NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 06-21-2012, 03:27 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default 1984 Mark McGwire Topps

Build it and they will come? Here is our new forum so I will start out with a small hobby catastrophe of mine.

I remember when McGwire broke the HR record. I was at a card show and bought one of these raw for $125. Several years later I sold it for $40-$50 in an 8 holder. I don't think they even bring that much today (though not sure)....Any other newer card stories?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mark-McGwire...#ht_500wt_1287

Old 06-21-2012, 03:44 PM
Chr!$ "Bubba" L@mb

Thank you for creating this Leon. I'm not sure how much traffic it will get, but I think alot of board members would be surprised to find out how many of us collect the modern/shiny stuff as well.

I'm just as happy to show off my Joey Votto Bowman Autograph RC as I am my collection of T206 Cincinnati Reds cards.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:50 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Default Mauer Galore and HOF rookies

In pursuit of my HOF autographed rookie card collection, I have to get a whole bunch of newer signed cards of some of these players and future players. But another focus of mine is Joe Mauer. I'd like to think and believe I'm an expert on his signature, and can usually pinpoint what year it is. I have roughly over 400 Mauer autographs, a good half or so more in person, and mainlly all on rookie cards.

Last edited by HOF Auto Rookies; 06-21-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:51 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterose4hof View Post
Thank you for creating this Leon. I'm not sure how much traffic it will get, but I think alot of board members would be surprised to find out how many of us collect the modern/shiny stuff as well.

I'm just as happy to show off my Joey Votto Bowman Autograph RC as I am my collection of T206 Cincinnati Reds cards.
Hey Chris
This forum won't eat much and doesn't cost anything....so it's not a big deal if it doesn't get too many posts. I do think it will eventually pick up some steam as the postwar forum has...though maybe not to that extent.

Last edited by Leon; 06-21-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:02 PM
Jim M.arinari

What's the over / under on first argument?
Old 06-21-2012, 04:04 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Build it and they will come? Here is our new forum so I will start out with a small hobby catastrophe of mine.

I remember when McGwire broke the HR record. I was at a card show and bought one of these raw for $125. Several years later I sold it for $40-$50 in an 8 holder. I don't think they even bring that much today (though not sure)....Any other newer card stories?

Leon I think you got a steal at that time for $125. I was seeing them sell for $500 a pop.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:06 PM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

I can relate to that story, Leon. I didn't pay $125 for a McGwire RC but I did pay $105 for the whole set. Thought I'd get it for my son who was born that year. Nice to have but a bad investment.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:28 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:

Boy, you pre-war guys know the S*** outta those cards, but enter the post Reagan era...... whoops!

That would actually be a 1985 Topps rookie. Too bad it wasn't a Tiffany.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:42 PM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

85 Topps but 84 Olympic Team.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:44 PM
Cameron Crafton

First: I would like to thank you for taking the time to create this section! Hopefully it will gorw and prosper in the near future haha.
Second: Now on to the topic of the Mark McGwire card you are talking about. The McGwire Oly-Team RC can actually go for quite a bit of money, especially if it is graded a 9 or a 10. I have seen Mark McGwire's that are graded 10 go for 340 dollars (The book price for a graded 10 Mark McGwire) up to 400 dollars! Now graded 9's don't go for nearly as much...more than likely they will go for 40-50 dollars, and 8's even less. However, if the card is Raw such as the one from the Ebay link, I would be surprised to see it go for anything more than ten dollars.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:48 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default yikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deertick View Post
Boy, you pre-war guys know the S*** outta those cards, but enter the post Reagan era...... whoops!

That would actually be a 1985 Topps rookie. Too bad it wasn't a Tiffany.

Don't ask why but for some stupid reason I have had 1984 Fleer on my mind all day. I have no idea why. So the "1984" is just stuck in my head. But admittedly I don't know the modern stuff almost at all.

As for the over and under on an argument in this area.....well, we could start now .

Last edited by Leon; 06-21-2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:53 PM
Steve Birmingham

I've got a bunch of those kind of stories, but was too cheap to spend big on anything.

Instead I'd buy big boxes of random cards and pull out all the "better but not big star" cards plus a few guys I thought had a shot at 3000 hits. Of course now I've got a nice box full of cheap cards of great players, as well as quite a few has-beens. Like Johnny Ray. Averaged 150+ hits for a few years, and I figured with a 20 year+ career he might make 3000.
Of course his 11th year he was released after a not so good season and just vanished. 1502 hits, almost exactly halfway and a .290 average, not bad. But not good enough.

On the plus side I also collected Signature rookies and got the same guy a few times for the signed card. I was a bit annoyed at the time since I figured none of the prospects were actually going anywhere. And 4 of the same guy wasn't as interesting as getting the set. Plus he was a Yankee.
Yeah, that guy Jeter didn't really stick Fortunately I was very slow about getting rid of the duplicates and did pretty well with them.

Steve B
Old 06-21-2012, 08:57 PM
Charlie

Thanks Leon, you had to bring up McGwire and make me find my card
I don't feel so bad now, I only wasted $18 around 15 years ago. Wow, a loss of only $8 over 15 years, if only some of my other investments were that good
Old 06-21-2012, 11:34 PM
Mike C.

