NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 09-05-2015, 05:41 PM

Default What is everyone's personal white whale card?

What is the 1 card everyone personally looking for?

Mine:

2007 Madison Bumgarner Donruss Elite Extra Status Black Auto /1
Old 09-05-2015, 06:47 PM
je.sse @rnot

I found the one I had been after for a while earlier this year. The next big white whale type cards I will be after are a Babe Ruth RC or a PSA 10 86 Fleer Jordan. It could be a while before I can pull either of those off though.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:10 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

For me and my limited budget, it's any SGC 10/PSA 1 Walter Johnson.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:43 PM
Phil Garry

Since we're in the Post-War Baseball, 1980's - Present section, I'll go with the 1990 Topps (No Name) Frank Thomas.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:44 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb View Post
Since we're in the Post-War Baseball, 1980's - Present section, I'll go with the 1990 Topps (No Name) Frank Thomas.
I actually opened this thread back up to add this card. A personal favorite of mine and one I'd love to add to the collection.

Last edited by pokerplyr80; 09-07-2015 at 08:45 PM.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:25 PM

I picked mine up a few months ago...an uncut sheet of the 1987 Bellingham Mariners then I was lucky enough to get it signed in person by Ken Griffey Jr.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:38 PM
Scott Silvers

My white whale of post 90's Maddux cards would have to be the 2007 Allen and Ginter original mini sketch card (by Dick Perez).

Although I never saw this card come to auction, I lost out on two other auctions for sketch cards of his produced by Topps during his playing years - simply because I failed to check back in and make a last minute bids. Because of that, I think this makes me only want this particular card even more.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:25 AM
Marc S.

Default About a decade ago

I let a hobby friend purchase via auction a 1980 Topps Pepsi Mike Schmidt production card.

I'd love to won that one day -- there are probably fewer than five examples in existence; I'm happy to own a proof card of such, but the production example would be a white whale.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:09 AM

My white whale is #404 Dick Brodowski from the 52 topps set. Just yesterday I was bidding on him, thinking I'd finally found a nice centered example, PSA 7. But every frigging number I put in, it couldn't top the other guy's high bid. Maybe it was a shill. Who knows. All I knew was for a card whose SMR is $395, I had bid $700 and STILL couldn't top out. I finally had to cry uncle. The search will go on.
Old 09-11-2015, 01:40 PM
Glyn Parson

Default 1973 topps comic

Nolan Ryan
Old 09-13-2015, 04:44 PM
Kevin

Default White Whale

What if you find your white whale but the PSA label DOES NOT have grade on 2nd line instead of 3rd or card WAS NOT submitted to PSA by current owner...Do you still buy it?

Last edited by ledsters; 09-13-2015 at 06:48 PM.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:34 PM
Alfredo

Ive been wanting a 1993 sp derek jeter in BGS 9 at least
Old 09-13-2015, 09:51 PM

I've got one. 1994 Topps Finest Refractor Charlie Hough. I have two of the 1993's (which are supposed to be more rare) but I haven't ever seen the 1994. I see a lot of other commons going for under 5 bucks including shipping. Maybe he was short printed? If anyone has one I'll buy it from you.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by priestc View Post
I've got one. 1994 Topps Finest Refractor Charlie Hough. I have two of the 1993's (which are supposed to be more rare) but I haven't ever seen the 1994. I see a lot of other commons going for under 5 bucks including shipping. Maybe he was short printed? If anyone has one I'll buy it from you.
There's a good chance I have it. I have a huge Marlins collection. I'll check this afternoon.

I was in the same boat for a good while with a 1995 Finest Conine Refractor. No one on eBay, comc, or message boards had it. I finally found it on Sportlots for a few bucks. Strange that it'd take over a year to find what's basically a common.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coninefan View Post
There's a good chance I have it. I have a huge Marlins collection. I'll check this afternoon.

