default SGC Question

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Since SGC has an 80/20 limit for 60 borders, that card is OUT--but I think otherwise the print is flawless, and the size is (probably) o.k. I might be tempted to call it "ex," but I don't think I'd get many takers at that level. With the lovely -wrestling?--card, I think vg-ex is almost O.K.--again because of the clarity of the lithograph, and the lack of creases, but I guess the corners are more important than they are to ME.
Just bought Brian's (three25hits) PSA 1 green background Cobb, and the fault is mainly in the corners, though there are some surface problems.

Old 01-04-2004, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Default SGC Question

Posted By: leon

If I sent those 2 cards in I would probably get 40's? With the corner wear and the o/c I don't see how they got what they did. I have several Zeenuts that SGC slammed for minute spots of clear (water) stain on the blank backs and they knocked them for several grades. Buy the card not the holder.....these 2 are overgraded in my opinion. I don't think SGC knocks as much for o/c as they do for other minor blemishes (obviously). Give me a perfectly centered T206, like the one in this post, with an erased pencil mark with small indention left on the back, in a 40-50 holder over this one any day. Buy the card not the plastic.... just my thoughts....

Old 01-06-2004, 12:20 PM
Administrator

Default SGC Question

Posted By: Lee Behrens

It looks like GAI grades the same:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31718&item=2777163978