NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-28-2009, 08:15 AM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

Default SCD, Coach's Corner & TS O'Connell

Hi everyone, I am a new member to this forum and this looks like a great place to learn and exchange ideas.

I am Mike, the ring guy and I have been a very vocal contributor over at TS O'Connell's blog and comment section at the SCD web site. Like so many others, I was disgusted and upset with Coach's Corner being allowed to advertise in Sports Collector's Digest. As many of you know, Coach's Corner sells counterfeit autographs that are authenticated by STAT and Christopher Morales. Well to make a long story short, TS O'Connell did not like the constant criticism he was receiving in the comments section of his blog and he had told some of us that there was nothing he could do. He continued not to ignore our questions and pleas for help on this matter and finally shut down the comments section of his blog last week. This outraged many of us in the hobby. I decided that we needed to be heard and needed to educate the hobby and keep pressure on these creeps. I took my existing web site www.sports-rings.com and put a blog on the web site to deal with the problems Coach's Corner is having on our hobby, and how SCD and TS O'Connell are making it worse.

Please help us get the word out to the hobby. Please check out and contribute your posts to my blog.

Another person who is also trying to make a difference is Tom Tresh. His video's at youtube are terrific.

Please check us out and voice your comments:

my site: www.sports-rings.com

tom's site: http://www.youtube.com/user/TomTresh2
Old 05-30-2009, 02:12 PM

Default SCD Coaches Corner

I just finished a lengthy email to Dean Listle publisher of SCD telling him that I will not be renewing my subscription to SCD when it runs out next month due in large part for ignoring all our fellow collectors and subscribers in trying to clear up this forgery game that Coaches Corner continues to run in their auctions. I told him that he has a responsibilty to help clean up the autograph forgery problem when one arises. I know it probably wont do any good as he wont even spend the time to read it, but it was worth a try. I also challenged him to print it in a future edition with a response from him. We'll see. Just trying to do my part for my fellow collectors. Gary
Old 05-30-2009, 03:21 PM
Kevin O'Gara

Default t.s.oconnell

ive already cancelled mine because of coaches corner and that scd isn't what it used to be.
Old 05-30-2009, 05:36 PM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

Default can I publish your letter

Dear 69cubfan,

can you please send me a copy of your letter that you sent to the publisher? I would like to feature it in my next blog. I am not a very good writer and would appreciate the content.

I mentioned my website in the first post and there is an email address there.

Thank You,

Mike the ring guy.
Old 05-30-2009, 06:35 PM

No problem Mike, I just forwarded it to your email address.
Old 05-30-2009, 07:15 PM
qualitycards

Quote:
Originally Posted by khkco4bls View Post
ive already cancelled mine because of coaches corner.
I did the same thing last year. When my renewal came up, I wrote on it
That I won't buy or read the paper until C.C. is gone, and enclosed it in
the envelope.
Granted it probably was thrown away seconds after it was opened.
But I figured my small protest was better then just tossing the renewal
slip in the trash.

I was a steady subscriber to SCD since 1981
Old 05-30-2009, 07:24 PM
Dan Bretta

I hadn't been a subscriber to SCD for a long time, but I did purchase it regularly at my local card shop because it gave me a reason to stop by and say hello to the owner since I don't collect modern cards it was one of the few things I still spent money on in his store. I stopped buying it though when I found out about what CC was doing thanks to that 700+ post thread on the main board.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:38 PM

I cancelled my subscription about a year ago for the same reason.
JimB
Old 05-30-2009, 08:39 PM
keith janosky

I cancelled my subscription to SCD last month after about 20 years getting it and emailed Dean the guy in charge telling him my reasons and didn't even hear back. You would think a loyal subcriber for 20 they would at least try and talk me into staying but nothing no contact at all. According to some of you guys here and on other websites I have been reading about that cancelled there subscription SCD never contatced them either to try and get them to stay. Guess they don't care about loyal customers. We paid there salary for all these years and they don't even want to keep us.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:02 AM
Rob
R0bert Ge,ntieu

Thanks so much to all of you dedicated and passionate folks for doing the type of investigative work that SCD clearly has no interest in pursuing, and that this hobby so desperately needs. Unfortunately for everyone, fraud and shady business practices are pervasive in this hobby, but you would never know that by reading this total joke of a magazine. SCD instead chooses to bury its head in the sand and act as the official public relations mouthpiece for its dealer buddies and the auction house industry.