That McGwire usa card is one of the first cards I bought when I got back into the hobby along with the rookies of all the other stars i watched as a kid and couldn't afford back then. Even as my interest in cards expands and grows I don't see myself ever selling those cards because they were the cards I always wanted growing up.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:31 AM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
Don't ask why but for some stupid reason I have had 1984 Fleer on my mind all day. I have no idea why. So the "1984" is just stuck in my head.
"1984" also appears on the front of the card, so that may have also influenced your thinking.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:27 AM
Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
I've got a bunch of those kind of stories, but was too cheap to spend big on anything.

Instead I'd buy big boxes of random cards and pull out all the "better but not big star" cards plus a few guys I thought had a shot at 3000 hits. Of course now I've got a nice box full of cheap cards of great players, as well as quite a few has-beens. Like Johnny Ray. Averaged 150+ hits for a few years, and I figured with a 20 year+ career he might make 3000.
Of course his 11th year he was released after a not so good season and just vanished. 1502 hits, almost exactly halfway and a .290 average, not bad. But not good enough.

On the plus side I also collected Signature rookies and got the same guy a few times for the signed card. I was a bit annoyed at the time since I figured none of the prospects were actually going anywhere. And 4 of the same guy wasn't as interesting as getting the set. Plus he was a Yankee.
Yeah, that guy Jeter didn't really stick Fortunately I was very slow about getting rid of the duplicates and did pretty well with them.

Steve B
Johnny Ray...Wasn't he a Pirate? I'm trying to picture him in my mind.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:07 AM
And.rew Mil.ler

Attachment 66843

Ahhhh.....Mr. Ray.....brings us into the era of the "ERROR" card...

Last edited by 7nohitter; 06-24-2018 at 02:14 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:24 PM

I traded 55 Topps All American football Hutson, 4 Horseman, Rockne, and others for a bunch of Todd Worrell, Cory Snyder, Eric Davis rookies circa 1988 or so....

How did I do?
Old 06-26-2012, 02:24 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

I remember a card show when I was about 14. A guy had a stack of 'em for $7 a piece. A few years later, he went on that HR binge. At that point I wasn't really paying much attention to the hobby, but I was went to some mall in North Dakota while I was in town for Junior National Wrestling tournament, and saw one with a $350 price. I about kicked myself. Anyways, I now own one, and paid maybe $7 for it on the bay a few years back.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:01 PM

Default Mcgwire

The modern market is all about timing. I had a friend who bought countless Mcgwire RC's like you mentioned for $5-10. He also bought a ton of Bond's glossy RC's and Classic Griffey's. Had them all graded by PSA and sold them at the height of the market before people realized how plentiful they were in high grade, and before the various scandals came about.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:29 PM
Robert D!ll!ngham

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeakac2 View Post
That McGwire usa card is one of the first cards I bought when I got back into the hobby along with the rookies of all the other stars i watched as a kid and couldn't afford back then. Even as my interest in cards expands and grows I don't see myself ever selling those cards because they were the cards I always wanted growing up.
Me too. I reentered the hobby in 2007 and was so excited to get RCs of Boggs, Sandberg, Henderson, Gwynn, McGwire, Ripken, Smith, etc.

I could care less that they're not worth much I just remember the late 80s/early 90s looking at them and wanting them so bad but not having near enough $ for even a single one of them.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:21 AM
R@nda!! H@hn

As you can tell from my ID I collect McGwire. I started back in about 1990 (late start) but when he was injured in 1993-94 I actually bought about 100 of his RC for $5 each at the Ft. Washington (nee Willow Grove) Show. I held them until 1998 and pulled out only the cream of the crop to be slabbed. I got all 8's and 9's. I wholesaled them to a dealer for $100 an 8 and $200 a 9. I did real good.

I still collect his stuff, mostly autographs and game used. Have maybe a few hundred cards. But not real active on those. His Tiffany RC still carries weight as does the 1993 Finest Refractors. I actually only came on here looking for info about the 1990 Donruss Aqueous cards. I was scanning Ebay for Mcgwire stuff that was ending and saw a 1990 Aqueous card. I did some research and saw they were rare and threw in a bid. I was blown out of the water as it sold for $825 which seemed like a lot for a guy who is personna non gratta! I did not see any forums talking about the plethora of the Aqueous cards that got listed on Ebay. Any comments?
Old 07-25-2012, 09:41 AM
Ryan Inns

This forum talked about the listings last week.

http://forums.collectors.com/message...rd1=Aqueous%20
Old 07-25-2012, 08:37 PM
Todd

Ah yes - I saw the recent group on ebay...finally picked up a 1990 Donruss Aqueous Kevin McReynolds for my Big Mac collection. I never thouught I'd have to pay nearly $40 for a 1990 Donruss McReynolds! LOL
Old 07-28-2012, 10:48 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by aro13 View Post
The modern market is all about timing. I had a friend who bought countless Mcgwire RC's like you mentioned for $5-10. He also bought a ton of Bond's glossy RC's and Classic Griffey's. Had them all graded by PSA and sold them at the height of the market before people realized how plentiful they were in high grade, and before the various scandals came about.
As did I with regard to the McGwires--must have made $1,000-plus off his '85 rookie at the National in 1998. Kept a couple Tiffany's, along with two of the regular card, one unslabbed, the other graded PSA Mint 9, and really don't know what to do or think about them now. Give 'em 20-25 years or so, and see if attifudes change!

Larry
Old 07-29-2012, 01:30 AM
Doug Goodman

The only time I ever "flipped" a card was when I bought a PSA 10 Topps 1985 McGwire for $1500 (or maybe a bit more) the week before he hit #62, and sold for double my money a couple days later.

Doug