NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-23-2015, 02:35 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Jack Weaver......a true Sports & non-Sports collector for 80 years

With very much sadness, I'm reporting the passing away of one of the greatest friends I have had the honor of knowing in this great hobby. I'd like to take a little of your time
to tell you about Jack Weaver.

Circa 1983, I was set up at a small BB card show at a Firehouse in Trenton, NJ. An older (mid-60's) gentleman approached my table, looking for 1934-36 Diamond Stars cards.
I gave him a stack of about 60 cards. And, I noticed that he was more interested in the backs of these Diamond Stars. So, I asked him if he was completing a set ? He said.....
"My 108-card set was completed in 1936, and I am now working on a Master set (170-cards)". Then, Jack told me of all the sets (Sports & Non-Sports) that he had completed
in the course of 50 years. His sets went back to 19th Century, early 20th Century T-cards & E-cards, virtually all the Goudey, Play Ball, and Bowman sets. And, a vast number
of Topps sets. The 1975 Topps set was one of his favorites. Including the Mini version, Jack had completed 14 sets of the 1975's.

To paraphrase Claude Rains to Bogey in the closing scene in Casablanca "this was the start of a great friendship"..when Jack informed me his Aunt was George Moll's secretary.
George Moll was the genius behind the Bowman Gum Co. in 1938 - 1955. The George Moll Advertising Agency in Philadelphia produced the Gum, Inc. (1938 - 1943) Sports &
Non-Sports cards. And, also for the 1948 - 1955 Bowman Sports and Non-Sports cards. Jack arranged for me to meet and interview some of the artists that were former em-
ployees of the Bowman Gum Co.

Jack was a professional artist who never really retired. In his later years he did artwork for many of the well-known BB players. When I would visit Jack at his home in Yardley,
Pennsylvania, I was amazed at all his artwork of living HOFer's that he had on display on the walls of his BB room. And, I'll never forget our great BB card trading sessions that
would last for many hours. Or, some exciting Phillies games we got to see with his season tickets.

Many of you may find this quite interesting. In 1973, Jack attended a BB card Show in Lambertville, NJ. There was a guy there from Princeton selling T206's. Jack acquired 40
cards for only $1 each. Included in this group were Johnson (pitching), and 3 green Cobb's. One of these green Cobb's was the "split-screen" card (that may be the same Cobb
that Jeff Lichtman owns).

At the Willow Grove Show in the late 1970's, Jack traded this unusual green Cobb for 5 - 1933 Goudey's. Needless to say, this was his biggest regrets in the hobby. Conversely,
in the early 1970's, Jack acquired one of his favorite BB players, Buck Weaver (OBAK) for a few $$.

Recently, when Jack consigned his collection to an auction house, he sold the above stated Johnson (SGC 84) for $4500. And, his Buck Weaver (SGC 60) for $4500.

Jack would occasionally check into Net54. He never posted, but did enjoy reading threads that pertained to his collecting interests.

Several years ago, my Family celebrated my birthday. Friends attending were Barry and Judy Sloate, and Jack and Jayne Weaver. Jack presented me a token of his artwork.....

There is a lot more I could say about Jack; but, I will leave you with this to ponder....we all love these little pieces of artistic cardboard that we collect and they will be here for
a very long time. Far more important are the people we meet in the process of collecting them and the long term friendships we establish because of this hobby.

GOD BLESS your soul Jack....and, comfort your Family.

TED Z

Last edited by tedzan; 10-24-2022 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Corrected typo.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:50 PM
MikeHealer

Sorry for the loss of your friend Ted, thanks for the story.
Mike
Old 02-23-2015, 02:50 PM
Brad Pencil

Sorry to hear the passing but a great story of friendship and bond over some cardboard.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:57 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Hey Ted
Sorry to hear of your friend's passing and please send my condolences. It is sad for our hobby too. He sounds like one of the great "old guard" generation which we are losing at a rapid pace. May he rest in peace.