Take a look at the typical cover story from SCD. Is it a hard-hitting article explaining the allegations surrounding the shocking and sudden exit of hobby icon Bill Mastro from the industry? No.

Instead we get the same tired, recycled articles about 1967 Topps or 1955 Bowman with absurd, irrelevant comments about this players's sideburns or that guy's batting stance and zero information of any usefulness to today's collector. And O'Connell is the king of the long, clunky, poorly written sentence with big words used improperly.

And now this business with Coach's Corner and shutting down comments is the final straw. I was willing to hang on as a subscriber even with the useless editorial content, but what I can't condone is a magazine that's willing to compromise its own ethics and deceive its readers for the sake of the almighty buck.

Regards.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:53 AM
David Ros.enberg

Last edited by DJR; 07-31-2016 at 08:59 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:20 AM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

Default Please check out the blog.

Hi Everyone,

thanks for the quality responses and for your help. I just wrote a new blog and put two Letters-to-the-Publisher on the blog.

Please check it out: www.sports-riings.com (look for the blog tag on the right).

Also, I know this is off topic but I could use some advise. I am a ring collector and have had nothing but good experiences with Lelands in the past. They now have a ring in their auction that is a copy, not a real player ring. Honestly, it is easy to make this mistake, if you don't have a real ring to compare too. A week ago, I sent photos of a real ring where you can clearly see that their ring in the auction is no good. They have yet to respond to me or to take off the ring from their site. Should I start a new post and alert people, or do I need to relax and give them some time as the auction does not end for a while.

thanks

Mike the ring guy.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:31 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Mike

As they are an advertiser I too will try to help. Can you tell me what lot # the ring in question is? No need to post a seperate thread (yet) unless you really want too....I do believe it will be taken care of. I have been communicating with Josh lately, about something else, and have apprised him of this situation. A lot # will help though...regards
Old 06-01-2009, 10:57 AM
keith janosky

I feel bad for all the auction companies that advertise with SCD and the thousands and thousands of dollars they have spent over the years promoting there auctions and building there business then SCD decides to get in the auction business and can advertsie for free as many pages as they want in SCD. Nothing like screwing your faithfull advertisers that have been supporting and paying the SCD bills for years. If I was an auction company I would be ticked.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:13 PM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

Leon,

it is lot, 243. They just wrote me back after I told them I would be heading over to the forums to warn people. They told me they were waiting to hear from a ring expert for varification. Funny thing was I sent pictures of a real ring and the differences are very apparant.

Here is what the ring is supposed to look like:

The ring they have looks in the auction looks like:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ring.jpg (50.6 KB, 364 views)

Last edited by sports-rings; 06-01-2009 at 01:04 PM. Reason: added pic of auction ring+
Old 06-01-2009, 12:18 PM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

sorry, i hit it 2 times.

Last edited by sports-rings; 06-01-2009 at 12:19 PM. Reason: sorry, i must have hit enter 2 x.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:21 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Mike

I added a better pic of their auction ring.....lets see how this goes....I have no issue whatsoever of alerting folks to hobby issues, advertiser or not. I think they will do the right thing but their communication does seem to be a little slow in some respects....best regards

Last edited by Leon; 06-01-2009 at 12:21 PM. Reason: to be less harsh
Old 06-01-2009, 01:07 PM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

I feel bad for the auction houses that have to compete with scd's new site too. The advertising auction houses get screwed twice since they have to compete with Coach's Corner, who frankly, unlike a legitimate auction house may be supplying their own consignments and therefore, CC gets to keep the entire profit.

No wonder the big auction houses are advertising muss less in SCD.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:15 PM
Joe Jesselli

Much as editors at alternative weeklies have had to endure those detestable "massage parlor" ads, TS O'Connell is surely vexed every time those odious Coach's Corner campaigns run in SCD. Sadly, these publications are in many ways dependent on such ads for their survival. I'm quite certain O'Connell will be at the forefront when the case against CC has the imprimatur of the law. Until then, he grins, bears it, and cranks out fine copy week after week.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:47 PM
Lar.ry Mur.phy

I think it is deplorable what is going on and I appreciate, and I am entertained by this uprising of concern about the hobby. I do wish that these auction houses would simply say "no", and especially now that the periodical that has let us down for many, many years, is now competing with the advertisers who have kept them afloat.