I was in the same boat for a good while with a 1995 Finest Conine Refractor. No one on eBay, comc, or message boards had it. I finally found it on Sportlots for a few bucks. Strange that it'd take over a year to find what's basically a common.
If you have it, I'd totally buy it or trade it for something.
Old 12-03-2015, 02:05 AM
Joshua

I just purchased my white whale which was a chipper desert shield It is graded Psa 5 which all i wanted was it to be graded so i didn't have to worry about counterfit. As a huge chipper collector I just wanted to own the card so grade was only for authenticity purpose so I am very happy

Josh
Old 12-03-2015, 07:17 AM
Bill Gregory

Hmm, post 1980 whales?

I'm easy. For baseball, a BGS 10 '89 Upper Deck Ken Griffey Jr, and football, a PSA 10 '81 Topps Joe Montana.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:25 AM
Bill Gregory

If we're going back a little further, these two vintage cards would definitely be my white whales. My two all-time favorite players, perfect mint rookies.

1975 Topps Robin Yount PSA 10

1955 Topps Roberto Clemente PSA 10

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:47 AM

Looks like I have two - 1987 Dick Howser and Ricky Wright signed.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:13 AM

I don't really chase for anything specific, but to think about something truly rare. I would say maybe the 2006 Topps Alex Gordon that is just the frame of the card, although the white stock ones with just the foil priting looks cooler.
Old 12-03-2015, 11:42 AM
Al Richter

Default Post 1980

Topps 2001 Pujols #160B with corrected photo on back and no cap...if it exists
Old 12-03-2015, 07:03 PM
Curt

The Garvey 1980 Topps prototype coin, but since it is not really a card, then I'd have to say the 2003 Donruss Team Heroes Beckett Gold Sample Garvey card (if one actually exists).
Old 12-04-2015, 07:24 AM

'97 Donruss Signature Century Marks Vladimir Guerrero.

I have all three versions in '98 but the '97...no luck!
Old 12-06-2015, 02:48 PM

Mine would be the 06 Bowman Chrome Prospects Ryan Klosterman Superfractor and Red Refractor. He worked at a gym i used to work at in the off season and got to know each other a bit. Since then I've tried to locate either one of them and no luck.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:51 PM
Charles
Cha.rles

Here's mine:

1978 Topps / Zest Soap - Willie Montanez, PSA 10
Old 02-09-2016, 11:59 AM
Michael Skiles

Default White Whale Card

1963 Post Cereal Frank Thomas
Old 02-09-2016, 12:23 PM
Al Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cardfather View Post
Here's mine:

1978 Topps / Zest Soap - Willie Montanez, PSA 10
Are you/have you collected the "whole" set in that condition, or just want that card in a 10. Amazed to come across another person who is even aware of, let alone has that set

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 02-09-2016 at 02:10 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:52 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

A fleer Jordan rookie
Old 02-09-2016, 01:48 PM
Ryan Waggoner

I actually have 3.

1954 Topps Hank Aaron
1952 Topps Eddie Mathews
1967 Topps Venezuelan Hank Aaron

The first two I can get eventually, once I have the funds, the 67 VZ I've never seen.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:07 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Are you/have you collected the "whole" set in that condition, or just want that card in a 10. Amazed to come across another person who is even aware of, let alone has that set

I have the set too, but not graded. Nice little set that seems just so odd today.

Steve B
Old 02-14-2016, 06:09 PM

1987 Perez-Steele Great Moments Mickey Mantle graded PSA 9 MINT!

I love the original 1910s-era set these cards were based on, the immortal T-3 Turkey Red tobacco cabinet premiums, regarded by collectors as the most elegant series of cards ever conceived, printed with all the brilliant color and care that was possible then, which was considerable.

Fast forward to 1987. The adult baseball card hobby was at its zenith. I mean to tell ya, everything was BOOMING. Of all the artists involved in our hobby, probably the very best was Dick Perez, whose partnership with Frank and Peggy Steele formed a hobby powerhouse, producing a wide variety of dazzling, absolutely scintilating creations that captured the nostalgic beauty of the games' great players of the past.