Last edited by Leon; 02-23-2015 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:58 PM
Brendan Mullen

great story
Old 02-23-2015, 02:59 PM
pete ullman

Sorry to hear about your loss, Ted...Jack sounds like a really cool guy?
Old 02-23-2015, 03:25 PM
Bob McLean

Very sorry for your loss. Most of us are lucky to have a few friends in our later years. It is obvious that Jack had a real friend in you Ted.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:31 PM
James R. Hill

Sorry for your loss. He sounds like he was a great man. Thanks for posting your memories of him.
James
Old 02-23-2015, 03:48 PM
Mark Hooks

Ted, sounds like you and Jack had some really fun times together. I sure bet he had some great collecting stories. It's guys like Jack that could put a great baseball collecting story book together. Sorry for your loss.

Mark

Last edited by cincyredlegs; 02-23-2015 at 03:49 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:00 PM
A.J. Johnson

Great story and very cool you guys became friends! Would be neat to travel back to 1973 and buy em by the truck load!
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time
Old 02-23-2015, 04:02 PM

Default Sorry for your loss

Ted,

Sorry for your loss.

Treasure all of your friendships.

Patrick
Old 02-23-2015, 05:17 PM
Steve Woe.lfel

Very sorry for your loss Ted, it sounds as though you are left with some very fond memories. We're lucky to find even a handful of friends like that as we travel through life.
T206 SLers: 11/48
T206 Back Run: 28/39

Desiderata

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Strive to be happy.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:25 PM
Greg Ryk0w$k1

Sorry for your loss, he truly sounds like a great guy.

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/gregr2
Old 02-23-2015, 05:50 PM
Eric Perry

Hi Ted,

Please accept my sincere condolences regarding the loss of your friend. The hobby was better for knowing him and he will be sorely missed.

Sincerely,

Eric
Old 02-23-2015, 05:51 PM
Dave

I'm very sorry to hear of your friends loss. A great story to read about your friend.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:55 PM
Barry Sloate

Hey Ted- I guess I met Jack, because I do remember him handing you that card. Sounds like he lived a long and productive life. Sorry you lost a good friend.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:58 PM
Michael S.

Although it serves as very little comfort to you during this difficult time; the sharing of that story allows Jack's memory to endure, within a circle of people who would have enjoyed his passion the most.

Thanks for sharing!
Old 02-23-2015, 08:08 PM
Barry Arnold

Default ted z

a very moving story of a great friend.
my heartfelt condolences to you and Charlotte.

with sincerest sympathy,

Barry
Old 02-23-2015, 09:09 PM
D@niel.P@trick.Johnson

Great story Ted; thanks for sharing.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:54 PM

Sorry to hear of the passing of your friend Ted. I always enjoy your posts and stories since it harkens back to the days of collectors meeting up and trading and looking at each others cards for pure enjoyment. It reminds me of days of fun trading with my childhood friends...

Ricky Y
Old 02-24-2015, 04:55 AM
Glyn Parson

Default I often

say the only thing i truly hate about getting older is losing friends and family i love along the way. I can handle my own physical aches and pains as the come but the emotional ones are sometimes just too much to want to deal with. My condolences to you Ted and to all his other friends and family. May he rest in peace. Sleep in the stars Jack.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:51 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Condolences on the loss of your friend Ted.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:28 PM
Tim Newcomb

Default Wonderful story-

Ted,
Thanks for posting about Jack - he sounds like a great character. Tell us more about what you remember when you have a chance.

Best,
Tim
Old 02-24-2015, 08:23 PM
FredYoung

Default Hi Ted--

Very sorry to hear of your loss of a great friend, but your stories & memories of him will always be with you! My condolences, my friend.

Fred
Old 02-24-2015, 08:49 PM
Marty K.

