NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-22-2003, 04:45 PM
Administrator

Default VCBC!

Posted By: Julie

It arrived at the Vognar residence this afternoon. Poor dennis Purdy, writing his fingers to the bone (entertainingly, and with his great sense of humor). "Theme Collecting," (first in a series)"What's in a Name?" (about the little-known names of some well-known teams over the years), "Hobby gems(third in a series)--19th Century Dukes" with gorgeous illustrations.
"T206 Errors" by--Scott Forest (who he?) et al (Keith O'Leary, John Dreker, Charlie Henry and Peter Calderon (and who he?)--color illustrations!
"Night BasebaLL" (VCBC staff), with some of the earliest photos of night baseball--four articles showing the reasoning,, humor, and hysteria behind baseball's conversion to night time games, "Hank Gowdey" by Frank Ceresi, "The National Association Season of 1872" by Preston Orem, "Just Wondering," by Galovich, and a nice roomy classified section, bercause not all of you who had your ads erased last issue botherred to replace them with new (just as free) ones

Old 01-23-2003, 09:26 AM
Administrator

Default VCBC!

Posted By: James Walker Jr.

Is it possible to by just a single copy of the current issue without waiting for it to become a back issue? There are some issues that don't have many articles of interest (at least for now) and don't want to subscribe. However, like this issue, I would like to a copy.

Am interested in the Theme Collecting article and the T206 Error article.

Thanks,
James Walker, Jr.

Old 01-23-2003, 09:44 AM
Administrator

Default VCBC!

Posted By: runscott

I would think you could order any back issue you want, probably even the current one - email and phone # are available at the web-site

Old 01-23-2003, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Default VCBC!

I'm curious what others think of pages 10-11 of this issue

Old 01-23-2003, 10:29 AM
Administrator

Default VCBC!

Posted By: brian parker

For us cheapos who are unwilling to fork over the extra bucks to have each issue priority mailed to us, it usually is a couple of weeks or more after Julie reports receiving an issue that it makes it to our mailbox. So comment on pages 10 and 11 might take some time.

Brian

Old 01-23-2003, 10:33 AM
Administrator

Default VCBC!

Posted By: leon

I got mine delivered to my igloo, in Texas, yesterday. Since I am at work I can't help you out on your question, Scott. But it was a great article. I can't wait for your update best regards ps....several previous issues were absolutely full of auction prices....this one didn't have any although I think a few pages of them would be ok

Old 01-23-2003, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Default VCBC!

Posted By: Tom B

pages 10-11 were 'INTERESTING' to say the least. I don't remember if it was signed or done by the staff but a couple of the 'items', while very funny, were a little over the top for a periodical that goes to so many people. I enjoyed the satire but just my opinion......

Old 01-23-2003, 12:39 PM
Administrator

Default VCBC!

I...accuse...Dennis...Purdy!

Didn't any of you notice Purdy's gross sense of humor?
remember "fartillionization"? And there was something or someone who Purdy kept saying was like a "whore." (I started getting a little defensive about whores).

O.K. SCOTT! READ EVERYTHING. At the bottom of page 11 "In case you couldn't tell Bulls* %t Sports Auction is a paraody auction brought to you as a result of dennis C. Purdy, Sr. having too much on his hands, and is offered exclusively througth VCBC for entertainment purposes only. But if you really want to send money, hey, knock yourself out."

As to the taste exhibited, I didn't require any smelling salts. Maybe some subsacriptions will be lost...who knows?

Old 01-23-2003, 04:53 PM
Administrator

Default VCBC!

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Hi Scott& friends
Nice article. I got mine last thursday, so I guess the mail is improving. be well brian

Old 01-23-2003, 07:27 PM
Administrator

Default VCBC!

Posted By: rod

I have bought single copies at Border's and Barnes and Nobles.

Old 01-23-2003, 09:38 PM
Administrator

Default VCBC!

Old 01-24-2003, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Default VCBC!

Posted By: warshawlaw

LOL on one or two of the page 10-11 items. Cute using parodies of Hager's name on each lot. Maybe a little raunchier than normal, but we're all adults here (I think), so why be tightasses about it?

