NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-24-2012, 02:36 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Default First game played? Roster?

Was just wondering (and I know this is a huge topic for debate, and I'm sorry), when do you guys consider the first baseball game ever played is? I know some dates to consider are June 19th 1846, October 6th 1845, and uniforms first used and an outside squad I believe on June 3rd 1851.

And anyone know the rosters?

I am wanting to know, because I think it would be neat to try to compile autographs of the originating members, so if anyone has knowledge on this and who has known examples of autographs as well, that'd be great!

Thanks
Old 04-24-2012, 02:57 PM
Barry Sloate

Regardless of which date you choose, and it certainly is debatable, how would you find the autographs of those players? I would imagine hardly any of them are available.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:03 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Well, I know of a few off the top of my head. William T Avery has quite a few, Cartwright (think he umped/played in a few) and some others
Old 04-24-2012, 03:26 PM
Belltown Vintage

From the August, 1909 'Baseball Magazine'. At some point I'll scan some of these articles and post, but having trouble with uploads.

The History of Baseball By William M. Rankin
excerpts from Chapter 1 - The Beginning of Baseball

All the pioneers of the game, who were interviewed in times gone by, agreed that they had no regular game of ball until Mr. Cartwright presented his plans, which were drawn up on paper, and submitted one afternoon when his fellow players had gathered on the field for practice. He had arranged for eighteen men, nine on each side. His plans were met with much good natured derision, but he was so persistent in having his new game tried that it was finally agreed, more to humor him than with any idea of its becoming so successful or a permanent fixture.
It had been the custom of the young men of that day to assemble on a vacant lot about where the eastern end of Madison Square Garden now stands about twice a week for practice. After that site had been purchased for the erection of the harlem Railroad Depot, the ball players took possession of an open field on Murray Hill, between Railroad cut and Third avenue. It was while located on this lot that Mr. Cartwright introduced his new game, but there was no regular system for playing it, or rules to govern it. It was then that Mr. Cartwright suggested the formation of a club for playing the game.

At a special meeting, held on June 5, 1846, Messrs. Curry, Adams and Tucker were appointed a committee to arrange the preliminaries, and conclude a match with the New York Baseball Club, which consisted of a party of gentlemen who had recently et and formed themselves into a club. Most of them had been cricketers, and were very clever at that tame. The match was arranged for June 19, at Hoboken, N.J.

The day finally came for the playing of this important match - the first regular baseball game ever played - and it was all that could be desired, although extremely hot. There was a large gathering of the friends of the two clubs, including many ladies, which greatly added to the success of the afternoon's entertainment. It can be seen by the score how primitive the game was in those days. But four innings were played. It will be remembered the game was won by the party first making twenty-one aces, or over, on even innings. The names of the players and the result were as follows:

NEW YORK
(Name HO,R)

Davis 1,3
Winslow 2,2
Ransom 2,3
Murphy 0,4
Case 0,4
Johnson 1,2
Thompson 2,2
Trenchard 2,1
Lalor 2,2

Totals 12,23

KNICKERBOCKER

Turney 1,0
Adams 1,0
Tucker 2,0
Birney 1,1
Avery 0,0
H. Anthony 2,0
D. Anthony 2,0
Tryon 2,0
Palding 1,0

Totals 12, 1

It was not until the Summer of 1851 that the next match game was played.

(more follows0
Old 04-24-2012, 03:36 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Nice post Scott! You always seem to have something to dig up regardless of the topic lol. Do we have first names on these rosters? I recognize a few, Doc Adams, Avery, Curry etc. Don't really know the others, they could have some importance. Like Adams creating the shortstop position.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:49 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF Auto Rookies View Post
Nice post Scott! You always seem to have something to dig up regardless of the topic lol. Do we have first names on these rosters? I recognize a few, Doc Adams, Avery, Curry etc. Don't really know the others, they could have some importance. Like Adams creating the shortstop position.
Thanks - only the history and T206 litho stuff. I just picked up an extensive collection of Baseball Magazines from 1908-1914 and just read that article, so I had the info readily available.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:32 PM
S Gross

There was a large gathering of the friends of the two clubs, including many ladies, which greatly added to the success of the afternoon's entertainment.

That's what I love about Baseball ................. things never change
Old 04-24-2012, 04:53 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybuddyinc View Post
There was a large gathering of the friends of the two clubs, including many ladies, which greatly added to the success of the afternoon's entertainment.

That's what I love about Baseball ................. things never change
+1, touche
Old 04-24-2012, 07:17 PM

I remember a while ago I saw a William Avery signed cabinet on eBay. It went pretty cheap if I remember correctly. I still regret not buying it.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:11 AM
Frank Wakefield

Barry... there's some outfit that is a great resource for autographed stuff. I'm not certain of the name, is it Coach's Corner? I thought they would sign most any autograph wanted, and ship it out, within about 48 hours....
Old 04-25-2012, 08:15 AM
Barry Sloate

I'm sure CC will come up with an 1846 Knickerbocker team signed ball...
Old 04-25-2012, 09:18 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
I'm sure CC will come up with an 1846 Knickerbocker team signed ball...
$9.99 sounds about right for that
Old 04-25-2012, 09:22 AM
Charles

I know Walter T. Avery has quite a few autos out there...I currently possess one. There was a huge find of his stuff a couple years ago that was auctioned off through Robert Edwards Auctions I believe.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:27 AM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

Just finished reading John Thorn's fine book on the beginnings of the game, "Baseball in the Garden of Eden". Highly recommend it.