I believe one forum member said it best (on another thread) about why we should support either venture and I wish that auction house heads would come forward and explain what their silence (and their continued support) actually means. I also hope that the day Coach's finally does get nailed (if that ever happens), that the periodical and what I assume will be down to fifteen pages (show ads), will make a comment about what has happened and TS can finally write something of value. For once.

I have enjoyed reading this forum and actually found it via someone sending me that amazing Christopher Morales thread from the old site.

As a vintage Cubs collector, that Frank Chance and 'Shoeless' Joe Jackson ball makes me sick to my stomach and is the very reason why I don't have a passion for autographs anymore, and have turned to being a cardboard collector.

Larry
Old 06-01-2009, 04:57 PM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

Default One Auction house speaks

I received a phone call today from Robert Lifson, president of Robert Edwards Auction. Yes, it was him, not an imposter as I had received a message and returned his call to his company headquarters.

He called to let me know that he saw my website blog at www.sports-rings.com and felt compelled to share his experiences and to inform me that my intuition was correct - advertisers are leaving SCD. Robert told me that he decided to cease advertising in SCD based upon SCD's relationship with CC. Unlike us, who do not have an opportunity to get upper management to communicate with us, Robert spoke to management at great length on this matter but could not get them to stop accepting advertisements from Coach's corner.

For now on, Robert Edwards auction will no longer support SCD through advertising in the publication. Robert left the door open, that maybe some day, they could be back, but not in the foreseeable future. This does hurt Robert Edwards auctions as Robert explained to me that the advertising helped the auction house increase consignments, however, they felt that they could not stand by and watch SCD pollute the hobby with garbage.

While the auction house is surprised and disappointed that SCD is now going into the auction business, this was not the reason they pulled their advertising.

As you know, REA is a class act with exceptionally high standards. It is not a coincidence that they get the highest prices in the industry.

If SCD is so intent on losing subscribers and advertisers, it makes you wonder what is really going on at SCD. Could the relationship between SCD and CC be closer than we ever imagined?

Let me know what you think,

thanks!

Last edited by sports-rings; 06-01-2009 at 04:59 PM. Reason: some type-o's
Old 06-01-2009, 07:04 PM
Alan Elefson

Hi-
I posted this message on one of the thread titled, "I laughed so hard..." last week, but it looks like that thread is now buried so I figure I will post again here. Especially considering that REA decided to pull their advertising, perhaps what I propose below could be achieved. As stated below, I am a tiny fish in the sea of the hobby, so my impact would not be great, but perhaps some of the bigger fish will decide to do this as well.

Has anyone tried to organize a public protest against SCD at a major show? If they are at Shriner's in Wilmington next week, I would gladly help organize (or participate in) a protest at their booth. Granted, this might get folks kicked out of the show, but if we apply enough pressure wherever there are representatives of SCD perhaps we can convince them to change their mind.
Or, how about a boycott of all dealers who still advertise with that magazine? I realize there are probably still some good dealers who advertise with SCD, but maybe a boycott (or a letter writing campaign) would help pressure them to spend their advertising dollars elsewhere. I have not seen an SCD in years, so I have no idea who advertises in there nowadays.
These are just suggestions (and probably bad ones at that), but I would be interested in helping in any way I can (although I am a very small fish in the sea of the hobby).
Alan Elefson
aelefson@hotmail.com
Old 06-01-2009, 07:08 PM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

great idea but I heard if you give them a hard time at a show, scd has had people ejected from shows.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:27 PM
Alan Elefson

Yeah, I figured as much. Still, it couldn't hurt to at least complain to the show's management wherever they setup that they are allowing a corrupt enterprise (at least while there is still a relationship between SCD and CC) to have a booth at their show. If they are at Wilmington, I know I will at least do this, and encourage others to do so as well. I really appreciate yours (and other folks) efforts in publicizing these issues.
Alan Elefson
aelefson@hotmail.com
Old 06-01-2009, 09:22 PM
qualitycards

Kudos to Rob by taking a stand and not advertising w/ SCD due to its affiliation w/ CC.
As stated early I was a non stop subscriber since 1981 and stopped because of CC.
I doub't my $39 (or whatever the rate is) really hurts them.
But full page monthly ads by REA do indeed hurt the bottom line.