Default Friends

Ted ......Thanks very much for sharing that story .....Maybe we all should try to share these type of stories now about friends both living and dead.. Would make a great thread.....God bless him for the relationship he had with you Ted.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:36 PM
Val Kehl

Ted, sorry for your loss and the hobby's loss. And, thanks for sharing your great memories.
Val
Old 02-25-2015, 08:45 AM
Ted Zanidakis

I'd like to express my appreciation to everyone here who took the time to read my tribute to Jack Weaver. And, to express my gratitude for your sincere words of respect.

I last visited Jack this past year. At age 89, his mind was still as sharp as ever. After we did several BB card trades at his house, we went to lunch at the Greek restaurant
in Yardley (PA). There we did some "talking Baseball", and as usual reminisced about the hobby.....especially regarding the good ole days at the Willow Grove Show; and,
the characters in the hobby back then.

In the course of our conversation, I asked him if he had 2nd thoughts about selling his collection. He said he had mixed feelings; however, he kept his Diamond Stars set.
Many cards, of which, were from his youth when he paid pennies for them (1934-36). Being an artist, Jack appreciated the 1930's "Art-Deco" style of these cards. And, I
did not think Jack would part with them. He was a few cards short of a 170-card** Master set, and was still working on it.

** Note....Jack and I had figured that 62 variations were needed to achieve a Master set in addition to the basic 108-card Diamond Stars set.

Thanks again, guys.

TED Z
Old 02-25-2015, 11:06 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Ted, I'm sorry for your loss as well as the hobby's loss. Always sad to have another collector pass from our ranks.

Thanks for the post and sharing stories on Mr. Weaver.

Cheers,

John
Old 02-27-2015, 08:06 PM

Default Jack weaver

Ted, sorry to hear about the man we knew as Mr Weaver. When my brother and I began collecting in 1975, we soon met a very nice man willing to share his stories, his art and his card collecting with us. He was one of our collecting mentors. I was just talking with a friend of mine two days ago about Jack as I just bought a lot of 62 Diamond Stars and I thought of him. In all those years he always said the high numbered diamond stars were soooo tough.
We too enjoyed great trading sessions with him or seeing him at the flea markets near New Hope or at the Willow Grove shows.

Mr Weavers artwork was interesting and fun. Just like him. Though I haven't seen him in years, I did call him to chat when he decided to sell a lot of his collection. Thise were the days. He will be missed. Jeff J
Old 02-27-2015, 08:44 PM
Joe Drouillard

Ted I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. Sounds like a great guy. I will say a prayer for him and his family.

Joe
Old 02-27-2015, 09:23 PM
Archive

Ted

Sorry to hear about the passing of your friend.

My condolences to you and Jack's family.

Jantz
Old 02-28-2015, 12:35 AM
Mike C@.v3

Ted,

I'm sorry to hear about the passing of Mr. Weaver, as he was a great friend of yours. Thanks for sharing these precious memories with us...I enjoyed them very much.

RIP Jack
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48
Old 02-28-2015, 06:08 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Thanks again guys for all your very considerate and sincere words.

Jeff......Jack was right regarding the Diamond Stars (DS) High # series (card #s 97 - 108). These cards were the last ones for me when I completed my set.
Furthermore, most collector's DS want lists invariably needed some, or all, of these 12 cards.

One more story to share with you. Every November, the Philadelphia A's Historical Society would sponsor a Members Breakfast Gathering that would feature
former A's players (Lou Brissie, Eddie Joost, Bobby Shantz. Gus Zernial, etc.). Jack and I occasionally attended these Gatherings. Fall of 2002, Jack called to
tell me that the keynote speaker at the A's gathering will be Connie Mack III. This was certainly a definite Breakfast for us.

The former U.S. Senator from Florida, Connie Mack III thrilled us for more than an hour with stories of his famous Grandfather. Afterwards I had a chance to
talk with Connie. A really down-to-earth guy to converse with. Plus, he signed my 1950 A's Program celebrating Connie Mack's 50th Anniversary.

TED Z

Last edited by tedzan; 04-17-2018 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Corrected typo.