It is my firm opinion that their finest creation was a series entitled Perez-Steele Great Moments. Using the same style and format as the aforementioned T-3 premiums, the idea was to buy these stunning high-quality cards and have the now-retired baseball great autograph his card for you at any of a number of sports collector conventions taking place, each week it seemed, where they might be appearing as an autograph guest.

The Perez-Steele Great Moments were limited to 5000 cards each, which now seems like a whale of a lot. However, the hobby was going like gangbusters and these impressive, thick cards sold like hotcakes!!!!!!!!!

Now, I was quite taken with the Mickey Mantle card. When I saw it for the first time in the pages of SPORTS COLLECTORS DIGEST, instantly I fell in love with that radiant piece. Collecting vintage Mantle cards and coins at the time, I was definitely one of those raving "MANTLE MANIACS!" Well, I saw in that card something beautiful enough to put with my period Mickey Mantles.

The far majority of the Great Moments sold were used as a most appropriate print to get autographed. In this case, Mickey Mantle signed many of them, and his always legible, beautiful, flowing autograph looked swell on the Great Moment. One day on eBay, I came upon an unsigned PSA high grade example. I was so moved by it again, but deliberated a few months because of the BIN price tag-- $107.99. The seller wouldn't budge on his price. Looking at the many autographed examples and the extremely few unsigned ones available, I began to appreciate the gorgeous PSA 9 MINT card itself. Finally, in April of 2015 I bought it, and absolutely love it. It's sure hefty in the thick PSA T-3 holder they employ for these. Brings back fond memories of that stage of the hobby, and I'm very pleased to put this piece with the period Mantles I still have left.

Buying for investment was farthest from my mind; simply not my intention. I just love how the card looks. I've seen what I believe is the original picture Dick Perez based his painting from for this card, which dates to around 1960, right in the heart of Mick's great career. Mantle is batting, the pitch coming in, and Perez captured Mickey's split-second eager joy of seeing one he likes and can cream! Yanks' manager Casey Stengel is seen in the dugout, watching him about to send one into orbit. The box seat fans were portrayed, giving the imagery perfect balance and a story so evocative of what us Mantle Maniacs love! As I recall, Mr. Perez couldn't single out "a great moment" for Mr. Mantle, there being so many. Instead, he wisely portrayed the scene we his fans cherish---watching the man bat! Even when Mick was taking batting practice, OPPOSING players would stop what they were doing, and just watch him. Respect and admiration.

So many of those Great Moments were autographed by Mr. Mantle, and I am in no way insinuating it is defaced if autographed; that's what it was meant for! Notwithstanding, as an update, it is December 13, 2016, the height of Christmas selling and buying. From the eBay listing, there are 14 individual Great Moments Mickey Mantles offered, and EVERY ONE OF THEM is autographed! As a further update, it is March 9, 2017, and I count 19 Mantle-autographed Great Moments cards, with one non-autographed. However, the non-autographed is part of a set, and nobody would want to plunk down $1,000 just to get the Mantle, on the slim chance it would grade out PSA 9.

I prefer a different Mickey Mantle-autographed piece. Mickey's own favorite photo of himself was a Ray Gallo picture taken in the Red Sox visitors' dugout in September, 1956. Around 1980, Gallo had the photo expertly colorized, and issued a limited run of colorized prints autographed by Mickey. Early in 2017, I was extremely fortunate to buy one that had been properly preserved. It's already been PSA / DNAed. I intend to have PSA holder it with their 8 X !0 photo holder. I had my sights set on that Mickey Mantle autographed item for over a year.

Back to the Perez-Steele Mantle Greatest Moment, the fact remains I am a baseball card collector first and foremost, and I determined I wanted an ultra-high grade example of just the unsigned card itself. Also, the few unsigned survivors I have seen listed on eBay often have a dinged corner, being an over-sized card that was very hard to protect from all harm in what has now been 30 years since its release. I noticed several were sun-bleached from being displayed directly where the sun's rays would hit it each day for likely at least a year. Sad.

