NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-21-2004, 03:37 PM
Administrator

Default Looking for photos of 19th Century baseballs

Posted By: Rob L

I have purchased a few early baseballs recently and have been trying to research the history of the baseball. It is pretty apparent that little is known so I am trying to collect as much information and pictures of 19th Century baseballs that I can. Hopefully, I can do something with this info at a later date. If anyone has a 19th Century ball and can submit a photo and any info (including assumed age and circumference), I would greatly appreciate it. Currently, I have photos of 15 or 16 different balls right now.

Thanks,

Rob L

Old 04-21-2004, 07:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: hankron

Your project sounds like a great idea, and would make a great web page.

Old 04-21-2004, 07:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Harry Haller

I have an article from 1870: "How Base Balls are Made". It is about 700 words and goes into excruciatingly painful detail. If you would like, send me an email and I'll send you a scan. It's from "Oliver Optics Magazine".

Old 04-21-2004, 10:30 PM
Administrator

I would love to see the article. My email addresses are: loefflerrd@aol.com and rloeffler@advgeoenv.com. A website may be in the works and I have also been in contact with a few SABR members that have interest in this also.

Old 04-22-2004, 02:55 PM
Administrator

This is my latest acquisition. The ball is slightly larger than a golf ball. Based on size and lemon peel, this ball is likely a very early example.

Old 04-22-2004, 03:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Nickinvegas

What is a ball like that worth?

Nick

Old 04-22-2004, 04:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob_L

Hey Nick - how goes it?

I picked up that ball for $320. The ball that is pictured under my "login" name is a rarer ball (ie. stitching type is rarer)and was picked up for $ 499.00.

Old 04-23-2004, 01:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: hankron

I am no scholar of baseballs and even less knowedgeable about golf balls, but I beleive that some early golf balls had a similar stiching pattern and style to baseballs. Before anyone's heart skips a beat, I note that have seen early golf balls sell for good money.

Old 04-23-2004, 09:37 AM
Administrator

The feather golf ball, which was a ball filled with goose feathers, covered with a stitched hide and then immersed in water. The ball feathers would expand while the hide would shrink, making a hard ball. The balls were then painted. These balls ranged in age from the early 1600's until the early 1800's. Golf balls were made using Gutta Percha beginning in the 1840's. The original baseballs (including those used in Townball) ranged in size from golf balls to softballs initially and standardized sizes became more prevalent in 1854 and changed again in 1860. The standardized sizes were likely used by manufacturers at the time, however, many balls were still handmade with materials at hand, thus, the great number of ball sizes through the 1840's to 1870's.

Old 04-26-2004, 01:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob_L

The ball pictured above arrived today and it is most definitely a early baseball. The interior of the ball, which can be seen through a couple of the stitches is a wound twine. It turned out be much better than it was initially described.