Looks like SCD will stay w/ CC as their ship sinks.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:09 PM

I will first of commend Rob Lifson and let's hope others follow. You need to crawl before you can walk and stating the above is a start.

The truth of the matter is that those who used to have full page ads, now have tiny ads. I suppose they find value in any association with what was once the "voice of the hobby". I do not know what the ad rates are now as they were not posted, but gave you a number of online advertising packages. Has anyone even been to the SCD Forum? SCD is a brand name and it's a ghost town, with tumble weeds.

And most of the advertisers in the magazine are card guys or show advertisements. There aren't all that many big time dealers with full page ads, outside of Quality Autographs, Les Wolff and The Miller Boys, from the issue I saw a few weeks back.

On "non-Coach's" weeks, the periodical is reduced to between 34-36 pages I am told. I'm sure those pages vary, and perhaps the well respected auction houses may go bigger to promote an upcoming auction. I just read my first SCD in some six years and it took me all of forty-five seconds to get through it all.

DanC
Old 06-02-2009, 05:03 AM
Barry Sloate

34-36 pages is amazingly small, as I can remember a time, circa 1990, when the magazine topped out at about 400 pages. Probably the best thing that anyone can do is contact the FBI and let them know exactly what is going on. My understanding is they already know about CC, but they do move slowly. In time CC will be gone, and hopefully prosecuted too.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:24 AM

As I said in another post, I think the trick is that the FBI has to prove that CC is knowingly selling fakes before they can nail them.
They cant nail Stat or CM for being lousy authenticators,otherwise Don F. would be in year 8 of a life prison sentence.
I've always had a feeling that CC knows exactly how to play this game so as to stay just outside of the laws reach.

Last edited by J.McMurry; 06-02-2009 at 11:03 AM. Reason: my lousy spelling
Old 06-02-2009, 10:23 AM
Lar.ry Mur.phy

The person who wrote the above hit it the nail on the head.

There are over 1,000 page views for this forum thread and I wonder if the circulation rate of the one fine periodical mirrors that figure today. Does anyone know what the circulation rate is?

Larry
Old 06-02-2009, 11:11 AM
Bob.T*th

Default another cancellation

I cancelled my subscription years ago because of CC. I never had any intention of bidding with them because the stuff was obvious junk. I got tired of receiving my issue which consisted of a cover page, 78156 pages of CC garbage, and a closing cover page.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:54 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

One of the main reasons Rocky left SCD was that they allowed Morales and STAT to authenticate for CC. When I worked for Tracer Code we where sent about 250 pieces from CC only two passed. We where fired two weeks later. The same items that we turned down where sold two months latter. They where authenticated by Morales. If SCD trust Morales and STAT so much, why are they not using them instead of Jsa and Psa? Here is STAT's authentication statement.Verification
- STAT Authentic, an LLC registered in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, renders a service in expressing our opinion and knowledge, however, STAT Authentic LLC and its partners/employees does not guarantee the accuracy of our opinion expressed regarding any items submitted for authentication. We assume no liability whatsoever for any loss or damage allegedly sustained as a result of any opinion rendered.

STAT Authentic LLC is in no way liable for personal loss due to damage alteration or any other reason once this item leaves our possession.

This should give you a great feeling of security.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
- STAT Authentic, an LLC registered in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, renders a service in expressing our opinion and knowledge, however, STAT Authentic LLC and its partners/employees does not guarantee the accuracy of our opinion expressed regarding any items submitted for authentication. We assume no liability whatsoever for any loss or damage allegedly sustained as a result of any opinion rendered.

STAT Authentic LLC is in no way liable for personal loss due to damage alteration or any other reason once this item leaves our possession.

This should give you a great feeling of security.
Guess what?

PSA and JSA live by similar disclaimers.

They are responsible for nothing but cashing the checks.