Great article, Scott, one small bone to pick regarding T206 ghosts. My experience has been that a nice front ghost on a card back will bring around 10x the price of the card absent the ghost. Hardly what I'd call a "small premium".

I loved the color illustrations. Gotta remember the scanner option next time I write something.

Old 01-24-2003, 04:29 PM
Administrator

Default VCBC!

but the "small premium" was referring to ghosts of back images on the front, not ghosts of front images on the back. It's confusing and I wrote and re-wrote that part of the article several times until I finally gave up.

Old 01-24-2003, 06:37 PM
Administrator

Default VCBC!

Posted By: Hankron

Very enjoyable article, Scott. It was nice to get the information captured into a single article.

Old 01-25-2003, 09:18 AM
Administrator

Default VCBC!

Me so stupid at end of week.

You know, I never really thought about front ghosts of back printing. I have a T218 with a front ghost of a back--SGC graded it vg-ex. I guess they didn't think about it either.

Old 01-27-2003, 05:21 PM
Administrator

Default VCBC!

Old 01-27-2003, 07:30 PM
Administrator

Default VCBC!

Posted By: TBob

Mail to the Ozarks must be slow this time of year darnit.

Old 01-28-2003, 07:06 AM
Administrator

Default VCBC!

I left the "Magie" error card out of the "error" list at the end of the t206 article - Dan McKee pointed this out and is of course, absolutely "not in error".

Old 01-28-2003, 09:02 AM
Administrator

Default VCBC!

Tony Galovich's article slams ebay dealers for no return policies. I know we've gone over this issue some in the past, but I have to chime in with the observation that the criticism may not be fair. Ebay is more like an auction than a retail sale, so it is not unusual or by any means unprecedented for the sales to the final. Many traditional auction houses run their sales on an absolute basis. I'd also note that traditional card retailers at shows rarely offer a refund policy for show sales unless the buyer and the seller happen to be well acquainted; heck, most don't even create receipts or note the sales (especially cash sales). Also, retailers have more discretion over card prices (see a Mike Wheat free listing day dump for proof) and can better control their risks. So, as far as no return policies go, like Chris Rock said about wife-beating, I don't condone it, but I do understand.

Who do you suppose is the embittered PSA hater that Galovich references in his article???

Old 01-28-2003, 05:44 PM
Administrator

Default VCBC!

Posted By: Patrick McMenemy

Scott & Friends,

Enjoyed your T206 article.

I have a Johnny Kling with the "color variation" like your Tinker example where instead of a red background the background is peach & orange color. I have seen several others on EBAY this past year as well.

I also have a "printer's scrap" of Chief Meyers with an interesting twist. Not only are there several light gray tone ghost images on the front which carry over into the border of the card, but there is also a reverse image of the Sweet Caporal back in red ink which has the "S" starting on the top border.

The ghost image on the right is the same pose of Chief Meyers batting, and I'm unsure of the image on the left border. I guess this card reflects either a bad day at the presses or a good example of "test" scrap.

Old 01-28-2003, 07:41 PM
Administrator

Default VCBC!

Posted By: Jay Miller

Just got my copy today. Dennis Purdy is a classic. I love that guy and miss him running VCBC.

Old 01-28-2003, 11:36 PM
Administrator

Default VCBC!

Posted By: tbob

Finally made it to the frigid South. Nice article by Runscott. Also looks like Tony G. reads this board

Old 01-29-2003, 06:15 AM
Administrator

Default VCBC!

Posted By: Jay Miller

Scott et al---Great article in the VCBC. I know very little about the T206 set so virtually all the information in the article was new information.

Old 01-29-2003, 01:37 PM
Administrator

Default VCBC!

Posted By: John(z28jd)

Got my copy today Scott,thanks....first issue of vcbc ive ever seen,although i was a subscriber to them for just over 2 full months,and somehow didnt get one issue ....but thats in the past

Old 01-29-2003, 05:18 PM
Administrator

Default VCBC!

Posted By: MW

....Deleted at poster's request

Old 01-29-2003, 06:52 PM
Administrator

Default VCBC!

there'd be less of Galovich (sp?)