The Great Moments is such a breathtaking Mickey Mantle card. Relieved when I bought it; glad I didn't wait a second longer. Chances are ify it would still be on eBay. Be that as it may, I came to the point where I desperately wanted that ultra-high grade specimen for my collection, and consider it one of my "white whales" from 1980 to the present day. For that matter, I genuinely regard the Ray Gallo autographed photo as a memorabilia white whale. They are somewhat plentiful, true; but let me paint a brief picture. If everyone on my block had one except me, as beautiful as it is, I would be depressed!

Cheers. At this point, thank you for reading this LONG post.

---Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 10-13-2018 at 11:03 AM. Reason: EBay research update to prove my point of card's rarity
Old 02-18-2016, 02:03 PM
Keith
ke.ith tem.ple

Default One or the other...

Pete Rose signed baseball "I'm sorry I shot JFK"

Or

1989 Fleer Billy Ripkin **ace double print PSA 10
...whatever I want
Old 02-18-2016, 11:51 PM
Ryan Waggoner

1967 Venezuelan Topps Hank Aaron base card. Any condition.
Old 08-19-2018, 04:44 PM

1963 Topps Al Weis rookie card . . . the only Topps White Sox card I don't own. It's not like it can't be found, I'm just not willing to pay that much for the privilege of acquiring Al Weis

I'm sure I don't have to explain this one . . .
Old 08-19-2018, 05:32 PM
Bob Andrews

This card....

cjack_chief_bender.jpg

...and this press guide. Last Orioles publication I lack.

54Guide.jpg
Old 08-19-2018, 06:35 PM
D@le Irv*n

1)-1952 Topps #407 Eddie Mathews.
2)-1952 Topps #314 Roy Campanella

There other 52 Topps cards that are high on my list such as, Berra, Martin, and Wilhelm, to name a few, but Mathews is definitely my whale followed closely by Campy.

Last edited by irv; 08-22-2018 at 08:33 AM.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:52 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

My current whale
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 39957a_med.jpg (10.2 KB, 529 views)
Old 08-20-2018, 08:52 PM
Michael Skiles

Default My Current Whale

1963 Post Cereal Frank Thomas EX-MT Raw
Old 08-21-2018, 05:25 PM
Ne@l K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
My current whale
wow. I have never seen that one.

I don't really have a modern white whale, but I'd love to find a 1960 Spic and Span Hank Aaron.

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 08-21-2018, 07:18 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

At this moment, PSA 9 1958 Topps Jim Davenport

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.

Last edited by JustinD; 08-21-2018 at 07:19 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:54 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Not that its hard to find, but more that its hard for me to pull the trigger.

A nicely centered, no creases, corner wear OK, 1953 Topps Willie Mays.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 08-26-2018, 06:52 PM
Peter Spaeth

1922 Felix Potin Winston Churchill.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-26-2018, 09:07 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
1922 Felix Potin Winston Churchill.
Fits the description.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 08-27-2018, 04:27 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

If we are going with post-1980 baseball, a genuine 1993 Ichiro Hawaiian Winter League card.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 09-02-2018, 08:03 AM
Al Jurgela

Default Henderon XRC

Chong's card... can never pull the trigger... but have wanted one for quite some time... always seems like other are willing to pay more....
50 Hage's Dairy (Minoso)
All Oscar Charleston Cards
Rare Soccer cards
Rare Boxing cards
Old 09-03-2018, 03:27 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

1955 Felin's Franks Panel #4- Whit Wyatt

The most expensive (but not the rarest) Whitlow Wyatt card.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 09-24-2018, 10:07 AM

I just recently got back into cards after about a 25+ year hiatus. On a whim I was going through my closet a few weeks ago and found the 1991 Topps Jose Canseco #390 All Star mis-cut card that I pulled from a pack as a kid.

Its mis-cut almost perfectly across the very top of the Topps T that it looks like the brand is "Lopps" instead of Topps. You can see a small amount of the T from the next card on the bottom.

I thought it would be neat to check it out online and maybe get a copy of a "correct card" Which has turned into getting at least 1 "instance" meaning parallel, errors, misprint, variation of that card.