Third-party "authentication" is bunk. Educate yourself before you buy.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:14 PM
keith janosky

What a way for Stat to get out of being liable for anything with the legal wording they use. I guess Joe Blow from Kokomo when he starts an authentication company can use the same words Stat does and he won't have to take any responsibility. The authentication companies used to put in there certs that the "item was guaranteed authentic". Now "it's our opinion" What's next "it's my wildest guess"
Old 06-02-2009, 12:56 PM

From the Collector's Universe site (Parent of PSA/DNA):

CU MAKES NO WARRANTY THAT (i) THE CU PRODUCTS OR ANY OTHER PORTION OF THE SERVICE WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS, (ii) THE SERVICE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED, TIMELY, SECURE, ERROR-FREE OR FREE OF VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS, (iii) THE RESULTS THAT MAY BE OBTAINED FROM THE USE OF ANY CU PRODUCTS OR ANY OTHER PORTION OF THE SERVICE WILL BE ACCURATE OR RELIABLE, (iv) THE QUALITY OF ANY SERVICES OR INFORMATION OBTAINED BY YOU THROUGH THE SERVICE WILL MEET YOUR EXPECTATIONS, AND (V) ANY ERRORS IN THE SITE OR SOFTWARE WILL BE CORRECTED.

From the PSA FAQ:

Q: Do you guarantee that the autographs you certify are genuine and those you do not are fake?
A: No. We do not guarantee autographs under the Vintage Certified program. By using this program, you are paying for the opinion of the top experts in the world, using state-of-the-art examination tools and techniques.

From the JSA site:

Certification and authentication involves an individual judgment that is subjective and requires the exercise of professional opinion, which can change from time to time. Therefore, JSA makes no warranty or representation and shall have no liability whatsoever to the customer for the opinion rendered by JSA on any submission.

Still think your piece is "guaranteed authentic"?
Old 06-02-2009, 01:16 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default autographs

I know there are a ton of autograph collectors and I also know that most, that are validated by a reputable company, are good. That being said unless you got it yourself there is always a leap of faith. It just depends on how far you are comfortable leaping....

Last edited by Leon; 06-02-2009 at 01:16 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:53 PM
keith janosky

Being an authenticator is like being a weather man. You don't have to be right and still get paid.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:48 PM
Bob Lemke

Default Oh, really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sports-rings.com View Post
great idea but I heard if you give them a hard time at a show, scd has had people ejected from shows.
Can you provide any specifics or has your rhetorical arsenal degenerated from opinion to wild-ass rumor mongering?
Old 06-02-2009, 04:28 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

I agree that none of the authenticators will guarantee that the items are authentic. It is who you can trust. Someone that is 2 percent correct or someone who is 85 percent correc.That is why Bob will not answer the question why SCD is not using STAT or Morales.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:09 PM
Bob Lemke

Default It's Collect.Com, not SCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
I agree that none of the authenticators will guarantee that the items are authentic. It is who you can trust. Someone that is 2 percent correct or someone who is 85 percent correc.That is why Bob will not answer the question why SCD is not using STAT or Morales.
Try to understand that SCD and Collect.Com Auctions are NOT the same company, although they are owned by the same corporation. The Collect.Com Auctions website has a list of those autograph authenticators whose COA/LOAs are accepted for consignments. You'd have to ask the auction comnpany's management to be sure, but my guess would be that any "authenticator" not on that list is deemed to not have the accepted hobby cred to create the necessary level of bidder confidence.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:54 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Bob, correct me if I am wrong. You know that the left hand is allowing garbage to be sold but you the right hand is selling good items. This what SCD has done for the last six years. When I did HBO special your company allowed UDA to defend themselves I was not allowed to answer them because I was a felon. The problem was I was right and they where wrong. The reason I was not allowed to answer was that UDA was a huge advertiser and I was a felon . Again I will tell you that Rocky tried to get my statement in and TJ turned it down. It is the time for you to say what you really think about CC. I think it is time for the left to get in tune with the right and stop this garbage. i would also say to anyone on this site until SCD stops CC I would not support them in anyway.

Last edited by shelly; 06-02-2009 at 10:00 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:40 PM

Default so, by that logic...

So, by accepting the advertising of Coaches Corner, does the staff at SCD believe that their items and authenticators of their items have acceptable hobby cred to create the necessary level of bidder confidence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lemke View Post
Try to understand that SCD and Collect.Com Auctions are NOT the same company, although they are owned by the same corporation. The Collect.Com Auctions website has a list of those autograph authenticators whose COA/LOAs are accepted for consignments. You'd have to ask the auction comnpany's management to be sure, but my guess would be that any "authenticator" not on that list is deemed to not have the accepted hobby cred to create the necessary level of bidder confidence.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:53 PM

So Sports Collectors Digest is a periodical, and basically has no affiliation with the auction company of the EXACT same name?

