NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-21-2004, 11:45 AM
Administrator

Default Another grading question.

Posted By: trib01

Quick question for everyone. I have a 52 topps Mantle that I would like to have slabbed just in case I would like to trade it off or sell it as some point. I sent the card in to SGC knowing very well that were two pen marks on the front on the border. I was hoping to find the card slabbed as authentic but of course it was returned to me as marked. Is there another route that I can take? I know that PSA slabs cards as authentic but I don't want to join the darn group I just want it proved authentic for the future. I called SGC to ask if they would slab it for me but they told me that they only do that for rare cards as the T206 Wagner. Any options for me or do I just need to bite the bullet and accept the fact that it won't get slabbed by anyone with a good name. Although it might grade an 8 by PRO:) Sorry had to take the jab there.

Old 09-21-2004, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jamie

psa is your best bet for an authentic grade. i dont believe beckett gives that grade. the only other real reputable grading company besides sgc and the two aforementioned companies is gai. you may want to try them

just curious, any interest in selling?

Old 09-21-2004, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: trib01

Thanks for the info. As for the other question - I can never say no but it would depend on the price i guess.

Old 09-21-2004, 06:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

I've asked Steve Rocci about authenticating some of my error cards and hand cuts, and he said they will authenticate cards if you don't want a grade. Costs the same as the grading service.

Old 09-21-2004, 06:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Since you already know it's authentic, why do you need a slab at all? Why not just accept that it is a real card, just low grade, and the reason you can't get it encapsulated is because of the writing. If you know it's good, then it's good. No one will dispute its authenticity.

Old 09-22-2004, 06:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bryan

What I am afraid of is that if I ever decide to get rid of it will I get more out of RAW or if it were Slabbed as authentic. I know that some out there are very questionable when it comes to high dollar RAW cards. I do know that the card is real but it is one thing to sell a card in person when you can actually see and it and it is another to sell it on Ebay or something like that. Maybe it would be best to sell it on an auction site like yours instead of ebay - to have a third party agree with me? Just a question. I have no plans of trading or selling it unless the deal blows off my socks I was just curious what everyone thought that I should do and what would be the best plan to take for the future.

Old 09-22-2004, 08:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Actually, I agree with you. You can enjoy it completely the way it is, but if you decide to sell it, the sad truth is you leave money on the table if it is unslabbed. Buyers just become nervous and think you may be withholding information. If you can find a grading company who will take it, maybe you should.