It just had to be 1991 Topps...this is were the White Whale part comes in. I mean its kinda 1 card, but it's several of 1 card. My White Whale morphs!

So far I have:

1. Mis-cut
2. Normal front/football back
3. Regular base
4. UV Glow back base
5. O-Pee-Chee
6. Tiffany
7. Micro
8. Desert Shield
9. Desert Shield with mis-stamp beyond the border(got it from a well known Canseco collector(Tanner) and from other info I have read, it is not a fake)
10. Entire sheet with the Canseco #390 on it(and 2 more sheets for most of the set I think).
11. 2016 Archives Autographed Signature Series Buyback.
12. 2015 Archives Autographed Signature Series Buyback

What I know exists but don't have a lead on is the 1991 O-Pee-Chee Pre Production Sample Sheet with the #390. Saw it on this forum I think from a picture a member named Mishi put up, but I have been unable to contact them.

What I think exists are but can't find at all are:

1. Double front version Canseco one side and someone else the other based on multiple other cards from the 1991 Topps set being that way for sale online.

2. Blank front based on a Ken Griffey Jr card I think is from the same sheet as the Canseco #390 that is for sale online.

3. Blank back which I have very little info on.

What I am pretty sure don't exist are:

1. Mini Cracker Jack

2. Topps Pre Production Sample (there is a #700 but I don't think the set include the All Stars in the Pre Production Sample but I could be wrong).

As you can see I am pretty far down the rabbit hole of finding this "1" White Whale card.

Any help at all would be appreciated! Thanks!
Old 09-24-2018, 10:17 AM
Sean Sullivan

I thought I had a Cracker Jack set kicking around somewhere; let me look for it tonight. Maybe he is in there?
Old 09-24-2018, 11:40 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_W View Post
I just recently got back into cards after about a 25+ year hiatus. On a whim I was going through my closet a few weeks ago and found the 1991 Topps Jose Canseco #390 All Star mis-cut card that I pulled from a pack as a kid.

Its mis-cut almost perfectly across the very top of the Topps T that it looks like the brand is "Lopps" instead of Topps. You can see a small amount of the T from the next card on the bottom.

I thought it would be neat to check it out online and maybe get a copy of a "correct card" Which has turned into getting at least 1 "instance" meaning parallel, errors, misprint, variation of that card.

It just had to be 1991 Topps...this is were the White Whale part comes in. I mean its kinda 1 card, but it's several of 1 card. My White Whale morphs!

So far I have:

1. Mis-cut
2. Normal front/football back
3. Regular base
4. UV Glow back base
5. O-Pee-Chee
6. Tiffany
7. Micro
8. Desert Shield
9. Desert Shield with mis-stamp beyond the border(got it from a well known Canseco collector(Tanner) and from other info I have read, it is not a fake)
10. Entire sheet with the Canseco #390 on it(and 2 more sheets for most of the set I think).
11. 2016 Archives Autographed Signature Series Buyback.
12. 2015 Archives Autographed Signature Series Buyback

What I know exists but don't have a lead on is the 1991 O-Pee-Chee Pre Production Sample Sheet with the #390. Saw it on this forum I think from a picture a member named Mishi put up, but I have been unable to contact them.

What I think exists are but can't find at all are:

1. Double front version Canseco one side and someone else the other based on multiple other cards from the 1991 Topps set being that way for sale online.

2. Blank front based on a Ken Griffey Jr card I think is from the same sheet as the Canseco #390 that is for sale online.

3. Blank back which I have very little info on.

What I am pretty sure don't exist are:

1. Mini Cracker Jack

2. Topps Pre Production Sample (there is a #700 but I don't think the set include the All Stars in the Pre Production Sample but I could be wrong).

As you can see I am pretty far down the rabbit hole of finding this "1" White Whale card.

Any help at all would be appreciated! Thanks!
Could you post a pic of the card you got from Tanner with a close up of the DS logo?
Old 09-24-2018, 02:07 PM

Thanks!