So you can purchase an item from an authenticator that SCD, the periodical "hyped up" from a company that has kept the periodical afloat all this time, but you are telling us that there really is no connection between the two, and there's a good chance that my item, that I won in the last Coach's Corner auction will not be accepted in the Sports Collectors Digest auction?

Mr. Lemke. You worked as the publisher for Sports Collectors Digest. How long were you at that position?

What can authenticators put in their certificates to appease the masses? It is after all an opinion, but what matters is what the educated public knows.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:22 PM

-

Last edited by Vintagedegu; 08-21-2014 at 02:10 PM. Reason: couple loose words..
Old 06-03-2009, 01:38 AM

I agree that advertising warping the main content can be a serious problem, but duly note that no newspaper, magazine, television or radios channel endorses all the products and services of its advertisers. If you look at your local newspaper there will be advertisements advertising mutually exclusive or diametrically opposed products and services. One ad for Sunday service may say there's only one God, while another ad for literature may proclaim there's none. The newspaper can't endorse both beliefs and the editors may subscribe to neither. I don't know where anyone got the idea that a magazine or newspaper endorses, or should endorse, all the products, services and positions advertised in its pages. In the case of the just mentioned two ads, the majority of editors, citizens and I bet Net54 members would say the best policy is for the newspaper to publish both ads, even though at least one of the ads has to be wrong. This policy would be saying that newspaper endorsement of the content of all ads is not only not necessary, its not desirable. Even non-Quaker readers would be POed if they found out the newspaper was blocking Quaker ads because the editors thought the Quakers got it wrong.

Last edited by drc; 06-03-2009 at 03:06 AM.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:43 AM
Banned

It wouldn't be unusual to see ads for Quaker State, Valvoline and STP motor oils in an issue of Car and Driver. However, it's doubtful you'd see 10 full-page ads for Rob's Motor Oil, which in fact isn't motor oil but rather is well known to be cans of water with purple and black food coloring added.

Edited to add: David, it would be nice if you would not go back and edit your posts after someone responds to some of the points you previously made.

Last edited by Rob D.; 06-03-2009 at 03:21 AM.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:13 AM

I do agree with others who dislike the CC ads and promotions, and agree that, for the benefit of the readers, not every ad should be accepted and product promoted by a magazine. I support Alcoholics Anonymous Monthly banning liquor ads from its pages.

Last edited by drc; 06-03-2009 at 03:26 AM.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:41 AM

"Mmmm,.. that's good Bass...."

Awesome, thats the first Bass-o-matic reference I've heard in about 25 years.

I think this situation boils down to what does SCD want to be in this hobby?,
they either want to be part of the solution or part of the problem.

They have given me the impression that they are content to be one of the problems.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:04 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default opinions....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagedegu View Post
This forum gives me 50x more hobby news than SCD did. Maybe ad-dependent hobby print just needs to die out. SCD is doing far more harm than good at this point...At least they could be honest and get rid of that laughable 'Voice for the Hobby' subtitle, what BS, 'Voice for the Advertisers' is more like it.

Maybe people will just think I'm idealistic, unrealistic and whatnot; oh well, I guess I am...
Actually CS, as you know Collect.com is an advertiser here. In addition to them there are other advertisers that folks don't agree with that might advertise here too. The difference is that on Net54baseball.com I won't edit or censor anything anyone says...unless an anonymous troll gets in. I am not sure this forum would be the same if you couldn't say what you want to. I, or the other moderators, won't tell anyone what to say or not to say. That being said everyone is liable for what they say. And as DRC said, I don't always agree with an advertiser or a forum member. I have my own views on stuff. best regards
Old 06-03-2009, 11:23 AM
Scott

http://www.myccsa.com/Lot/194/new-yo...frischetc.aspx

They keep right on rocking. Yeah, thats about as likely to be real, as me winning SUPER LOTTO.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:32 AM
keith janosky

Does anyone know if Stat or Morales go to C.C.'s place to authenticate this stuff or do they just look at a picture to make there decision?