NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-14-2004, 08:21 AM
Administrator

Default Life could not be better...

Posted By: Dan Elsass

I was sitting here thinking about the N54 strand and how much I enjoy reading each of your posts and began to wonder what the most bizarre or extreme place that each of you have battled to get access to a computer and on the internet in order to read this forum.

You see, I am not just sitting here... I am over 100 miles out to sea this week and am utilizing what is called INMARSAT in order to access the internet. Each page takes a long while to load, but I patiently wait in order to get my daily, or as often as available, fix of what all of you have to say about these wonderful things we called vintage cards. Matter of fact, when I discovered this forum I was in the Persian Gulf and had been there for over 5 months when I stumbled across it. What a refreshing thing it was to be a part of collecting from such a long way away. In a sense I am thanking each of you for taking me away from the Navy if not only for a little while every couple of days while deployed.

Please share some details of your "long range" web browsing endeavors. Thanks, and as always, Best Regards to all, Dan.

Old 07-14-2004, 08:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

And thanks for serving our country. We pray every day for your safety and that of the others stationed "over there".

I've never really been anywhere without ready computer access since I found this board. As a self-employed attorney, I take my laptop with me on vacations and trips so I can stay up with my office emails (I'm debating whether to bring it to the National next week, or whether I should make it my first total vacation since 1996). The most I can say is that I have incurred the horrific costs of Las Vegas hotel internet access to read this board. And I thought my billing rate was high

Old 07-14-2004, 09:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: andy becker

be safe, be well, and enjoy the forum. we'll continue praying everyday for a safe return for everyone. i catch up on weekdays, rarely log in from the house...and by monday morning i can't wait for three days worth of reading and info. best, and most informative site for vintage period. thanks bill and elliot, and anyone who proceeded. but the biggest thanks of all goes to the men and women overseas...THANK YOU!!!

Old 07-14-2004, 09:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: steve k

Dan - I also have only ever accessed this forum safely at home on my PC. It's people such as yourself in the Armed Services that allow us to be able to feel safe at home and have freedom of expression. I realize your intention for the thread wasn't to receive accolades, but I do want to say THANK YOU!!!

Old 07-14-2004, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

I also would like to thank all the service men and women that are serving our country or have served our country in the past. It is the greatest duty that we can hold and am very grateful to you all for allowing all the freedoms I have.

Be Safe

Lee

Old 07-14-2004, 02:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

If I am away from home and my friend doesn't have a computer, then I head for the local library to get my internet fix.

I did 6 years in the Navy's nuclear power program and spent 96 days at sea without seeing a port, so I can relate to what it's like. Thankfully, I owned an AppleII in the mid 80s and that kept me entertained at sea. I was in an APBA league on board and I kept all the stats on my computer.

I didn't find the internet until 1988 when all that was available was USENET and ftp protocols. No pretty pictures. Even back then, there were card dealers using the USENET boards to try and drive prices on cards claiming that people were paying $XXX.XX for such item to justify their selling price and showing a print out from the computer in their ad. What they didn't tell you was that the person that was supposedly paying that amount was a buddy of their's. Whenever I contacted these people with silly buy prices, I was always told that they had a buge response and were no longer interested in buying. Gee, why would stop buying a supposedly hot product that was supposed to make huge jumps in value?

Jay

Old 07-14-2004, 02:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Elsass

As one of you stated, it was not my intent to get praise with this post. I really was curious if any of you had been in strange far off places and had a good ol' hankerin' for some vintage discussions, pictures, etc. I will be getting home tonight with my feet on the ground, unfortunately I have to catch a helicopter to get me back in to Norfolk. It is my first helo ride so I am not all that enthusiastic about that endeavor. Just something about helicopters that I never figured out in my mind, maybe because I could never make a paper helicopter, only paper airplanes.

Thanks again all of you, this post has seriously rekindled my vintage collecting and made me open my eyes to so many vintage items that I would have never been able to see otherwise.

Best Regards, God Bless you and yours, Dan.